Emberverse-Main

53 Posts
11 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 578
The journey from the Wandering Moon to the rock by Lost Lake where the portal was located was only fifteen minutes of easy walking, a far cry from the long hike that it had been when she had arrived in the Hub. This didn’t surprise Luthien terribly-the land around Lost Lake hadn’t worked according to ordinary rules of geography for centuries, and the Sword that she carried was the reason for that.

When they got to the rock, which had until recently, had held the Sword, and Luthein said “Please, stand in a circle, and touch the pommel of the Sword.” She pulled it from the scabbard, and so that it would be easier for them to do so. As always, there was something odd, and unearthly about the way that the Sword of the Lady caught the light, as though it was there, and yet not. As though it was pure elemental power that was, for the moment, in the shape of a sword.

When they were all in position, the Sword began to glow, and there was a sudden flash of light and Luthien was-

standing, alone, in absolute darkness. Then stars were there dancing around her a universe full of light and life and beauty

And

Then

She was standing in a wood, like the one near her home, near Stath Ingolf, but it was different, as well. Trees she didn’t know were standing tall and others were missing, or saplings stood in their place. But it was the woods near her home, it could be nowhere else.

Before she could wonder too much, she blinked and one of the great redwoods shimmered and shifted, and took on the semblance of a woman. She was tall, and well muscled, and wore the tree and stars of a Ranger on her armor. Her hair was lighter than Luthien’s-a blonde so pale it was almost white. One eye was covered by a black leather patch, but the other was the same blue as Luthien’s own.

The Ranger smiled at Luthien and said, in Elvish “A star shines on our meeting, my daughter.”

“Who are you?” Luthien asked, not quite trusting the answer that was in front of her.

“I am The Lady.” was the reply, still in the Noble Tongue “Or one of her faces. Or so I became, when my Journey was over, and I joined with the Light. This face was the one I wore in your world, when I helped my brother on his Quest. I see that the Sword is smaller than it was when We gave it to him. Smaller and yet heavier, I think, than it was when my brother carried it. For it is a heavy task you have been given, child.”

Just then, the tree beside the Ranger shimmered, and became a woman, this one old and wizened with age. The woman’s skin was dark, so dark that it could truly be called black, and her hair was white, a cap of short curls cropped close to her head. She was clad in a loose dress, but somehow Luthien knew from her gaze and her bearing that this was a woman who had lived long, and seen much and was an authority to be respected. Then the rock beside the tree stood, and became a maiden, a girl of perhaps nineteen, dressed in nothing but a skirt made of thick strings, her honey colored hair falling loose to cover her breasts. She stood, graceful as a deer, and offered her arm to the elder woman, then the two of them took their places next to the Ranger.

The solemnity of the moment was broken when the old woman said, in a tone more than a little annoyed “A hard task that won’t get any easier with you talking in circles and babbling in that moon-speak, Mary.”

“I thought that it was elegant, and poetic, Marian.” the maiden put in.

“You would, Swindapa. You’re half an elf yourself, sometimes. What we mean to say is that its time for the Sword to leave your time and place, but its still needed in your world.”

“Its time for the snake to swallow its tail.” Swindapa broke in “For one world to die, and two more to be born.”

“Its a hard task.” Mary said, “But needs must.”

“What we mean” the crone said, giving her companions a quelling look “Is that you need to take the Sword to Nantucket.”

“Is that all?” Luthien asked. She’d been expecting something more difficult.

“It will be hard enough, child.” Mary said, “But you will do it, if you are strong.”

“As you will and must be.” the maiden said.

“Now, go back to your friends, and do your job, girl.”

There was another light, and Luthein found herself back among the stars, but as she left she heard a drift of voices-
‘Why were you so hard on the girl, Marian?’. “Its this body. Being old makes me grouchy. I swear, next time, you be the Crone.” “But if I”m the Crone, you don’t get to see me in a string skirt and nothing else.” “Not if Mary is the Crone.” “Hey-I’m staying out of this….”

Then the stars were gone, and she was standing by the rock on the shores of Lost Lake. The light was brighter than she remembered, but that could be the time of day. The smells were different and improbably, she heard the hubbubb of voices in the distance. Human voices, as impossible as then….

A bright red disk flew through the air, and hit her on the forehead.

(For this plot, we’re not sticking with the normal rules on post order. If 24 hours have passed since the last post, feel free to post, even if it isn’t “your turn”. Also, everyone in the Fellowship will be assumed to be present, even if you won’t post in a thread, so you don’t need to worry about your character being left behind because you get busy for a week. If action occurs, your character will be narrated doing something awesome, if desired.

This thread will be up for one week, then it will be closed out, and a new narration post will go up, and a new thread started. Later threads may be left up for longer, to allow for more posting, depending on what is going on in the thread. My goal here is to strike a balance between letting people to have plenty of time to play and keeping the action moving.)
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

122 Posts
12 Threads
Job: Bard
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 401
“Somebody’s been busy…” Arjay peered about in the darkness, seeking the source of the lovely voice, but aside from a vague light that avoided his eyes, always appearing behind him, never where he expected it to be, there was nothing. “And now you’re walking farther away from me. It’s growing so hard to see you, harder to watch you.”

The playfully jealous voice rang in his mind like the chorus of a song that you hoped would never end. Oh, he knew that voice, though he’d never heard it before. He knew the feeling in it, that feeling that was echoed from the sword on his hip at nearly everything he did. “If you’re going to miss me, some might say that you could incarnate and give me a kiss goodbye,” he mused, his hand resting on the heart-shaped moonstone of his sword’s pommel. The delighted laughter rang through his mind, leaving him shivering, but that golden light never came into his field of vision, much as he sought to turn to it.

Instead, a silver light appeared before him, a single shaft of moonlight illuminating the path, beckoning him forward. He stepped into it, and felt the unexpected warmth of its light washing through him as he stepped along the path it intended him. “You walk away from us,” the moonlight whispered, echoing the musical voice, and now he felt the stirrings of panic twisting his stomach.

“I have not forsaken you- any of you, I-“

”You walk away from us in body, not in spirit.” The silvery whisper cut off his alarmed protest, and the golden glow still lingering behind him seemed to draw closer, giving him some measure of comfort. ”You walk outside our influence, but not outside our sight. In the days that come, remember this, and do not forsake hope.”

“I… I won’t,” he said, not sure what else to say. “If you wish me to turn back, I shall…”

”We have never wished you to change.”
“Even when your decisions have left you destitute.”
“Even when you have felt the pain of loss.”
“Even when you have known despair.”
“You have never forsaken the future.”
“Your heart has never darkened.”

The lights suddenly stopped, and slowly faded, leaving him in darkness. “Don’t stop singing, little one…”

Arjay opened his eyes to the rush of light and sound around them, peering around them as the entry in this world left him reeling. Something… something was wrong.

He had expected a world like his own, but this world… the first thing he noticed was the smell of it. It wasn’t as pronounced as in the burroughs of Steve’s world, but he could still smell the nauseating fumes that came from the engines of those steel chariots that race down the road in the Earth-cities. It made breathing much less pleasant (as time in the Earth-world areas tended to be for him), but more alarming was the feeling of simply existing here. “Oh, goddess,” he breathed. “Where’s the magic?” Any world that could produce a sword like Luthien’s should be strong in it, but this place… oh, he could feel it, the place wasn’t dead, but it was… thin, starved, withdrawn. He doubted that the humans would understand, but to a creature that thrived on magic, it was like suddenly finding one’s self trying to breathe in thin air. I hope that this quest does not take overly long…

Then the red disk impacted Luthien’s head, and unthinking, Arjay snatched it out of the air as it ricocheted. It… wasn’t much of a weapon, lightly made of that... plastic stuff that the Earth-humans used, and as he looked around them, he realized it wasn’t a weapon at all. All around them, at various points around the lake, humans were cooking on strange metal contraptions, listening to music on their… radios? Yes, he thought that was what they’d called them, and otherwise enjoying a lovely, warm day. He could see a few motorized boats on the lake, and even managed to pick out a place where people were storing their horseless coaches – cars, he really needed to remember the right words for things, they were cars. And, nearby, he saw the young humans that had launched the attack of the red disk, a few children, one looking nervously ashamed in case Luthien was angry, and one hesitantly holding up his hands up, as if asking for it back.

Oh, and Arjay was also acutely aware that he, and therefore Luthien as well, were dressed entirely out of place for this locale.

Taking a deep breath, he threw the frisbee nimbly back to the children, who he thought were giggling about his clothes, and turned back to the group. “Somehow,” he said, giving Luthien a sidelong glance, “I don’t believe that this is how the quest was advertised.”
Shadowrun-Tabletop edition

57 Posts
4 Threads
Job: "Travel Writer" (Smuggler)
Ship Status: N/A (looking?)
Sexual Orientation: Yes.
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 173
Queth immediately regretted hooking her flesh fingers onto the sword- the resulting crash of the weapon's magic hitting the wards she had inscribed on half of her body felt a little like being thrown against a rock with more strength than anyone she knew possessed. The foreign magic didn't know what to do with the wards, and the wards read the magic as well- foreign. Still. Queth assumed that would be the worst of it.

Mercy was she wrong. Imagining the transit to be as quick as her own portal, she was entirely unprepared for her eyes to start seeing two different things. Blinking she started her coprocessor to help her mind cope- even as she heard a laugh to her left. "Look at her! Standing around trying to make the world make sense- I swear I would have just been fascinated. It's super unfair that she gets to do this-
She doesn't even appreciate it."

Trying to turn towards the voice, Queth was surprised again with a chuckle to her right. "Oh don't get her started, she'll probably tell us that 'in her day things were different.' As if we didn't know that- God when did we get so old?"

"Who are you? Show yourselves!" Queth found herself yelling despite herself, hand going to the new sword at her hip as she twisted to find them, still trying to make sense of the darkness in her right eye, compared to the weirdly beautiful forest her left eye was showing her. Her shuttered eye was opening and closing wildly, trying to make sense of the sudden loss of vision, and cycling through its settings like mad to try and find something.

The giggle came back. "Aw, she thinks she can hurt us. Darling I've been dead for 66 years when the bitch on your other side stole my life." The owner of the voice walked in front of Queth, appearing for a moment as a blur before startling to settle into familiar lines. "Aw. She doesn't even have enough soul left to see us right away. Why would you destroy your soul like that Queth? Stupid name by the way. What was wrong with Rachel?" Came the query from the face Queth recognized as having been her own once, many years ago.

The other woman also moved to be seen and started rearranging into sensible lines as well. She seemed to have some patience for the affair as she began to resemble a different version of Queth's face- the version that was all natural and unscarred but otherwise the same. "Don't tell us you didn't have a choice. Even if we're talking about doing it to live- you could've gotten them replaced by something less harsh years ago- started healing your soul then. Instead you've just continued to upgrade the cyberware you have. Why are you here Queth?"

She opened her mouth to explain that she had no clue why she was there when the smallest of them chimed in. "We don't mean this vision here. Why are you still on the living plane? And don't tell us it's because you haven't died yet. We know how many times you've flatlined."

Queth wanted to open her mouth and argue but she couldn't deny the truth of the statement. The magical forest started to fade, being replaced by a single spotlight that someone stood in. Standing there was a version of her who had only half a body- and scars everywhere. Looking at Queth serenely through one eye and one eye socket, the space between them seemed to fold away as the other version of herself lifted her hand to Queth's cheek. "It's alright to choose rest- so what keeps you from doing so?" Came the final question as the world dissolved into an ordinary setting with her companions around her.

Trying to keep from panic, she ripped her hand back and quietly cursed. Casting her eyes around for a second she cursed louder when she realized her right eye had stopped spinning. Pulling it out and disconnecting the wires from memory, she growled at the kids nearby. "What are you looking at?" Turning towards Luthien, eye in hand and empty socket covered by an eyelid she started again. Blinking at the world she added "This is not what I thought I was signing up for."
DC-DCTVU

16 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Artemis
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Raven

All Accounts Posts: 45
At the Inn Thea had immediately recognized the map Luthien showed, and yet just as she was about to point out that it was a map of her world she paused, furrowing her brow. The shape of the land was familiar, but the way it was labeled wasn’t. And this being Hub, if she understood it correctly, there could be portals to countless worlds like her own and yet not her own. For the moment she held her tongue, toasted the journey with the rest of the fellowship, and joined them for the journey to the lake.

A journey of fifteen minutes.

“We’re really here already?” she couldn’t help asking, realizing immediately that this was exactly the sort of thing that happened her. “Sorry, still getting used to how shifty this place is…” The lake was beautiful, the moment of gathering like out of a fairy tale, and yet her gut clenched as she understood touching the pommel was part of a magic ritual.

She and magic rituals didn’t have the best of histories. Even though if it wasn’t for the ritual of the pit she wouldn’t even be alive. All she needed was some new mystical compulsion based on all who had touched the sword before…

Once again she held her tongue, choosing instead to place her trust in Luthien and the intuition of her companions. “All for one and one for all,” she whispered as she touched the pommel. A roaring of wind in her mind and a sudden inky darkness and despite her training she yelped, pulling her hand back from the sword even though it was no longer there. “Luthien? Belle? Anyone?” She took a step and felt the crunch of leaves and in her head she heard Shaggy call out ”Scoobs, where are you?”

“I’m here, Thea,” a gentle voice spoke and Thea crumpled to the ground.

“Mom?”

A candle burst to light, its small flame filling the darkness, illuminating the woman holding it. Moira Queen. Thea sprang to her feet and into her mother’s arms.

“I’ve missed you so much… it’s been so hard…”

“I know sweetie, I know.” Moira’s fingers running through her hair relaxed her in a way she hadn’t known in years and for awhile Thea couldn’t speak as she cried into her mother’s shoulder. She finally pulled back and looked into Moira’s eyes, flickering with reflected candlelight.

“This isn’t real, is it? It’s some cruel magical sword trick.”

“Oh, it’s real enough Thea, though we only have moments. But don’t worry, we’ll meet again on the other side of the veil. For now I have one message for you.”

“Is it that I should give up all this bow and arrow bullshit, make some popcorn and watch reality TV?”

Moira laughed and pulled Thea close. “Well, that does sound wonderful, but no. You should keep with the bow and arrow bullshit because you love it, at least for as long as you love it. My message for you my daughter is that as much as I admire your heroism, don’t neglect yourself. Whatever you may think, you don’t owe anyone anything. Be a hero for as long as you love it, and when you’re ready to move on do so without regret.” Moira slowly shook her head, touching Thea’s cheek. “Life is too short for regrets. I know that sounds like corny advice, but it’s so true.”

Thea nodded, then froze as she noticed her mom’s form starting to dissipate. “No Mom, stay a little longer… please…”

“I’ll see you and Oliver again… “

“No!” she shouted and then had to slam her eyes shut as light flooded the world and she was suddenly in the middle of a game of… frisbee. She blinked slowly as she saw Luthien get beaned with the frisbee trying to reconcile a Middle Earth Elf in the middle of an American picnic. Which gave her an idea.

“Hey,” she said approaching one of the kids. “We’re heading back to Portland from a renaissance fair and missed our bus.” Boy had they. “Uh, do you know how far it is and if there’s a bus station nearby?” She figured the other adventurers were savvy enough to recognize she knew what she was talking about, the biggest mystery was whether this U.S. was similar enough to her own for the kids to know what she was talking about. Or for Portland to be in the same place.
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 846
“Language!”

”Ya such a punk, Steve. C’mon, ya got work ta do.”

”Hey, let off of him, would you? It’s not like either of us have gone easy on him lately.”

Steve blinked, he knew those voices, and turning, he recognized their owners immediately. Tall and strong, Bucky grinned at him even as the shorter brunette reached out to pat his arm affectionately, ”He’s not being hard on me, Tony. That’s just how Bucky shows affection.”

”Hell of a way, Steve. Hell of a way.” The shorter brunette gave Steve one of his more genuine smiles, and Steve couldn’t help but to smile. ”You realize this isn’t exactly how things should be though, right? Or maybe ‘should’ isn’t the right word, because really, in a perfect world…”

”What the genius is tryin’ ta say is that ya ain’t exactly in ya right mind, Stevie. Ya left one Stark lying in Siberia, found another crashin’ through a building, and had ta fall fer both, didn’t ya? Just had ta go and do it all the hard way…” Steve couldn’t exactly meet his friend’s eyes, knowing that it was the truth; he’d grown attached to the Hub-Tony more quickly than he would like to admit, even once he realized that he wasn’t the Tony that he’d left in Siberia the year prior.

”Hey, sometimes the hard way is the only way. And sometimes it’s even the best way. At least you’re not trying to fix this with your fists, because that doesn’t usually work out quite so well. Especially when I’m involved.”

Steve sighed, closing his eyes for a moment before looking at the pair, ”I’m not sure I’m fixing anything. I feel like I’m running away.” He hated admitting that, but Steve was pretty sure it was the truth. Pretty sure. ”I don’t even know why I’m here… Why I joined this quest, other than that I was hoping I could feel useful again. Feel like someone worth something again.”

”Perfectly valid reason to go.” Considering the source of the agreement, Steve winced, pretty sure that this was only more evidence that he was doing this for the wrong reasons.

”Nah, I’m with Stark on this one.” Steve felt his mouth drop, feeling as though it had simply come unhinged, and slowly worked to close it again. ”Really, Steve, ya always been the guy that needed a purpose, a reason. So find it. Focus on this quest, help Luthien bring her sword home or whatever she’s out ta do, and then get ya ass back to Hub and work ya shit out like ya need ta. And ya better,” Bucky poked him with a metal finger, ”Be sure ta come back alive, Punk, er I’ll have ya ass.”

Tony huffed, ”And when he’s done with you, then it’ll be my turn. So yeah, Cap, survive and come back. Because if nothing else, there’s Thanos to worry about, if not for my world, then for yours, and you’ll be needed. And you better not die then, either!”

The light was almost blinding, and Steve raised his arm to shield his eyes against it, squeezing them tightly shut before it ebbed away, leaving him standing with the others in a… Park? ”And hopefully an ATM?” Good thing he had cash. And Tony’s credit card. Unless Tony didn’t exist in this world. Hopefully the cash would be good....

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
DC- DC-TV-1

48 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 959
And suddenly Belle was rather glad she'd packed everything but the kitchen sink.

The transition that had taken so many to their innermost desires, things they needed to or wanted to hear left Belle...empty. Perhaps it was because she HAD been content in her life yet now she'd taken a step away from that little perfect life that seemed with in her grasp. James was gone-

Belle could still feel the pommel of the sword beneath her hand, James's hand on her shoulder; no she didn't need to hear him, see him, she never had, Belle had always known when he was close. Her Gentelman Ghost...missing now after trying to find her, perhaps he'd been forced back into Hell as he'd long claimed to be headed to. Belle didn't know, but the same reasons that had driven her to join remained, and James's support...even if he was gone she could still feel it in her heart, hope, love...and at this moment serene acceptance of what might or might not be filled her.

Here she had a purpose.

Someone had to be the 'normal' girl.

Belle might not have magic, weapons, armor, or any deadly skills trained under brutal hands, but she was in her own way a survivor, one that had not lost her sense of wonder and faith in the world.

Plus she was so very down to earth in a group that contained litteral cyborg elves that were-

Oh dear.

Belle blinked at the carnage poor Queth was dealing to her self, "Easy honey. Just take a breath." Belle was there hands held out disarmingly like she would a poor feral kitten clawing at its own fur. "Ah think we might have taken' a wrong turn at Albuquerque." she quipped disarmingly. Belle reached one handed into her backpack pulling out a flopy brimmed hat, it should serve as a half decent disguise for the missing eye and taddletale ears. "No need ta get into a fuss. Here have a drink." The hat was placed on Queth head, the hand holding her disconnected eye was covered by Belle's just for a quick squeeze before its mate was filled with a thermos cup. Belle had paid attention during the little introduction, what her compaions had ordered, liked, she'd known there'd be need at some point for comfort food but hadn't expected it quite so quickly.

Thea was quick on her feet, explaining away their odd appearance and low key asking where the hell they'd ended up. Smart girl.

Coffee doctored to Queth's liking was pressed into her free hand, moving it encourgingly towards her mouth. Belle half expected to get hissed at, at the very least considering the hints of an arcibic personality she'd seen; but if the girl was focusing on her she wasn't panicking or tearing out more bits of herself.

Focused on keeping their little band sane, Belle still managed to glance around, a tiny thoughtful frown crossing her lips, she'd seen the map and the she couldn't be exactly sure but she THOUGHT that it might be the Hawthorn bridge in the distance which meant...huh...

Belle glanced over at Luthien ready to deal with another break down, or to hear where they needed to head next.

But first...

"Hun?" she glanced at Arjay, "Can ya do any magic so ya'll ain't so obvious?" she tried to make sure her voice was lowered for him and perhaps Queth only to hear.

Otherwise- "If we are stayin' here long, I got a few things that might fit ya'll." Yay for overpacking!
Supernatural-N/A

67 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine

All Accounts Posts: 251
He was back in Purgatory. The transition was instantaneous, the heat and stench and otherworldliness of the place surrounding him like he's never clawed his way out. He turned and Benny and Cas were there too, looking as haggard and dirty and exhausted as they had before.

"What are you doin' here, really, friend?" Benny drawled. "You go back to your world, to your brother and your life, you don't go runnin' away again. It don't make any sense, does it."

Dean opened his mouth to protest--it wasn't like Sam had missed him, and he was here helping people too--but Cas cut him off.

"He knows exactly why he's here," Cas said. "I didn't want to leave Purgatory with him. Obviously, he doesn't mean that much to me. It's me he's running from now, not Sam."

"I suppose you might be right, hot wings," Benny said to Cas.

This wasn't real. Couldn't be. Dean rolled his eyes at them and growled, "it's time to get the hell out of here."

"That's what I been sayin'," Benny said.

"You are not that important to me," Cas said.

Then the portal was in front of him, shimmering with a fierce white light, and he stepped through.

The forest dissolved around him and he was back with the crew from the Hub. Dean shook himself slightly, pushing thoughts of the vision away, and took in the scene. A very non-magical-fantasy scene. There was a frisbee game, some campers, and a few strains of music floating across the lake. There were also a couple of guys with mullets that could've put Ash to shame, and not an iPhone or an ass-ugly mid-2000s car in sight.

Dean grinned. Not exactly what he'd been expecting, but hell, he'd take it. (Assuming it wasn't a wrong turn and they'd have to go back again.) The 90s had been, on balance, a pretty good time in his life, and not having to be without wheels would be much more convenient. He was also glad he'd opted for his usual jacket and jeans ensemble, which meant he wouldn't have to

"Time travel, huh?" He remarked, watching a man in an impressive denim ensemble put a tape into his Walkman before walking away, his head bobbing. "Well, if we're sticking around here for this quest thing we're gonna need some wheels. I'll see what I can find that's big enough for this whole band of heroes we got here."
Emberverse-Main

53 Posts
11 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

(Apologies for the lateness of this post. I’m going to just continue this thread, rather than starting a new one.)

Luthien looked around, her mind reeling from what she saw around her. None of this was of her world, none of the things she’d seen had existed since the Change. “Time for the serpent to swallow its tail.” she said, half under her breath.

Looking around at her companions, she said “I think that we have been sent back to the time before the Change. Now-the first thing is to find out when this is, since I think that this place is Lost Lake. The second thing is to find shelter, and examine our resources. I do not think that my money will be good here.”

The girl that Thea approached-who looked to be in her early teens, didn’t have a chance to answer before she was interrupted by a younger child, a girl of about seven, who had been looking at Queth, and her mechanical eye with intent curiosity looked up at her suspiciously “There isn’t a Ren Faire around here.” she replied “The only SCA event is in Corvallis. I wanted to go, because my uncle is fighting, and if he wins he’s going to be KING. Mom said we had to come here to the lake, which is totally stupid. She even made me leave Dr. Sparkle in the car, so he couldn’t get wet. Its ok though. Uncle John says that when I’m older he’ll take me to events and teach me to fight with a sword and when I grow up I can even be Queen if I want to be.”

“Rachel, shut up.” her older companion snapped “I’m sorry-” she added giving Thea and embarrassed look “I’m not her sister, just a neighbor, our families are here for a picnic-anyway, if you go to the parking lot, there is a shuttle that will take you to Mount Hood Villiage.” having answered the question, she then herded Rachel and the other kids back to their group, and away from the odd strangers.

Once Thea had reported back, Luthien said “I think that we should start walking towards this ‘parking lot’ and sit down and take stock of our supplies. And find out what year and month it is and then-” she took a breath, and continued “And then we need to get to Nantucket.”

They set off down the trail, and after a few minutes of walking Luthien found a likely spot to sit down and signaled for the group to stop. "I do not think that any of my clothing will be suitable. My weapons and maps are also out of place. Other than that, I have trail rations for three days, a small print copy of The Histories, and a fair amount of coin. My own savings, and the money that the High King gave me to pay for my Quest. It isn't money in this world, but it is gold, so perhaps people will still accept it."

122 Posts
12 Threads
Mike

He offered the very lovely redhead (what was it about redheads, anyway?) a regretful smile. “A lovely thought, but I’ve already tried. There isn’t enough magic in this world to manage the matter, at the very least not here. We’re going to have to manage with more mundane means.” The lack of magic was a sudden shock, but Arjay forced himself to put it out of his mind. Was it disconcerting? Oh yes, it most certainly was. Was it life threatening for him? No, not as such. He had, thankfully, always put more stock in what could be accomplished without magic than what could be dispelled, resisted, or otherwise wear off, so unless they were about to get into a massive battle with a dragon, this wasn’t going to present an immediate problem.

Their clothes, on the other hand, might be drawing a problem sooner than later. Casually, he stretched, reaching up and running his fingers through his hair, making sure his ears were covered. Quietly, he took stock of his things as they walked. His bag of holding, it seemed, was not connected to its pocket dimension anymore, which meant that much of his equipment was missing. His swords… well, actually, they were more of a liability than a benefit now, weren’t they? No one in this world seemed to be carrying them. Was there some law against them? Goddess, he hoped not. He could still sense the magic within them, but how that would behave in this world was unknowable. They might function for a while and then go dead, which he could not allow. His other items, he was more willing to take risks with. When they stopped in the more secluded trail, he removed the immovable rod from his pack, held it in the air in front of him, and pressed the button. The rod hung in the air, resisting his efforts to move it as normal, so it was functioning normally, at least as far as he could tell. Shrugging, he turned it off and reactivated it a little lower so that he could sit on it.

“My experience has been that gold’s value is almost multiversal. The question is how easy it will be to use it here.” He reached for his purse, opening it and peering in. “If it’s easy, then we might on easier footing than we suspect.” The gold in the purse was still there, thankfully, and if that ran out, he had some gems, but even on his world those were more difficult to move than gold. “So… usable money, less conspicuous clothes, and transportation are the immediate needs, probably in that order.” He glanced back up the trail towards the obviously non-magical society, wishing that he’d brought other money with him. Goddess knew he had money that would probably work here, he just hadn’t thought it was needed. Shaking his head, he turned it to look between Thea, Belle and Dean. “How hard should it be to take care of any of those issues with…” He upended his purse, pouring a rather heaping handful of gold coins into his hand off of the top of the purse, “This?”
Supernatural-N/A

67 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine

Dean laughed at Luthien's grave statement about finding shelter and examining their resources. Considering that the original plan had involved camping and eating trail mix for weeks, her disappointment at the current circumstances, and her trepidation at somehow finding their way to Nantucket, was kind of hilarious. Arjay's comments, while not...wrong, were just about as absurd.

He'd spent nearly his entire life crossing the country. Even on occasions he hadn't had access to the Impala--after he'd crawled out of his grave, after Purgatory had spit him up in the Maine wilderness, to name a few--he'd never exactly sweated the issue of transportation, even without money. There were always cars to steal, and gas money was only an issue if you didn't know how to hustle pool. The rest fell in place easily. You could sleep in a car if money was tight and you were in a hurry. This quest of theirs was basically, like, Tuesday for him and Sam. No, make that easier than your typical Tuesday, because for once they didn't have to worry about demons or angels or the world ending.

"So let me get this right," Dean said as they all settled down in the parking lot to discus their options. "This whole, big epic quest is...getting to Nantucket." When no one seemed to dispute that, he shrugged. "Easy. Order we need to go in is transportation, then money, then clothes. Or not, whatever, once we're on the road no one'll give a shit if you're dressed like a viking. I can handle the wheels--" he glanced around at the parking lot, spying a couple of vans that looked big enough to hold everyone, "--and once we get out of this park, the cash too. Find a place to trade in that gold, then spend a couple hours in the right bar, and we'll be good to go. You want to hit up the Salvation Army to get out of the medieval gear, that's easy enough." He paused a moment to calculate in his head, "Drive to the east coast from here is probably, like, two solid days on the road. Probably less than a thousand in gas. We drive in shifts, sleep on the road, we'll get there in a few days. Any questions?"

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth didn't even know what to start to address with the situation at hand. For one thing there was a floppy hat sitting daintily on her head- and actually pulling her hair tight enough to her scalp that the tips of her ears were peaking out. There was also a cup of coffee on her hand. Oh and Queth was staring at an eight year old version of herself.

She tossed back the coffee to try and focus- when even the scalding she received didn't do that Queth was forced to admit that she was absolutely clueless about what to do. Her jaw flapped open and close, despite no sound coming out. Looking at the others she had wide eyes- forgetting temporarily that one socket was empty. When the child walked away Queth finally managed to put volume to her thoughts.

"I can't remember the month but this is 1998. I remember this day- though in my version I never met anyone claiming to be from a ren faire." She offered quietly."My uncle brought back princess crowns for me and Dr. Sparkles." Queth murmured as she remained pale and out of sorts. Shaking her head to clear it of the confusion that lingered she addressed arjay.

"I think I know what you mean? The air feels- empty for lack of a better word." Queth paused with a grin flashing across her face. "Tell me- if I accidentally brought a storage of air from a magic world through... Could you use it to work your spells?" She queried as she brushed her fingers across the bottom of her rib cage automatically. Some of her tech may be too fancy to be supported here- but that was a simple air tank, and it had a connection on the outside of her chest- generally for refilling but she doesn't see why she couldn't let air out through it.

Queth took a mental inventory of her gear before shrugging off her leather jacket and passing it to the leader of their quest. "Your leggings should pass by as not fashionable but not incredibly strange- and the jacket will cover up anything underneath- so long as it isn't long enough to hang past of course." Which considering Queth's jacket was the right length for someone 6'6 she doubted would be a problem.

As a side thought she reached over and swiped her smokes from her jacket pocket, lighter as well, before slipping them into her jeans pocket instead. She whistled at Dean for his attention before gesturing for him to give his jacket to Arjay. That completed she padded over to the parking lot to appraise the vehicles. Queth hated to steal from those who don't deserve it- well okay no she doesn't but it still seemed like the seniors' tour group deserved better than having their ride swiped.

Still it was the vehicle that would fit them all better, so she turned to look at the group. "Any Complaints on this one?"
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

“Language!”

This was… Pretty much completely unfamiliar.

Steve had grown up on the East coast, not the West, and while he’d traveled through the country, it had been a long time ago, and…

Queth said it was 1998, and Steve blinked with a frown. ”I was still...sleeping...in 1998…” He winced, not preferring the term ‘sleeping’ but it was better than ‘I was still buried in ice in the middle of the arctic’ if not all that much easier to explain to his fellows. But he wasn’t completely worthless; Tony and Clint had taught him some things… He knew...things.

And while he was widely regarded as being fairly naive, he wasn’t stupid, and he wasn’t as blind as a lot of people thought him to be. And he knew what Dean and Queth were suggesting. “I don’t think stealing a car is going to be the best answer to our dilemma. There are other options. I have my wallet,” and while he wasn’t Tony Stark, Steve wasn’t broke, and… Well, he lived with Tony Stark. He did things, spent time, with Tony Stark. And Natasha. And Clint. And… Yeah, okay, so he had to pay for Thor to eat sometimes, because the man never considered bringing a wallet anywhere, and that wasn't a cheap meal. Ever.

At least he was wearing jeans and a shirt. He’d get by, even out of place and time. He chuckled briefly as he considered that Tony would fit right in with so many of these people in his workshop clothes. Hell, if Queth were right, most of his bands would still even be together…

But yeah, unless things got dire, he was not going to be stealing a car. ”Look, I get that we’re early-internet here, but stealing a car is going to get us into more trouble than it’s worth nonetheless. Better to rent or just… Buy something cheap.” He looked to Luthien, shaking his head slightly, ”Arjay isn’t incorrect that gold is valuable, but we’re going to need to find a place to trade for cash. I have some cash,” he didn’t have a problem offering what he had on him; it wasn’t enough to buy something nice or flashy, but they could buy something used, maybe, ”We should be able to get by. After that, he’s,” Steve motioned toward Dean, ”Is right. A few days on the road and we’ll be fine. And I don’t need all that much sleep.” Plus, he was a pretty good driver if he did say so himself.

Emberverse-Main

53 Posts
11 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Luthien took a breath, and tried to center herself. She hadn't been worried when she'd thought that the Quest would be in her world, involving living outdoors and sleeping rough at least part of the time because that was something she was used to. She'd been doing that since she was old enough walk. When she'd turned eighteen, part of the test for becoming a fully fledged Ranger had involved being taken blindfolded into unfamiliar woods with only a tunic and a knife, and given a week to reach the rally point. Compared to that, what they'd planned was a Beltane feast at Dun Juniper.
What she was facing, though, that was totally unfamiliar.

But she'd dealt with unfamiliar before.

Silently, she accepted the offered coat and clothing, and stripped out of her armor. "If this is 1998." she said, in response to Queth's comments "Then this before The Change." stating the obvious, as she tried to get her feet under her "Not long before, unless the seasons have altered since then. So that gives us time to travel, but not over-long, I think."

When Dean mentioned that it would only take a couple of days to drive to Nantucket, Luthien blinked at him in surprise. "Do those really go that fast?" she asked, jerking her head at the parking lot. She knew how long it would take to get to Nantucket in her world from their present location, and the answer was two weeks. If you took the Norheimm Express Train, which involved either a great deal of money or a willingness to take a shift in the pedal car, which allowed the train to maintain top speed when the horses were sleeping or resting. Two days? Two days beggerd belief.

"Do we have enough money to buy one of those?" Luthien asked, not sure how one went about doing that, but hoping that one of her Companions did. Before anyone could answer, Queth was in the parking lot, apparently preparing to steal one of the vehicles.

"No." Luthien said, hurrying after her "I don't want to steal. Not if we can avoid it." knowing that her squeamishness was silly. Odds were that in six months or less the van Queth was eyeing would be left derelict somewhere, waiting to be broken down for raw materials. That task had been finished long before her birth, but she'd seen the storehouses in Corvallis and Portland, and the smaller one at Stath Ingolf, where piles of leaf springs sat wrapped in oiled cloth, waiting to be made into swords. The thought hit her that all of those had once been in vehicles like this and...No, she couldn't think about that. Not now. "Can we buy one?" she asked, "With the coin we have?" looking around at her party, waiting for an answer.

(Sorry for the lateness of this. The next one is going to go up on Wednesday, I promise)

122 Posts
12 Threads
Mike

So many questions, and all for the people who were native to this world, as it should be. No, he didn’t know how fast these great metal boxes of toxic air could go, but he did believe the others when they said that they would be rather essential to their travels. Not, of course, that it was so urgent that they needed to resort to banditry, did they? He considered it a moment, then decided that Steve and Luthien were right. His understanding of this world was that they had ways of tracking things that were unknown in his world outside magic. He didn’t quite understand how, but he understood that they could. Stealing a car seemed like a risk they didn’t yet need to take (although the quest was young, he thought wryly, that moment might come sooner than he’d like). On the other hand, this was a world that none of them were native to. The purchase of a vehicle, from all his reading, seemed akin to the purchase of land in Arjay’s world and that was a tedious legal process, and were any of them in a position to take on the time necessary, let alone the documentation, to do that?

As the others talked, Arjay’s mind drifted back to their walk past the parking lot, and one thing he’d glimpsed out of the corner of his eye grabbed at his attention. Yes… that might very well do. Picking up his gold purse, he unstrapped his sword belt (one of the things he’d noticed quite early about the Earth worlds was that weapons were not available in easy supply, and their presence tended to draw undue attention. He’d draw enough of that as it was), which he handed to Steve. “Hold this for a moment,” he said, walking back out to the parking lot. As he had remembered, the vehicle sat with a sign that had a very clear intent to it: "For Sale." Next to it, there were a few men talking animatedly, one of whom (judging by their appearance) was going to be the owner. If there was anyone who was going to be lax about following the procedures of the law, Arjay judged it was going to be them.

As anyone in the group watched, Arjay approached the men, greeting them happily. Was it a beautiful day? Why yes, it was a beautiful day. Was this your vehicle? Why yes, it was, brother, did you like it? He did, in fact (what could he say, it had a look that reminded him of the druids of the forest he'd spent many of his younger years in), and wouldn't you know, he and his friends had a long trip to make, and they didn't have a ride. He hadn't owned a car, didn't like the smell they gave off. This, of course, drew some very knowing nods from the men standing by the van, who seemed to agree. A necessary evil was still evil, didn't you know? Would he like a hit of the fragrant herbs they were smoking? Why yes, he would. This, of course, led to some comments on the quality of the weed they were smoking (apparently similar to something Arjay knew of), and a bit of discussion about strains, both siting strains the other hadn't heard of before.

There was some more chat, during which Arjay dug into his bag and pulled out some small silver charm, which the other group looked at admiringly. This led to a small exchange (namely, a leather pouch), before the talk got back to the van they were standing next to. Arjay hoped they didn't mind, but he didn't believe in the use of traditional currency, and would these be good for the purchase? The men passed around a few of the coins Arjay produced, doing a few tests (biting, feeling, etcetera) before deciding that yes, they were real, and yes, they could do business. A handful of gold coins were counted out of the bag, and the men all started pulling things out of the van. Arjay watched, patiently, stopping them suddenly when a guitar was pulled out. He pointed at it, inquired something, showed them the lute he was carrying on his back, which they passed around, looking at it appreciatively. he handed over a couple more gold coins, and they put the guitar back in the van before they closed it up, handing him the keys.

His purse lighter, Arjay put everything back into his travel bag and walked back over to the group, keys in hand. "Well, I have these, now. Someone else will need to make it move, though, because I have admittedly no idea how to do that."
Supernatural-N/A

67 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine

Dean watched from across the parking lot with a bemused expression as Arjay approached a bunch of hippies, smoked a bowl with them, and came back with the keys to a truly horrendous VW bus. Not that it wasn't practical, considering how many of them there were and how few people would generally be willing to sell a good vehicle for a literal bag full of gold. Really, they'd gotten lucky. The thing was just...horrendous.

On the other hand, he supposed it could have been worse. At least if they were going to tour the country in something ass ugly, it was an interesting kind of ass ugly and not some boring plastic piece of shit.

"Oh, God, what are we, going to Woodstock?" he groaned loudly. "That thing is more 70s than the 70s, and I've been to the 70s. Also, uh, did they really throw in a guitar and a bag of weed? Cause let me tell you, that's groovy."

Then he held out his hand, wiggling his fingers in a give-me-the-keys motion. He addressed Luthien, "Yeah, they go that fast, as long as they don't fall apart on you--which is why I'm gonna give that piece of junk a once over before we go." God knew hippies weren't known for their diligent van maintenance, but Dean was relatively confident in his ability to keep just about anything moving for long enough to get where they had to go. And hell, considering how the quest had been billed, he was just glad he wasn't gonna have to ride a horse.

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth did her best to avoid wrinkling her nose in distaste at the bus- obviously her suggestion of car theft was being ignored. Honestly if they had just brought up their concerns, she happily would have stolen the bus that her family owned (though she'd make a specific effort to leave Dr. Sparkles behind- in a careful well protected location of course. She would have been heartbroken to lose Dr. Sparkles.) Hell, way Queth saw it, she sort of owned that vehicle anyways- and she trusted it a whole lot more than she trusted some random hippy van.

Sighing she walked past arjay and politely tugged the keys from his hand before sliding them into her pockets. "Hey Dean- Help me give this a once over so we don't break down somewhere yeah?" Queth glanced back at him. "You're smaller so why don't you crawl underneath and I'll check the engine." She quipped with a grin before sauntering to the back and popping the latch with the keys in her hot little hands.

The elf made a few concerted humming noises- mostly just to screw with people as she took less then a second to drive a small screwdriver from her pocket into the eye she was still holding. Content to see it pushed unstuck she re-connected it and started zooming in on connections. "Actually though Dean if you'd be so kind as to give this a second look- I'm pretty confident the engine's fine but never hurts to double check." She said- demanding action from the man once again as she dropped to the ground and wiggled slowly under. "Because while you may be smaller, I forgot that you humans can't see nearly so well in the dark." Queth remarked with a snicker as she examined the under carriage.

The smuggler/mechanic was excellent at her trade and with only half a minute down there, she had tightened a number of loose connections as well as straighten a few. Sliding slowly back out she nodded at the others with a grin despite the oil she had wiped off on her pants. "Looks like we're golden." She started to explain before turning back to the van and wincing. "Or- Er. Rainbow."

Queth was still a little queasy at the site of the thing but at least inside she wouldn't have to look at it. With a shake of her head, she open the door and stepped into the driver's seat- whacking her head comically on the frame as she entered. Cursing she threw the now falling sunhat into the back before climbing in. "Thanks anyways Belle but I ain't sacrificing any headspace to that hat." Starting the motor, she was unsurprised to hear it cough slightly before settling into a comfortable rumble.

Turning to them all she kind of gestured for them to get in- even as she finally acknowledged Luthien's question. "Two days is with us taking shifts so that the bus is always running. Definitely something we can do- but it does mean that any others who know how to drive stick should try to sleep once we're on the road- I'll take first turn and eight hours from now we can switch if there's at least two others who can drive manual. If not it'll be twelve hour shifts."

She grins at Dean, remembering their flirting from the day before. "Because I'm sure you know how to handle your stick." She said with a wink before closing the door and buckling in.
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

“Language!”

So no, the van that Arjay had purchased wasn’t the nicest looking vehicle that Steve had ever seen or rode in. It wasn’t his bike, but it as long as it ran and got them where they needed to go, then he wasn’t going to complain about the paint job or the fact that it reeked of marijuana.

His head snapped over as Dean mentioned Woodstock, and he beamed a huge grin at the other man, “I recognize that reference.” And really, it was a joyous thing, because Steve was combing his mind for what he knew about the late 90’s. Titanic came out, he knew this because Clint loved the movie, even if Tony didn’t. It was something, listening to a drunk archer sing ‘My Heart Will Go On’ to the woman who might be the world’s deadliest assassin, and watch her swat him almost playfully. Almost, because since when did Natasha ever do anything playfully?

“No one’s gonna mind if we leave the windows down for a while, will they?” He didn’t stop Queth from taking the keys, but…

Steve frowned, shaking his head. Yeah, this was… This felt more and more like a bad memory. Like a group of heroes working together for the first time. And didn’t that feel like a kick in the shin? It made Steve feel… Nostalgic. And homesick. Here, he would still be in the ice, still...asleep...but Tony wouldn’t be. Tony would be less than a decade away from becoming Iron Man now, in this world. Maybe. Though from his previous conversation with Luthien, Steve wasn’t entirely sure that’s how things went in this world.

Rolling his eyes, Steve moved to help with the van, waiting for Queth to move before he shifted to lift it a bit for Dean, or Queth, whomever was going to crawl under, keeping an eye around them to make sure no one would stumble across the sight. “If we had more privacy, I could just…”