DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 845
Chris looked at Steve for a few long moments, as though he were trying to decide if he were being teased or not, “Try being ten years old and someone who has a tendency to babble about random topics that range from mechanics and gears to comic books and tell me that there are far worse things.” Christian blinked, then shrugged, “As an adult it’s not as bad, except that people just don’t tend to listen to you at all, and instead start rolling their eyes when they don’t think you’ll notice. Even the ones that like you, Steve, even they have to work to not sigh and pretend to be interested in whatever you’re carrying on about this time.”

It wasn’t that Chris actually that he was a bad friend, but that he wasn’t entirely sure how to be a friend at all. That was something you knew by making friends, by having friends, and all Christian had ever actually had was Belle, and then Safi. He had plenty of friendly acquaintances, sure, but he didn’t trust them, not the way he did Belle or Safi. They weren’t people he called when he couldn’t sleep, they weren’t who he felt he could turn to when he honestly, truly just needed a hug or confided his secrets in.

Shifting, Chris shook his head slowly at Steve’s question. No, he’s pretty sure that if he tried to approach Safi about this whole...mess…Safi would shut him down. He might even pull away, Chris couldn’t be sure. “I was with Jaya, at the Green Goddess, when Safi came. She…” the ability to speak was lost as his throat closed off for a moment, leaving him shuddering, just for that moment before he gathered his wits and forced himself to take a deep breath and continue, “She told him, Steve. I hadn’t really ever told anyone, and she just… She didn’t even give me the chance to stop her, to ask her not to tell…” The sigh was quiet, but lengthy and filled with everything he was feeling. “When he found me afterward… He just pretended nothing had happened, that he didn’t know.” Eyes closed for a moment, Christian just let that admission sit in the air between them for a long moment before he murmured, “Grief is the price we pay for love. I’ll be fine. He accepts, he just… Can’t acknowledge it. And he does not, and maybe can not, return it. I just need to accept him as he is, too.”
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 135
It was sad to see Christian look at him like he didn't believe Steve, like he thought Steve was making fun of him. To be honest Steve would have loved a babbling friend as a child. He always needed talkative people to draw him out of his shell.

Christian begins to explain what happened in more detail. Steve frowns. He doesn't know who this Jaya person is, but she sounds rude. Christian is becoming visibly upset just talking about her. Steve gives him a light touch on the arm to remind him that he is not alone. Steve wants to hug him, but has a feeling that it wouldn't be appropriate or appreciated, so he works at keeping his hands (mostly) to himself.

“Grief is the price we pay for love."

Steve thinks about that statement. He has a feeling he will be thinking about it for a long time. Grief has become a familiar emotion in recent months. The loss of everything he's ever loved has lead to overwhelming feelings of grief and a hesitancy to want to love. After all, who wants to put their heart back on the line after so much grief. Even now Steve still isn't sure if love is worth the inevitable pain. Although that seems far too cynical to tell Christian so Steve keeps it to himself.

Instead he says, "give it time then. Nothing lasts forever, even grief." He really hopes he's right about that.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

Christian was the sort of person to have nearly inane conversations about food, about food decoration… He held very specific and sure opinions on cake icings, as Safi had quickly learned upon meaning the smaller man, and he had ideas and opinions on a very broad range of subjects, some of which had to do with his profession, and others that were just simply things he was knowledgeable about enough to form opinions. He tended to carry on, and he knew it, and even when he was being on the quiet side, he thought his babble, internalizing it rather than letting it out.

What Jaya had done had been a betrayal, but she hadn’t meant to hurt him and Christian knew it. It was hard to hold a grudge when he considered it that way, even if he also found it difficult to shake the hurt she’d caused. He’d get over it, he just needed some time to work through it, to heal. There was a part of him that was screaming that he needed to remember that trusting people hurt, that he shouldn’t. But he wanted to have friends; he had gotten a taste of what it felt like, of how nice life could be with people he cared about, really cared about, with people he trusted, and he wanted more of that. On the other hand, though, it hurts when you get betrayed, even on accident.

Give it time. It’s not about being unwilling to take the time to grieve and heal, Christian just wants to know how long. He knows how long it takes for his ribs to heal from bruised or broken, he knows how long cuts will take to heal. But this? This isn’t something he has a good idea about, and it hurts far worse than the physical pains. Unlike Steve, Christian doesn’t hesitate, he shifts, throwing his arms around Steve, seeking comfort, “How long, Steve? Because this? I just want it to go away.”
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

They share a moment of silence. Steve really hopes he helped because even to his ears that sounded like corny and useless advice.

Then before he realizes what's happening Christian's arms are around him, hugging him tightly. Steve's arms hover for a moment in uncertainty, before finding a place on Christian's back.

"How long, Steve? Because this? I just want it to go away.”

"I don't know. Nobody knows" Steve says honestly.

His hand runs soothing circles into Christian's back. His other hand finds a place on the back of Christian's neck.

"You can't just refuse to sleep until it goes away though," Steve says gently, "running yourself into the ground won't help heal a broken heart."
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

The advice Steve gave was.... Really, honestly, it was nothing new. He’d gotten more or less the same advice he'd always gotten growing up in the group home. 'Be patient,' and, 'Wait until you're older,' and, ‘If you don't let it get to you, they'll get bored and leave you alone on time.’ It was always to wait. But while Steve's advice might be to give it time, to wait, instead of being what Chris wanted to hear, it still showed that Steve had cared enough to try, to give it, and that meant quite a lot to Christian. So Chris hugged the larger man, and he hugged him fiercely.

Nobody knows. Really not what he wanted to hear. At all. Chris didn’t move; his breathing grew rough and uneven for a few moments while he fought not to sob, but once Steve began to comfort and soothe him. Chris quieted, and he leaned more heavily against the larger man

A broken heart? Was that what this really was? Yeah... Maybe. It felt like it was something deep in his chest that was...broken. "How? Every time I try to sleep…" He fought back another sob, "It's horrible, Steve. I... I just can't."
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

The hug stretches on. Christian continues to lean on him heavily and Steve isn't sure what to do, so he continues sooth him and hopes it's actually doing some good. After a few rough breaths, Christian actually seems to settle down in his arms. Steve smiles softly at the top of his head. Now that he's over his initial shock, the hug is actually pretty nice.

"How? Every time I try to sleep…" Christian sounds like he's on the verge of sobbing, "It's horrible, Steve. I... I just can't."

Steve squeezes a little tighter. He's very familiar with that type of pain and fear. How many nights has he spent down in the gym trying to punch his demons away on the punching bag? But at least he had the serum. He could go days without sleep before he started to show signs of it. Christian can not. Nor should he have to. And right now he is counting on Steve to give him some sage advice or secret trick to make the pain stop...

Steve pulls back so he can look at Christian and flashes him his best smile; the one he reserves for small children and little old ladies.

"Well, Lucky for you Captain America is here then." He says, gently steering Christian out of the kitchen and into the living room. He grabs a blanket off the back of the chair on the way. He sits Christian on the couch and sits next to him, putting an arm around Christian's shoulders and throwing the blanket over them both.

"Get some sleep. I was planning on staying up anyway, I'll keep the nightmares away." Steve promises.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

Physical affection is the greatest form of affection, and of comfort. It is the one thing that Christian craves most, even more than learning more about his magic. It’s one of those things; he didn’t have really any growing up, and so when given the chance to get something like a hug, he just soaks it in, as much as he can get. Just now, Chris is exhausted, and not considering how long a hug should be before it might be considered inappropriate or overly attached; instead, he takes what Steve is willing to give, deeply grateful for it.

As desperate as he might be to get past the nightmares (it’s being alone in them that’s the worst) to be able to sleep (okay, maybe it’s the ones where he has to see the people he cares about most being hurt and...more... that are the worst) he knows that it’s unlike that there’s any advice that would actually do him any good in his situation. He’s read the comic books, he knows how Steve coped. He knows how Tony coped. Neither are really valid options for Christian. He doesn’t like violence, even against a punching bag, and he isn’t interested in drinking more than he does already. His heroes are good men, and he had taken a lot from them growing up, but he had also learned a lot about what not to do, too.

Steve smiles at him and Christian forces himself to return the expression; he aims for reassuring and strong, but he knows it falls far short, it’s too tight and his eyes are too watery to pull it off. And Steve is too observant not to see just how wrong the tug of his lips is, how much of a lie it is, but he tries anyway.

Captain America. Chris blinked at he words, his smile slipping into a far more honest frown, “As great as that sounds, I think I’d prefer my friend Steve instead…” His voice is soft with how tired he is, but he’s audible, “If that’s okay.” He doesn’t put up any fight about where Steve steers him, dropping onto the couch and looking up at Steve.

It was almost a surprise when steve joined him on the couch, and Christian’s next response was immediate, almost instinctive; he curled up, resting against Steve, his eyes sliding shut as a deep, relieved sigh escapes him, “You don’t have to. Stay up. I’ll be okay.” But even as he murmured out the words, he was snuggled into Steve’s side, all but melting into the other man. When Steve said he’d keep the nightmares away, Christian believed him. Steve wasn’t a liar.
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Christian tries to smile at him. He fails, his expression looking more pained than happy, but at least he's still trying. Steve appreciates that.

"I think I’d prefer my friend Steve instead…” Christian murmurs.

Steve makes a tiny surprise noise. It's been a long time since anyone has preferred the company of Steve Rogers over Captain America. He missed that feeling of belonging. He feels his resolve to protect Christian from nightmares strengthen. He can't let him down.

As soon as they sit down Christian snuggles into Steve's side. His warm weight is a comforting presence. Christian makes vague protests about Steve not needing to stay. Steve ignores them wrapping his arm around Christians shoulder. Steve runs his hand up and down Christian's arm in a slow soothing motion. Feeling Christian practically melt into his side, Steve settles in for what he hopes is a quiet night.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

It isn’t exactly easy to try to smile and fail, but it’s better to try and fail for Steve than to not even try at all. Some people make you want to at least try. Belle, Safi, Steve, these are friends Christian would try for. He’s not incapable of smiling when he doesn’t feel like it; it’s routine, but most people aren’t his friends. There’s less at stake for them, which makes things easier.

Telling Steve he’d rather have the man, not the icon, stay with him? That’s just the truth; Steve is Captain America, but there are differences between the two, and Christian would, in the event of needing company tonight, prefer to have the guy who’d become his friend (not just a childhood pretend friend from a comic book, but an actual, flesh and blood friend) than the hero. Heroes are great, but friends are even better. And being friends, Chris doesn’t say anything about that little sound; he’s made plenty of those sorts of noises, and he knows that sometimes, you don’t really need or want attention drawn to them.

Trusting people isn’t really one of Christian’s strengths. He tends to smile a lot, and share plenty, but talking and babbling at someone, telling them things that you didn’t mind everyone knowing, that wasn’t the same thing as trusting someone. Trust was… Much more complicated, and a whole lot more difficult. Trust was telling someone something you didn’t want other people to know, trust was falling asleep against someone and letting them watch over you, trust was having faith that no matter what, that person would be there. What surprised Chris tonight was that he trusted Steve like that. He knew that if he fell asleep here and now, Steve would watch over him, that nothing bad would happen.

It was easy to fall asleep, knowing that. And while Steve might not be able to make Christian sleep entirely peacefully, there was a level of comfort in the smaller man. Fitful sleep was going to happen. Nightmares weren’t going to just go away. But there was a knowledge that Steve was there, and each time he stirred, that was going to be a fact he could rely on.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 251
Tony had always kept odd hours. Really, what did it matter if it was noon or 3pm or 3am if you had a great idea and a well-stocked lab, and Tony always had an abundance of both. He’d been in the lab touching up the armor and giving the targeting system a slight upgrade, which had led to some work on the repulsors, and the past...twelve?...fourteen?... hours had flown by.

His stomach growled as he made his way toward the kitchen. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d eaten, since as (as people like Rhodey liked to remind him), coffee didn’t technically count as food.

He was surprised to find the lights on, and the room filled with the sweet aroma of pancakes. There wasn’t anyone around that he could see, though.

It wa probably Wanda, he decided. Spontaneous late night pancakes seemed like her style.

He picked up the coffee pot out of habit (it might not be food, but he had a few more ideas for boot repulsors and could reasonably put in a few more hours of work with a little help from his best friend caffeine) and turned to fill it. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of the couch in the conjoined room.

The coffee pot dropped out of his fingers and smashed to the floor, shattering glass across the tile.

Steve and Christian were curled up on the couch together under a blanket, Steve’s arm warmly wrapped around the smaller man. They both looked utterly content.

Tony’s first instinct was to turn and flee, but he was surrounded by the sharp remains of his coffee pot so instead he just stood and stared.
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

or the moment Steve is enjoying the rare moment of peace. Christian is breathing the slow steady breaths of someone deep in sleep and his body is comfortably warm pressed against his side. Steve let's his eyes drift shut. He's not sleeping, just listening the sound of utter silence.

Things stay like that for a while. Then Steve hears the sounds of shuffling in the kitchen. He stays still. He hopes whoever it is will complete their business quietly and be on their way. Steve doesn't want Christian waking up.

Then suddenly there's the sound of glass shattering. Old reflexes are hard to suppress at the best of times, much more so when one is half asleep. Steve springs to his feet and spins around ready for an attack before remembering that Christian had been using him as a pillow.

Steve looks around and relaxes when he sees nobody but Mr. Stark there. The man stares at them; his expression unreadable in the dark light.

"Oh, um, hello Mr. Stark" Steve says, "are you alright?" He gestures to the broken glass glittering on the floor.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

Christian just hadn’t been sleeping much lately. Sure, it had gotten worse since the first, but it wasn’t just from that one event, either. The last few months had been a slow buildup of stress and trauma. In the last six months, Christian’s entire life had changed dramatically, from meeting Safi to learning about magic to finding Hub to the incident in the Green Goddess, and there had been precious few ways of relieving that stress. The one outlet he’d had was one he had pulled away from.

He was working on forgiving Jaya for saying what she said, for betraying his trust, but he wasn’t sure he could so easily restore that relationship to what it had been before. Trust was difficult for Chris, but he trusted Steve, and so he drifted off quickly and quietly into the deep, dream-filled sleep of a man who hadn’t had nearly enough.

As deeply as Christian had been sleeping, curled up safe and sound with Steve, the sound of shattering glass had him in motion even before his eyes opened, a yelp sounding from him all at once as he all but fell off the couch, “Please don’t be a demon, please don’t…” Demons were bad. Waking up to one in your home was worse. Being a pacifist that wasn’t really good at fighting off the nasties from hell was even worse than that. And Christian had woken up to a demon in his home before, and knew how well that would turn out for him from experience.

And he had no magicians that he could easily call up to help him here.

It wasn’t a demon, thank goodness. He sent a quick and quiet prayer of gratitude to his patron saint and blinked at Tony. That he hadn’t been sleeping well still showed, both in how slowly he moved as well as just how tired he still looked, even though he’d only just been soundly asleep. “What happened?” He saw the remains of the coffee pot, and frowned at them as though they’d done something wrong, moving toward the kitchen to fetch a broom and dustpan to sweep up the broken glass. “I’ll get that for you, Tony. Don’t move, stepping on glass is just nasty…”
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony winced as Steve and Chris both sprung up at the sound of shattering glass. Steve had defaulted to a protective fighting position (protecting Chris, Tony’s mind supplied), while Chris had nearly fallen off the couch in terror. So much for getting out of their way unseen.

“I’m fine,” Tony said shortly in response to Steve’s question. He gestured vaguely at the glass. “Dropped it. My mistake. Chris—you don’t have to clean it up. That’s why I have staff. And robots.”

His mouth was running without him. The rest of his brain was still catching up to the fact that Steve and Chris...Steve and Chris.

It wasn’t like Cap hadn’t had girlfriends before. He’d had plenty, and Tony had dutifully buried his jealousy because, well, it was Steve’s life and Tony had had no claim on it. It wasn’t like Tony was a monk himself.

This was different. This was Steve with a man, a man they both knew, who claimed to know everything about Tony and had to know how he’d felt about Steve. (He entertained the idea it was payback for him sleeping with Safi, but Chris didn’t seem the type.) This was—none of his business.

Steve had made it more than plain that he wasn’t the Steve Tony had known. And Tony had something with Safi now, which was just great. All he had to do was ignore the feeling like he’d been sucker punched and he’d be just fine.

God, he wanted a drink.

“Uh, so. I’ll be going, now,” he said. “Don’t let me interrupt.” He gestured vaguely in their direction and started to turn away.
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve is used to being woken up suddenly and needing to be combat ready within seconds. That trait has saved his life more times than he can count. That does not make it any less embarrassing to jump over something as simple as a broken glass.

The yelp from Christian as he almost tumbles off the couch only makes him feel guilty as well as embarrassed, and he feels his cheeks heat up in response.

"I'm fine" Tony says shortly. He's looking at them like he can't quite believe what he's seeing. Steve feels like he's missing something, but his over tired brain can't process it.

“Uh, so. I’ll be going, now,” he said. “Don’t let me interrupt.”

"Do you want some pancakes?" Steve asks. He's not sure why he suggests it, but his tired brain insists that it's a good idea and his stomach rumbles in agreement.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

It wasn’t as though Christian couldn’t be brave. Tony had known him for a little while now, had seen him that first night he and Safi had arrived in Hub, and had to face down demons while looking for his sister with Safi and Tony. He’d been terrified then, too, but it hadn’t stopped him, not from running, but it also hadn’t stopped him from using his shield spell to protect Tony instead of himself. After all, bravery wasn’t about not being scared, it was about how you handled that fear.

Giving a dismissive huff of a sigh, Chris shrugged, “Have to, no. But I’d rather clean it up and be sure you don’t rip up your feet, Tony.” Christian’s face was soft and open from sleep, but he was fully dressed, wearing pajama pants and a loose tee shirt, barefoot, but he moved through the kitchen, past the mess around Tony to pick up a towel and some paper towels, with confidence. Not ignorance, his gaze dragged against the ground, picking out where the glass pieces were, but with the confidence of someone who knew how to see those little pieces and not step on them. His concern for Tony was clear, but not overwhelming, he’d clean up the mess, and then Tony could move.

Frowning, Chris looked at Tony. Why did he seem so uncomfortable? Steve’s suggestion had Christian’s head turning, blinking, and then he turned back and smiled to Tony, “Lemon pancakes? I made a whole bunch.” His smile faltered a little bit as he considered that, “I’m sorry… I couldn’t sleep.” If he’d made this amount of food back home, it would have taken so long to be eaten, but here, with Steve? Chris had figured the food would go to good use rather than wind up as pigeon food.

“Don’t go,” the words were a request, a quiet, simple request. “I can… I can make fresh pancakes and coffee.”
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve offered him pancakes. It was such an odd reaction to being caught sleeping (well, literally sleeping) with another man, that for a moment Tony's beleaguered mind couldn't process it, Extremis be damned.

Did he want pancakes? Not especially, considering that his insides had turned to lead sometime in the last thirty seconds. A more pressing question was whether Steve actually wanted him to stay. Probably not. It was probably the kind of thing a person blurted when they wanted to change the subject, and Steve had to be kicking himself for having said it because why on earth would he want Tony to actually stick around?

"I'm not hungry," Tony said flatly, then forced a media smile because he had no right to take his hurt out on Steve. Steve didn't owe him anything.

Chris's overly-helpful demeanor wasn't helping any. He scurried around Tony, picking up the remains of the coffeepot despite Tony's continued protests. Obviously, he knew exactly what he'd done and felt bad-- because if he knew everything about Tony from his comic books then surely he knew what Steve had always meant to him.

And he was also telling Tony to stay. Between the two of them, it was becoming increasingly difficult to refuse without coming off as childishly possessive. Chris and Steve were grown men, and what they did on their own time was none of his business. The fact that Tony had been sleeping with Safi for weeks, when he knew Chris had been pining for much longer, didn't exactly help to justify his reaction. Chris had been decent about that. Tony had to do the same, show that he could be the bigger man and that all he wanted was for Steve to be happy.

There was also the fact that Chris was, by all accounts, better for Steve. Some other-universe version Tony that didn't come with any of the mess--the alcoholism, the one-sided history, the grief over a man who shared Steve's face and name.

His smile feeling brittle enough it might crack, Tony gestured at the now-clean floor and amended, "But... I'll take that coffee. Thanks."
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Tony gives Steve a flat look before giving him the fakest smile Steve has ever seen in his life. Was Mr. Stark angry that they had messed up his kitchen or maybe he was upset about them eating all his food. The man was a literal billionaire, so it's not like he couldn't spare a few extra eggs and such...but then again it was Mr. Stark's food and he has the right to be as stingy or as generous with his foods as he wants. He already is being very kind by letting Steve stay in the mansion. Maybe Steve should try harder not to eat so much food.

Steve let's Christian talk to Mr. Stark. They seem to get along better anyway. Steve goes into the kitchen to begin cleaning up and making it look a bit more tolerable. Then Tony says he does want coffee and Steve fiddles with the coffee maker, still unsure how to make the thing work properly. It's not working and he really doesn't want to tell Mr. Stark that he can't even figure out something as simple as coffee. Maybe Mr. Stark would like a nice glass of orange instead.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

Christian didn’t feel any guilt for the cuddle session with Steve. Christian was...tactile. He loved physical affection, and Steve was a great person, a good friend, and he had ever so kindly offered to stay near Chris and help keep the nightmares at bay, and really, right now, someone being willing to do that, someone who wasn’t even Safi, to feel like maybe he could be normal, have a friend like that, it wasn’t something he could just pass up. There had been no ulterior motives behind accepting Steve’s offer to sit on the couch together, to let Chris nap before work like that. He’d been tired, exhausted, sleep was too inviting to decline. Not to mention being held by Steve Rogers was one hell of a thing.

Still, Tony was a friend too, if not quite the same sort of friend as Steve, and Christian hated seeing the look that was on his face right now. Like he was upset about something, and Chris figured it could be anything from how Chris had just helped himself to the food in the kitchen, Tony’s food in Tony’s kitchen, to being pissed he’d dropped the coffee to something wrong with the suit or with Extremis or… The list was impossibly long.

Chris gave Tony an apologetic smile, his voice quiet, “I didn’t really mean to just come in and...make myself at home… I didn’t. But if I started cooking in the apartment, it would wake up Safi and I -” Chris blinked and stuttered to a stop, because he didn’t actually want to admit out loud that he hadn’t wanted to see him then, but he shrugged, “I didn’t want to wake him. And I figured you two would want breakfast in the morning, right? So I’d make enough for you and then maybe I could go back to… Um, well, make it back in time to get ready for work.”

He turned and pulled out a plate of pancakes that he’d made before, moving to put them in the microwave; Tony said he didn’t want any, but Steve’s stomach rumbled, and that meant he had to be hungry. He smiled at Steve and pointed silently at the buttons to push for the coffee, not being terribly overt about it, but not really being all that subtle either. Steve wanted to make the coffee, he wasn’t stupid, he just needed a nudge. Tony would do it, but this was for Tony, so it would just be weird for him to help. Then, knowing Steve’s super soldier ears would pick it up without Tony actually hearing, he told Steve how comic-book Tony liked his coffee, hoping against hope that this was one detail the damn books had gotten right.

“So pancakes in the microwave; there’s plenty, but even if you don’t want them, Steve seemed hungry. And coffee is brewing… So I’m gonna go...back...and start my day.” The words were directed to Tony, and then he turned to Steve, “Thank you, Steve. I.. That helped a lot.” Chris shifted, less than comfortable addressing the way he’d been before Steve had come into the kitchen, “I really appreciate it.”
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve wasn't saying anything. That alone had Tony's hackles up. Steve, he had learned long ago, was a little awkward but polite enough he rarely let silences stand with people he didn't know well. Silence usually meant he was stewing about something. It wasn't hard to imagine what it could be. Tony had interrupted... something... and now he was sticking around.

Tony watched as Steve moved into the kitchen, swept up a few remaining pieces of glass, then started poking at the coffeemaker. He kept fiddling with it for far longer than he needed to, and Tony had to conclude that he was using it as a reason to avoid looking at Tony at all. Tony couldn't blame him for any of it. They hardly left things on great terms when Steve had been leaving the mansion, and then there was the whole business where Steve found out how Tony felt about his older self, and now... this.

It was fine. Tony was fine. Steve didn't owe him a damn thing.

Chris was apologizing for cooking, which Tony just found baffling. It occurred to Tony that maybe the man had taken his glowering the wrong way, and forced his awkward smile into something a little more genuine-looking. Like he was the face of the Avengers or Stark Enterprises or whatever, with cameras on. He'd done it a million times. He knew how to fake a decent smile.

"The kitchen's yours," he said, somewhat distractedly, as Chris moved closer to Steve and pointed at the coffeemaker, then whispered something inaudible. Tony decided he didn't want to know and let his mouth run to distract himself. "You know, for as long as you're here. What's the point in being a billionaire if you can't keep a full fridge for guests? It's not like I could eat it all myself. Or, you know, like I'd want to."

Except now Chris was making his own hasty exit. As little as Tony wanted Chris and Steve to be, well, anywhere near each other doing any of the things they were possibly doing, he knew that wasn't fair. His feelings didn't matter. They never had. Even if Steve was... "helping" Chris. So he cleared his throat and said, "Uh, you don't have to leave. I'll--" he gestured vaguely at the door. "You know. Take the coffee. Always more work to be done. In my lab."
Marvel-616 Universe

128 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve follows Christian's instructions, adding far too much sugar and milk than he really thought was healthy or necessary. Then pours himself a cup of coffee. He's not getting any more sleep anyway, he might as well start his day. He hands the coffee to Mr. Stark with a small smile.

Christian has popped a plate of pancakes in the microwave and Steve eagerly watches them turn slowly. He's only known Mr. Stark a few months, but it's long enough to know that the man isn't really a pancake kind of guy, preferring just a cup of coffee as his typical breakfast. Still it seems rude eat in front of him, so he offers again.

"Are you sure you don't want a stack? Christian made plenty," Steve says, "and they're delicious."

As Christian gets ready to go Steve looks him over protectively. He looks a lot better than he did when Steve first found him, but he still looks like he could use a few more hours of rest and a good meal. Steve is determined that Christian get at least one real meal and good night's sleep in this week.

"If you need to, come over again tonight." Steve says sincerely, "I'll even cook if you want."