Tag Leonard McCoy
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

Three months. For three months, she and the Terran, who, she'd finally found out was named Leonard McCoy, had been here. Wherever it was that 'here' was. It seemed to be a strange mish-mash of places, and, it appeared, times, since McCoy told her that many of the places they visited resembled different periods of Terran history.

Unfortunately, none of the locations, or at least none of the ones they'd visited so far, since new locations seemed to appear all the time, seemed to have technology compatible with, or equal to, the one of their home. Which was problematic, since the shuttle had sustained some damage during the trip. Nothing that she couldn't repair, given the proper parts.

Parts that she might be able to obtain, since one of the things that she'd discovered was that many of the places, and even the people, of the Hub were echoes of what was found in the home universe of their inhabitants. On a purely intellectual level, it was interesting to have confirmation of the notion that 'the Universe' was actually a infinite variety of interlocking timelines. However, once she moved beyond theory into practicallity, it did pose certain complications. She'd been told by some of the people who moved back and forth between the different multiverses that technology from one place didn't always work in another, so even if they could find someone who could make the parts, Jaya couldn't be sure that the parts would continue to function once they were 'home'. Which, since their wormhole was in space, seemed like more of a risk than she was willing to take.

So, the question was how to get the needed equipment and materials. Then, she'd found out from a long time resident of the Hub that people saw what they expected to see, and that the grey mist seemed to respond to whatever it was people remembered from their former homes and lives. Which meant that their relative education and sophistication might actually be a disadvantage in this case-she and the good doctor hadn't expected to see anything familiar, so they hadn't.

Once she'd had that information, Jaya had decided to try an experiment. If it failed it would be no loss of anything except time, and if it worked, it would provide proof of concept for what she would try next, which was try to call up the materials needed to repair the shuttle from memory.

And, she thought with some satisfaction as she looked around the room, she had her proof of concept. As well as something that would keep her comfortable, and provide a way to get information during the rest of her stay. And information, she'd discovered, was the true currency of the Hub. Information and companionship, since those were the two things that couldn't be supplied by the memory echoes. And what she'd made would be the ideal place to collect one, and supply the other, Jaya thought, looking around the room with great satisfaction.

It was a copy of her family's club on Veretex III, with comfortable areas for lounging, piles of bright colored pillows surrounding low tables, all of them with a good view of the central floor.

Which was where she was standing now. This might look like the club from her home, but it wasn't it. This was a new creation that she'd called into being, and so Jaya wanted to do the ritual needed to claim this space. Both spiritually, by invoking the blessing of the Luck Goddess and the Lord of the Hearth, and physically, by imbuing the space with her pheromones. And, as was typical of Orion rituals, both of these things were accomplished through dance.

Jaya had already stretched, and relaxed the mental safeguards that kept her pheromones in check, prevented them from being released into her sweat. This time, she wanted to release them.

To an observer who wasn't schooled in Orion dance, the movements doubtless looked uncontrolled, wild, and rawly sexual. To a more educated observer, she was stating her name and lineage, claiming the space for herself and her family, consecrating it to the furtherance of the well being of herself and her lineage, and asking for the help of her gods in doing all that. Oh, there were plenty of gyrations, but Orions had never seen the need to separate their bodies or their sexuality, from the rest of their lives.
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Mostly Hetro
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 149
Three months.

Three damn months.

Three god damned months.

No rescue, no message, no way home and a shuttle and it's partially depleted contents his only possessions.

He couldn't say the locals weren't a friendly sort, but damn it this wasn't his world. Hell apparently this wasn't even his universe!

He'd always held a distant sort of sympathy for ambassador Spock, now however he had a much clearer first hand perspective for how much it sucked.

For the first few weeks he'd honestly assumed that they would be rescued, that Jim, Spock and Scotty would just appear one day having punched through the fabric of reality to collect his ass.

Three months and that dream hadn't completely died. But he was no longer expecting the miracle.

At least not when asked.

From what he'd figured out he couldn't starve, or rather the shuttles nutrients weren’t being depleted. So he'd survive like that. Whatever crazy ass rules this place lived by he wasn't going to die from lack of edible food or vitamins.

His hitchhiker had made the transition smoother than he had, but than he figured she was more used to making new starts.

What he couldn't be was idle and this place had enough displaced ‘real’ people (and yes he'd figured out real quick that the majority weren't) that a doctor with access to fairly advanced tech was welcome enough. He wasn't even going to get into the ‘magic’ some folks practiced but in the center ‘old town’ as he'd mentally started calling it there was blocks set up by nearly profession or trade.

The fact that he came from a place that already knew of and had techniques for dealing with unknown beings meant some of the other stranded non human folks he could actually treat.

He'd arranged a space next to an old school apothecary. Which was what he'd come to tell Jaya.

What he didn't expect to walk in on was a brand new building with her dancing.

He didn't even need to know intellectually that she was releasing pheromones, his body was doing a damn fine job of letting him know that for sure.

God damn it.

He paused mid breath, turned in his heel and went to go sit on the stoop like a damn dog.
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya had been aware of it when McCoy entered the building, although she had ignored him, since she was almost done with her dance. And, based on prior experience, she knew that this particular Terran was deeply offended when she released her pheromones. Jaya found this attitude annoying, and even slightly offensive, but she tried to honor it. After all, she did want to get home, and based on what she'd seen so far, the Terran had the only warp capable ship in this place.

Her dance completed, Jaya took a moment to wipe off the faint sheen of sweat, which, naturally, would contain the offensive pheromones, mentally shut down the production and release of more, and went to see the Terran.

Who, it was quite obvious, had reacted to her dance, and to her pheromones, and to the sight of a lovely woman the way that any healthy male would, assuming he was sexually attracted to females at all. Especially if the male in question had gone without coupling for at least three months, which, to the best of her knowledge McCoy had. Another piece of the Terran's behavior that she found incomprehensible. It was true that the simulacrums who were the largest number of inhabitants of this strange place were oddly unsatisfying to couple with, but there were plenty of "real" inhabitants to choose from. How he'd gone without for so long was beyond her understanding, especially when so many of the people who inhabited this place were Terrans. Surely, even if he was one of the people who didn't couple outside of their own species, he could find a suitable partner. Perhaps, Jaya thought as she headed for the door, that was why he found her pheromones offensive. His body couldn't help but react, while intellectually he was repulsed by the idea. She'd have to find a way to bring it up in conversation.

Jaya opened the door (no doubt hitting McCoy with another dose of pheromones in the process) and sat down next to him on the steps. "I apologize if I made you....uncomfortable." she said, eyes drifting to his lap. "I was consecrating the building. Its a replica of my family's club, I was able to call it up from the mist."
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“While it is technically your fault, it ain't if ya catch my drift.” Leo knew that she was sexually available, hell he'd near walked in on her a few times. He didn't in the least judge who or how often she took to her bed. But for him? There was something holding him back. More of that primitive chivalry, telling him that he'd never quite be sure if it was what she wanted vs some bartering on her part.

“Well that's sure interesting.” Leo pulled out his flask taking a sip, of what was in this case simply vitamin fortified water. “Figured out the trick?” She'd mentioned some of her detective work over the weeks. For his part...well he couldn't see him conjuring anything he felt strongly enough...or rather anything he wanted that badly he didn't want to see.

Painful reminders of what he was missing.

“Sorry darlin’ didn't wanna interrupt. Just wanted t’ tell ya I'm moving next door to that winged apothecary fella.”
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya understood that Terrans, at least some Terrans at any rate, were reluctant to engage in sexual activity that had even a whiff of commerce, even if the commerce was only a mutually satisfactory exchange of services. It wasn't, however, an attitude that made any sense to her. As long as both participants were willing, why would it matter what factors had gone in to the decision making process? Particularly when there were usually a number of factors that went into that conclusion. In Jaya's case, she was interested in coupling with McCoy because she found him physically appealing, because she liked him, and so was concerned that this prolonged celibacy was causing physical and psychological damage, because the physical contact they had engaged in had made her think that coupling with him would be pleasant, and, finally, because she wanted to remain on good terms with the person who had the only spaceworthy, warp-capable ship that she'd seen in this place. Any one of which, she felt, would have been a perfectly reasonable motivation to engage in coitus with him. But Terrans were strange, in so many ways.

"I caused the problem, so I at least owe you an apology." Jaya said with a smile "Since I know that you won't ask me to provide any relief. And would turn me down if I offered." acknowledging the facts, and giving him an opening to let her know if he'd changed his mind.

Moving on to business, in part because she'd noticed that he seemed more relaxed, and receptive to her, when she was focused on practicalities, and not playing the flirt. Terrans, or at least this Terran, were strange. "I believe that I have, yes." Jaya replied "It was just a matter of entering a meditative state, and recalling as much as I could about the place. There are some things that seem to work, like that plumbing and electrical systems that I don't know the precise details of, so it isn't based just on my memory." she gave an elegant shrug "But what is important is that everything does seem to work, and that I was able to do it. I want to wait two weeks, to make sure that it continues to work and hold together. Then, if that is successful, I'l try to create the place where I learned to do spacecraft repair, and hopefully that will have the parts we need. Or maybe if I can envision the parts."

"You didn't interrupt anything." Jaya replied "I was almost done with the dance when you arrived. I'm going to be opening it up as a place of enjoyment, like my family's club, and so I wanted to do the traditional ritual." she doubted that he knew, or cared, very much about Orion religion, from what she could tell, the Terran was a dedicated materialist. "I was planning on moving here." Jaya replied. Even though space was not at a premium in the Hub, they'd started out sharing living quarters, partially because in a strange place, it was good to have something familiar. "You would be welcome to move into one of the rooms here, if you don't want to live in the same space as your office." she smiled "And I hope that you'll come by to visit, McCoy. Its good to see someone from the same universe."
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

He was aware it was his own cultural hang ups that had him uncomfortable with the idea of moving their relationship to the physical. Hell most of Terran cultures gave two fucks about that sort of thing. Bad luck he was the definition of ‘old fashioned’.

McCoy rubbed his chin thoughtfully as she explained her findings; “Ya know...almost reminds me of the Guardian of Forever. Was a portal to all of time and space. Hell even saw alternate time lines there.”

Was that where they were? Caught in some form of bridge like the Guardian had been?

McCoy shook his head, “That's not the way it works darlin’ least ways not that I've seen. Things made here work here but they don't...move well.” Leastways that's how he'd been hearing things in the marketplace quarter where the ‘science’ folk tended to gather.

“Best advice I've gotten is that we should barter with folk that come from tech bases near federation to bring in parts that we can adapt or custom order.” Of course he was aware that it might be a scam but it didn't feel like it. Otherwise why would there be any kind of economy if people could just dream up anything they wanted?

McCoy brushed his shoulder against hers, “Just save me a seat at the bar darlin’ we gotta stick together.”
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya was 'old-fashioned' herself. Of course, in the Orion Syndicate, 'old-fashioned' meant different things that it did on McCoy's homeworld. To Jaya 'old-fashioned' meant, well, all of the things about her attitudes towards sex, and relationships between males and females that McCoy found so problematic. It was, she'd often thought, a pretty puzzle. And one she wasn't certain that she had the solution to, since there was a good chance that using her pheromones to resolve the situation might well get her stranded here.

"Its possible." Jaya replied "Certainly, its a nexus between universes. And some of the universes are not compatible with any timeline that I am familiar with from our universe. Tell me more about this Guardian of Forever. It may provide us with some clues."

She nodded as he voiced his concerns, she'd heard some of them from the people she'd spoken to. "You might be right. On the other hand, I've also heard that sometimes things that are manufactured in one universe don't transfer properly to a different universe." she sighed "I wish my sister Maya was here. I'm a decent mechanic, but she's the engineer in the family. She might be able to come up with some kind of a probe that would let us select the option least likely to leave us drifting or worse. But regardless, I'm going to need a proper shop to get the shuttle repaired in, I don't think it will matter if the tools I use cannot be transferred back to our universe."

"A bar stool?" Jaya said, moving so that her hand was on his knee, "I've reserved an entire booth for you, McCoy."
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

McCoy tried to think what was relevant to tell her; “Said it was a machine. One created by a long dead race. Could transport you back to any point in the past on any planet. Whereby really any safe guards against tamperin’ with the past either.” And now the federation maintained an armed observation post there to guard and learn from it.

Leo sighed, “Ya sure what good it will do us here, now but reminded me. “ Leo stood popping to his toes with a stretch. “So wanna show me around the place I got a permanent place at?” Assuming the pheromones were at a level he could deal with.

“Ya know… even if we get the shuttle working there's an assumption that the wormhole is in range.”
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya considered, thoughtfully "That does sound similar. But if there is any intelligence running this place, no one seems to have met it. Not to mention that this place seems to get people from many different universes. Even some where the laws of physics seem to be different." Jaya had spent an evening with a wizard who'd insisted that yes, of course you could create matter. It had been an interesting experience.

"Of course. It would be my pleasure." Jaya said, waiting for him to stand and then holding out a hand so that he could help her to her feet. Not that she needed the help, of course. But he was a male, and a male who set a great store by what Terrans called 'chivalry" at that. As Jaya understood the concept, it seemed mainly to involve Terran females pretending to be helpless, and Terran males offering unneeded assistance, presumably as a way of demonstrating that they would offer assistance when it really was needed. Besides, physical contact with him was enjoyable, even if it had, up to this point, been annoyingly brief. She didn't warn him about the pheromones, assuming that he knew what he was getting into. "I don't think we need to worry about the wormhole, it should be near the shuttle, at least on this side."

As they stepped inside, the pheromones, although not as strong as they had been, were pervasive. Jaya had, after all, been marking the place with her scent, at least in part. The club was empty, except for the two of them. The space was roughly rectangular, and to the left of the door was a bar, with a scattering of tables and chairs. To the right, a few booths lined the walls, but most of the space had low tables set near either low sofas or futons that were heaped with pillows. All in all, it would be an idea space to spend an enjoyable evening. "This is the club proper." Jaya said "Beyond those doors" she pointed to one side of the bar "is the kitchen. And on that side, those doors lead to the areas for more private entertainment. Off of the kitchen there are stairs that lead to the family quarters." she smiled at him "Which would you like to see first?"
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“There is that.” McCoy conceded, “I’m a doctor not a quantum physicist, not gonna be much help in figuring out how to get us home.” He’d already admitted as much in the first weeks they’d been stranded there, before he’d come to the conclusion that rescue was the only option. Before he’d started to lose hope.

Taking her hand was automatic, as she knew it would be, McCoy knew that she played to his nature, and that was all well and good. Hell even back home the dance had worked because all the participants knew the moves. “Family Quarters?” He glanced at her eyebrow raised curiously. He’d gotten half an introduction to the ‘way things worked’ like she had from various people already living there, but he wondered if she was planning on ‘creating’ her family here. Or just hiring ‘real’ folk.

“Gonna serve food?” Bones laughed, “Gonna need to figure out a barter system darlin’ I can cook but that gets old after a while.” And since he was ‘planetside’ he wanted to hold the replicator stores for emergencies. Plus fresh was always better. “Speakin’ of…” Bones reached into the rucksack he’d taken to carrying around, it taking the place of the medkit he’d have worn on away missions. “Here thought ya’d like this.” He handed over the wrapped parcel. “Checked got nothin’ bad for ya metabolism an’ got a few trace minerals ya might be missin’.” Inside was an odd layered pastry still warm, meat sandwiched between thin dough and nuts. “Ran into it at a little bakery near my shop.” He didn’t ask what animal was in the meat or what tree the nuts had come from, he was enough of an explorer just to ask that nothing had been self aware before giving it a try himself.
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Not directly, but you are making all sorts of useful contacts." Jaya said, knowing that Terran males liked to think that they were helping to contribute to solutions "One of them might give us the answers we need. And people need a doctor, no matter where they were." and McCoy was a good one, Jaya had to admit. It was another reason to remain on good terms with McCoy, in case she needed medical care from someone who didn't think eye of newt was state of the art.

"Where I'm going to live." Jaya replied "And the copies of some of my sisters and cousins. And my uncle, since I'll need someone to tend bar for me. I'd rather hire 'real' people, but there just aren't enough looking for work. Besides, not everyone can tell the difference anyway." her tone was even, practical. This was business, and not something she felt the need to be overly emotional about. And the fact was that she was fairly certain that even a copy of an Orion female would be better than what most of the people around here had experienced.

Jaya laughed, and squeezed the hand that she hadn't yet let go of "Oh, I'm sure that we could work out something to trade." favoring him with a wicked little wink. "Thank you." she said, accepting the gift. It was polite to offer thanks, and express pleasure at the gift. Privately, she thought it was a bit confusing that he did some things so normally, like bringing her presents, always thoughtfully chosen, while being so shy about the possibility of coupling with her. It was incongrueous, coming from an adult male, and if she didn't know better, she'd think that he was feigning modesty for some subtle purpose of his own. Taking a bite of the pastry she said "This is delicious. You will have to show me the shop. And your new dwelling as well."
Star Trek-AOS

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“Again, fairly certain you’re gonna be the one makin’ more strides there than me darlin’” after all he was just a doctor, she was the one building a whole business devoted to among other things information gathering. He wasn’t under any illusions that she wasn’t going to be selling only food, and information and houses like this were an age old partnership. “An’ they’ll always pay for company first.” he chuckled ruefully.

At least he could make sure that the old worries of women in her profession were avoided, huh...he wondered if her ‘sisters’ were anything more than elaborate holograms, or if they might need his services as well.

If only to figure out what was ‘compatible’ with them. Hell it was a duty he’d done often enough as CMO to a young virial crew that didn’t seem to be able to hit shore leave with out someone forgetting to fill out Form 87-a. Or as he liked to call it- ‘Will my genitals fall off’ intimacy request form.

Jaya if wasn’t a friend, she was as close to one he had here, and even more so since she was a lady, which meant he’d try and spoil her as he could. He was a caregiver at heart, and she was the only one he could expend that drive on.

“Now darlin’ ah ain’t that easy.” he joked with a wink. “Gonna take more than dinner.”

“Course, when ever ya got time.” Since she was the busy entrepreneur now Leo was clearly expecting to bend to her schedule.
Star Trek-AOS

26 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya conceded the point with a graceful nod of her head. That was one of the reasons she had decided to set this place up, if not the primary one. "Of course they will pay for company." Jaya replied with a grin "Companionship, especially that of an Orion female, is too valuable to simply give away." Truthfully she wasn't much worried about contracting infections. Orion immune systems were very robust, and do to some vagaries of genetics they were especially unlikely to contract infections from alien species. Which was one of the reasons why Orion Slave Girls were so popular, they had a well deserved reputation for safety.
That said, this was a new location, and she certainly wouldn't be so foolish as to turn down the assistance of a doctor, if he wanted to offer his services.

McCoy wasn't quite a friend, after all, it was hard to truly be friends with a male, and a Terran male at that. But he was the only one here who shared a universe, and although he was a Terran male, he appeared to be a superior example of the breed. So she had every reason to treat him kindly. "You do seem determined to play hard to get." Jaya replied. "Do you have a spouse waiting for you?" not that this would stop her, monogamous marriage was a primitive and silly concept, but the topic had never come up. And it would be an explanation for his continued refusal, he seemed like the sort who would stick by whatever pre-historic vows of fidelity that he'd made. "Perhaps once we finish up here, you can take me on a tour." she suggested.