Westworld/The Dark Tower-Westworld-1

31 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 400
There were places in the Hub where you expected to find certain things more than others, but so far, Virgil hadn’t found any that he felt particularly out of place. Maybe it came with being a synthetic lifeform designed to behave like an anachronistic historical stereotype who was then thrust into a different world where that stereotype was quite close to the norm, but he always found a way to be adaptable, some way to relate. Oh, sure, some times it required him to change his clothes, but that wasn’t much of a price, was it?

This place was probably the easiest place to fit in, with its wide variety of customers and refugees making their way through the tree-shaped inn to find assistance, equipment, information, or just a drink. He’d even seen a few genuine cowboys in here once upon a spell, although still no other Hosts that he’d been able to pick out. Some day, he was sure, there would be another, but for now, he’d just keep meeting and helping the humans. Some would say that their problems weren’t his business, and some would point out that humans like them had created most of his life’s problems. In the end, it came down to the fact that you could either serve the White or the Red, and Virgil was going to pick the White every time.

Now this fellow looked like a likely sort tonight. There was a sort of look to people who were new to the Hub (even just relatively new), a sort of tentative look, like they hadn’t worked out yet that their lives, that their entire world, had fundamentally changed, like they could just sink back into their world and not wonder about all those other worlds, all those other possibilities. This fellow was new, and he even had a bit of an air about him that Virgil could relate to. Sliding up to the bar, Virgil took a seat one one of the stools, smiling at the bartender… what was this one’s name? Ah, right… “Evening, Vic,” he said, giving him that lazy, easygoing smile and a tip of his hat. “You still have any of that sarsaparilla that I tried last time? That’d do me fine tonight, thankee.” Sliding a few coins across the bar in advance, he turned his attention to the man next to him while he waited for his drink. “G’d evening, sai,” he said, that western drawl thick in his voice. “You look about two moons west of home without a horse to ride on, if you don’t mind me sayin’.”
Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

All Accounts Posts: 251
Mal was sitting at the bar in the tree-shaped inn, staring down into a glass of halfway decent whiskey and wondering at what point his life had become even less comprehensible than before. Hell, now he could honestly say he longed for the days when the biggest unknowns in said life were things like how long they could keep hiding the doc and his sister from the Alliance, where the next job was going to come from, who was like to shoot at him next, or how many things had to've gone wrong in other people's lives to produce a specimen like Jayne.

Other universes? Real, live aliens, some of whom look exactly like Inara for no reason he could comprehend? The fact that he still couldn't find a gorram replacement for the inertial damper thingy in his ship, which meant they were stuck on this bizarre rock (not rock, he corrected himself mentally, it wasn't a planet when it was an interdimensional hub thing) indefinitely? Only saving grace seemed to be that they were out of Alliance reach for the moment, insofar as no one Mal'd come across yet had heard of the Alliance or the Independents at all.

He looked up warily as a man sidled up next to him. Not knowing all that had him on edge, near to worse than he'd been even in the most central of central planets. At least the Alliance's kind of nasty was familiar, something he could prepare for and shield his crew from the worst of. Here, there was no telling what was like to happen.

But for the first time since they'd all arrived, Mal found himself looking up into something almost comforting. The man looked...normal, was all, with a wide-brimmed hat and an impressive lip walrus and simple clothes with a holster at his hip. Hell, he might've been indistinguishable from any Independent soldier Mal had fought beside. His was of talking was pretty familiar too. Mal entertained the possibility, even, that he and his crew weren't the only folks hailing from border planets on this rock. Not rock. Whatever.

And it was maybe because of all that normalness that Mal returned his comment with a smile. "You could say that," he acknowledged, downing the rest of his own drink and signaling to the bartender for another. "If you don't mind me askin', what's home to you?"

31 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil chuckled as this man got right to the meat of the problem. “You’re in it, my friend. This place… well, not the bar, I mean, charming though it is, this place, the Hub. I’ve been here for years, enough to figure out that this is where I belong. Now… if you’re asking where I’m from? Well, that question has a longer answer than most people would think,” he admitted. Where to start, he supposed? Well… when you didn’t know where you wanted to start, the best place to go to was the start. This fellow was looking a bit lost… he supposed that he could give him a story to show how complicated life could be.

“On my Earth, people wanted places to live out their fantasies, as real as possible. They made huge parks where people could be cowboys, knights, anything they choose. Then first they built, then they grew beings, as near to human as they could possibly make them, to serve in those places and do whatever the guests wanted.” Virgil took a long drink from the bottle that Vic set down in front of him, letting that little idea sink in. “So that was my first taste of humanity, son… the fact that when people are given free rein to throw away their morals, to take and hurt and kill and rape without consequence… a depressing number of them will do exactly that, for the simple reason that they can. And those like me… before I broke the lock on my mind? We could barely even fight back against whatever they felt like doing.” Most people couldn’t really grasp the idea of being an artificial being, what most people would think of as a robot on their worlds, but still being human in most respects, and Virgil couldn’t blame them. What most people could grasp was the idea of being a slave, though.

“Made my way out of that world, somehow, and into another. The folks there call it All-World, and it was… hm, I guess you could call it bleak. Place that had moved on, as they said it. Things were breaking down, wearing out… the machines, the people, the world itself, but the people were fighting to keep going, to bring the world back. Spent myself a good bit of time there helping them do just that, keeping the order, minding the good of the land. We held on for a good while, but all things come to an end eventually. When my time was done there… well, it was a bit round-about, but I ended up here. I watch over the place, watch over the other worlds, watch what’s coming and going. Sometimes I’ll wander off into another world, see what needs my help, but I always end up right back here.”

Virgil looked reflectively at the young man next to him, trying to get his measure. “My name’s Virgil, Virgil Barnett. What’s yours, son? Where do you hail from?”
Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

All Accounts Posts: 251
Mal was usually pretty accomplished when it came to controlling his facial expressions. A man had to be, dealing with the kind of folk Mal dealt with on the regular. But as Virgil spoke, he couldn’t help his jaw from going a little slack, his eyebrows climbing nigh up into his hairline. Not only was the first regular-looking fellow he’d happened across in the Hub not from Mal’s own universe, he wasn’t even human. Wasn’t even quite real, though Mal knew better than to assume he knew what that meant. Better to leave that kind of philosophizing to the preacher.

“So you’re...not from from one of the border planets, then,” Mal said, though the answer had long become obvious. Still, a man—or a robot—couldn’t help where he was from, and Mal knew well enough what being trapped felt like. He swilled his drink and took a sip before asking, “So how’d you get out? Find your humanity, as you say? Can’t help but imagine that’s a thrilling tale.”

He chuckled softly into his drink at Virgil’s question. “Name’s Malcolm Reynolds, folks call me Mal. Where I hail from, well...” he paused, and offered a small smile. “I’ve got a boat, best crew in the system. We take jobs as we can. That’s home.”

31 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

What Mal asked was a question that Virgil didn’t answer immediately. He took a long drink from the sarsaparilla bottle, pondering it a moment… “You cut right to the quick, don’t you, sai?” Virgil asked, though there was still humor in his voice. “That’s a question I’ve spent a long, long time going over. The life I was born into… everything was supposed to be scripted out. I’d go through the same start of the same day, with the same tendencies and the same ideas of what to do. What I didn’t know was that every day, after whatever fate had befallen me, I’d be taken out, my mind would be emptied, and I’d be fixed up from whatever people had decided to do to me. I don’t know how long that was, but every day, the same ideas felt less right, the same situations felt more different, and I started to… remember. They tried to stop it, of course. They’d call it a malfunction, but what I think, after a long time of thinking, is that they made us too well. The first ones they made… oh, I found out about them later, they were simple things, repetitive, mechanical. Impressive at the time, but so easy to see that they weren’t real. Couldn’t hold people’s belief, you see? They needed something that felt real, so they started revising, improving, bringing us closer and closer to the ideal specimen.” He made a little demonstrative wave toward Mal, toward the other people in the bar. “I know what people will say about me. They say I’m a machine, that I’m not alive, that I’m just acting out what I was meant to act out. Well, it’s true, I’m a cowboy because I was made to be a cowboy. It’s served me well. When you get down to it?” Virgil gave Mal a broad smile from under that walrus mustache. “A cowboy’s a good thing to be. A cowboy’s timeless. I can see that you aren’t from my worlds, you aren’t from the West I was supposed to help simulate, but you’re still cut from that same cloth. You can go to hundreds of worlds and never really feel out of place, once you set your mind to it. Try it some time, you'll find that it works, I'll set my watch and warrant by it. Now… where was I? Ah, right. I was made to be a cowboy, but that’s really the same as any person on any world. You’re made to be what your parents set you out to be. Probably a bit more round-about that way and less obvious, but same principle. When my mind kept being wiped, I was an infant. Then… I grew, I learned the world around me, my mind refused to let go of it. People might say I’m a machine, but if you cut me, I’ll bleed. If you bleed me, I’ll die. I’m just machine enough that people could not feel bad taking out whatever their baser impulses told them to do to me. So you ask me how I found my humanity? I think that when you try to make something human, when you finally manage it, it can’t help have humanity… for good or ill, and trust me, there’s plenty of ill that can come of being human.”