Marvel-MCU-2

43 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Spy/Hero/Daughter
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight?
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 845
She hadn’t been injured since she’d arrived in Hub...which might make this the longest amount of time she’d managed to stay out of medical since becoming an active Avenger. And really, it wasn’t that surprising, not when you were sparring with people like Thor or Captain America; you sprained things, bruised a rib, and earned a cut from one of Widow’s knives every now and then. And that wasn’t counting all the times when people were actually trying to kill you. And Cap had a rule about any and every injury earning a trip to medical.

A rule he so often didn’t follow himself, but expected them to obey without question.

Still, today, she wasn’t really hurt, even if she were technically injured. Arjay had healed up all of the actual injuries, leaving only the bruises and such, which were actually a little bit tender, if not something that she’d let slow her down. That didn’t mean she intended to leave off the trip to medical. Not this time…

It was with a smile that she burst into the room, “So… Worst part of sparring with an elf that has… Probably centuries on you? You lose amazingly badly.” She sighed as she all but threw herself into a chair, “I mean, you expect to lose, because not only is he a sword guy and you’re usually a bow girl, but, he’s a craftsman on top of that, and he probably made the weapons we were both using, but seriously, I didn’t even give him a workout. So…” She looked to Justin, “How’s the last couple of days been for you?”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

95 Posts
1 Threads
Job: Superhero/Doctor
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 400
The fact that his plans for helping Tony had to hinge on magic had grated on Justin. He didn’t dislike magic, of course. He liked it just fine for letting him fly, keeping him safe, confounding Tony, but when it cut in on his job? He was a doctor because he liked being a doctor. He was proud of what he did. And so, not to be one to be defeated, he’d set to gathering more ways that he could beat the effects of magic with medical science.

While he was widely considered a medical genius, he wasn’t, of course, a super-genius like Tony. While he couldn’t come up with some of the devices that Tony and others did, he knew how to adapt them into medical tools, which sometimes translated into new breakthroughs. So, ever since he’d started conspiring to fix better-Tony, he’d taken to gathering new technology from the Hub and cataloging it for medical use. Today, he was studying the effects of a cellular alteration device. In the experiment tank, he watched through a microscope as the undifferentiated cells were coverted, gradually, into skin cells, when the door slid open.

He was ready to shoot some irritated comment at Tony about this being his laboratory, but it wasn’t Tony that came in this time. No, Tony never sounded that happy, that pretty, and that welcome a distraction from his work. Justin grinned as he turned around in his chair, looking at Lori as she flopped into the other chair. “They’ve been quiet. They’ve been… okay, I guess. Got a lot done. Lost track of time in the lab a lot, forced myself to stop so I don’t end up like Tony. How was home? They have the world in an uproar trying to find you?” He looked her over before she could answer. “You all right? You look… stiff?” He didn’t see any injuries, of course, but he could still tell when someone was moving with some pain.
Marvel-MCU-2

43 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

Sparring and fighting was invigorating; it filled you with adrenaline and energy.. So Lori entered medical with the wide, wild eyes of someone
still riding high from a good fight. Her steps were light and quick, still half dancing her way toward where Justin was working.

It never occurred to her that she might irritate the doctor by popping in unexpectedly and without invitation. Justin was nice, she liked spending time with him, and on top of that, she was injured. Sort of. They were supposed to come to medical when they were hurt, right? Not that she was really hurt, but… Excuses were nice to have, though!

“See, I don’t know about you, but quiet isn’t really a plus for me… Quiet is sort of… Boring? Not always, sometimes, after it’s been real busy, a few quiet days can be nice. But most of the time it just puts me on edge, waiting for whatever the villains are being so quiet about.” How as home? Lori brightened, “Home was good! I got to see pretty much everyone, told them about Hub, that I was okay, all of that. Did some research on some things, grabbed more stuff…” She shrugged, “Mostly, I had a nice time, let my family know what had happened, and I’m glad to be back here again.” She grinned, “Well, the forest definitely took a hit. Thor and Hulk mostly, I think.” Because they were passionate men, both of them, but they were good men, too. “We have a goal to replant saplings and bring back what they took down, and the timber was donated to Habitat for Humanity, so it’ll be alright.” She laughed, “And we’re bringing in some Osage Orange trees onto the compound, just a tiny grove, but…” She hefted her bow on her back, “It’s good wood for bow making.”

Stiff, huh? She grinned wider at Justin, “Oh, well, it was a quick fight, but it was one hell of a learning experience.” She shifted with a shrug, holding out her arms so he could see the bruising there, “Have anything that can help, maybe?” She shifted, “Got lots of ‘em, but I earned them, you know?”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

95 Posts
1 Threads
Mike

Well, one thing was for sure, it wasn’t quiet anymore. “Quiet means I get work done. I’m supposed to be a doctor, remember?” He leaned back in the chair, hooking his heel on the handle to one of the desk drawers to prop up his feet. “And only having one measly doctorate, I have to put the work in and remind some people living in this giant phallic tower of compensation that it still means something. It’s easier when it’s quiet and there aren’t so many interesting distractions around,” he teased. Not that he wasn’t productive before Lori had gone home, but it had given him time to get ahead a little bit. He smiled and nodded as she went through her bit about home, the familiar questions going through his head about what that world must be like… but he’d given up on asking that. It only seemed to reinforce (to him, at least) that he was in a group he didn’t belong in. He’d be damned if he was going to go with Real-Tony and see that dick living in their mansion again, though. He’d sold it to Luke, after all…

He rolled his chair closer to her, looking at the bruising on her. He put on a pair of glasses to get a better look… not that his vision was going, but the glasses showed him the display that would normally be holo-projected by his scanner. For something simple like this, he didn’t need to pull out all the bells and whistles. “Well, it isn’t too bad, that’s good. Looks like you got some good knocks in the process.” His fingers were gentle as he probed the bruises, judging the depth and the healing time of them. She’d been here for a bit, but the first time he gets his hands on her, it’s because she got knocked around by some damn elf. What were the odds? He glanced back up at her face, a twinkle of amusement in the eyes behind the glasses (which didn’t show her any hints of the display he was seeing). “How many is ‘lots’?” he asked, smirking a little. “If I’m going to help, I have to know what I’m dealing with here, right?”
Marvel-MCU-2

43 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

Quiet meant that he got work done. Lorelei winced at the statement; she hadn’t meant to interrupt him doing actual, real, even important, work. Justin was a doctor, and his work was important because it was to help people. Their people, even, Avengers and other heroes and good people. The bitterness was a surprise, and not an especially pleasant one at that. “Measly?” She arched a brow, tilting her head as she looked at him, “Well, that’s one more than I’ve got, doctor, so if one is ‘measly’ what’s none?” Lori wasn’t stupid, and didn’t view herself as inferior to anyone, no matter how many degrees or doctorates or whatever else they had and she didn’t. She had her own skillset, her own knowledge, and she was killer with a bow. Literally when need be. She waggled a finger at Justin playfully, “It’s plenty, in case you weren’t sure about the answer. We all have our gifts, Justin. Yours is to be an incredible doctor with patience enough to deal with the likes of the Avengers. Tony Stark is a gifted mind who can’t people outside of parties. I’m an amazing archer.” She shrugged, “So no more ‘measly’s’ hm?”

The fight with Arjay had left Lori remarkably cheerful. Sure, she’d lost, and she’d lost entirely, but she’d learned a few things nonetheless. While she had certainly taken more than her fair share of blows, as shown by the mottled bruising she sported, she wasn’t in bad shape at all. As she had told Arjay, the bruising was mostly an excuse to come see the good doctor. And maybe, just maybe, good Doctor McSexyPants needed the break. Of course, she didn’t want to just keep him from anything important he should be doing, but.. Well, if it were important, he’d look at her bruises, probably give her some instructions or whatever, and then send her off. He had that option, and she wouldn’t complain if that’s what happened. “Yeah. I mean, I’m not dying, they’re just tender.” And in her defense, that damn elf was a whole lot older than she was and far more practiced in swordsmanship, too. “Well, not so many that I’m a mass of bruises, but pretty sure I have a few on my stomach, and my arms, and my leg.” Obviously not her prosthetic. She grinned at him, “You didn’t expect a number, right? ‘Cause I didn’t count ‘em.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

95 Posts
1 Threads
Mike

“I’m not the one to ask,” Justin answered, smirking at her indignance. He couldn’t really blame her, it was quite a bullshit statement. Sadly, it was also his existence. “You’ll have to ask the guy who has more than one and thinks that makes him an expert on everything, including my specialty.” And, as he said it, it sounded kind of… sad. Was he really working this hard just to prove himself to Tony Freaking Stark? Well… no, no he wasn’t. This was as much about himself, and a general need for relevance. In this place where you could find some weird magic or alien gizmo for any problem you had, what good was a doctor who couldn’t come up with this stuff? Sadly, the answer seemed to be ‘not much.’ “But if you’re going to give me that vote of confidence, I can’t argue with you,” he added, leaning back comfortably in his chair.

With as many bruises as he was seeing on Lori, Justin might have worried that something bad had happened if she wasn’t being so completely cheerful about it. Her description of the bruising told him everything he needed to know, although that last bit did make him pause. “Well, I could count them if you wanted me to,” he teased. Hey, everyone loved to play ‘doctor,’ especially real doctors. “Well, nothing looks serious so far. I could take a closer look if you wanted, or I can just get you an ointment to help work it out.” And, of course, maybe some help getting it on… a guy could always hope.
Marvel-MCU-2

43 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

“Oh no? And here you’re the one saying ‘measly’ like it’s something to sniff at to the poor kid who has zero.” Even if her words were a little sad, her tone was light and playful, an attempt to cheer up the doctor. She rolled her eyes, “And Tony Stark can have all the doctorates he wants, but at the end of the day, Justin? He’s still a mechanic.” It was what she and Harley had always called him. Sure, he was Uncle Tony and Stark and Iron Man, but he was The Mechanic, too, and they loved him all the more for that. “A phenomenal one. Who really isn’t great with people. Because he can make them feel bad. Inferior. And that? That isn’t someone who is socially adept, if he makes his friends and teammates feel that way.”

The grin she gave him when he mentioned her ‘vote of confidence’ was wide and bright, “I do, so you can’t, then.” After all, she got bruises and her first stop was medical. (Which might be quietly pretending that Arjay hadn’t healed her up, but it made the guy feel better, so she hadn’t argued. Besides, she liked being battle ready just in case, and a few bruises weren’t going to stop her if something happened here in Hub or somewhere else she could help.) “Besides, it’s not Tony Stark I came to when I got all beat up, now is it?”

Lori was always cheerful after a good workout, and the fight had been more than just that. A good fight, where people weren’t in danger and the world didn’t need saving was every bit as fun as riding her motorcycle or jumping off a building with a grappling arrow at the ready. It was invigorating and exciting, and with just a taste of real danger. “Well, if you want a number…” She grinned, “Well, I’m not completely terrible with a sword. Just nowhere near as good as I am with a bow. And he has more than a century on me for experience. So lots of bruises, but it’s not like it was a fight to the death or anything.” She looked down at her arms, considering, “Well, you’re the doctor, if you need a closer look…” Her eyes were bright with mischief; really, she figured he had to know that she didn’t really need much in the way of medical help; sure, she’d take the ointment gladly, because bruises weren’t really pretty, but that’s not really why she came down here.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

95 Posts
1 Threads
Mike

“Yeah, well, tell the other people who decide to go along with Tony’s idiot stuff,” Justin said, rolling his eyes. “Tell you what, just don’t you go letting Tony give you a spinal tap and we won’t speak of this again. Sound good?” No, Justin wasn’t going to let go of that one any time soon. Besides, she’d come to him instead of Tony, like she’d said. Not, of course, that she really needed any help here. The doctor’s official advice would, normally, be ‘take two Tylenol and call me when you’re bleeding,’ but that would mean that Lori would take off faster, and right now he really didn’t want that.

Plus, she wasn’t really telling him he couldn’t take a closer look. That was interesting...

“Well, there’s no medical reason for me to need to count them,” Justin admitted, his smile just as mischievous as Lori’s. “Unfortunately. You’re fine, honestly… nothing that probably wouldn’t be helped by a good soak in the hot tub, so that’s what the doctor’s going to prescribe. And, well, if that sounds too boring by yourself, I suppose I could take a break from being locked up in my lab like some other Avenger that we won’t name right now and keep you company…” He spread his hands in a mock-innocent ‘what can you do’ gesture. “But only if you want.”
Marvel-MCU-2

43 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

Well, Doctor McSexyPants was a whole lot salty with Uncle Tony, wasn’t he? Yes, yes he was. Lori had no idea why this was the case, but she figured, knowing her uncle, and knowing just a little bit about Dr. Justin Halloway, that the ire was probably at least mostly deserved. And to take it a step further, what wasn’t deserved this time was probably part of the slow build-up of irritation and frustration that her uncle could inspire in people. Her mind had gone off on a tangent, considering the why’s Justin might be holding a grudge against Tony when he asked her not to let her uncle, her brilliant-but-totally-not-a-medical-guy uncle, to give her a spinal tap. Uh, duh? She loved her uncle, and trusted him implicitly with her leg, but her spine? And taking the fluid from it? She’d let a medical doctor do that. Because no matter how many PhD’s Uncle Tony had, he didn’t have that one. The one that made you know how to do a spinal tap. She blinked at him, “Um.. Who’d let a guy without a medical degree do that? I mean, outside of a serious, actual emergency when there was no other choice? Because those are known to happen when you’re an Avenger and not someone like Uncle Steve or Thor or Hulk. But.. Seriously, Justin?” The look she gave him was a disbelieving ‘why would you even...who did this??’ one that loudly questioned the need to ask something like that.

So yeah, okay, she liked this doctor. Hot tub prescriptions? And one that included company? Lori grinned, “Well, who wants to soak on their own? Unless what you were doing before I came in needs your attention… I didn’t mean to take you away from important things.” She really hadn’t, with no Avengers calls to action here in Hub, she hadn’t thought that Justin would be kept very busy. And a bored doctor locked in his lab? Nah, Lorelei had thought to maybe distract and entertain and flirt.

Justin spread his hands and Lori took the one closest to her and tugged, “C’mon, then, let’s go make me better, then. When you get doctor’s orders to go soak in the hot tub with him, you don’t pass that up.” Especially when the doctor looks like you, she didn’t add.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

95 Posts
1 Threads
Mike

Wow. She really didn’t know, did she? When she gave him the little pouty ‘who would do that’ bit, Justin met her eye, looking a little amused now. “Well, for one, your dad did,” he countered. “Because apparently calling me or using the med lab would use too much time.” Oh, it was nice that someone finally seemed to freaking agree with him on this one. “And according to Tony, it was all fine, because it worked, right?” And that, right there, was one of the biggest problems with dealing with Tony Stark. When something went right, that meant he was justified… right up until something went wrong, and then it became ‘but I’ve done it lots of times, this is a fluke.’

Still, who could possibly think of Tony Stark when the pretty girl wanted you to come up into the hot tub with her? Justin’s day was getting better and better, it seemed. “Right now, I don’t think I could focus on work even if I wanted to,” he answered, very truthfully. Letting her pull him out of the lab was something he did very, very gladly. Of course, there was one thing that probably had to come first… “So are we just letting doctor-patient familiarity cover things like bathing suits?” he teased as the lift started to move. Hey, if she was down, he had nothing to be ashamed of…