Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Job: Thief/Scout/Scoundrel
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 846
Remy didn’t go back to the Goddess immediately after he had met Jaya and they had...Talked. Not only was it simply not his style, but it would give the wrong impression. Instead, he had met with a client and gone on a job.

He hadn’t actually been looking for anything. But as he’d been coming out of the insanely plush study, he’d noticed an old but not overly expensive frame, within which had rested a… He’d thought at first a letter, as it was obviously handwritten, but when he had looked, it was a poem, written in beautiful calligraphy. It wasn’t his earth he was on, it wasn’t Hub, and no one would ever know… He knew this. His eyes had slid around the room checking for security and any other little tricks the owner might have set up, and then he’d plucked the frame from the wall, walking off with it and the pearl necklace he’d been hired to retrieve.

When he’d gotten back to his home in Hub, he’d sat down and gone over the framed poem in detail, cleaning it, wiping any trace of its previous ownership from it. Then he had wrapped it in plain brown paper, and handed it to a courier with a simple note of, “I hope you like poetry, chere.” with his first initial on it and had sent it off.

Si vous avez dit que vous étiez froid
Je t'enverrais les bras autour de toi.
Si vous dites que vous aviez soif, je vous donnerais l'océan bleu.
Je vous donnerais tout: la lune, les étoiles, le coucher du soleil aussi.

It had been days since then, and Remy walked into the Goddess, the little present forgotten about already as he whistled to himself, taking a seat at the bar and ordering their top shelf bourbon with an easy grin to the bartender. Once the drink was in his hand, he turned to see if he could spot Jaya, wondering if perhaps she was lonely and in need of companionship tonight like he was.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 578
Jaya had been somewhat bemused when she received the gift, Terran males weren't usually so civilized, and the sentiment, although it wasn't quite expressing a desire to pair-bond with her, it did seem to express the wish to have an ongoing emotional and physical connection with her. which wasn't unheard of, either on Terra or in the Orion Syndicate. It was, she decided, quite pleasant. So she'd hung the art up in her private quarters, and when Remy showed up, a few days later....

"Hello." she said, embracing him. "It's good to see you again, Remy. The gift was lovely."
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

It was something of a traditionl in the Guild. When you were on a job, if you saw something you wanted to give to your chere, you picked it up before you left, wiped it clean, made absolutely certain it was safe, and then you gave it as a gift. And that was that. Remy didn’t really have anyone in his life to pick these little petits cadeaux up for, but the frame had caught his attention, the cream colored parchment was aged the long way around, and the poem had made him smile. And he wouldn’t admit to it to anyone else, but he’d thought of the Orion woman who had given as much as she had taken, the sentiment in the poem sweet and romantic without feeling clingy. So he’d picked it up.

So what?

Until this, he’d not had anyone he thought of bringing something back for since… Since Bella Donna, and it had been over a decade since then. And it had felt nice to do this, even if Jaya likely wouldn’t understand the gesture. It didn’t matter, it had made him feel good.

When he walked into the Goddess, he hadn’t been thinking of the poem, only that he was lonely, and craved company, and he had liked Jaya, she was intelligent and good company as well as being good companionship. When she embraced him, he grinned, reaching for her, his hold light and carefree. “Ah, de poem?” he chuckled and nodded, “I am glad yo’ liked et.”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya didn't know it was customary for Remy's people to give gifts, but she'd been raised with similar expectations, and so understood the gesture. And would have been pleased, if surprised, to see a Terran behaving so normally.

"I did like it." she replied "Terran males don't often give gifts like that." asking for an explanation, as well as offering a compliment. "I hung it in my quarters." she added, kissing his cheek.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

The Guild was full of little traditions like that. Some of them were great, like the huge Christmas parties his family threw for the entire Guild, and things like this, where you were not only encouraged but expected to bring home gifts for those you cared about. And then there were other traditions like duels and hazing the new recruits that were just a bit less pleasant. But it was the Guild, his Guild, and Remy loved it. Living up to those traditions made him feel normal, made him feel a part of something again, and he was grateful for that.

When she stated that Terrans didn’t usually give her gifts, he arched a brow, “Perhaps yo’ jus’ haven’ been spending time wit’ de right Terran males, hm?” He chuckled, then shrugged, “Et es a t’ing we do, en my Guild. Besides,” he smiled to her, “Who doesn’ like t’get a gift? An’ who doesn’ like t’earn such warm welcomes from a beautiful lady?” He turned his head so that instead of his cheek, she met his lips, just briefly before he gave her a playful, teasing smile, "Remy certainly does."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

The custom of giving gifts to a woman you were interested in was part of Orion culture, and had been since time out of mind. In the old days, it had been small handicrafts, and only given as a sign of serious interest, because men weren't allowed to own property, but as men had gained more rights, and more freedom to select and pursue relationships, the expectation had grown that they would give gifts as an expression of interest, as fine as they could afford, although the degree of interest in the woman was also a factor.

The present that Remy had given was, by Orion standards, suitable for the start of a sexual relationship, and apparently that might be the case for Remy's Guild, which was starting to sound like an analogy of the Orion Syndicate. Which was also interesting. "Perhaps I haven't." Jaya said, smiling in return "Your Guild? Is that what you call your extended family?" wanting to be certain that she had the proper information, since eventually all of this would need to be reported to the Syndicate. And it would also affect her on the ground, if she was to form a close connection with Remy and possibly do business with his family, or his Guild, whatever that was. "I certainly enjoy them." Jaya replied, smiling when he turned his head, so that their lips touched.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

On Earth, too, it was customary to give gifts, though honestly, in most places, situations, and cultures, gifts were reserved mostly for family and close friends, and/or for anniversaries and special events. Marriage, birthdays, anniversaries pertaining to relationships… It was a much rarer thing to give a gift ‘just because’ and usually that was a card or flowers.

Remy didn’t do cards. And while he might send flowers, those were a more formal affair. Because those sorts of things were bought, instead of simply taken whilst doing something else. So while Remy might give more gifts of higher value, a gift of flowers? That would have more meaning behind it. But he didn’t speak of that - it was far too personal for him, and they were simply speaking of how nice it was to give and receive gifts, as well as that this was normal for them.

“Et certainly does no’ sound like yo’ have.” he agreed gently, and then he paused, giving her a waggle of his hand in the ‘sort of’ gesture. “Well, dere es ma famile, mon Pere, et mon frere… Ma tante… Mercy, my brother’s wife, dere children. But den dere es de Guild… An’ I suppose dey are a family o’ sorts. I woul’ fight an’ sacrifice fo’ dem.” And he had, oh, how he had sacrificed for family and Guild. “We work toget’er, an’ ma famile es… Mon Pere runs de Guild, yo’ see? So…” Remy shrugged, “Et es assumed all o’ us belong. An’ we do, o’ course.” He spoke of the Guild with affection and fondness, “Some en de Guild are related t’our family, an’ some are no’ related by blood. But we are all part o’ de Guild, an’ so we are connected.”

Except that Remy really wasn’t anymore. He’d been exiled. But he didn’t consider that just now; he was smiling and relaxed as he spoke to Jaya. “Bien.” He liked that she enjoyed his gift. That she had put it up where she could see it. Maybe he’d find something else that made him think of her on his next job.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I've met many Terran males, but few of them like you." Jaya said, meaning it for the compliment it was. She listened with interest at his description "That sounds very like the Orion Syndicate." she said, thoughtfully, not mentioning that her family wasn't nearly as highly placed as his was. Oh, they were solidly in the middle tier, but they weren't close to being the leaders. Although it sounded like it might be a smaller operation than her Syndicate, but still, the analogy held, and that meant, well, it meant that there were potential benefits to being with him, beyond the mere pleasure of his company. Which was appealing enough on its own. "The organization that my family is part of." she continued, by way of explanation "I was raised with an extended family as well, my parents and sisters and uncle and cousins. i'm the eldest, none of us have married as yet." at least she hoped Nala hadn't, if she had, well, that would make things difficult for Kaalth, especially if Nala wanted to come to the Hub.

"Now." she said, putting her arms around him "What have you been up to, when you've been away."
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

Remy chuckled at the comment/compliment, taking it as it was meant, “Dere are no ot’ers like moi, chere.” The words were playful and spoken in good cheer, but they were also true; Remy had yet to meet someone quite like himself, either in ability or in personality. His brother was likely the closest in the second, but they were also quite different. Henri had always been the more serious of the two, and Remy, while ever dutiful, was the playful younger brother. Remy shifted his shoulders in an approximation of a shrug, not a full one, but an acceptance of her words. She didn’t know what Remy did for a living, it wasn’t something every thief went around proclaiming, and while he was far from ashamed of his work, as far as he knew, Jaya was a law abiding citizen of the Hub, and he wasn’t sure what she would think of thievery.

He didn’t ask her what her Syndicate did, and she hadn’t, he noticed, asked what his Guild did. Good. It was better this way, just in case she would have a problem with him being a thief. He nodded as she spoke, smiling. Raised. Yes, he supposed Jean-Luc LeBeau had raised him, from the time he was eight until shortly after his seventeenth birthday, until the day of his wedding, and the following exile.

None of them had married yet. Remy shifted, nodding, “Mon frere es married. I… Am no’ married.” The words came out with just a hint of sadness to them, but it didn’t linger. Bella Donna had made her decisions, and he couldn’t blame her, not at all. He spread his hands, “Which leaves Remy free t’do as he pleases.”

What had he been up to? He smiled, reaching to hold her lightly against him, “Well, other den working? No’ much. Alas, most o’ my work consists o’ being bored and waiting fo’ long periods o’ time. An’ den I am rewarded wit’ a few moments wort’ o’ activity before I am finished.” He chuckled, “An’ now I am here, where et es no’ boring an’ lonely.”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"That may very well be true." Jaya said, smiling at him "More is the pity." wanting to know more about that Guild, of which his family was a part she asked "I know that your family moves people from place to place here in the Hub, is that their business on your Earth as well?" not that she'd judge him, whatever the answer was. She knew what most Terrans thought about her business, and the Orion Syndicate, well, they dealt in all sorts of quasi-legal and outright illegal things, and stealing? That was just a normal part of the things that Orion Slave Girls did, when the had to.

Jaya noticed the sadness, and made a mental note not to bring it up again, at least not in casual conversation. "I'm glad that it pleases you to spend some of that time with me, then." she said happily. Not that she'd care if he had a mate, maintaining any vows of fidelity was his task, not hers.

"I'm sorry that your life is so dull at the moment." Jaya said, "But I hope that it won't continue to be lonely."
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

Of course it was true. Remy felt himself to be one of a kind. All people were, mostly, but there were those who were...less unique. He laughed lightly at her regret that there were not more like him, and winked to her, “Well, yo’ got dis Remy, non?” Remy tipped his head and wrinkled his nose, “Es some o’ et. Dere are many services we provide en de Guild. Dis...moving...es one o’ dese t’ings we can do, but et es no’ all o’ et.” Stealing was Remy’s way of life, his livelihood, though he could forge what needed to be forged, and he could do many other things… He was adept at scouting and finding people who needed the sort of help his family offered here in the Hub, after all, but his calling was thievery. Most people, most law-abiding people anyway, would frown on his sort of work, but Remy didn’t let that bother him. He frowned upon sitting at a desk all day pushing papers around.

It wasn’t as though Remy wanted to be married. He didn’t, not really, but there would likely always be a lingering sadness over the loss of his relationship with Bella Donna. He had loved her, maybe it had been young love, puppy love, but he had loved her, and she had been the first he’d ever loved like that. But things had ended, and Remy had made his peace with that years ago. The fact of the matter was that he was less sad over the loss of Bella than he was the knowledge that finding a woman who would accept an exile as a husband was unlikely. Yes, he had money, but little stability, and no family he could bring her home to meet, not once Henri and Mercy returned to New Orleans, and he wasn’t entirely certain how long their stay would be; he hadn’t spoken to them yet.

He should probably go and see them… He just… It made him nervous. That’s all. “Oui, et does.” It pleased him very much, please and thank you.

So dull at the moment. Remy laughed happily at the words, and then told Jaya, his voice low and playful, “Well, es no dull o’ lonely at dis moment, chere. I don’ t’ink I could be lonely en yo’ presence, could I?”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Yes, I do, don't I." Jaya said, pressing up to him, enjoying the feel of his warm skin against her own. "And the rest?" Jaya asked, probing gently "Don't worry, I won't judge you or your family. Orions don't have the best reputation among Terrans, back in my universe."

"I'm glad that it pleases you." she said, her voice going low as well as she said "I am glad that you find my presence interesting. And that you enjoy my company. I hope later we can more fully enjoy each other's company."
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

Oh yes, just now, Jaya definitely had this Remy. The younger LeBeau brother had been quite taken with the Orion, and not just because she was experienced and skilled in her profession, either. But Jaya was intelligent and bright and warm. Physically, but also emotionally. She wasn’t withdrawn, she was present and there, and that was something that Remy required, both from a partner as well as from a friend or confidant.

He weighed the question carefully, watching her as he admitted quietly, “Well, dey call us de T’ieve’s Guild fo’ a reason, chere.” Back home, it was known who the LeBeaus were, if kept quiet. They were pillars of the community, and rarely worked too close to home, not for anything more than the petty things, anyway. They pick pocketed tourists, but only those who could afford the loss, and never stole from local businesses. In order to be robbed within New Orleans, someone had to order a contract. They created less fuss and buzz locally than the Assassin’s Guild, and that was looked upon favorably by the natives. Here, it was a different story, but honestly, Remy didn’t see the harm in telling Jaya. It wasn’t exactly a secret, even if it were kept quiet. “But le’s no’ make a fuss over et, oui? I will no’ steal from yo’, chere. I do no’ such t’ings.” Steal from friends or allies. That would be disgraceful, and Remy was a man of honor.

His lips curled upwards as he smiled to her, “Et pleases me greatly.” He’d sent her a present to tell her exactly that, after all. “I am glad dat yo’ prove t’be stimulating t’talk to. An’ I hope yo’ enjoy my company as I do yours.” His head tipped toward hers, not quite close enough to kiss, but still enough to be intimate, “Dis sounds like a pleasant night, non? What do yo’ plan between now an’ later?” He was content to just sit and chat, but if she were busy, then he wouldn’t keep her from her responsibilities or plans, either.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya had to confess that she found Remy charming as well, out of bed as well as in it. He was clever, and perceptive and she enjoyed spending time with him. Not to mention the fact that he'd sent her a present. More than that, he'd sent her a present because he thought that was what was proper and, well, she would never not find it appealing when a human behaved in a civilized matter, even though her head told her not to take such behavior too seriously.

When Remy confessed to what his Guild's business was, she couldn't help but laugh "Stealing? Is that all? Remy, I'm a member of the Orion Syndicate. Stealing and dealing in stolen goods? We do that all the time. I haven't stolen anything other than myself, personally, but my father and uncle have a very profitable sideline as fences." she dropped a gentle kiss on his mouth "Of course you won't steal from me. If you did, then I wouldn't couple with you, and that would be sad, wouldn't it?" the last said with a tease, she knew that Remy wasn't the sort to double cross people he was on friendly terms with.

"I don't have any plans for the rest of the evening, as it happens." Jaya replied "So we are free to enjoy ourselves, in any way that we choose." she leaned into him, her voice low and intimate in his ear "For now, conversation seems quite pleasant, perhaps one of the things that we can discuss is how we could enjoy ourselves later. I don't think that you've seen me dance, which is a pity."
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

Remy would admit to himself that being laughed at? That made him forget about the little gift he’d sent her. It earned a scowl from the Cajun, who was unused to getting this sort of reaction when they heard about his profession. He could let it bother him, or he could let it flow away like water off a duck’s back. Remy chose the latter. “Non,” he drawled slowly, “Et es no’ all.” After all, the Guild was so much more than heists. “But et es at de core o’ t’ings. We are de masters o’ our craft, which es more dan jus’ straight stealing.” He snorted softly, but accepted the kiss she offered, letting it ease the sting of her words, “We move people, as yo’ saw, an’ deal wit’ other trivial t’ings.” Like forging documents and destroying evidence without causing a ruckus. “Oui, et would be sad, but dat es no’ why I won’ steal from yo’.” His eyes watched her, and he offered her a smile, “Et would be dishonorable, t’steal from someone I know, someone who should be able t’trust me.”

No plans? Well, they’d have to make some then, wouldn’t they? Jaya seemed content with the idea of spending the evening with him, and seeing that was precisely what he had been hoping for, it appeared things had lined up quite nicely. “Conversation es good. Dancing es also good… Maybe yo’ let Remy take yo’ fo’ dinner later, oui?”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I don't doubt that you are very, very good at what you do, Remy." Jaya replied, realizing that he'd misunderstood the reason for her laughter "Or that the other members of your Guild are equally skilled. I've no doubt that you're equally good at the other side businesses that your Guild has a interest in. I laughed because you were worried that I might think less of you, knowing what business that your Guild is involved in." she kissed him again "The Orion Syndicate has raised coupling to an art form, along with the other things we excel at, but that doesn't stop others from scorning us as whores and slavers. As though there is something wrong with accepting payment or gifts from someone you couple with. So yes, I understand. That is a good thing, I think." certainly it made Remy all the more appealing to her, knowing that they had been raised in similar ways. That he might, possibly, understand her a little, unlike most Terrans.

"What sort of dancing did you have in mind?" Jaya asked. There were clubs all over the Hub where people gathered to dance, and those could be enjoyable, and if he had something more intimate in mind, well, she hadn't performed for him, not properly anyway. Either one would be something she'd enjoy. "You could do that." Jaya replied "Or we could eat here." a little hesitantly she said "Kaalth made plenty for everyone, if you'd like to eat with me in the family quarters." not sure why she was letting him in close, but it seemed like a good idea.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

Her reassurance was met with small, knowing smile. “I am a master, Jaya. Oui, I am very good.” He was better at some things than others, and while still a master at his craft, there were aspects that others were even more masterful at. “Dere are many who would be offended by my profession, chere, et es necessary t’be...cautious...about et. An’ even dose who might no’ be offended might start t’watch dere purse o’ wallet more closely when Remy es around, non?” He honestly didn’t care if being a thief made him less in her eyes; it would be sad, to think she thought less of him, sure, but that would be her problem, and the only real consequence of that sort of mindset to him would be losing an interesting and enjoyable companion for evenings like this one. “People do no’ like t’be friends wit’ a t’ief usually.” he smiled as she kissed him again, returning the affection in full. “Non. Everybody pays fo’ et en some way, oui? Jus’ no’ usually en pre negotiated terms.” Remy had been up front with Jaya that he wouldn’t discuss rates or pay her straightforwardly for sex, no, but he also had no intention of the gift he’d sent her being the only such gift.

Everyone paid for what they had in one way or another. Whores were just honest about it.

Remy shrugged, “Chere, spending time wit’ yo’ es what I want t’do. Dere are places we could go t’dance t’gether if yo’ want… Or we could put on music an’ jus’ dance here.” It was mostly the same to him, just a shorter distance to bring her ‘home’ afterward.

The invitation to dine with her in her home, however, earned a much brighter smile from Remy. That spoke, that invitation, and the coyness in her delivery of it… Remy shifted to hold her closer for a moment, leaning to press a gentle but still warm kiss to her lips, “I would like dat very much, chere. Dis es a much better night den I t’ought I would have, t’anks t’yo’.”
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I'm certain that you are a master." Jaya replied, smiling a little "I know how good you are with your hands. I can understand the caution" especially with the way that Terrans reacted to certain aspects of how the Orion Syndicate operated "but you don't need to worry. I don't look down on your, and I'm not worried that you'd steal from me." when he mentioned how 'everyone paid' she laughed delightedly, and favored him with a little kiss "That is very, very true. Doubly true for my people. Among Orions, giving gifts is how a man shows interest, and accepting the gift, and going to bed with him, is how the woman shows that the interest is returned." giving him that little bit of information so that he'd understand what his gift had meant to her, and how appealing she'd found it.

Jaya smiled, "Why don't we just stay here, then. There are plenty of places where we can be private here, and have room to dance. Especially if we are going to stay here to eat." glad that he'd accepted her invitation, and seemed to be aware of how much it meant to her to offer the invitation, and for him to accept it.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

60 Posts
2 Threads
Nyte

“O’ course I am a master. I am a LeBeau.” More or less, at least in name, and he had adopted his family into his heart; they were his and he was thoroughly, certainly, theirs. “An’ chere, yo’ have only jus’ begun t’see how good I am wit’ my hands. I was an accomplished pick pocket at eight.” That was how he’d gained the attention of Jean-luc LeBeau, after all… By picking the Patriarch of the Thieve’s Guild’s pocket. He’d been brazen then; age and skill had only increased that attribute. “Eh, people either look down on yo’ or dey cease t’trust yo’. I’d prefer the first t’the second wit’ yo’.”

Giving gifts shows interest. Accurate, Remy showed his agreement by nodding his head, and then giving her a small, amused smile. She had, after all, accepted the poem he’d sent her, even hung it in her room. And he had the feeling that they would eventually go to bed together again.

Interesting.

Remy enjoyed going out, and being social, but staying in was just as nice for him. Out, they could party and laugh and blend into the crowds. He could show off for her by picking pockets and dancing with her. Staying in, however, would allow them to have a nice, quiet conversation, share a private meal, and they could still dance. “Den we stay in tonight. Es no’ like we canno’ dance, an’ et es quieter if we wan’ t’talk.” Offering someone food was… A thing. For Remy, it was a way to show someone that he had plenty, that he was able to take care of himself, and of them. He could cook, and he could cook well, and he had the resources to make outrageously over the top meals, as well as the will to do so. Still, he never left food to waste, and leftovers went neatly into his fridge and were always eaten. He never wasted food. It was a matter of trust and respect for him to accept the offer of a meal. He’d just have to take her out to a nice supper, or better, cook something for her, another time.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Its a good thing, to excel in the family business." Jaya replied, meaning it, after all, that was what she sought to do "One day, you'll have to show me how good you are." Jaya said, smiling "It doesn't have to be one or the other, sweetness. It can also be respect, from one person who understands what it is to have skills that are often looked on as being, well, less than respectable. I trust you not to steal from me, and, as I said, my father and uncle are fences, when its needed."

"Staying in sounds lovely." Jaya said "Would you like to have supper first, or after?" she was hungry, but not so hungry that she couldn't wait. She didn't know that Remy was a good cook, but she understood the importance of sharing food. And the man preparing it? That was just right and proper.