DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 845
Chris heard Tony's words, the look he gave Tony was one of.. Not disbelief, but of denial. Just for a moment. "You're supposed to be smart." The smaller man took a single step toward... his "new" friend, who was, in a way, an old friend, “So stop being stupid."

Everyone had a breaking point, and chris was swiftly approaching his. The month had started out badly, and hadn't improved. He'd come here to make peace with Tony in the hopes that a friendship between them would ease the tension he worried they all noticed.

And now this.

"Okay. I get that the comics got a lot wrong. But how could they get everything about you wrong, and everything about Steve right and nothing can make any sense like that!" He pointed a finger at Tony, “You have Extremis. I have a pretty decent idea when that happens,” he frowned, "Cause I’m not stupid either. You say Steve died," he closed his eyes." How, Tony?" Chris knew how. It was evident by where he kept his hands, so carefully away from where the hero had been shot…

"I'm so tired of what I have to say being summarily dismissed, like I'm just an idiot P. A. no one should bother listening to. I say 'Tony stark, you're a good man.' and you shake your head at me. Why? Would you listen if Steve said it? I don't think so. But you know what? I read the comics. And some of those? They were from your point of view. Even if they got a whole lot wrong. Tony... They had to get some things right." Christian's eyes were warm and soft, sad, but it wasn’t, as Tony had thought, pity. Chris sympathized, he empathized with Tony, but he didn’t pity him. It was hard to pity someone for doing what they thought was the right thing. Instead, you had to respect the sacrifices they made, their losses.

Heartache. Chris nodded, sighing at the question, “Are you Director of SHIELD, Tony? Is that where and when you’re from?”

Getting off on the right foot. Yeah. Tony hadn’t done anything wrong, and Christian knew it. “Thank you, Tony.” His smile grew less formal, more genuine.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 251
Tony raised his eyebrows. People called him many things, but stupid was very rarely one of them. But he winced as Chris pointed out the differences in his and Steve's stories. Clearly, Chris WASN'T stupid, and it might have been a miscalculation to expect that he could brush off the other man's curiosity about him so easily.

"He was shot," Tony answered in a bitter, staccato tone. "You must know the story. We fought each other. My side won. He was shot on the courthouse steps where we were parading him for the media. You really think I'm a good man? How do you explain that? What my point of view?"Chris's anger had bled into sympathy again and it made something angry flare up in Tony's chest, his hope that he could deflect all of this going up in flames with it. He snapped, "Yes. I'm the Director. What does that matter?"

At least he didn't have to worry about what happened with Safi. It wasn't that he needed permission, per se, but he understood the sting of unrequited love all too well. If Chris had truly wanted Tony to step aside, he would have.
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

Well maybe more people should point out when the genius was playing
the idiot! No. Chris was far from stupid. He was agreeable and submissive, and he held his place around people fairly well. After all, Gabriella and Camilla Espinoza had no idea how much Christian despised either of them. Tony had seen Christian's ire because the small man hadn't hidden it.

Shot. By Sharon Carter, then. Not her fault. Chris opened his eyes to glare at Tony. How recent' did it have to be to have him like this? To make him act like a… "Shut up." Rolling his eyes, Chris shook his head, “We? I’m sorry, were you there? They must have messed that part up.“ Tony's anger fed Chris’, and for the first time since they’d really met, he didn’t feel bad about it. Friends were allowed to be angry or annoyed with each other, because they were friends. "Yes. I still think you are a good man. I think you did something you hated in order to accomplish what you thought was necessary. I think you are, always, happy to sacrifice whatever part of yourself you think you need to in order to save someone else. I think you wish you could trade places with him!” Christian pointed a finger at Tony’s chest, “I think you have absolutely shit for self worth, and everyone around you can tell you what you do or don’t deserve, but you won’t listen to them, Tony. You won’t listen because you think you’re smarter than they are, that you know better, and that’s why you’re an idiot, because even I know to listen when someone says something like that!”

He looked just about ready to pull his hair out, “It matters because I want to make sure we’re on the same page, Tony! Literally, even!” Because he wasn’t interested in screwing up (again!) and telling someone something they weren’t supposed to know.

Like what would happen a year after Sharon Carter had shot Steve Rogers. No matter how much he wanted to tell Tony, no matter how much he hoped it would help…

Chris didn’t want to think about Safi. He didn’t want to consider what happened between Tony and Safi. Thinking about it made him wince, and look to the ground. He had no right to interfere, no claim on Safi. Friends. They were only friends.
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“Yes, WE,” Tony ground out. As if he hadn’t been over this, all the potentialities and lines of fault, a thousand times already. “I was in charge. I signed off on the decision to transport him like we did. The security. The timing. Was any of that NECESSARY? I wasn’t there. I stayed back because no one wants to see the guy who won the war gloating over the other guy’s surrender. It was a political move. If i’d been there I could have stopped it!”

Tony paused, breathing heavily, and had to force himself to retain his facade of calm. “Of course I want to trade places with him,” he said in even voice. Then he blinked at the finger pointing at him, not understanding Chris’s fervor. “I do know better.”

He forced a twisted smile at the reminder that he was Director and the page comment. “Well. It’s going swimmingly so far. They love me.”
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

“Oh for fuck’s sakes!” It was a rare sight, to see Christian so very close to having what might appear to be a ‘fit’. The man was normally calm and quiet, polite to a fault. Here and now, speaking to a man he felt like he had known forever, someone he was emotionally invested in, who he cared about more than he liked to admit, he looked to be at his wit’s end. “Are you saying that you knew what would happen? Did you set him up, Tony? Did you plan for Steve Rogers to be murdered on the way to his own trial??” No, of course Tony hadn’t. He’d been devastated! “Were you cackling at the betrayal? You, the man who looked up to Captain America maybe more than anyone?” His tone was try, “IF you’d been there, maybe you would have, but Tony, you didn’t know! You COULDN’T have known!”

Which was his entire point. “If you’d known, you wouldn’t have let Sharon Carter anywhere near him! You would have hunted Faustus down! IF, Tony, but that’s not how it was!”

”I do know better.”

Christian stopped in his tracks, glaring at the man, “No, Tony,” his voice was gentler now as he shook his head, looking at Tony with frustration, but under that was still the same sort of care that he’d had since the beginning, if you looked hard enough, “No, you don’t. Sometimes, maybe, you know better than some people, sure, we all have those moments, but no one has those moments all of the time.” Christian gesticulated wildly, “THAT’s your problem, you know. You always think YOU know better, you refuse to listen to anyone else. Especially when it’s about you. Well, Tony, you know what? I know pretty damn well, too. I know that Iron Man will save a dog in order to make sure the little boy that dog belongs to doesn’t have to mourn him. I know that Tony Stark cares about people, a whole lot. I know that you’ve been through hell and still fight on to make sure that other people don’t have to go through it. And yeah, Tony, I know you’re not perfect. You mess up, yes. Sometimes really bad. But you didn’t betray your closest friend. You did not set him up to be shot in the back.”

Christian shivered with emotion, with empathy and with the strength of how he felt himself. Chris shook his head, looking at Tony and then moved swiftly into the other man’s space. They were friends, and this… This was something that Chris did for his friends. He hugged Tony, “You weren’t right, Tony, but you weren’t all wrong, either. I wouldn’t have wanted you to trade places with him, as much as it hurt to see what happened. You tried to talk to him. I know you tried to talk to him. He didn’t listen Tony. Your choices were limited, your hand was forced. You did the best you could with no good options.” He frowned, “I was proud of you in the end. I just… I really wish you hadn’t worked with Hank Pym. I really don’t like him.”
Marvel-616

171 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Chris actually seemed to be upset, and Tony couldn't help but feel a curl of satisfaction at that. It served him right for trying to lecture Tony on his own life. On things he'd read in a comic book, when Tony had lived every agonizing second of them.

"Of course I didn't know what would happen," Tony snarled. Somehow, this was the point everyone kept bringing up. As if, because he hadn't been able to predict the exact manner of Steve's death, he wasn't at fault for it. "But what I did know? That Cap would be vulnerable to attack if we forced him into public like that, that he had enemies, that there would be a crowd on the courthouse steps... I'm supposed to be the futurist. I'm supposed to put the pieces together. I could have known. I SHOULD have known. I put him in harm's way and now he's dead, and my intentions don't mean a damn thing."

He took another deep breath, frustrated with himself for letting so much emotion show through. He'd made it through months at SHIELD, the hardest earliest months, without breaking down where anyone could see him. (Well, except at the funeral. And when Death had shown him all the lives Steve would never lead. But those were different situations entirely.) He wasn't about to let Christian be the one to shatter his facade of having any of this under control.

"What, then?" he went on in a tight voice. "You think you know better than me, about my own life? It doesn't matter how many people Iron Man has saved or that I didn't want him dead. It doesn't matter!"

The hug took Tony entirely by surprised and he stiffened, just barely resisting the urge to push the other man bodily away. He couldn't remember the last time someone had held him like that, and for all Chris apparently meant well Tony couldn't let himself relax into the hug or return it. He didn't deserve the comfort, and he didn't want it from Chris.

"It doesn't matter," he said again, as Chris finally pulled away. Tony took an almost involuntary step back. "You think I don't know that my hand was forced? That at every step of the way I made the best decision I could with what I had? Of course I did. I had to win so that nothing worse happened, and I did what I had to do. What happened to Steve--that came after. It wasn't a necessary evil, like all the rest. It was... a mistake." He blinked, caught off guard. "Hank? What's wrong with Hank?"
DC-DCTVU-1

289 Posts
14 Threads
Nyte

As a young boy, Tony Stark had been more ‘real’ to Christian than most flesh and blood people. In his comic books, he’d been a man who had overcome adversity, grown and proven himself, who had succeeded in the face of looming failure time and again. An orphan, like Christian, who had made more of himself than most people. Granted, Tony had been an orphan who had grown up surrounded by wealth and affluence, but in the end, that hadn’t been his path to becoming a hero. Tony Stark was a hero because when the chips were down and all bets were off, he would stand up and fight. Because you knew that’s what would happen. Because in the end, saving a dog was not a job too small, even if it meant outing himself as Iron Man.

“If you had actually thought that Steve would die that day, would you have let it happen?” It was a simple question, “Would you have still walked him like you did?” Steve had looked horrible, at least in the books. Chris had hurt just reading it, and he hadn’t been there. He hadn’t fought beside Steve, hadn’t lived beside him. God knew what Tony felt, having had those honors. “Tony, what you did? Sure, you gave the haters what they wanted, but you also allowed people to see him, and he was theirs. Yes, you let him be vulnerable, but I cannot fathom that you thought that he would die there like that.” He sighed quietly, “What you’re doing right now? Tony, that’s not logic. That’s guilt. That I know, you have never actually thought that you were perfect, and now, about this? Not the right time to start thinking you should or have to be.”

Christian understood the rub of raw emotions. He understood because he felt it. He was still dealing with how he felt about Safi, and the fact that those feelings were undeniably not returned. Heartbroken was not an inaccurate descriptor for how Chris felt. Still, when Tony spoke, Christian bristled, not in anger, but frustration. “I think I am more objective than you are right now!”

It didn’t matter how many people Iron Man has saved. “Fuck you.” The words were spoken quietly, coming out almost as though Christian was reeling, because he was. He took half a step back, blinking back tears, “Iron Man saved me, Tony. Like it or not, you’re a hero. More than that, you’re my hero, so just… Don’t. Don’t you dare stomp on what you’ve done as Iron Man. Don’t. You. Dare.” Christian took in a deep, unsteady breath, “I was a little kid. Not just in age, but size. I’m not large, I know that. I was the smallest of us growing up in the group home, and that made me the punching bag. I was worthless. No family, no parents, no siblings. Until I had Belle, there was no one who cared about me. And then she was the only one. For a long time, she was the only friend I had in the world, except for you, and then eventually Steve. And yes, I considered you my friends, because if I hadn’t, I probably would have gone insane. I cried when you got hurt, and I talked to you all the time, told you about my day, and which kids beat me up, and when I discovered my own abilities, it was you I whispered them to. I was a just a kid, not even ten, and the only friends I could claim was the girl who was basically my sister and a hero from a comic book, and I was glad to have that much. You kept me sane, and you gave me hope, and you made me work hard to be something more than worthless. And damn it, Tony, that means something, to me, even if you don’t care. So I don’t care how many people Iron Man has saved or what your intentions were, because I’m going to keep caring about you anyway, because you saved ME and that matters to ME!”

It took only a couple of seconds to realize that his comfort, the hug, was unwelcome. Christian paid attention to detail, it was one of the things that made him a very good PA, and it meant that he was aware when Tony neither returned the hug nor relaxed into it, so he pulled away more quickly than he would have otherwise. He tipped his head down, looking at the floor, a silent apology for the invasion of his space. Most people didn’t revel in touch the way that Christian did, and he knew that. It was possible that Tony was one of those people. It was also possible that while Tony had said they could be friends, they really weren’t. Maybe Chris had to earn that. He could try, not that he thought he was likely doing a very good job of that… “We all make mistakes, Tony, even you. Even Steve.” He sighed, “I just don’t like him.” Chris looked away, “There are some things that people do that just don’t sit right with me, no matter the reason. I’m not saying he’s a horrible person, I don’t really know him, but I don’t like him. Maybe it’s unfair of me, but I can’t help it.”