Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkAfter After Hours
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 435
Safi didn't seem at all reassured by Tony's explanation, which sent a sinking feeling of disappointment though him. He really did like to do nice things for his friends, and he always had. What was the point of being filthy rich if you couldn't? If it was going to be an issue with Safi... well, there wasn't much Tony could do about it.

"What do you want to know?" he said aloud. "I wear a lot of hats in my world. The suit helps me do that."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,528
This was the strange dance they fell into; if he asked questions Safi felt often that he was digging into things the other man didn’t really want to talk about with any level of honesty.

On the other hand when he avoided them…

“Never mind.” Safi relaxed putting it from his mind, right now it didn’t matter and if Tony wanted to tell stories he would. “So-“ he grinned deliberately forcing a mood change. “What’s your sign.” He wiggled his eyebrows comically.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony didn't smile in return. He'd meant to be candid, maybe not about every detail, but at least to put his mind at ease about what Tony did and why. There was simply a lot to tell.

"Astrology is ridiculous," he said, and grabbed Safi's hand, giving it a squeeze. "I meant it. What do you want to know? I've been Iron Man for nearly 15 years. The suit's been through more iterations than I can count." Well, that wasn't true exactly, but close enough. "My world is a mess. In large part because of me Before I took this...vacation" (before he'd up and run away from his problems) "I was splitting my time between three jobs and none of them were going very well." He took a deep breath. "So. What do you want to know?"
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“That is such a taurus thing to say.” Safi smirked as he said it, he had no idea about anything regarding that, but he’d heard a classmate use that phrase in such a ridiculous over blown accent he couldn’t help but copy.

Safi sobered up though as it became clear that Tony wanted to share; “I want to know anything you want to tell me. I work for Lex Luthor, which if I understand the parallels between our words is more or less wearing as many hats as you do. And I can’t imagine that everything that goes wrong in my world is his fault so it can’t be yours either.”
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Yeah, yeah," Tony said at the Taurus line, then looked away. "How much do you know about the Super Human Registration Act? That's not the first time everything's gone wrong, but it's the latest. And it's why I'm Director of SHIELD as well as CEO of Stark Industries and Iron Man-- not officially the leader of the Avengers, but, well, there's not much that's not under my control." He stopped himself from bringing up the fact that it was why Steve was dead, because really, he had to stop doing that. "I don't know about your Lex Luthor, but that many hats comes with a lot of responsibility. So when I say it's all my fault, I'm not exaggerating."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Luthor is The Secretary general of the UN, the CEO of Lexcrop which is-“ he pulled out his phone “Currently worth 2.2 trillion and employes just over a million people world wide. He also is the current face of Meta and Magic registration.” He quoted the article before setting it back down on the side table.

“His direct bodyguard? Is a android named Mercy. Or she might be a Cyborg I’ve honestly never asked-“ and neither would you after seing her use her arm canon- “-but he is the man that every government, or anyone goes to for technology.” Safi tapped on the stylized Lexcorp logo on his phone.

“He doesn’t lead any hero squad at least publicly. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he funded and supported the Justice League.”

Safi sat back looking at Tony. “There’s no one else you can pass the buck to?” It was softly spoken, no accusation in his tone. Because right now that’s what it sounded like.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Okay, so, clearly this Lex guy had more going on. Tony felt an odd flush of embarrassment. Who was he to complain about his problems when so many other people had it so much worse? He didn't hold a political office anymore (thank God), and he was hardly giving enough credit to Carol or Maria or anyone else.

"Pass the buck?" he echoed, confused. It wasn't that he wasn't familiar with the concept, so much as a combination of knowing that he was responsible for cleaning up the problems he'd created and having very little trust in anyone else to get everything right. "No. Not really." There was also the fact that working nonstop, and the weight of his responsibilities, had been more or less the only thing keeping him from either drinking again or eating a repulsor. "But I don't mean to complain. I knew what I was getting into."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Tony…” safi shook his head reading the sudden flush of shame, “I explained not to compare that he has more or less responsibility but just that I have some small idea of what it’s like to at least work for a man like you.”

“Why not? Why is it all on you?” Safi rubbed his thumb over Tony’s wrist.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"And what is it like?" Tony asked more sharply than he'd meant to. He'd been a good employer once, he knew, with SI (or SE or Stark Solutions or whatever it was at the time) consistently ranked as one of the best places to work. But these days, stretched so thin and trying to keep everything under control, he'd gotten the impression that lately that wasn't the case. Maria and Dugan and most of SHIELD hated him. Carol was sick of his interference with the Mighty Avengers, and he wasn't about to win any prize boss awards at SI. Of course, he wouldn't be surprised if this Lex guy was managing his multiple roles with more aplomb. It was no secret to anyone that Tony was out of his depth.

He relaxed a little at Safi's touch, leaning in to brush another kiss against his jaw. "It's on me because it can't be on anyone else," Tony said. "Not that I'm exactly off dealing with my problems at the moment," he added with a hint of bitterness. "You can thank Wanda for that."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“In general it’s good.” Safi wasn’t sure how to respond to the anger, he didn’t know enough about Tony’s exact world or how he acted there.

“What does she have to do with that?” He’d seen the woman lurking for want of a better word around him and Chris. Watching them.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Yeah, of course it is," Tony said. Big surprise, that this Lex guy whoever he was could handle it all better than Tony could. Maria Hill could've told anyone the same.

"Wanda. She... she thought staying here could do me some good. Taking a break from it all." While he processed Steve's death, and explored whatever was happening with Safi, who he'd admitted he was starting to feel something for, as fucked up as he knew it made him. None of which he especially wanted to share with Safi now or ever. "She can control time. She said she could essentially let me back in where I left off. And so here I am."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

The bitterness wasn’t missed and Safi wondered exactly what was going on in the other man’s mind that spawned just...self loathing. He knew some of the story, his addiction, the role he felt he played in his lookalikes death… but there’s was more there. He’d seen this before, often enough in young recruits with something to prove.

They rarely got a chance to grew older.

Speaking slowly Safi nodded, “And why is that bad?” Because his tone had made it clear he blamed Wanda for...giving him a vacation?
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony pulled away, slightly, trying to ground himself before he answered without the comforting warmth of Safi's skin to distract him. He knew--boy, did he know--that Safi was only in this for a casual fling. He hadn't signed up to deal with any of Tony's issues.

"It's bad," Tony said slowly, "because, historically, when I've found ways to escape my responsibilities, it hasn't ended well for anyone."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

What Safi had signed up for was casual. That was true. But Tony seemed to forget that the first night they spent together included an interlude where Tony confessed to his darkest moment. “Like falling off the wagon bad?” He didn’t force Tony to stay in skin contact, he didn’t really know the other man well enough to push it like he might have with another lover.

“Tony….maybe just maybe take this as the blessing it can be?” Safi took a breath. “Everything you’ve told me makes it sound like your response to fucking up is to dive back in and work three times as hard to clean up your mess. Maybe just maybe now that you have time it might be smarter to figure out why you are fucking up? Prevent the mess before it starts.” Yeah this wasn’t his usual bedroom talk. Hopefully he wouldn’t get kicked to the curb for it.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony flinched. He hadn't forgotten that he'd admitted so much to Safi before, and a part of him was glad the other man had understood what he meant without him having to spell it out, again. On the other hand, it was one thing to open yourself up in a moment of intimacy, but quite another to expect to come back and lean on that person again and again. Safi hadn't signed up for that.

"Yes. Falling of the wagon bad," Tony said. Safi did deserve an explanation at least. "Selfish escapism at its finest. There are people, now, who need me. Problems I have to solve. And I... don't ever want to go back."

He let out a short laugh at Safi's suggestion. "I don't need time to figure out why I fucked up," he said.
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Talk them out?” Safi leaned back facing Tony, the sheet pooling around his waist, unselfconscious and at ease with his body. “But tell me. What happens if it’s not you that solves these problems?” He didn’t want tony to think he thought he was replaceable more wondering if there WAS an option besides him.

“There’s no one you miss back home?”

The defeatist attitude drew a worried frown “Why.?”
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony couldn't help but stare as Safi spread out, a large part of him wanting to kick himself for ruining what should have been an extremely enjoyable afternoon. He let his fingers trace along Safi's thigh, which was still well within reach, and reminded himself not to be an idiot about this.

He shook his head. "None worth talking through." That was the problem, really. A big challenge always excited him. Juggling SHIELD and SI and the Mighty Avengers instead filled his days with one meaningless minor crisis after the next, an endless grind of work that showed no signs of letting up. "There are others, but they have other jobs and other agendas and... if applying the SHRA went the way SHIELD wanted it would be a nightmare, and if the heroes had their way we could be looking at another war, and I'm the only one who can keep both sides equally unhappy." He spoke frankly, not looking for sympathy but rather explaining the situation as he saw it.

As for the rest... "I've got a few friends." Rhodey. Carol. He still couldn't look Pepper in the eye after what he'd done to Happy, but he's miss her too. But the truth was, he'd barely seen any of them since he'd taken the Director job, and it was hard to imagine that any of them would miss him much.

"I made the right decisions," Tony said slowly. "At each step of the way. Knowing what I did, when I did--it was all necessary." He looked away, his hand stilling on Safi's knee. "It wasn't enough. It never is."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“There is no one you can trust or train to pick up the small decisions so you can focus on the large?” It was a skill and a particular personality that could release responsibility to someone else.

“But you think they will no miss you.” He guessed shrewdly. “If they were here what would they say to that? Honestly?” Because everyone had fights with their best friends...and sometimes the bonds where badly broken.

“If you have this much regret, if you say to me again and again ‘I fucked it all up’...” safi spread his hands eloquently, “every man who makes hard choices has regret, every man who has had to pick which bad outcome is the ‘best’-“ his fingers danced out around the word. “Knows nightmares and sleepless nights, so tell me Tony.” Safi straightened his back, “What did you fuck up?”
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"No. There isn't," Tony said, irritation creeping into his tone. He'd heard it before. But even as other responsibilities had piled on, one thing hadn't changed. You couldn't expect something to be done right unless you did it yourself, and that went doubly when the fate of the superhero community rested on your shoulders.

He gave Safi a sharp look as he asked the next question, regretting very suddenly that they were having this conversation at all. He thought about lying, but Safi sounded so sincere it stuck in his throat. "It doesn't matter," he said instead, because that was the truth at least. "I have to go back. As much as I... I'm still needed. Whether any of them would miss me or not."

He couldn't help but stare at the graceful shifting of muscles as Safi sat up. Then he gave a short laugh. "Everything," he said. "Up to and including this, I think." He gave Safi a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry."
DC-TV-1

374 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Judging how and what to say to Tony was a balancing act, using mental muscles Safi hadn’t needed to exercise in...well months, maybe years. Which meant he was rusty...but he also wasn’t trying to treat Tony as a asset he needed to develop.

Tony was...well he was a fuck buddy, and for Safi at least that included his time and emotional effort.

It was fairly clear that Tony didn’t want to, wasn’t ready to talk logically, to view his problems objectively. That made things...harder when he feel into these funks.

“Oh?” Safi smiled threading his fingers with his, “If say more ‘well fucked’.” He grinned at his own dirty clever word play.