Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

All Accounts Posts: 251
So the world they’d landed on after Serenity got sucked through that wormhole thingamagig was...weird to say the least. Mal was used to seeing a mix of technology and not so much, but it almost always fell out along predictable lines. Central planets were flush with all the new technologies, border worlds, not so much. But this place was like a gorram patchwork quilt, with things all stuck together in a hodgepodge, so you could go from modernity to some kind of backwater where they still had automobiles just be crossing the street. Funny thing was, their navsat didn’t know what to make of the place either. All in all Mal found it deeply disconcerting. He kept his hand near his holster as he walked across the city.

The real problem was, Kaylee said they weren’t getting off this unsettling rock without a new—well, he’d written it down specifically on the back of his hand, but in captain dummy speak was some kind of part for the inertial dampeners that kept them all from becoming pancaked against the wall when Serenity accelerated. So Mal had left the preacher to watch the wonder twins back at the ship (on account of they didn’t know what kind of Alliance presence might be nearby) and had sent out Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, and Jayne in teams of two to inquire about replacements, while Mal went off on his own. Only bit of luck they had was that Inara had been off on some world providing companionship to some man’s wallet.

Best kind of place to find out anything about anything, Mal had long since discovered, was the kind of bar that emanated noise even in the late afternoon. The sign outside read “Green Goddess.” Inside, it was pretty much what Mal had hoped for—dim lights, bar, a few fine-looking dancing ladies...no, scratch that, green dancing ladies.

“Huh,” he muttered to himself. He reckoned the name of bar made a little more sense. Or less, maybe, since he didn’t exactly see the appeal of painting the ladies green, but he’d never been one to judge another man’s harmless pleasure.

He headed for the bar, planning to ask ‘round about a shipyard or a junkyard or anywhere Kaylee might do her thing. Then he stopped short.

Across the room, plain as day, was Inara. And she was green.

Mal opened his mouth, and closed it again, his mind unusually blank. Then he shook himself, squared his shoulders, and walked over to her. Then his brain shorted out a second time. Up close, Inara wasn’t pained green, she WAS green.

He’d been planning on asking all the extremely important questions that were on his mind but, only one came out.

“Uh. What?”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 575
Jaya had been back in the Hub for a few days, and had been pleased to see that things at the Green Goddess had gone well in her absence. She'd enjoyed her visit home, but it was good to be back. Back at the place that was rapidly becoming home to her, and where she'd likely be staying for the next several years, at least.

She'd gotten off stage a few minutes before, and was sitting at the bar, surveying the scene, looking to see if she'd attracted any attention from the patrons, or if they'd turned their attention to the two Orion girls on the stage. One of them was Nala, the other was Padma, who'd been working at the House of Dawn on Veretex III, and had come back with Nala and Jaya. All of the Orions at the Green Goddess were real now, including her Uncle Ruvet, who'd insisted in coming along with his daughter.

Padma and Nala were well worth watching, but evidently she'd attracted the attention of at least one of the males, a tall, well built Terran male. Judging by the energy weapon he was carrying, Jaya had thought he was from a moderately high tech world, which made it somewhat surprising that he'd evidently never seen an non-Terran before, judging from his surprised reaction.

Jaya smiled in greeting and said "Its good to meed you. Welcome to the Green Goddess. My name is Jaya. I take it you've never seen an Orion before?"
Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

"Its good to meed you. Welcome to the Green Goddess. My name is Jaya. I take it you've never seen an Orion before?"

That was not, Mal reflected, in any way an answer to his question. Considering, however, that he hadn't exactly articulated said question all that well, he supposed he could let it slide.

"All right," Mal said slowly, his fingers brushing near to his holster. Didn't seem that Green Inara was a threat, exactly, but the situation had gone from odd to nigh incomprehensible and he didn't fancy getting caught off guard any more than he already had. "First off, your name is not Jaya. Your name is Inara, and you rent my shuttle. You are also not green. I have no idea what an Orion is and to be honest, the answer to that question is relatively far down the list of things I'd like to know right now. Other pressing questions being, what the hell is this place and why are you green?!"
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya a little surprised when the male claimed to know her-or at least some version of her. She'd met a few Terrans who had recognized her as an Orion, but none of them had ever met or heard of her, or even some alternate Jaya from their universe. She was even more surprised when he asked why her skin was green. He must come from a universe where Orions didn't have green skins, or, even more disconcerting, somewhere she had a alternate self who was a Terran, of all improbable things. Still, he wasn't the first new arrival in the Hub she'd had to calm down and help get settled.

"I'll be glad to answer your questions." Jaya said, making sure, as she spoke, that she was producing enough pheromones to make the stranger compliant and willing to listen to what he would no doubt think was a somewhat incredible story. "Lets sit down at the bar, and have a drink and we'll talk." she indicated the seat beside her, where Uncle Ruvet had already set a glass of beer for the strange Terran. "First of all, this place is called The Hub. Its a nexus between universes. Unless you're asking about this place." she indicated the club with a wave of her hand "In this case, this is my club. Mine and my family's." she amended, as Uncle Ruvet began to ostentatiously wipe the already spotless bar top. "As for why I have green skin-" she held out her hand, so that he could touch it, if he wished "I have green skin because I'm not Terran. My species is native to Orion Prime, which is almost a thousand light years from Earth. We evolved differently than Terrans did, the most obvious difference is our skin color." she looked at him, and then, a little more cautiously, continued.

"I don't know who this 'Inara' person is, but this isn't the first time that someone from one universe has turned out to have a counterpart in another universe. I promise you, though, that I am not her. I've never met you before, and I certainly don't rent a shuttle from you."
Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

Before Green Inara even said anything, Mal could feel a slightly discomfiting feeling stealing over him—like his palms were getting sweaty and his brainpan was getting all befuddled and his man parts were getting mightily interested.

In short, pretty much the same kind of discomfited Inara always made him feel.

He folded his arms. No way was he letting himself get taken in by Green Inara’s companionly wiles. He’d not‘be believed they were in some...”nexus” if the doc hadn’t already suggested it back at the ship, after his crazy sister started going on about places being all mashed together. It was the rest he was having trouble with.

He resettled his arms across his chest as she held out her hand. “Look, Green Not-Inara, I don’t know next to nothin’ about universe nexuses or what have you. But are you really trying to sell me on some notion that you’re an alien version of my—my, uh, tenant? Ain’t nobody who’s spent any time in the black believes in aliens.”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya could tell that she was having some effect on the Terran male-who's name she still didn't know-but she could also see that he wasn't going to simply accept everything she had to say simply because she was saying it. Which meant that she was dealing with a clever Terran male, who were often vexing to deal with, even if they were more interesting, and often more enjoyable than stupid ones.

"My name is Jaya." she said, correcting him, and not confusing the issue by saying that Inara was, as it happened, an Orion name. "I'm sorry that your civilization is pre-Contact. I suppose that its even possible that Terrans are the only sentient species in your universe" it wasn't likely, in her opinion, but neither were talking trees, and she'd seen a few of those "But I promise, I am not your tenant, and I am most certainly not Terran." she smiled, a hint of flirtation in the look "There are a few anatomical differences that might persuade you, but I'd have to show you those in private. And I'd like to know your name first, at the very least. Or maybe Oola can convince you that 'aliens' exist." she said, gesturing at the Twi-lek female who was coming out of one of the private rooms, arm in arm with the Terran she'd been entertaining.
Firefly-Show

7 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

"Jaya, huh," Mal said, keeping his arms folded tightly as he tried to process the words this...Jaya was saying. He still felt lightheaded all too lustful considering his distrust of the situation. Especially when she offered to show her anatomical differences in private. All right, so, different universe, aliens. It still didn't go near enough to explaining why one of them was Inara, or why she was turning her Companionly wiles on him. It reminded him all too much of his first meeting of Yo-Saff-Bridge, and how she'd not only gotten him to try to bed her, but had convinced him to go off talking about his past as well. Saffron had been dangerous, and Mal had no doubt Jaya-Not-Inara was too.

"Will you cut that out?" he snapped after a moment. "Obviously, your training is very good. Companion, right? But I ain't about to go bedding you or tellin' you about my mama's ranch or lettin' you rob me, so you can save it." It occurred to him that to someone who hadn't been around to see Saffron in all her glory that it was probably an odd list, but it was hard enough to think around the wiles that he supposed he could be forgiven for getting a mite tongue-tied.

"My name is Malcolm Reynolds," he added awkwardly, "but don't think that means I want to go takin' a look at any of those anatomical differences of yours." He just hoped it wasn't so obvious from the way he was standing how much everything inside his pants disagreed.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I can be rude, if you'd rather." Jaya said, raising an eyebrow "Yes, I have been trained to deal with Terran males, including ones who seem inclined to threaten me." she glanced pointedly at the weapon the Terran had at his side. "I'm not a Companion, whatever that is. I'm an Orion Dancing Girl" it seemed like as good a time as any to test out the new name "I have no interest in robbing you, or hearing about the place you were raised, if you don't wish to tell me, and as for 'bedding' you, well, I have plenty of males to couple with, if I choose. If you aren't interested" her eyes drifted down again, this time focusing on the evidence that part of him wasn't opposed to the idea "there are other females here, including some Terrans, if you find green skin unattractive."

"Its nice to meet you, Malcolm." she said "what brings you to the Hub? Is there any assistance or hospitality that I can offer that you will accept" because, truthfully, Jaya was first and foremost a woman of business. Her goals depended on the Green Goddess appealing to as many beings as possible, and she didn't want to make enemies.