A Discussion Between Those With Power
Star Wars-Movies

11 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Sith Lord/Politician/Emperor
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Waffles

The Wandering Moon Inn was a bit of an odd choice for someone like him to hang around in. A man of his reputation and power normally wouldn't be caught dead in a place as silly as this, due to how seriously he viewed himself. Sadly, desperate times called for desperate measures, and so he figured he would lay low for the moment, gain his bearings and slowly work his way back into power since access to his home dimension was lost for the moment. The former Emperor may have been knocked down, but he would gain far more power in the long-run, it was just a matter of time.

As music, merriment, and business deals were conducted all around him, the Emperor instead sat quietly in a darkened corner of the pub, quietly sipping at the alcoholic beverage he bought for himself in exchange for a blaster pistol he had on hand. He was only thankful that this place allowed payment to be made with possessions, and not just with money. Credits were an electronic currency, and he couldn't exactly exchange them physically. A minor setback to be sure, but he would make due. The former Emperor could feel from the people around him that his presence made them uneasy, what with him being in a darkened corner of the bar, clad in a black robe with the shadow of his hood obscuring his face.

"Need anything else, mister?" a bubbly voice asked the Sith Lord with a nervous giggle, the voice belonging to a busty blonde elf maiden as she rubbed her arm in a timid manner. Sheev Palpatine turned to look at her, and made a show of making sure he appeared to be harmless. Using Sith Magic to change the appearance of his face so that it looked normal, complete with natural blue eyes and a slightly tan complexion, and pulled his hood back a bit so she could see the kind smile on his face.

"No thank you, my dear. I have most of what I need for the moment, please come back in a little bit and I'll probably need something. I appreciate your thoughtfulness by checking up on a lonely old man like me, it does my weary old heart good" he said to her in a kind voice, adopting the tone of a kind, simple elderly man who just wanted what was best for all. He was using his 'kindly Senator' persona he used for so many decades to pass himself off as normal, all the while making sure to shroud his presence in a way that no one would be able to sense his true nature.

The elf woman giggled and curtsied to him, before moving away. As soon as she went away, the former Emperor pulled his hood back up, and sneered at her in his mind now that his face was obscured once more. *Filthy lesser creature, at least a lowly wench like her has a job befitting of her station* he thought to himself as he took another sip of the alcohol, all the while making sure that the Force would eliminate the mental effects his booze would normally give him for consuming it.
Harry Potter-Main Universe

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 310
Sitting back in an overlarge chair close to the fireplace, Oryn lazily waved his wand over the glass of firewhiskey sitting next to him, his incantation filling the glass up again to where it had been when he had been served. To the staff, he appeared to be absorbed in a book he had, which to be fair he was, but not so absorbed that he wasn’t drinking. He never drank to excess, and had good purification charms for when he did, but today, he simply didn’t feel like being bothered by the staff. Something which, apparently, other people weren’t managing to avoid.

He frowned at an odd pressing in his mind, and his reading ceased. Oryn had been schooled relentlessly on guarding his thoughts, guarding his mind, resisting any influence on them, and this… it didn’t have the feel of a mind charm, he’d give it that much. Not one from his world, at the very least, which admittedly didn’t mean it wasn’t a mind charm from another world. All the same, was he going to allow this? Of course not. Closing his eyes, Oryn focused, closing the doors to the various areas of his mind that he would want to keep free of influence. After each one, he checked, finding that the pressure was still there, until finally, he sealed away his senses. After that, the pressure on his mind that he’d been trained to feel finally gone, he peered around the room, spotting the difference immediately.

The man had, moments before, appeared vital, healthy, even attractive. Now, he had the marks of someone who had let go of his physical self. His face was waxy, aged, pale, but his eyes. Had Oryn ever seen anyone with eyes that cunning? No… no, he didn’t believe he had, which did, indeed, put him on his guard. Why go through all that trouble just for a barmaid? Still, the only way to make sure of a thing was to confront it head on, wasn’t it?

A moment later, the wizard was sitting down across the table from the old man, Arcana Obscura still open in case any over-eager barstaff decided to bother him. He didn’t say anything for a moment, just studied the other man over steepled fingers. “That was impressive,” he admitted. “A very elegant manipulation, one I nearly didn’t detect.” Of course, he had detected it… which was a point Oryn didn’t belabor. The other man was intelligent enough to get the point. A quick wave of his wand put a sound-baffling spell around them, keeping any passing patrons or staff from overhearing them.
Star Wars-Movies

11 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Sith Lord/Politician/Emperor
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Waffles

He could tell that someone had become aware of him using an illusion, and that put him on his guard. He carefully tilted his hooded head back and watched the crowd for anyone that would be staring in his direction. All he needed was some slight inclination of someone looking in his direction, and he would instantly know who the person was. Perhaps it had been foolish of him to break the illusion, but it wasn't wise to hold up illusions for so long, lest it wound up leading to exhaustion on his side. That was when his eyes caught someone in their field of vision.

He was a fairly decent looking man, the man walking over to him with emotions such as curiosity and caution all directed at him. Making sure that his hood covered his face, he smiled in thinly-veiled amusement to showcase that he was eager for this little conversation to begin, especially considering that the Force was telling him the man had some kind of power that wasn't the Force. He was always thankful of the Force sending him a warning when it came to possible threats on his life. When the man sat down at his table, he felt a disturbance in the Force when the man waved his hand, and somehow he knew that they wouldn't be disturbed.

"I'm impressed you could feel the change at all, my dear boy. Usually no one is capable of feeling changes from, or seeing through, any illusion I cast, even those who have the same power I do. The Force works in mysterious ways, I guess" he said to Oryn in a sage-like tone of voice, his voice low and raspy to further enhance as to just how aged he seemed to be. Oryn would be able to see through the shadows of his hood that the Emperor was smiling a tad bit from what he just said.

"Ah, but where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself, I am Emperor Palpatine, well former Emperor, anyway. May I have the honor of knowing your name?" he asked Oryn, performing a slight bow as he maintained a level of politeness with the younger man because he was careful to avoid alienating him. All the while, he made sure to use the Force to cloak his thoughts, feelings, and general presence in the Force in such a way that Oryn wouldn't be capable of detecting just what kind of person he really was.
Harry Potter-Main Universe

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 310
In truth, not many wizards Oryn knew would be able to detect the illusion… but then, that wasn’t exactly the right word for it, as far as Oryn was concerned. This hadn’t been an optical effect that this man had created, it had been an effect on the mind. If it had been a visual effect, there was a better chance that Oryn wouldn’t have known something was going on, but he wasn’t going to mention that. “Some of us have had to train ourselves extensively,” Oryn simply said, and that was really the truth, as far as it went. He’d trained his mind to prevent it from being charmed or altered without his knowledge, and he had, in his time, broken through several mind charms. It wasn’t a pleasant experience in most cases, but still a useful skill to have. This hadn’t been a mind charm, though… what did he call it? The Force? Interesting. He’d have to pay attention to this one…

Oryn gave the man a bit more of a deeper bow than he had received. The man claimed to be (or have been) an Emperor. Likely, his current humble demeanor was not something that he was accustomed to, even if he was tolerating it right now. An Emperor was used to respect, to being feared, and he wasn’t going to start this by furthering the lack of respect that the man must be feeling of late. “Empires come and go, but power rarely truly fades,” Oryn remarked. “My name is Oryn Vance. I’m afraid that there is not title to go with it yet, such things have fallen out of use on my world. For now, at least.” Would he be adverse to being ‘Lord Vance’? Well… actually, no. No, he wouldn’t.