Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 135
Contrary to popular belief, Steve isn't so stubborn as to not listen to good advice occasionally. That is why he takes the night to sleep on things before making any final decisions or confronting Mr. Stark.

The next morning Steve looks around his empty room. The only thing he came to the hub with is his shield and the clothes on his back, and that's the only thing he plans on taking with him.

He's leaving the mansion. In light of everything he's learned staying here and taking advantage of Mr. Starks hospitality just doesn't seem right. Besides he's sure there are other places in the hub he can stay at that aren't connected to Mr. Stark or the Avengers.

However, before he goes he should at least let Mr. Stark know he's going. Maybe he can even asked why he lied; about not being Iron Man and about being his friend. Steve's not sure if he wants to know the answer. Maybe instead of talking he can just find the answers in Christians comics.

Shouldering his shield Steve walks down the hall to Mr. Stark's room and knocks.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 251
The knock on his door startled Tony into wakefulness. It took him a moment to remember where he was, in the Mansion and the Hub.

He rolled out of bed, pulling on a shirt, and frowning slightly to himself as he wondered who it could be. The only person to stop by his room these days was Safi, but never this early in the morning. (Well, relatively early. Tony didn't always keep regular hours.)

When he pulled the door open, he did a double take. Not Safi, but Steve, standing rigidly with his arms crossed and his shield on his back.

Worse was the expression on his face. It was one Tony knew very, very well. One that had been burned into his memory several times over the course of the horrible past year. Steve looked undeniably betrayed. It looked deeply out of place on his youthful face.

"Cap," Tony greeted him shortly, hoping not to show that the bottom had dropped out of his stomach as soon as Steve's expression had registered. "What's going on? Is everything all right?"
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

It is obvious that Steve is the last person that Mr. Stark was expecting when he opens the door, although he tries to play it cool. Everything thing Steve had planned to say to him dies on the tip of his tongue. His carefully sculpted speech gone the moment Steve looks at him.

Fresh waves of pain and betrayal crash over Steve. He truly hasn't known Mr. Stark for that long, but he had trusted the man. He had considered Mr. Stark a good man and Iron Man his best friend. More than that Iron Man was his hero for saving him from the ice. Finding out now that Mr. Stark is Iron Man, is like finding out that Santa Claus was really just his mom all along, only worse because he never considered Santa a close personal friend.

"You're Iron Man" he says, "why did you lie to me?"
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

For several moments, Tony searched for something to say and came up completely blank. His mind was caught on the fact that Steve's look of betrayal had been exactly that, and with it came a terrible spiral of deja vu because it hadn't been that long ago that another Steve had been staring at him in the exact same way for the exact same reason. And that shield on his back? Had Steve come to hurt him?

And beyond that, he simply didn't have a good answer to Steve's question. There was the literal answer, which was that he had a secret identity in Steve's time. Then there was the more honest answer, which was that he hadn't wanted to change Steve's view of Iron Man before he'd had a chance to prove himself. When his Steve had made it all too clear what he really thought of the Tony Stark he'd come to know. (And maybe there was an even more honest answer lurking in there, one he hadn't quite acknowledged, which was that keeping Steve at arms length was far less painful than any alternative.)

"I--" he stopped, and stepped back out of the doorway. "I guess we need to talk. Do you want to come in?"
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Mr. Stark didn't deny it. Steve had accused him of being Iron Man and he had just stood there. Some small part of Steve had been holding out hope that he was wrong, that Christian's comic books were inaccurate, but Mr. Stark's silence is all the confirmation he needs.

Mr. Stark steps to the side and invites him in to talk. This, Steve supposes, is the best he can hope for. He steps inside and awkwardly looks for a place to sit that isn't the rumpled bed. Finding none, he stands stiffly and crosses his arms tightly.

"Ok. Talk," Steve says.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve had his arms folded, his expression still stony. Tony did his best to ignore the hollow pit that had opened in his stomach. It hadn't gone like this the first time around. The first time around, Steve hadn't faulted him at all for keeping a secret identity. But then, the first time around, Tony hadn't been lying exclusively to Steve, and he'd actually had a reason.

"Okay. Talk.

Tony cleared his throat. "So, uh. I'm sorry." As Steve kept staring at him he went on awkwardly, "I should have told you sooner. I know that. As for the 'why'..." he trailed off, finding it impossible to hold Steve's gaze, not when all he could see was his own Cap's anger and betrayal. This was the last thing he'd wanted. "I was being selfish. Now that you know who I really am, that probably won't come as a surprise to you."
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

At least Tony was being apologetic, not that it really stopped the hurt. It also didn't really answer his question and Steve suspected a lot of it had to do with whatever happened between Tony and the Steve of his time. Which isn't fair, Steve isn't that man yet and he doesn't appreciate being held up against the ghost of who he might become. It is hard enough fighting against the legend of Captain America without this added obstacle.

"But why didn't you tell me? Everyone else clearly knew" Steve says, "And you being selfish does come as a surprise to me. I barely know you! I've only even knew Iron Man for a few months"
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony had hoped his apology would be enough to send Steve away, but Steve wasn't having any of it. But then, it was easy to forget that this Steve didn't know him, not really. He didn't know that Tony had practically made a career of decisions Steve couldn't, or wouldn't, understand. Instead he was still acting like he expected some explanation to make things right.

"Everyone else wasn't from my past," Tony said. It wasn't the real point, obviously, and he doubted Steve would be satisfied. He weighed his options, finding none of them great, before settling on a slightly more honest path. "Look. You and I--the you from my time--our relationship was...complicated. You and old Shellhead, you don't have that problem. Let me pretend for a minute there that I didn't either." He realized he was speaking as if his old alter ego was a separate person, but in some ways, he had been. In Steve's eyes he had been. "Like I said. Selfish."
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve just stares at Tony blankly. The apology is cryptic at best. Steve still has no idea why there relationship is so complicated, though he can guess it probably involves a lot of lying.

"Well I'm sorry to hear about our lack of friendship in the future" Steve says stiffly. It hurt to think that this budding friendship ultimately went nowhere. Steve never had been very good at making friends. It also hurt to know that he wasn't going to get a satisfying response from Mr. Stark. That's alright, Steve is still holding out hope that Christian's comics will she'd some light on the subject.

"I wish you had been honest with me from the beginning, but no use crying over spilled milk," Steve says. This isn't the worst thing to ever happen to him, and he reminds himself of that fact firmly.

"I just came to thank you for your hospitality and say goodbye." Steve finishes.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“Wait,” Tony said sharply.

It wasn’t that he hadn’t seen this as a potential outcome. He was a genius, and a futurist, and it was habit to map the eventualities of any decision in his mind before he acted. No, it was that the thought of Steve leaving—the Mansion? The Hub entirely?—made him feel suddenly and sharply like someone had gutted him with an ice cream scoop. It made him want to be honest, or something close to it. But then, Steve had always had that effect on him.

“It’s not that we weren’t friends,” he said lamely, the perfect mental image of Cap’s furious face screaming from a cell crossing his mind’s eye before it was subsumed again by a cold still motionless one. It made him feel like a liar again even though it hadn’t been his intention. “We were—like I said—complicated. Separate sides of an issue and we both knew we were right. But I never—“ he cleared his throat as tears prickled unexpectedly. “I never wanted you dead. I never wanted you gone. I, I always... hoped you’d come around. You didn’t and you died. But that was only the last year. We had ten good ones before that. We were friends.”

He took a deep breath, wishing he had a drink. “That’s why I did it. The Steve I knew died hating Tony Stark. It was easier to pretend Iron Man was someone different. Like I said. Selfish.” He paused, his gaze dropping from Steve to the floor. He felt broken inside and he hated it. “Please don’t leave.”
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve fully plans on walking out and not looking back, but something about the desperate tone as Tony shouts "wait" stops him. Steve stops folding his arms across his chest as he waits for what he hopes is an honest explanation. He listens to Mr. Stark say his piece. The sadness and honest regret clear in his voice.

"I don't care what kind of relationship you had with the future me, who may not even end up existing." Steve says, "I have refused to live my life in the shadow of Captain America since the moment I woke up, and I'll be damned if I live my life in the shadow of some other version of Steve Rogers. So you better start learning to tell the two of us apart Mister."

The anger is still there. The feeling of betrayal still burns too. But worst is the hurt from the knowledge that everyone is expecting, and would probably prefer, the Steve Rogers of the future. At least he would have an idea of what the hell is going on. Still, Mr. Stark's apology was sincere and Steve was no stranger to the idea that grief could make a man do stupid things. He would stay, for now.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve turned around with his arms folded. Still angry. Of course he was. But he’d stopped. The vice grip on Tony’s gut eased, ever so slightly, and he took an involuntary step forward.

He wanted to put his hands on Steve’s shoulders and hold him there. As if that could convince him to stay. As if he’d ever been capable of making Cap do anything he didn’t want to do.

“...so you better start telling the two of us apart, mister.”

Tony stared at him as he spoke, and some distant unhinged part of his mind wanted to laugh. Staring at Steve, it was impossible not to see the lines of Cap’s face. The way his brow furrowed when he was angry, the familiar tightness of his jaw, the earnest betrayal in his clear blue eyes. He’d thought he’d be used to it by now, considering all the time he’d spent with Safi. But he hadn’t looked at Steve closely—really looked—since he’d come to the Hub, and it was all crashing down on him at once how this was STEVE and how much he missed him and how lying had kept him at arms reach so that he hadn’t really had to deal with the pain of it.

So of course, now would be the time for Steve to insist that he was someone different altogether, that Tony’s friendship with his older self meant absolutely nothing to him and that it was time for Tony to back off. The rejection was clear.

He wanted Steve so much it felt like a physical pull, like there was an electromagnetic field around him and Tony was really made of iron. He wanted to cry.

“Okay,” he said instead. “You’re not him. We’re not friends. I get it.” He cleared his throat, folding his own arms. “Well. I can’t keep you here. Obviously. I just—if you need anything. You know, here. You know where to find me.”
[hr]
Steve turned around with his arms folded. Still angry. Of course he was. But he’d stopped. The vice grip on Tony’s gut eased, ever so slightly, and he took an involuntary step forward.

He wanted to put his hands on Steve’s shoulders and hold him there. As if that could convince him to stay. As if he’d ever been capable of making Cap do anything he didn’t want to do.

“...so you better start telling the two of us apart, mister.”

Tony stared at him as he spoke, and some distant unhinged part of his mind wanted to laugh. Staring at Steve, it was impossible not to see the lines of Cap’s face. The way his brow furrowed when he was angry, the familiar tightness of his jaw, the earnest betrayal in his clear blue eyes. He’d thought he’d be used to it by now, considering all the time he’d spent with Safi. But he hadn’t looked at Steve closely—really looked—since he’d come to the Hub, and it was all crashing down on him at once how this was STEVE and how much he missed him and how lying had kept him at arms reach so that he hadn’t really had to deal with the pain of it.

So of course, now would be the time for Steve to insist that he was someone different altogether, that Tony’s friendship with his older self meant absolutely nothing to him and that it was time for Tony to back off. The rejection was clear.

He wanted Steve so much it felt like a physical pull, like there was an electromagnetic field around him and Tony was really made of iron. He wanted to cry.

“Okay,” he said instead. “You’re not him. We’re not friends. I get it.” He cleared his throat, folding his own arms. “Well. I can’t keep you here. Obviously. I just—if you need anything. You know, here. You know where to find me.”
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve finishes talking and waits for Mr. Stark's response. He tries not to shift uncomfortably as Mr. Stark's stares at him like this is the first time he's really seeing him. Steve tries not to feel better and resentful towards Mr. Stark's Steve for making everything that much harder by existing first. That wasn't fair of him.

Mr. Stark looks about ready to burst into hysterical laughter or cry and Steve isn't sure he's prepared to deal with either. Finally Mr. Stark speaks, breaking the silence that is verging on awkward.

“Okay. You’re not him. We’re not friends. I get it.” 

Steve sighs, "you know, I'm not opposed to building a friendship with you. I just can't be friends with someone who is always going to be comparing me to someone else. I can't live up to that."

Steve gives Mr. Stark a sad smile. He wonders if Mr. Stark's even wants to be friends with him or if he's just so desperate to replace the old Steve Rogers that any beefy blonde will do. That hurt to think about. He hoped that Mr. Stark's friendship with the old Steve wasn't so shallow that Mr. Stark could just swap one Steve for another without it meaning anything.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

It wasn't exactly the response he'd expected. Considering how furious Steve had been coming to him, and how betrayed he'd sounded, Tony had been completely unprepared for the possibility that Steve might forgive him. His own Steve, after all, had made it plain that Tony had lost his trust for good.

Except this wasn't his Steve. His snorted softly at himself, at how quickly he'd gone right back to comparing them when all this Steve wanted was to stop. Still. Young Steve or his Steve, Tony couldn't understand why his anger had dissipated.

And because he was Tony Stark, he couldn't leave well enough alone. "You think we can build a friendship," he repeated in a low voice. "I lied to you. Betrayed you, even. You were ready to leave this place entirely to get away from me. Even if I could stop seeing--him--which, for the record, I never will, why would you want to be friends now?"
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

They stare at each other. Mr. Stark snorts softly, though Steve can hardly see anything amusing about this whole situation.

Finally Mr. Stark speaks. Steve tries not to be hurt at the reminder that Mr. Stark had lied to him, betrayed him, and is more than willing to let the future play so Steve dies like he is meant to. What hurts even more though is the fact that Mr. Stark is unwilling to even try separating the Steve in front of him from the Steve he lost. As for why he wants to try being friends, Steve blinks in surprise, he would have thought the answer was obvious.

"You were kind to me when I came out of the ice, I do appreciate that...besides all my other friends are dead," he says bluntly. Clearly, he was an idiot for coming here and thinking Mr. Stark would be willing to listen to him, and not just see what he wants to see. Even after knowing him for only a few months, he knows Mr. Stark is one of the most stubborn man he has ever met. And right now Steve doesn't have the energy to argue, doesn't have the energy to confront his ghost that's hanging over his shoulder. If Mr. Stark's grudge match with the old Steve is that important Steve is going to let him keep it. There are other people in the hub that he can be friends with.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"You were kind to me when I came out of the ice, I do appreciate that...besides all my other friends are dead."

Well, that was something. Tony couldn't help a small, sick smile that crept across his face, because Steve had always had a way of putting things in the simplest terms possible. Then he let the smile fade, shaking his head.

"You can do better than me," he said honestly. "In our time--my time, I mean--you're actually... beloved. More friends than you know what to do with. Knew what to do with. Sorry. The truth is," he stopped and swallowed, because it hadn't seemed so obvious until just now, "you'd probably be better off without me. The other you, the older you, sure would have been. "

If Cap hadn't had the remnants of his friendship with Tony in mind, maybe he wouldn't have hesitated when Tony had told him to finish it. For all that Tony's motives had been anything but altruistic in withholding the truth from Steve, it was possible some good could come of it after all.
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Tony gives him a brief smile, which quickly disappears with a shake of his head.

Beloved? Steve almost laughs at that. He's pretty sure nobody has ever used that word to describe him. Even in the army, Steve Rogers wasn't really popular... maybe Captain America could have been considered beloved though.

Steve shakes his head.

"He might have been beloved, but I don't think that is going to help me. I think a lot of people will have the same problem your having with separating us," Steve says, "I think I'm going to just end up disappointing a lot of people."

Steve wonders why Mr. Stark keeps insisting that Steve would be better off without him. Was that the polite way of Mr. Stark letting him down easy? It sure seemed like it, and Steve could take a hint; any hope of a friendship with Mr. Stark is just fanciful daydreaming and he should stop trying now.

"Of course Mr. Stark. I won't be bothering you anymore" Steve says stiffly.