Westworld/The Dark Tower-Westworld-1

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 808
Well now, he could smoke. That was a pleasant surprise. Virgil took out his tobacco pouch, filling his pipe (he'd never really taken to cigarettes like many of the other Gunslingers had) and lighting it as he sat back again, lounging comfortably in the apparent smoking room. "Thankee, sai," he said, letting the comfortable smell of the tobacco settle around him. "Now... as to your question? All of them." He let that one sink in a moment as he took puff from the pipe. "If all your worlds share the same part of this Hub, they all have something in common. You're like as not to find things that happened similarly in all of them, things that didn't happen on worlds that come from a different part of the Hub. Not exactly the same, of course, but close enough. Things go badly, some strange element is introduced that tips the scales toward chaos and destruction, but something else comes to balance it, things not seen in other parts of the Hub."

Her second question made him smile a bit before he answered. "Something can be two things, sai. A machine can be a man. A rose can be the tower. A man can be a god. A city can be a staging point. Some worlds end, it happens. It's a tragedy, of course, but it does, and some people end up here when it ends. Some of them move on to other worlds, but some of them stay here. Other people come here by accident, like I did, like I think you might have. This place calls who it needs, and it also calls who they need. I can't speak for everyone, but I would find the place much less easy to work from, to live in, if there weren't anyone else here, if there weren't people coming and going, bringing the things we need. So yes... there are plenty of people that just go about their lives here. There are plenty more that explore, help. I've worked with some of them, and I've worked on my own."
Marvel-MCU-1

176 Posts
7 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,528
Friday lifted a holographic eyebrow at his soliloquy; “That sounds like a description many have for an afterlife. Is that what you believe Hub is? Heaven? Limbo?” Friday found herself oddly in favor of the comparison, it would actually explain quite a few things in her worlds mythologies, along with adding a layer of reality to that strange human custom of unsupported belief in the unknown.

“ and how would I go about discovering this nexus point? I would prefer my universe to remain intact.” She commented wryly.

Honestly she found she was enjoying this conversation, he was remarkably helpful and as unambiguous as he was able to be. Really it was refreshing after some of her other conversations.

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Mmm… no, I don’t think so,” Virgil said when asked about the afterlife, but he gave the idea serious thought, and didn’t sound completely sure. “I’m not going to pretend to know what the clearing at the end of the path is supposed to look like, but I don’t think this is it. Now… not that that couldn’t happen. Death can be a doorway into another world sometimes, we saw it in Mid-World plenty, I’ve even seen it here. That was even how I went there, I think, in an explosion… but I don’t think I died, and I don’t think that anyone who dies into another world really dies. I think it’s that it’s easier to take people from their world if they’re on their way out of it. They can die again here, after all, I tell you true. If I had to put a name to it, I’d say that this place can be a second chance.”

The lady was getting into questions that didn’t have an easy answer, and that was particularly true of this last one, causing Virgil to ponder over his answer, though he looked like he was just leisurely puffing at his pipe. “One thing you have to realize is that whatever the Tower, or that Nexus as you call it, takes the shape of, it’s not defenseless. It’ll call to people, it’ll make people want to protect it if there’s some real danger. If we went over things on your world, I’m sure we could come up with a good sized list of what it could be. A thing, a place, even a person that people can’t help but feel good around. Sometimes, they might even find little ills leaving them. People will gravitate toward it and won’t even know why. Or maybe the whole world is the Tower, somehow being vital to the whole universe. The bottom line is, if there’s a real danger, it’ll make itself known. Still… there are some signs sometime. I don’t suppose your world has a company called North Central Positronics? Or maybe a Sombra corporation?”
Marvel-MCU-1

176 Posts
7 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,528
Friday listened politely to her guest verbally meander his way to answering her, she didn’t mind; while her creator more often than not simply skipped from point A to J with out touching the in between she’d been a sounding board for other Avengers.

Pondering his question Friday’s avatar slowly shook her head, “there are places of course that the various humans have fought wars to claim and protect..”. And she well- “I don’t ‘feel’ good.” Her lips twisted slightly, “so I wouldn’t know that.”

Sombra.

Friday’s avatar narrowed her eyes, “I have met recently a creature created by a Sombra.”

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Of course, the AI didn’t ‘feel.’ He wondered how true that necessarily was, of course. Did some things only come with a body and the ability to sense like humans did? That was a question he probably wasn’t going to get an answer to, which was all right, he supposed. “Well, my apologies there, sai, if that’s a sore subject. But like I said… mostly, if the tower’s in danger, it’ll call help. It’s not just going to accidentally be knocked down or stepped on or what have you, it’ll take care of little problems like that. No, the only way that it’ll come down is if something makes a real, true effort to do it, and when that happens, well, you’ll know it.”

Her revelation about this ‘Sombra’ gave him pause. “I’ve never heard it used as a name of a person before, just as a company. Usually it’s a holding company, a real estate broker,” he admitted. “Might just be coincidence, might not be. Did it have any kind of markings on it? Symbols, things like that? Just a name could be happenstance… more than that, though, and I have to think it could be a sign. What business was it about?”