Harry Potter-Main Universe

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 737
“Well, I suppose there are more similarities to find. Nonverbal magic is more difficult than casting spells normally on my world, it requires focus and practice that some people find too difficult to manage. The spells it produces are somewhat weaker than they are when the spell is spoken, as well, but sometimes that doesn’t particularly matter. I can’t say that doing so without motion works, though. Our magic is an active skill in many regards. Most magic depends quite as much as your positioning, the direction of your wand, things like that. Careless posture and wand gestures can be disastrous in some cases. I am, however, quite amazed at the idea of an entire country where everyone even knows of magic. On my world, it’s kept quite a secret for the safety of wizards and muggles alike.” Of course, using magic was impossible for those who weren’t born with the talent… something particularly different between their two worlds.

On the matter of the fate of their fathers, Oryn could only shrug. “My father was a wretch who had long grown aware that I’d outgrown the age where he could either physically or magically overpower me. I believe I was fourteen when he realized that I was no longer the one who needed be frightened. By the time I was sixteen, he was positively terrified of me.” Granted, of all the years of his life, that one, where his school had been turned momentarily into a home for the dark arts, he hadn’t really been proud of. It had given him many reasons to learn his memory charms, though… “It sounds like much a similar situation, though… we had something rather nasty that needed banishing, and my father’s life was a sacrifice to the effort that I was most happy to make. Had it not been for that, he’d quite passed beyond being worth my notice at the time.” He considered it a moment as he let his finger slide over her tail as it patted him. “I’m not sure we actually destroyed that horror, but I’m sure it won’t be back any time soon.”
Dungeons & Dragons-Forgotten Realms

27 Posts
1 Threads
Job: Rogue/Sorceress
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Yes!
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,205
The differences and similarities in their magic were interesting. Oryn was obviously a rather practiced mage, his talent one he was born with, much like herself, and yet there were things that she could do that he could not, and vice versa. She certainly couldn’t pick up a wand of True Seeing and cast a different spell with it. Well, perhaps if she tried hard enough she might be able to, but he did it without hardship! But where she could stand still and utter a simple syllable and cast one of her easier spells, he had to make motions in order to cast even the lowest rank of his spells. “Oh yes. Halruaa is an interesting place; they are all capable of at least cantrips, and most can cast novice level spells. Thay is another country where magic is prevalent, another country of wizards, though not everyone there is capable of casting. But magic is common enough in my world that most have at least heard of wizards and sorcerers, or at least have a local cleric with at least a few simple divine works.”

Fathers. Both of them had gotten bad ones, it seemed. Parents were meant to be surpassed by their children; that was their lot in life. Someday, perhaps, very far in the future, Torynn would have a son or daughter who would do her proud. But she would not, she hoped, be the sort of parent one had to banish or ensorcell into a staff. Or sacrifice to banish something worse. “It seems we have plenty in common, Oryn. That’s nice; it’s rare for me to find common ground with people; they see my skin and wings and...tail…” He pet her tail. He pet it, and oh, that felt very nice. The limb went still, and then shivered before shifting to give better access before she continued as if nothing had happened, “and then that’s that. Or I wear a disguise and people don’t know me for what I really am.” She shrugged, as though it weren’t something that troubled her in the least, “It’s good to rid the world of a threat, even for a short time.”

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“It was once something like that in my world. We could openly use magic, make ourselves known to the muggles- the non-magic people. Most mages, I’m told, at the time would carry swords just because dueling with magic against someone who couldn’t use it was considered unsporting. My family still is reported to have a few old magic blades in our vaults somewhere…” He recognized the signs that he was about to start lecturing again and cut himself off short. “But that was some centuries ago. We took on a very secretive approach to keep our lives from being a constant battle against religious zealots and angry mobs. These days, it’s almost easy to get by with anything we do without being suspected because everyone ‘knows’ that there’s no such thing as magic,” he mused, chuckling quietly.

When her speech broke, Oryn couldn’t help be a little amused with the situation. She might power through like it was nothing, but it wasn’t like he was a fool. He smiled slyly at her, peering at her through slightly narrowed eyes as he gave the tail a light squeeze. “Well, I can quite understand seeing the wings and tails and being intrigued, but aside from that? Small-minded fools, I’d say.” In a very calm sort of playfulness, he gave the tail a gentle tug in his direction. If she liked it, she should come closer, after all… though he didn’t particularly want to come out and ask her to, and he had this impression that she might not particularly like making it look like she was obeying a command (as willful people were wont to let such things be interpreted in their minds).

27 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

It was a fascinating thing, to learn the differences and similarities between the worlds they came from. His world had no daemons, had goblinoid-like elves, and was a place where wizards had to hide their magic. He spoke of religious zealots, and Torynn frowned, they had those on ToriI, too, but even the Zhentarim used magic.

There were differences between arcane and divine casting, but there were those who could manage both. No such thing as magic. That didn't sound nice at all. "I can't imagine living without magic, to be honest, Oryn. But then, the idea of a world untouched by demons and devils is alien to me. Good perhaps, but alien."

Of course Torynn just pushed through it. As distracting as it was, she tried not to let it interfere. But she had too little practice to make the reaction completely unnoticeable. She didn't bother to hope the perceptive mage wouldn't notice; he would, of course, and the sly smile and accompanying squeeze to her tail only served to confirm this fact. Well, and earn another small l shiver from the fey'ri, who took a step closer to him. She didn't like being told what to do, but simultaneously, she didn't want to discourage the wizard, either. "Quite small minded, yes, but it is what it is." Her tail curled around his arm, gentle, but firm as she "petted" him back.

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, we have to navigate all sorts of alien concepts here, I suppose,” he reasoned. “I’d never want to be without magic either, it just seems so unnecessarily tedious. On the other hand, they seem to have managed fairly well to adapt to their limited abilities on my world. It’s apparently not too bad… but again, I’d never want to find out for myself.”

Oryn might be a calm man, a careful man, not known for letting his emotions run hot or his mind to get away from him, but even he couldn’t deny the fact that this was a very attractive woman who was here with him, who had her tail wrapped around his arm, and seemed to be quite enjoying the physical attention he was giving her. As she wrapped her tail about his arm, he let his eyes drift coolly, but appreciatively, over her, and his hand slid a bit higher on her tail, but not too high. He was, after all, a patient man, and only the uncouth rushed into things without any regard for tact and procedure. “Well, then our world wouldn’t seem that alien to you, I suppose. It’s also rather filled with small-minded people. Fortunately, one isn’t forced to interact with the world as a whole, only those that they care to know in particular.”

27 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Alien concepts. Yes. Like wizards who could only cast spells while wielding a wand, worlds where demons were unheard of, where divine magic was completely absent, where elves were a tiny, subservient race. "I wonder what might happen to me in a world without magic... Not that I can to find out; my being is magical, on both sides of my heritage. I cannot imagine such a world being pleasant in any way, at least, not for me, or someone like me."

Oryn did come across as perhaps more aloof than most humans, but everyone was different. He had yet to attempt any sort of claim on her, which only made her like him all the more. Ivellious and Whitefyre had attempted to monopolize her friendship. House Night star coveted her magical ability, Sarya her stealth and cunning. All had sought to lay some claim or another upon her, but Oryn only made offers.

It was enough that sometimes she wondered if she had misjudged his entire race. Or whether humans on his strange, strange world were more like the elves of hers, if only less covetous. In the end, she decided it was more likely that Oryn sun ply was who and how he was. "something," she ventured, "Are nearly universal. There are always going to be the small minded. Imagine how happy and productive a world without people like that would be, though."

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“It’s an interesting question,” Oryn mused. “On the other hand, there’s no real reason to find out. A world with no magic wouldn’t have any real use for me… well, none that I can think of, at least, and I’d imagine it’s the same for you. I’m willing to revisit that idea in the future if something unique is discovered about a non-magical world.” Most of these worlds would have technological marvels, he had no doubt… and those were useless to him, with magic making them behave irregularly. Then again, in those worlds, if he had no magic they would work correctly… well, again, he’d keep an open mind in the future, but he wasn’t expecting much.

“Oh, I don’t know how productive such a world would be,” he admitted. “If the small minded folk were absent, who would clean it and do other menial jobs? Those of us with minds and skills rather need the use of our time for more important things. I’m more curious what a world would be like where it was only peopled with the small-minded. Have you ever wanted to rule a world, my dear? It might be an amusing pastime for a month or so, if we ever find a place like that.”

27 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

It was an interesting question, yes, or she wouldn’t have wondered it, but at the same time, she had no real interest in crossing over to a magic starved world and finding out if she simply ceased to be in such a place, or if she perhaps became something less than she was, or if she would wither and die. None of those options were pleasant sounding, and while there was certainly the possibility that absolutely nothing would happen, or that she’d simply be cut off from her spells and abilities, which wasn’t as terrible, but wouldn’t be enjoyable, either. “Perhaps. Maybe someone here will have more information about such things. I’m not interested in going to a world and suffering for it.” She might be willing to discuss it again later, but that didn’t mean she’d be any more tempted to go to such a place than she was currently.

Shrugging, Torynn tipped her head as she considered what Oryn said, “Wouldn’t they just simply use magic? Or summon beings to do such simple chores for them? That way they could focus on more important endeavors.”

A world with only the small minded? The tip of her tail twitched, and shifted along his arm, “It could be fun for a while. I’ve never been a queen before.” She shrugged; she didn’t truly aspire to such a thing, but.. “I could imagine it being entertaining for a month.” Before it became boring and tedious. Being in charge seemed like a lot of fun until you realized that it actually took work, much of which was of the paper variety.