Emberverse-Main

52 Posts
11 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 575
The damage to the van's engine had been expensive to repair, and had involved parts that had to be shipped in from Boise, which caused further delay. Of course, they would have had to stay and rest anyway, until all of them were healed of their hurts, which was important, given that they'd been attacked once already, and would need to have all of their party fighting-fit.

The attack had been the worst of it, of course, both because of the damage and delay that it had inflicted, and because of the tension that came from waiting to see if the things who had attacked them would be back. She hadn't known that such things had existed at all in this Age of the World, and finding out that this was the case had been profoundly disturbing.

But now they were on their way, and hopefully they would make good time as they traveled down the road.
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

121 Posts
12 Threads
Job: Bard
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 400
To Arjay, the downtime at the hotel had served a reasonably important purpose, aside from healing the idiotic wound on his shoulder. He’d had time then to go through all of the gear he’d packed, the little trinkets and supplies that had seemed so useful when they had set out, the things that packed on the assumption that magic would be a thing that he could use on this trip. Had he known just how wrong he was, he’d have packed differently, but that was just how it was, wasn’t it? Once he was able to look things over, he found that his bag of holding was extremely unstable, showing a definite bottom and different contents each time he opened it. He could only hope that the magic would reassert itself when they left this world, but for now, he’d taken to holding a few key things in nonmagical bags lest they not appear when he needed them. His wands were useless, he’d found. The spells they cast had minimal power to them, and they expended themselves after only one use. His weapons, on the other hand, seemed to work well enough, though he wasn’t going to test some of the more powerful abilities, lest they lose their power in this strange, magic-starved world.

Nevertheless, he was healed now and in good spirits. Sure, his magic was useless to him, but most magic was useless to those they would come up against as well. That, he could deal with. Some had said that he relied too heavily on his magic, this was his chance to show them that he was still a swordmaster, even without the spells that usually helped him along. They were on the road again, and he did enjoy travel, particularly when the sights were as strange to him as these were.

“…And the most frustrating part was that no one ever believed us about just how that dragon had been killed,” he finished, settling back in his seat after one of his personal favorite stories.
Emberverse-Main

52 Posts
11 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 575
"I can't blame them." Luthien said, teasingly "I'm not completely certain that I believe you. Not that I doubt your hones-"

Before she could finish her sentence, there was a loud BANG! and the van listed to one side, a tire blown out.

"What was that?!" Luthien exclaimed, startled by the noise and the shaking, already reaching for her sword, lest this be the start of another attack.
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 845
“Language!”

Like everyone else, Steve had put their downtime to good use. He had sorted through the world of issues that thinking you had been on fire had brought up, worked through most of those issues, and come to terms with the idea that somewhere out there, there could be a world (many worlds, but he wasn’t thinking about that) that he could lose the effects of the serum.

“I don’t think anyone could blame them, Luthien. If I didn’t know Arjay well enough to know he wouldn’t be spinning yarns, I’m not sure I’d believe it, either.”

The blown tire had Steve give a start, but he knew the sound, knew the feel of a vehicle that had just lost a tire. Steve handled the wheel with the same calm he’d been using the last however many miles he had been driving, pulling the van over to the side of the road with an almost resigned sigh even as he reached to reassure Luthien. “It’s just a tire. Most vans have a spare. We’ll lose a little bit of time changing them out, but it should be fine.”

He looked toward the back seat, “Do we have a jack?”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

121 Posts
12 Threads
Job: Bard
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 400
When the van lurched, Arjay jumped, banging his head on the ceiling, and falling back into his seat in something of a momentary daze. That was not something he expected from their trip, which had thus far been smooth. Still, Steve didn’t seem disconcerted, which was a bit of a comfort to the elf. If the man familiar with these things wasn’t alarmed, he shouldn’t be either, should he?

The explanation, though, was mildly puzzling, all things told. Apparently, the wheels that these “trucks” rolled on had air inside them. That was an interesting design, he supposed. He’d have to mention it to some of the craftsmen back home, see if they could make anything of the idea, but until then, one question came to his mind above all others. What could have damaged it? They hardly looked fragile… but then, they were full of air. Maybe this was common, if they carried a spare as a general practice.

Also, who was this ‘Jack’, and why did they suddenly need him? “I thought you knew everyone’s name,” Arjay answered.
Shadowrun-Tabletop edition

57 Posts
4 Threads
Job: "Travel Writer" (Smuggler)
Ship Status: N/A (looking?)
Sexual Orientation: Yes.
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 173
Queth had been content to rest with her eyes half open in the back of the van as Steve drove. After the annoying amount of effort she had to go to unsnag the parts of her leg- she was more than happy to rest for a couple hundred miles.

Didn't stop her from resting her guns in her lap while they drove- one attack when unprepared was enough for her. Queth listened half heartedly to Arjay's story- one she wasn't inclined to believe, but for a different reason than the others likely. Dragons were unbelievably powerful- and just as intelligent. No matter the swordsman's power, he was just an elf. It would take an army to kill off a dragon.

She started at the sound of the tire blowing out before her brain reminded her of what that was- something that she yet again wished she was in her own car for. It had been years since she had needed to change a tire for anything other than an upgrade- save for when she was repairing other people's vehicles.

Queth couldn't stop herself from laughing slightly at Arjay's reply to Steve. She managed to stifle it to quiet snickers but it still took her a moment to compose herself enough to answer. "A jack- arjay- is a device used to lift the cage of the vehicle so that you can remove the tire. It's like a post with an adjustable height so that you can support the weight while you put on the spare."

Grinning softly to herself she turned around and started digging through the contents of the back while she looked for one. Her grin melted into a frown when she couldn't find one. "So either I'm quite bad at finding things or- unsurprisingly- the hippies we bought this van from didn't think a jack was a valid use of space."

Climbing out of the vehicle, she went and retrieved the spare. "I mean-" Queth started leaning back towards the windows so the others could hear her. "-I'd appreciate someone else looking, but I could probably act as a makeshift jack if necessary." She said with a wave of her uncovered metal fingers. Thus far, Queth had found that anyone who noticed them just thought they were a cool toy or something- but that the clammy silicon was creeping people out.