10 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,961
The fucking pie haunted him.

It fucking stared at him.

There was a packet of googly eyes in his desk drawer courtesy of his daughter; she'd. Joined this..thing on instagram about putting them on random inanimate objects and uploading the photos.

The pie boxes each acquired a set.

If he was going to feel stared at it might as well be fucking justified.

The tea got drunk accidentally, and almost made him choke with how much sugar was in it. The little man wasn't lying if he drank that stuff regularly he had to be working out.

Just not enough.

Or not getting the right skills.

Fuck probably though six weeks of Ty-bo was enough to get him by.

Fucking geeks.

Safi’s long deep sigh had more than one co-worker eyeballing him...not that he didn't know they'd been watching him all morning. Gossip he'd noticed traveled at the speed of group WhatsApp and him and the little PA getting into it in a closet had already gotten blown out of proportion.

Fuck it. He wasn't going to spend his day being stared at by god damn pie!

Bagging the containers and the half empty thermos, Safi employed a decades worth of training in moving through hostile territory to deposit them back on the ‘current off dealing with some supplier or something-’ man's desk.

He'd get to be stared at for a while.
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,552
The pie had been meant as a peace offering and an apology. He had stood at Safi’s desk for a few very long, painful moments trying to figure out which flavor to leave him before just leaving one of each. He’d like one or the other, right? At least enough to eat it and even maybe enjoy it… And if Chris never got his tupperware back, well, that was okay. Small price to pay.

Chris worked out for two reasons: to keep himself looking fit and good (no one liked to see flab on you, it wasn’t attractive!) and because a healthy, fit body could take blows a whole better than a pudgy one. He didn’t train to fight, he trained to be healthy, and to look good. Just that. And it was several times a week at the gym, every week, for the last he couldn’t remember how many years.

He was pulled away to go over a problem with one of the assignments that Miss Mercy had dropped on his desk a couple of weeks ago. Where others struggled with the businessman who was contracting the project, Christian smoothed all of the ruffled feathers fairly easily with a genuine smile and his unassuming, non threatening attitude. There were moments it paid off to be small and clever rather than big and intimidating, after all. It was part of his job he enjoyed; dealing with people, being able to solve the problems and overcome the obstacles that other people fumbled with an ease that made it seem like anyone could do it. Except they couldn’t, which was why they needed him. It made him feel special, and that was a great feeling.

He was on the phone as he strode down the hallway, still leading always with his right, though no one noticed the change in his gait. ”No no, she’s picky about that sort of thing, it has to be lavendar; she’ll tell you that the amethyst is too dark. Yes, I know it fits the theme better, but that isn’t our call, she said she wanted the lavender… Yes, she’ll notice. She will definitely notice.” Turning the corner into his office, Christian’s eyes flicked around the room before landing on his desk.

And on the two small square containers of pie.

The breath he drew in was a choking gurgle, and he was entirely still for a moment as he collected himself, his voice soft and a bit strange when he spoke again, ”I know, Gigi. I know, but she… Can I call you back in a bit? I… Yeah. Thanks.” The moment he was off the phone he sank against the frame of his door, staring at the boxes. What did the googly eyes mean?? That Safi was watching him? Or was it just pure rejection of the offer of.. Of what, Chris? What did this mean?!

”Chris? You okay?” He blinked, eyes watering, ”Yeah, I.. Uh… I’ve gotta do some running. Might not be in the office much today, okay, Fan?” She nodded as she walked away and Christian almost sank down to the floor. But he couldn’t.

He should have just taken the damn day off…

Instead of sitting here and glaring at the rejected offer of...whatever… Christian sucked in a painful breath and marched his way to Safi’s office, rapping gently on his door.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Ok so he’d dropped off the damn pie, and that wasn’t going to be the end of it was it? No because his damn conscious wouldn’t let him off like that. Oh no Safi Wassem was going to have to wait out the day and god knew how much longer for the little workaholic who wouldn’t even take the fucking day off for BRUISED RIBS to make his way down to the lobby so Safi could offer to buy him a drink, walk him home, you know. Talk. Like adults. Not in a closet or via some weird ass baked goods language that he was pretty sure his mom would understand but that he was completely clueless about.

Except that it made him feel guilty.

So yes. His mom probably had a blackbelt in whatever unspoken baking/guilt/witchery that was being practiced on him.

What he really wanted to know is how did this become his day?

So that was the plan it was a nice plan, one that he could hold onto and having been made deal with the rest of his actual work that didn’t involve one very strange little pie elf.

...Who was now knocking on his door.

Safi was struck by the sudden urge to hide under his desk, to actual pretend he wasn’t there, no matter that his door was bloody glass and he could see and be seen by the knocker. Who was the pixie.

Why?? Why was he here now? Please dear god let this be about work and not THE FUCKING PIE!!

“Come in.”
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Christian was helping one of the executives plan her daughter’s quinceanera. The little girl was a complete debutante, and thought she knew everything. And the thing was, she was wicked good with colors. She had horrible taste in them, but she knew them. And the mother was letting the little brat have all the say in the decorating process.

It was madness, and it was horrible, and Christian hated this assignment. Give him cranky businessmen and flashy executives any day over a nearly 15 year old brat that thought she was a goddamned princess. And who was allowed to think that because her mother thought she was a princess, too.

So Christian was carrying two small swatches of purple fabric, which were nearly the same color, except one was just a touch lighter than the other. Most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, and the darker shade went so much better with the silver they’d picked out. They. HA! She. But his job wasn’t to explain that the darker color was better for the theme. His job was to make whatever the spoiled princess wanted to happen, happen.

Sometimes his job sucked.

Most of the time, though, his life was worse.

Like right now. He could see Safi through the door - who the hell made these out of glass, anyway? And oh look, Mr. Bodyguard wasn’t happy to see him.

What the fuck was new, though?

Still, it bothered him. He didn’t hesitate so much as pause to shift his briefcase in his hands and pull the door open, stepping just far enough into the room to shut the door behind him, his voice quiet, ”Why?” He didn’t look at Safi, didn’t even bother trying to meet the man’s eyes, or even look up from the floor. He wasn’t crying, and he wasn’t going to cry, and if he did cry it was because his ribs hurt, not because the rejection of the pie hurt. Not because this guy refused to just… Whatever. It wasn’t because of that, that was damn sure.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Why?

Why what?

Safi’s eyes flickered between the obviously distressed man, the fabric he was holding (lavender and amethyst because of course it was purple) the deserted hall behind him and back again. Please please let this be about work!

“Because lavender is a more feminine color?” He had no idea the context for the swatches or what exactly he might possibly be being asked...but it seemed a safe enough answer!

It was so about the fucking pie.
He knew it he really did he just was really really hoping to confuse the smaller man into forgetting about it and dear god was he about to cry??

“Hey Hey….it’s...ok.” Why was this his life? He hardly knew him and the guy was about to have a break down in his office?!

“Breathe...just not too deep.” Cuz he’d already seen him make THAT mistake once already following his orders.

“Common everything is better with googly eyes...at least that’s what my kid tells me.” Safi cracked a half smile at the mention of his daughter, she was the reason he did anything good in the world.

“Didn’t like them?”
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Why. Why didn't Safi like him? Or forgive him? Why did he give back the pie? Why, why, why?

Lavendar. Was. More... "They are both... No. No it's not. What makes it so much more feminine?! Because it's not jarring?!" Chris heaved the briefcase in his hand, for a moment looking as though he might throw it, but then his other hand, clutching the two small squares of fabric swang up and shook them at Safi, “They are both purple. They are both pleasing to the eye. But the amethyst compliments the silver better." He actually sounded calm. "my God, you have the color sense of a spoiled 15 year old girl!”

Christian laughed. And it felt good, and it also hurt like hell. And it sounded just a little bit reedy, even to his own ears. "Pie," he said with a sigh, "Is given to be eaten." He looked at Safi, "I just don't…"

Safi mentioned his child, and the man smiled.

Safi was capable of smiling?

He was. When he talked about his kid. "Yeah, well, tees not wrong. Did you take a picture for… Your kid at least?" He looked at Safi, trying to figure the guy out, and knowing he wouldn’t. “Why'd you... Give it back? You said you didn't like peach, so... I thought... “Chris shifted, "You don't like apple or blueberry, either? Is there a fruit you do like?"
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Men are jarring at that.” He agreed not at all thinking of a particular specimen that would not drop the pie thing!

For a moment that seemed to hang Safi wondered if he was going to have to dodge a briefcase aimed for his head. Thankfully the moment passed- “It does-” he snorted “Well unless it's for a birthday party for a tween.” He commented before being compared to one.

And the frown was back; damn it he actually had half decent fashion sense unlike this train wreck of a closet case in front of him. “Yes I did. She sent back one of googly eyes on a falafel.” And he'd told her to quit toying with her food.

...it was mean to the food.

“I don't like pie.” Safi sighing wincing at the expect tirade, “nothing against you, your sister who as we've discussed I shall be marrying at the first opportunity-” nope not even cracking a smile for that deadpan delivery. “But it's not something I've had often or enjoyed...I drank the tea?” Did that help?

“But really if this was Gotham I'd be really suspicious of you and the pie pushing.” He commented, knowing even as it came out of his mouth he'd pay for it.
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Men are jarring? Men were a lot of things, actually, and… Maybe jarring. Jarring might be one of the things that men could be, sure. But it wasn’t all that men could be! And a color should not be defined as male or female and men and women shouldn’t be defined by the colors they wore! Christian had… Strong feelings on this.

Very strong feelings.

He was not, however, a violent man, and of course he refrained from tossing the briefcase at anything or anyone. ”She’s insufferable.” and he sounded miserable. Because for all the frustration and emotional stress that Safi had put him through today? It was nothing compared to that horrible, spoiled, rotten little girl. Nothing. He looked up, and blinked to see Safi frowning and sighed quietly.

He had no idea what he’d done, but he knew it was him. ”Oh, well. Probably cuter on falafel. Not tastier, though.”

He… Didn’t like pie. Christian didn’t say anything for a full minute, instead he just stared at Safi as he processed the information. He didn’t like pie. Any pie? Apparently any pie. ”You can’t marry my sister.” It had nearly no force, but maybe a touch of sadness to it, if not for the reason Safi might think. Daughter. Daughters meant.. Wives.. Which lead to the inevitable conclusion of not being available. Poor Belle.

Poor him, too, but he wasn’t thinking that! He wasn’t!

He was really not sadly glancing over to Safi’s left hand and noticing that yes, there was very obviously usually a ring there. No, he wasn’t doing that. This man had dragged him into a closet, backed him into a corner, yelled at him (without even raising his voice, and that was a rare talent), and treated him like a child… He was not regretting the man’s relationship status!

”Why didn’t you just say you didn’t like pie? Instead of just saying you didn’t like peach?” That would have saved him a whole lot of trouble… And like five minutes of trying to figure out which piece to leave him before just leaving both. There was a pause, ”Do you have a secret dislike of cake, too?” The small, shy smile was almost hopeful. Chris could make pie, but it wasn’t his best thing. Cake, though… Everyone liked cake! But then, people liked pie, too, and Safi didn’t like pie…

”It’s not Gotham. Oh thank God it’s not Gotham. I couldn’t live there. I don’t know how anyone can.. It’s crazy. I’d be murdered, and found in some horribly undignified pose in some dirty alley and Belle would end up weeping and homicidal… No no, this is Central, and pie is safe in Central City.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

What he really wanted to know but couldn't quite get the courage to face the deluge that would answer him was when did Lexcorp get in the business of kids parties?

“I'll marry who I want.” Ok this was a thing now. “Belle right? Verglas? Gotham?” Safi nodded to himself actually jotting down the information. “Right well that covers my weekend plans.” He was joking he really was..except that it was coming out dry enough to be taken seriously.

“Because I don't like peach.” Refraining manfully from rolling his eyes Safi explained, “And I didn't expect to need to give you a break down of my culinary preferences or risk being buried in pie.”

Cake.

Now they were talking about cake.

Was this little man determined to feed him up? Was Safi now suddenly in some strange Hansel and Gretel world where he would have to avoid manic pixies feeding him sweeties?

Oh the other hand his mother would approve.

“The pie is save in Central.” Repeating the nonsense didn't make it make any more sense. What the unholy hell went on in his brain??
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

When did they get into the business of it? When an executive demanded it, that’s when. Because when one of them told you to do something, even if it was a crazy, crazy thing like plan their kid’s gigantic debutante birthday party, you just did it. You certainly didn’t ask if this was in your employment contract, because that was when they’d smile at you with all of their considerable teeth and ask you sweetly, ‘what employment contract? This is an at-will corporation.’ and that… Was not something you wanted to hear more than once.

So now he was stuck dealing with a girl, a nearly 15 year old girl who managed to drive him to the brink of tears every time he spoke to her, which left him in the restroom a lot, which was fine, because she also gave him indigestion, until the damn thing was over. Which was Saturday. Thank God, Saturday was coming.

Marry who he wanted? He… ”You… You’re…” Chris just barely managed to keep from tripping over his own tongue, and then shook his head, ”Nooo.” Chris shook his head, both to argue Safi’s words and to try to shake the idea of what the man was saying away. This… Wasn’t fair. He didn’t deserve this. He was a good person, damn it, he didn’t deserve this at all. ”No it doesn’t! You’re not.. You can’t!” He wasn’t worried about his sister, if she didn’t like Safi, well, she’d put him in his place forthwith, but that wasn’t why his stomach dropped out from beneath him. He didn’t even want Safi to meet Belle. Not ever. Ever ever ever.

Because Belle knew all of his secrets, and that was bad. Bad, bad, bad. ”Well, you could have just said, ‘Hey, Chris, no offense to your sister, but I don’t eat pie. Or like pie.' Or… There’s a whole plethora of things you could have said that would have made me not bring you more pie. I would have gone with something totally different. Like cake. Everyone likes cake… Right? Cake is good?” He was asking, because he’d thought everyone liked pie, and now he was finding out that that lifelong belief, a philosophy that had served him so very well, was a lie. Pie was a lie. It was a tasty, wonderful lie, especially when a la mode, but a lie nonetheless. Safi repeated that pie was safe in Central City, and Christian gave a soft, sad sigh, ”The pie was a lie. Was it always a lie?” he frowned, looking at Safi, ”You’re human, right? A person? Because I thought everyone liked pie… And if you’re human, then… That was a lie…” He blinked, ”But cake, right? You’re good with cake?”

And that made him think of fondant. Of all things. Fondant. And his eyes watered, they actually, really watered, and he muttered, ”Just no fondant. Please don’t say you like fondant on your cake… Because I hate her. I really, really hate her…”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Well look at that he managed to get him tongue tied for a few precious seconds of silence; he’d have to bring up courting this mysterious pie baking goddess Belle again. “I can.” a tiny blink and you’d miss it sharkish smile curved at his lips evilly. “I will marry your sister, and she’ll never bake pie for you again because i will be all mine.” why in gods name was he continuing this insanity? He had no idea why these words were coming out of him just that he was intentionally antagonizing the little man just to see him sputter.

“I did try, you were caught in the possible slight on your sister-my future wife's- pie making prowess.” He really HAD tried, but the little man had made a concerted effort not to hear him. Focusing instead on the inane.

...And now he’d broke him and it was weirdly adorable.

Heh the pie was a lie.

“No. your sister will be the bride of a half man, half cyborg. All hail Lexcorp.” Which ok that was actually plausible considering their boss was infact a cyborg. Was Safi being an ass by not directly answering the question of his enjoyment of cake? Yes yes he was. And he was ok with that. At some point instead of trying to fight the insanity he’d succumbed and was not determined to win at it.

“I keep a ball of fondant in my desk for mid afternoon snacks.” Which just...no. Fondant was an abomination against god and man, really it was edible packaging at best, and at worst hid the deliciousness of frosting behind its freakishly smooth texture.
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

”She wouldn’t have you!” The briefcase clattered to the floor noisily next to him, allowing him to bring his hand up and point, no not just point but jab at Safi, ”You’re mean, and Belle… Belle is probably the single most nicest person on this whole planet! She’s nicer than… Than… Than puppies! She’s warm and she’s kind and she’s so much better than everyone and she wouldn’t marry you because you’re mean! She’d never.. She’d never.. ” And it was horribly true, Chris thought Safi was mean, because Safi was standing here, making him reconsider ever telling anyone about his sister ever again. Because Belle was wonderful, and Christian thought that everyone should know Belle, because she was so damn nice, and knowing Belle made you a better person! But the idea of losing her because she fell in with someone who’d purposely take her away… That had his stomach rolling around violently, and the color draining from his face, leaving him pale.

Belle knew all of Chris’ secrets, and… No. NO. The word sort of just...looped in his head a few dozen times as he tried to remind himself that Belle wouldn’t tell his secrets to anyone, not the magic or how they grew up or when he was hurt, or who he had crushes on… She wouldn’t tell, and she wouldn’t leave him. She wouldn’t do that.

...Half cyborg?

Miss Mercy was… Whatever she was. And now Safi was saying… He blinked and muttered before he could stop himself, ”That makes so much sense…” Because everyone smiled, and more than just the once, too. (That look he’d just had, when he spoke about marrying Belle, that wasn’t a smile, that… That was a threat. He was pretty sure it was a threat. It looked like a threat. It made him feel threatened. Threat. Not a smile, because people didn’t smile like that unless they were making a threat…)

A ball… Of fondant… For snacks…

Christian looked ready to throw up. And in a way, he was. He hadn’t recovered his coloring from the threat of taking Belle away - that was still a thing, and it was upsetting, and he wasn’t over that, and he wasn’t sure he’d ever be over that and he couldn’t let them meet ever. Ever ever ever… ”Oh god… No. That’s… You really aren’t human. Pie… And now fondant… It’s… It’s a damp piece of used toilet paper someone slapped on a perfectly good cake… It’s… Are you really Camila in disguise? I… I really hate her…”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

He really was an emotional little thing wasn’t he?

And great he looked like he was about to cry again.

Great.

What had happened to his plan to just leave the damn pie and ask him out for drinks after work? How had his simple little plan get so derailed??

Kinder than puppies? She HAD to be an much older sister to engineer this sort of childish devotion and description.Maybe she’d helped raise him? Safi wanted to sigh, really it was more nerve wracking than navigating a minefield trying to talk to him.

“I’d more say that it is at best barely edible wrapping that covers good buttercream or being realistic it's a abomination against god and man and there is a reason that it can cover foam cakes for those competitions and no one can tell the difference.” Really? By context he was guessing that Camila was the aforementioned 15 year old girl. Well fine than. “Yes. You have discovered the truth of the universe, there is only two people. Me, and my future wife Belle. We are the alpha and omega, the end and the beginning, the light and the dark. Your life has been one long fight to keep us apart, and today at long last i have the information i need to meet my queen.”
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Spend your entire childhood shuffled from one foster home to another, just to always end up back in the same group home where other kids were adopted and taken away… Spend that much time with just one companion who always seemed to come back, to find you and make sure you were okay… And that… That stayed with you. It inspired blind loyalty and a faithfulness usually found in four legged canines. He’d always been small, undersized, and he’d always been loud. And happy. But the happy and the noise were in part defense mechanisms. Yes, he was bubbly and he was happy, and he really was, but even when he wasn’t really happy, he was… Happy.

It didn’t make sense, but that’s what it was.

And now Safi was threatening to take the person who had always come back, always found him and made things better, away from him. It had nothing to do with the pie, and everything to do with the threat of losing Belle.

He felt sick. And he really didn’t want to be sick. First of all, being sick in front of someone you have a crush on? That is just a deal breaker. As if all he had ever stood a chance, but hey… It also meant that your dignity was just… Gone. Goodbye, being able to look that person in the eyes ever again! And on top of those things, it would hurt so very much with bruised ribs. So so so much.

And then Safi was… Talking. And for the first time maybe all day, he was making sense. Actual, real sense, not just the ‘shouting at you and making you nod dumbly’ sort of sense. ”Oh, I know. And it takes no skill whatsoever to wrap a cake in it. Honestly, making the stuff is harder than using it, and it’s not even hard to make, but.. Why would anyone make it?? I seriously think it started as an accident, and someone said ‘hey, it’s edible and still rolls out incredibly flat, so let’s cover this delicious cake in something that tastes like it’s touched someone’s ass!’” Buttercream… ”Buttercream is the only sort of frosting that should touch a cake. Whipped cream is… Okay… But come on, that’s meant to go on ice cream or pie, which I know you don’t like, but some of us do, and it goes great on pumpkin pie. But not as good as buttercream for cake…” he glanced at Safi when he mentioned the pie, looking for the frown that felt like it would gut him, but he pressed on after it.

And then Safi said the most hilarious thing Christian might ever have heard. And he began to laugh, which really wasn’t a great idea, because laughing involved deep, rolling breaths which hurt like hell, but.. ”No way. Nope. Belle won’t ever marry you, Sophie. Won’t happen, I don’t care how good looking you are. She’s not marrying someone who doesn’t like pie.” He snorted, and that hurt too, but to hell with it, he had aspirin in his briefcase, which he moved to pick up and dig through, ”No, you really don’t.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

This!? This?! Was what made sense to him?!

Safi would have been horrified to know that his nonsensical tirade actually ‘made sense’ to the diminutive PA. “Well actually if you watch the baking shows it takes quite a bit of skill to paint and shape them.” He rather felt a passenger in his own body, hearing himself defend fondant the the people that used it.

What the hell had been in the tea?

“What about that whipped butter cream stuff? It's like half and half and much lighter?” What was even this conversation??

“See I'm pretty sure this paragon of pie virtue would look beyond my merger faults and love me for who I am: A really sexy foreign guy.” Safi’s expression was completely serious, fingers laced on his desk,
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Okay, so truth be told, the sense in it was a whole lot less about what was actually being said and instead more about how things were being said. Flow of actual conversation… Chris could do that, hell, he could even be fairly articulate about things when he was… More comfortable. Sure, he babbled, a lot, but he could make sense to other people!

Belle understood him just fine. And Thea Queen had seemed to. And The Artemis. See? People understood him! They did!

”No more skill than it takes to paint on canvas. You’re not going to win me over here, I’ve made fondant. And I’ve eaten fondant, which is an experience I would rather not have again, okay? You don’t like pie,” and the look was incredulous, ”I’m not sitting here telling you that pie’s not so bad and it takes a lot of skill to make one, am I? You don’t like pie. So okay, no pie. I don’t like fondant. So. No. Fondant.”

Sugar. Sugar had been in the tea. And caffeine, but mostly it was water, sugar, and ice. Which ended up as more water. Christian had had a little bit, but mostly he just mainlined coffee. Especially today, which had been hard, because he had to come in to work. Bruised and remorseful about the weekend being over. But he had, and he had looked pretty good right up till he’d been about ready to cry…

Tilting his head, Chris considered the concoction that Safi was suggestion, ”Maybe for cupcakes. Because they’re small, and buttercream can be heavy. But why are you wanting to take perfection and take it down a notch? That’s just… Right. Cyborg.” the grin he gave Safi was wide, honest, and open. For a moment, at least, he wasn’t worried that the man was developing a dislike for him, or that he might say something really wrong and offend him again (which he still didn’t quite get what it was that had set Safi on the path to not liking him, but it was what it was!) but instead was just… Being himself.

A really sexy foreign guy.

”You gotta do better than that for Belle. Sexy and foreign are not going to win her over, Sophie.” he crossed his arms over his chest as if in contemplation, but also as a defense mechanism, but that… That was a mistake. His eyes went wide for a moment and then both arms immediately dropped back down to his sides. Mistake. Which he was going to pay for in aspirin.

He dug the small white bottle out of his case and then reached for a small thermos of the tea, ”She’s smarter than that.” And if his cheeks and ears had just a bit of extra color in them, well, that was because he was in pain. Nothing else!
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Because buttercream is heavy and distracts from lighter flavors like lemon or mint.” Why was he arguing frosting? “So a nice whipped frosting enhances the flavor with out overpowering it with fatty sugar.”

Really starting to suspect he'd been drugged...except that he'd been drugged a few times and while it was just as surreal it didn't have quite the same flavor.

“Ahhh but sexy and exoctic will get me in the door.” Interesting that he didn't argue Safi was indeed sexy. “Than I'll sweep her off her feet with my charm and wit.”

Also- “sit down before you fall down.” Safi gestured to the guest chair across from him grumpily. “It's not going to feel much better but at least you're not falling down on me.”
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Safi made a very, very good point, about the whipped frosting over buttercream for the more delicate flavors, and it earned him a friendly, easy smile as Christian dived into the conversation with happy aplomb. This… This he could do. No one was standing over him, cornering him, there was no threat, spoken or unspoken, just a nice conversation about a topic he actually could speak to with knowledge and confidence. ”Sure, you’re not wrong. Mint can be a heavy flavor, though. In fact, it…” he wrinkled his nose, ”Not my favorite. But lemon… You’re right. I could see the case for that.” With a nod, Chris gave points to Safi for that one.

It was damn nice to just have a conversation with this man that didn’t start with a glare or end with Christian wanting to run away. Of course, it could still end with him wanting to run away, but right now it didn’t feel like it would… Right now it was just… Nice. Normal. New, because Safi hadn’t ever really talked to him before, but normal and nice nonetheless.

”Yeeeeah, see you’d think that, I can see why you’d think that, but you don’t know Belle…” Christian grinned wider when he spoke of his sister, eyes crinkling with the stretch of it. He adored her, she was the one constant in his life, from childhood to now, Belle had never really left him. Even when she’d been adopted, she hadn’t just disappeared, and that… That wasn’t easy to accomplish when you’re an orphan kid who just got placed in a great home. That home should have just swallowed her up, letting her forget the sad existence she’d had prior, and yet, Belle had always been around, always just there. She hadn’t forgotten him.

Why would he argue about it? Safi was sexy, it was true. He was gorgeous, and… Christian was so not going to go down this line of thinking, because that way was dangerous. Safi did not like him as a human being, let alone… After all, the man was threatening to marry his sister just to take her away from Chris.

That was not nice. Not nice at all, like, to an extreme it wasn’t nice. Chris shuddered at the idea of losing his sister, the only person who… His jaw set and he shook his head rapidly, ”Belle will see through your pretty face and your charms and see that you’re really just a mean man trying to take her away from her loving brother.” there was a thin quality to his voice, something almost frantic in how he spoke. And perhaps just a touch forlorn, too. But when Safi told him to sit, Christian sat obediently, folding himself into the chair without brooking any argument about it. He was tired, and he was hurting, and his heart ached right now. ”I’m not falling down. I wasn’t going to fall down. I’m not so fragile, you know, this is not the first time I’ve dealt with this.” It was just the first time that someone had ever actually noticed.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Almond also can be lightened with whipped cream instead of buttercream. Otherwise it's very overpowering.” He had given up on the weirdness of this conversation and had accepted that it was happening.

He liked mint, mixed with anything really, but he wasn't going to argue with the volatile tiny man.

“Trying to take her pie away.” He corrected mildly. Reaching for and grimacing when his cup came up empty. The sweet tea had been...sweet, but he really needed a damn coffee.

“And again telling me things like that doesn't increase my confidence in your self preservation.”
DC-DCTVU-1

555 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Almond… Christian’s nose wrinkled again, just slightly. ”Almond is always overpowering.” At least, to him it was. For Christian, this was just a conversation. Yes, about food, specifically about cakes and frosting, but it was just a conversation. He didn’t classify it as weird or question the reality of it. Life was strange.

It had only gotten stranger when he’d discovered that magic existed. So this? This was far from being something he’d question.

At Safi’s correction, Christian just looked down, the easy attitude, the relaxed openness he’d had just a few moments before slipping away, and he almost seemed to hunch inward, his shoulders tensing and shifting forward. It was a defensive posture. ”Yeah. Right, pie.” But it didn’t feel like an agreement. Because the threat Safi had leveled against him, using his sister, hadn’t felt like it had been about pie.

Losing Belle was a fear that Christian couldn’t face. Not really.

But when Safi once again questioned his ability to take care of himself, Christian snorted, ”No, really mom, I’m all grown up now, pretty sure I can look after myself.” The words were spoke with just a hint of sharpness to them, but he was too tired, too achy, to really put up a fight. ”You don’t get it. Because you’re one of the bodyguard types.” Chris looked up at Safi, brown eyes clear, ”Have you ever been on the receiving end? Really? Because I sort of highly doubt it. But I have, okay? Always. This? It’s not fun. It doesn’t feel good. But I’m not going to miss work because some stupid thug decided I made a good punching bag.” he spoke the words almost gently. He was hurt, and Safi had hit him in a sore place with a surprising amount of precision, but he still had his dignity.