Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkMeeting in the Mansion
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 483
"I might as well have pulled the trigger myself. I had you cuffed and paraded out in public, in what was left of your suit no less, like a ted white and blue target." He could see it all so clearly in his mind's eye, and thinking about it was--as it always was--a punch to the gut. "You'd still be alive if it wasn't for me. The details don't matter."

Wanda looked faraway too, but Tony could barely spare the emotional energy to wonder why. All he could see was Steve's body laid on a slab under his blood spattered shield. Steve screaming at him whether it had been worth it. That rainy day in Arlington when he'd broken down in front of everyone he knew.

Steve, the one in front of him, looked angry and suspicious. Tony almost laughed, because of course he couldn't have this either. Might as well have pulled the trigger himself.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
"Death isn't something you usually get better from," Steve says sharply. Then does a double take as her hair literally begins fly around her. Her hands glow scarlet. Steve doesn't understand her powers at all, but from the look on her face he can tell this isn't a good thing.

He touches her sleeve gently, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to upset you."

He turns back to Mr. Stark.

"The details matter, if we're going fix it," Steve says. He tries not to think about the idea of Mr. Stark parading him around in cuffs after his defeat. It seems petty, but then again Steve has no idea what their fight was about. "I need details."
Marvel-616-1

92 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,679
Wanda just barked out a laugh “Says the man frozen for seventy years.” Her voice was tight with grief, and no little rage. Steves hand on her arm is a live line. One she clings to where the white knuckled ferocity, “me too.” Because this moment isn't about her pain (it never was was it?). Carefully Wanda reigned in her power, the image of her toddlers never far away lingered.

“I don't know this one can be fixed.” Wanda released Steve’s arm. “What happens affects so much that comes later. It is a point on which that world's fate turns.” Taking a deep breath Wanda explained. “Those that could look beyond our world did so, hoping for a clue, a way to end the violence with out….with out one of you or the majority of the Avengers in graves. There was only one nexus point that could be found where the War never happened or was stopped with out bloodshed.”

Wanda looked almost pityingly at the pair, “We never spoke of what we found. Because in our world it was impossible.”
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"What do you mean," Tony growled at Wanda. "What could have happened? How could it have been stopped?"

He could see Wanda was still upset, and trying hard to rein it in, but he had to know. A world where the superhero civil war never happened...

He'd done everything in his power to try to stop it. He'd pleaded with Steve more than once. Tried to get him to understand that Registration was happening with or without them, that the only way to minimize the damage was to do what Tony had done. He'd been so sure he'd thought of everything, but if there was something he'd missed... some futurist he was. He had to know.

Steve had asked for details, but Tony ignored him. There was too much to say. He hadn't been able to get Steve to see eye-to-eye when they were both living it. It was hard to imagine explaining it in any way that would make sense to him now.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Wanda didn't think his death could be stopped, not at least without causing other Avengers to die. It hurt, but Steve knows that he'd rather die than risk any of the other Avengers. Besides, Wanda said he got better. Mr. Stark asks for more details but Steve is already shaking his head.

"No. I'm not risking other peoples lives to save my own," Steve says firmly, "besides, I apparently get better. We should focus our attention on people who died and stayed dead."
Marvel-616-1

92 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,679
Wanda just shook her head, “I told you. It was impossible in our world.” At least by the time they had discovered that one universe… “The factors that went into that outcome...None of us could see a way to replicate.” Not the least of which was Tony having a sex change. Honestly she wondered if as a woman he would actually listen better than as a man.

“And I already tried to make a world where everyone was happy.” Including you Tony!

Steve’s out burst was met by a sigh, “None of us would Steve, if we weren't willing to die for the rest we wouldn't be Avengers.” Wanda’s gaze skipped away from him. The ones that died and stayed dead.

“I already rewrote the world once to save my husband, my sons.” Her bangles chimed, ringing sweetly as she hugged herself.

“Tony has the right of it. Some of it. Some things shouldn't be changed.” But some things could be.

“I'm going to bed. You boys can do what ever you wish.” Wanda scrubbed her fingers through her thick wavy locks, before turning to leave.
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"I don't care. I just want to know. I'm not asking you to rewrite the world," Tony said. Even if there was nothing that could be done-- actually, that might be better. He had to know that he truly had done all he could. And wasn't it ironic that now she was the one telling him that some things should not be changed?

But she was already turning to go, and he at least knew better than to try to stop her. Instead, he looked tentatively at Steve. Considering how not-smoothly the rest of conversation had gone, to the point where Steve had looked almost as angry at him as his older counterpart once had, he could hardly expect this young Steve to want anything else to do with him. He knew he should save Steve the awkwardness of having to break it off himself, but, as he stood there looking at Steve's unlined but oh-so-familiar features, he found he just didn't have it in him. "I'll be up a little while longer," he said lamely. "If you want the company..." He gave a small shrug and let the offer hang.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Her husband and her sons? He knows how hard Pa's death hit Ma, and he saw enough children succumb to the various childhood illness that plagued the 30's to know what a mothers grief looks like, if not what it feels like.

"I'm sorry. If there's anything we can do...?" Steve lets the question linger between them, but Wanda is already turning away. He doesn't stop her, doesn't want to make things worse for her. He already feels partially responsible for ruining their pleasant evening. Then Mr. Stark is offering to keep him company which is surprising. Steve wasn't sure where he stood with the man. He had a sneaking suspicion that despite their alleged friendship (which Steve wasn't fully convinced about) Steve's presence was painful for Mr. Stark. Still if Mr. Stark wanted to at least try to let bygones be bygones and work on fixing the future, Steve was more than happy to oblige.

"Of course, Mr. Stark. I have nothing else to do," Steve says, "You can give me more details about the future...not about my death though, if you don't want."
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony gave a short laugh, though he was relieved--and very surprised--that Steve had accepted his offer for company. It had probably been out of politeness, but still. His Steve had been far past the point of being polite to him for the sake of it, so that was something too.

"I'm still not sure that's a good idea. Details about the future, I mean." Then he winced, because they'd already gotten off on the wrong foot over this and he didn't want to start fighting again. He offered a conciliatory, if slightly watery, smile. "But I wouldn't mind hearing a little about the past. How you're getting along with Iron Man, say."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve frowns, details about the future were important. Why couldn't Mr. Stark see that? Steve was willing to allow his own death, but he wasn't going to stop trying to save others. Wanda's husband and children came to mind. There had to be a way to save them at least. But perhaps that was a conversation best left for when Wanda was with them. She deserves to be included in that discussion.

Steve gives a tiny sigh. He did not like waiting, and he did not like the fact that Mr. Stark was hiding things from him. His overall trust in the man had gone down considerably since coming here, but it was late and he was too tired for another argument. For now he wluld indulge Mr. Stark. And he mentioned Iron Man. Steve could only imagine how much the man was missing his faithful bodyguard, as it was apparent the man had not followed Mr. Stark into the hub.

"Iron Man is great. He's been the most helpful in getting me used to the future," Steve says, "He's been very patient explaining new technology to me."
Supernatural-N/A

115 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine

Steve sighed, obviously less than thrilled with Tony's refusal to tell him more about the future. Well, Tony, supposed, he wouldn't be Steve if he wasn't as stubborn as humanly possible.

"Iron Man is great. He's been the most helpful in getting me used to the future. He's been very patient explaining new technology to me."

Tony had to smile, remembering those early days and how Steve had vacillated between awe and frustration at all the technology that had developed since he'd gone into the ice. The warmth of the feeling also made him even more determined to keep the fact that he and Iron Man were one and the same from Steve. There was far too much wrong with Tony Stark to let Steve in on that secret too soon, not while he still thought as well of the armored Avenger as he did.

"He, uh, he told me about that," Tony said, stumbling a little over slipping back into what had for a long time been habit. "Said you're a fast learner. He had a lot of good things to say about you, actually." He smiled again. "Don't tell Thor, but he told me you're his favorite Avenger."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve beams at him.

"Don't worry Mr. Stark, his secret's safe with me," Steve says. He pauses, as if insure of what he wants to say next. Then he steels himself and says, "Iron Man didn't follow you into the hub...Is he alright in the future?"

Steve tenses with nervousmess at the thought of something bad happening to Iron Man.
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

It was worth keeping the secret going just to see Steve grin like that. It also sent a little twinge of guilt through him. Steve would learn the truth soon enough, and then he'd have little reason to grin like that at just the thought of Iron Man.

He also sounded all too worried.

"Iron Man's fine," Tony reassured him, putting on a smile. "He's, ah, he's retired. No more following me around everywhere I go. Better for everyone that way." Then, hesitantly, he put a hand on Steve's shoulder. "And you can call me Tony. No one calls me Mr. Stark anymore."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve frowns. Iron Man retire. While true that Steve doesn't actually know how old the man behind the mask is, Steve had pegged him as being in his early 30s. Far too young to retire in ten years...unless something had happened to him. Being a bodyguard to one of the richest, most danger prone, men in the US was a dangerous job. Had he been hurt protecting Mr. Stark, or perhaps on a mission with the Avengers.

"Retired? What could have convinced old Shellhead to take the easy life?" Steve asks.

Mr. Stark puts a hand on his shoulder. "And you can call me Tony. No one calls me Mr. Stark anymore."

Tony. Steve rolls that around in his head for a few moments. It's so much more informal than Mr. Stark, and doesn't match the image of a sharp witted businessman. Still, Steve likes it. It's almost like they are friends.
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"The easy life?" Tony echoed, giving a short humorless laugh. Since revealing his identity, life had been anything but easy. "He must've gotten sick of me," he added, smiling wryly. Most people did, after all.

With his hand still on Steve's shoulder, he steered them over to a couch sitting against the wall and sat down. Now that the initial shock of meeting Steve was over, as was their argument over changing the future, he felt strangely numb. Steve was here, in the flesh, so...alive. He wanted to reach out and touch him again, to pull him close and hold him, to apologize for everything and tell him that in the end it just hadn't been worth it.

A flash of Steve's body, pale and cold under the blood-spattered shield, ran through his mind again. For a few seconds he missed his own Steve--the one who remembered everything--so much that it felt almost like a physical pull, and he had to look away. Having any version of Steve around was better than him being gone, of course. But it also made it impossible to forget about how much he'd lost.

He cleared his throat and started talking again because if he didn't he was afraid he'd break down and spill something else he shouldn't. "Yeah, Iron Man's fine. I think he'd be surprised to hear you're this worried." Pleasantly surprised, in fact. But then, he'd loved Steve for a long time.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"Sick of you? I don't think that's possible Mr. Sta- Tony. Iron Man loved adventure too much." Steve says. It was true Iron Man was always the forst to volunteer for damgerous missions. It is one of the things Steve admires most about him. Steve still can't shake the feeling that Tony is not telling him something very important about Iron Man.

Tony steers him to the couch, gently pushing him into the seat. Tony sits next to him. For a moment Tony's face spasms into a look of dispair as he looks at Steve. It must be very odd to see him, Steve realizes, like looking at a ghost. He pulls himself together impressively though.

"Of course I'm worried. He's one of my best friends. It's hard to imagine the Avengers without him" steve says, "did Iron Man retire before or after my...?" Steve asks, and leaves the end dangling awkwardly between them.
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Hearing Steve call him Tony almost made him choke up again. The other Steve had called him Tony of course, and so had Safi, but neither of them were... his. Even this young version of Steve hadn't seemed quite so much like his while he'd been calling him Mr. Stark.

But Tony plastered another smile on his face until the feeling of having been punched in the stomach receded somewhat. "Adventure, sure. But me? I don't think so. You can't tell me he ever spoke that highly of me." Because of course, he'd never spoken that highly of himself. Still, it was nice to hear Steve call Iron Man one of his closest friends.

"did Iron Man retire before or after my...?"

"Before." Tony bowed his head, buying himself a second to decide how much else to say. The Steve who had gone into the SHRA fight had known exactly who he was, and he couldn't help but wonder how different it might have been if he hadn't. Steve had hated him by the end, but maybe he wouldn't have hated Iron Man quite so much. He shook himself slightly, and settled for saying, "Long before. He misses you, though, a lot more than he likes to admit."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Even after only knowing Tony a short time Steve can see that his grin is utterly fake. Steve's sure that's the smile he gives the media during press conferences when the reporters are asking awkward questions.

Steve shrugs in response. It's true that Iron Man never really had a kind word to say about Tony, but he did risk his life for him constantly, and Steve had always imagined that they had the type of friendship that was built on friendly banter and jabs.

"Before."

Steve lets out a tiny breath. A weight that he didn't even know was on his shoulders disappears. He can't imagine ever having to fight Iron Man, but if Iron Man was employed by Tony, Steve can't imagine him not getting involved in The Civil War on his employer's behalf.

"Good, that's good." Steve says softly, "I hope he's actually enjoying his retirement and not missing me too badly."
Marvel-616

325 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve seemed visibly relieved that "Iron Man" hadn't been around for his death. Tony winced internally at the lie, but the upside was that it allowed him to be far more truthful in other ways than he could have been otherwise.

"He misses you," Tony said bluntly, watching Steve's face carefully. "Actually, he-- he's falling apart. You meant a lot more to him than he ever told you. He wishes he had." He broke off, taking a deep breath before he could let any of the pain show on his face. "But he'll be all right. He always is."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Jjjhhhh
[hr]
Higgigigi