Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting in the Mansion
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 213
It had been a long day, on top of a long year, and Tony was looking forward to finally finding a bed and passing out on it. The trouble was, the other Tony had taken over virtually every part of the Tower that he'd have chosen for himself, and he had little desire to set up in a guest room or anyone else's room. So he'd gone walking, in hopes of finding another one of his buildings unoccupied. He hadn't had high hopes for the Mansion, seeing as it was still a pile of rubble in his own universe, but as he'd turned to see the familiar facade rising up among the buildings, he'd been surprised by the depth of his own reaction.

It was more than a relief to see it. It was like...coming home.

He pushed the heavy door open, taking in the familiar sights and smells of the old building. The common room where the Avengers had wiled away so many nights, talking and playing cards and just enjoying each other's company. Steve and Thor and Hank and Jan, Clint and Vision and Wanda... He could almost see them. Normally, Tony would have told anyone who asked that he didn't have an ounce of nostalgia in him, but, well... this was different. And no one had to know.

The place seemed more or less empty, which was nice. He headed up toward his old quarters when a glimmer of light down a dark hallway cause his eye. Not so empty after all, maybe. A misplaced sense of hope sprung up in his chest, as if one of the figures he'd been envisioning might suddenly spring to life, lost here like he was. (Steve?) Considering his luck, he reminded himself, it would probably be either an old nemesis, or a squatter. He braced himself and walked toward the light.
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 904
In the weeks she'd been here Wanda had learned much about the way the universe worked, about magic, fate, her mutation...and she'd also learned that when left alone in the Avengers Mansion by herself for weeks she would 100% end up wearing Thor’s helmet, the top half of Jan's costume (wings!) and nothing else while dancing to Beyoncé.

Was she kinda drunk? Yes. She was also lonely and tonight she'd gone down the path of ridiculousness instead of self pity.

So when the door to her room cracked open Wanda spun in place, wearing nothing below her waistline, hairbrush in hand singing her heart out to ‘Beautiful liar’.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

As Tony walked forward sound started to accompany the light, and it was so incongruous it actually took him a moment to recognize the familiar strains of...Beyonce. Which didn't actually rule out supervillain or drifter, when he thought about it.

He pushed the door open gingerly, expecting, well--

Not that.

Not Thor's helmet and Jan's wings bobbing around the room as a mostly-naked Wanda Maximoff sung into her hairbursh like it was the performance of her life.

For a moment he wondered--Death again?--but it was hard to imagine the cosmic entity doing this in its spare time, and they were in Avengers Mansion after all. Tony was, however, uncharacteristically rendered speechless. "Um," he said, clearing his throat and raising his voice when he realized he probably couldn't be heard over the chorus. "Uh, Wanda?"
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Everything froze.

No literally everything.

The music, the light show playing in time to the beat, the beating of Jan’s wings.

Everything.

Wanda Maximoff in a very real sense was a cosmic being, in that as the nexus point of her universe she could (and had) literally re-written reality to her desire.

She had faced literally Gods,Demons, creatures from the future, technology to advanced that it was indistinguishable from magic.

She still let out a shocked/embarrassed/horrified undignified(if she had any left at that moment) when Tony Stark suddenly appeared.

Oh gods.

The door slammed shut in his face with a flash of scarlet, seconds later a fully clothed in dark broomstick skirt, and red Lacey blouse Scarlet Witch, reopened it. “Tony?” She asked curiously, odds were good but..here you could never be sure.

If there was a high flush of embarrassment dusting her cheek Wanda was playing it off. “Are you my Tony?”
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony blinked as Wanda reappeared, clothed this time, but found that after the scene he'd just been confronted with he wasn't entirely sure where to rest his eyes. So he carefully kept his gaze on her face, and decided that if she wanted to pretend he hadn't just seen...all of that...then he could happily go along with that fantasy. (On the other hand, Thor's helmet? Why?)

Wanda recognized him, which was good--probably meant she wasn't from the other Tony's universe. And she was about the same age as the Wanda he'd left behind. The Wanda who had destroyed the Avengers, a different part of his mind supplied. Sure, they'd formed a new team, but it had never really been the same, had it?

On the other hand...

"Depends," he said. "I hugged the wrong Steve today. So... honestly, I have no idea. Uh. How long have you been here? What's the last thing you remember before you came here?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve looks around from where he stepped out of the portal and is disappointed to find himself standing in the hallway of the Avengers Mansion. How disappointing. What was the point of a portal if it doesn't even go any place interesting. Shrugging to himself, Steve decides to grab a snack from the kitchen before returning to his room.

He walks down the hall and finds it unusually quiet. Perhaps the other avengers have gone out for the evening. Halfway to the kitchen he turns the corner and finds Mr. Stark talking with a very pretty, albeit unfamiliar looking woman. Not wanting to interrupt what could possibly be a date, Steve lingers in the hallway awkwardly.
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Yes Tony let's ignore what just happened; she knew damn well that if he was her Tony he wouldn't let it go, she'd eventually be hearing about it somehow. But she'd deal with that teasing when the moment came.

“It happens. The one from the Tower?” Wanda’s lips quirked into a slightly sympathetic smile. “He is very huggable.” Last thing she remember… “I've been here about two months.” Wanda leaned on the door jam blowing out a breath. Well there was one way to find out for sure.

Wanda had been learning a few tricks since coming here, “Good news is you recognize me, I apparently don't look a thing like his Wanda. She's not even a mutant.” The Witch frowned lightly to her self magic lighting the tips of her fingers. “I should beable to see if we are from the same universe at least.” She raised her fingers slowly, just incase he took it for an attack, Wanda touched the exposed skin of his hand.

Magic, mutation, the affinity between them became visualized as a red thread linking their fingers. “You are mine.” She sighed softly, guilt clouding her features. “Oh Tony.” Even from Wanda’s perspective it had been over a year since she'd seen him let alone talked to the Golden Avenger, “missed you.” Wanda wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him. A quick hard squeeze.

Wanda had had no reason to abort her magic, the thread of it reached out to the rest of the mansion, a red thread curling like a beacon from their fingers down the hall. “Did someone come with you?” She asked curiously, releasing him, raising her hand between them.

Eyes Following the line of the string down, Wanda’s eyes widened, “Of course.” She half chuckled, “Steve!” Wanda took two quick strides before launching herself into his arms. His hug was punctuated by a quick kiss to his cheek.

“Did you come on accident?” Wanda turned to include Tony with her question dropping back down to her feet. “Or were you looking for me?” Wanda’s expression became just a touch harder her ‘mission’ face slipping on. If they had come for her help...couldn't be good.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

He is very huggable.

Tony closed his eyes briefly. Wanda hadn't meant anything by it, obviously, but the short sentence called back the stab of disappointment he'd felt at learning that the Steve he'd embraced was a virtual stranger. That his Steve was still dead, and Tony was as responsible for it as he'd be for the rest of his life. That of course it had been nothing more than wishful thinking.

At least, it was seeming more likely than not that the Wanda standing before him (dancing before him) was actually from his universe. At the very least, nothing seemed glaringly off.

She reached for his hand and the red magic jumped between them like electricity between charged nodes, connecting their fingers in a glow of red. Tony froze initially (he hated magic, he'd always hated magic, Wanda knew he hated magic), but the truth was he wanted to know. Finding Justin here was one thing. Finding Wanda here, a friend he'd not been sure he'd ever see again, well, that was something else.

When she wrapped her arms around him, he squeezed back with one arm, pressing her head to his chest for a brief moment before letting go. Wanda, sane and solid and real. Maybe this place wasn't so bad after all. "I missed you too," he murmured.

He let her go and her magic kept snaking down the hall in a thin tendril.

"No one came with me," he said, just as Steve rounded the corner. As Wanda threw herself into his arms Tony could only stare. It had to be another Steve from another part of the multiverse. He looked, well, he looked good, young and strong and handsome. Like the man Tony and the other Avengers had pulled out of the ice so many years ago. But he couldn't be the same one. Steve was dead. He took a deep breath, reminding himself that he'd made this mistake already, that the rush of nostalgia that being in the mansion and seeing Wanda had kicked up in him was just that. Steve was dead. Steve was never coming back.

Tony answered the question as if on autopilot, his eyes still trained on Steve. "I didn't know you were here. I didn't... I didn't know he was here either."
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

As Steve stands there red tendrils of light tangles around his hand. It feels odd in a not unpleasant way. He looks at it curiously. Mr. Stark and the woman also have red glowing strands wrapped around their hands, although neither seems upset by it. Perhaps this is a normal occurrence.

Suddenly Steve finds his arms filled with more woman than he was expecting. Blushing furiously steve looks over her head at Mr. Stark who has made no move to stop her. She reaches up and kisses his cheek, which does nothing to lessen his embarrassment. He hastily untangles himself from her arms and takes a step back.

"Ma'am," he greets politely, trying to sound casual. He's not quite sure he pulled it off.

Steve turns to Mr. Stark, who looks much older than he did when Steve talked to him this morning.

"I'm sorry Mr. Stark I didn't realize you had a guest. I was just upstairs reading, but I can take myself for a walk around the city if you two would like some privacy" steve says.
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

She had known Tony for too long to miss the flash of anguish so well hidden flash across his exhausted features. “Tony?” Wanda brushed her hand over his forearm, trying to bring him back to the here and now, “What's wrong?” She asked gently.

She knew well his disdain for magic, that hadn't stopped him from using it and her though to solve problems pure science could not.

There was something horribly wrong.

Wanda blinked as Steve untangled himself from her arms, “Steve?” The hurt at his rejection couldn't be disguised. Tony was explaining he came alone but- “He's our Steve.” Wanda said with rare surety in her powers.

Lifting both her hands to show the red threads of fate looping around her fingers to lead to both of them who then connected to each other.

Wanda frowned, she was no fool and had been an Avenger for decades. “Steve? You don't know me?” Wanda’s eyes narrowed at Tony, “And he's calling you Mr. Stark with out any teasing.” Tony...there was something so very worn about him. Though she had not seen him in well over a year Wanda couldn't help but have the feeling something was still off.

“Tony? How long have you known me? Steve how long have you known him?” While they answered Wanda threaded her fingers together muttering under her breath as she intensified the spell, weaving her mutation to bend reality to her will.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

He couldn't stop staring at Steve. Staring at Steve was a problem he'd had early on, but by the time Mr. Stark had come out as Iron Man and he'd spent any amount of time around Steve without his helmet, he'd gotten the urge under control. Or at least, he'd figured out how to do it in a nice, inconspicuous way.

Now, he felt stuck. Wanda's fingers brushed lightly over his arm, and he was glad for the touch but not for the question. "Nothing," he muttered. Too much to explain to her. Far too much to explain to Steve, who was rather mysteriously not glaring at him in unadulterated anger and disappointment. As if--as if he didn't remember any of what had happened. Or perhaps had never experienced any of it at all.

Steve's face had never shown age much, a benefit of the serum, but Tony was pretty sure he hadn't worn his hair like that in... a while. At least since Tony had sported the mustache. And, for all that Steve had never been a powerhouse of fashion, his clothes seemed especially square. (An adjective Tony had not, and probably would never, use on anyone else.) Which meant Wanda was asking the right questions.

"I've known you both for more than ten years," Tony said. "How long have you both known me?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve felt completely lost. It was a feeling he was becoming depressingly familiar with. The woman looked at him, upset, but for the life of him Steve couldn't figure what he did to hurt her. And she had called him Steve, like she knew him, but hardly anyone knew him in this time and she was far too young to have known him during the war.

Mr. Stark was also giving him a strange uncomfortable look. Then he claimed that he had known him for 10 years. I hadn't even been a month yet. If this was a joke, Steve found it to be in incredibly poor taste. Steve frowned at the both of them. The woman talked to Tony and Steve couldn't follow their conversation at all. Once again, Steve felt as if he were missing something very important. The woman does something odd with her hands as she includes him into the conversation.

"I'm afraid I don't know you at all ma'am. I don't know much of anyone. I've only known Mr. Stark for about 3 weeks and I don't know why he's claiming to have known me for 10 years." Steve said
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Ten years...Wanda glanced up at Tony eyes wide. “I’ve been an Avenger for almost 20 years Tony.” which meant that there was a goodly good gap between them...almost as large as the one between Tony and Steve it seemed.

“Well...damn.” The Witch summed up the issue succinctly. A flick of her fingers and the red threads of fate vanished from visibility. “Three weeks?” Wanda’s lips quirked as she tried to find the humor in it all, “You havn’t met Clint yet either than.” Ahh the halcyon days of being part of ‘Cap’s Kooky Quartet’.

Wait that meant-

Wanda raised an eyebrow at Tony, he might be lacking nearly a decade of knowing her, but to be fair they had not had as much time together as they had in the one he had lived; Flicking her eyes between the pair, making sure she caught his gaze Wanda asked nonverbally ‘Are we going to tell him about Ironman?’ because yes that was a thing, and so was polluting the time stream and...that was about where her brain gave up because she wasn’t Reed (or Tony) OR even Strange to deal with multi-dimensional time travel regularly enough to have a good handle on how and what she should say.

Well one thing she could determine: Wanda was briefly suffused with scarlet light when it faded she was in her full costume, cape, headdress and armored bodysuit. “The Scarlet Witch.” Wanda held out her hand, her father's blue eyes dancing with amusement. “Wanda Maximoff, Avenger, magic user, mutant.” she had to see the ‘funny’ or else fall into depression, and that..that wasn’t good for anyone, especially not here where reality was already so very fluid. “One of those things drive ‘Mr. Stark’ mad.” she winked.

She wasn’t going to dwell on the fact that she missed the Steve who knew her, trained her, and yes for a day had perhaps even loved her as more than a team mate before her powers altered them both. This was a man who would with luck someday get to know her..and who knew, by coming here he might now be an ‘alternate’ Steve.

Ten years..Wanda tried to place where exactly in the time stream that would put Tony...wouldn’t it be nice if it was before her own...instability? To not have that judgement?
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Three months. Twenty years. Well, that explained a lot. Both Steve and Wanda had always had a sort of ageless quality about them, thanks to the combined power of super-soldier serum and magic. But on a closer look he could see how...unlined Steve's face was. For all he'd just emerged from a war into a world he knew nothing about (and Tony could remember how hard those early days had been for him), there was something innocent in his expression and bearing that Tony's Steve had lost long ago. And Wanda, now ten years his senior, and apparently not crazy anymore. He wondered distantly what she'd been up to in all that time. What he'd been up to.

Wanda's eyes met his, and he could sense the unasked question. Tell Steve about Iron Man and risk the timeline? Or keep up the old bodyguard story? His armor was back at the Tower--with Extremis still not interfacing right, thanks to the other Tony's AI, it hadn't seemed worth it to schlep it through the city with him, especially considering there were bound to be older suits in the mansion that he could use in an emergency. Which meant it would be easy enough not to mention that he was Iron Man at all. He tilted his head slightly in response to Wanda's raised eyebrow, in a motion he hoped she'd interpret as, Might as well keep it quiet.

(It wasn't really about the timeline. The timeline was out of whack already, just by dint of their all meeting each other. They could try to minimize the damage, sure, but they'd each already disappeared from where they were supposed to be and it wasn't clear they were ever getting back. But he thought about how brutally Steve had smashed the mask of the armor, how the last words Steve had ever said to him had been screamed at that frowning metal face, and thought it might be nice to take a break from being Iron Man for while.)

"So, this should be fun," Tony said, because the silence was stretching out and he didn't like that. Too tired to figure out the best course of action, his head still throbbing dully, he said the first thing that came to his mind. "Tell me, Wanda, has it been all naked karaoke for you since you've been here? Should Cap and I plan on joining in?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve watched as the woman, Wanda Maximoff as she introduced herself as, had a silent conversation with Mr. Stark. Clearly they are old friends, to be able to read each other so well. Wanda had said she was an Avenger, which was odd. Mr. Stark had already introduced him to all the Avengers. Mr. Stark wasn't calling her out for lying, and for the moment Steve let it rest as well. She had also called herself a Mutant, which Steve wasn't exactly sure what that was. Still she wasn't an immediate threat, and that was good for Steve to relax for the moment.

Besides he had other, more important questions, like who was this Clint person? And what weren't Miss Maximoff and Mr. Stark not telling him? They were very clearly keeping something from him, they way their eyes darted to each other faces, and some sort of understanding passed between them. Were they not telling him because they didn't trust him? Or was there something more sinister at play? Steve trusted the Avengers because they had given him a home when he had nothing, but Steve had no patience for secrets or lies.

But that was a quandary for a later time. For now he put on a polite smile. It was the bland type of smile that he deployed for politicians and reporters. It was the type of smile that gave the impression that he was a good lad, but lacking in the brains department. No need to let them know about his burgeoning distrust of them. "Pleasure to Meet you Miss Maximoff. I didn't realize there were more Avengers that I hadn't met yet."
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Tony might see the innocence in Steve but he'd been older mentally and physically the the super solider when they met, Wanda though had been barely 17 when she'd met him, only a year or so out of the ice, and while she'd respected the hell out of him..she'd also seen all the amused hidden looks as he felt with people underestimating the ‘old man’.

Really Tony? She managed to refrain from rolling her eyes, the flattened out lips and twitched eyebrow would have to communicate her displeasure with this plan. Because keeping secrets is a perfect way to start off with this Steve.

Wanda sighed, he however had her trust and she'd followed him for long enough to give him this one.

..she'd just argue with him later.

Wanda’s civilian skirt swirled around her legs, reforming in a welter of scarlet sparks. “Time travel Steve.” Wanda smiled at him commiserating, “i'm from twenty or so years in your future, Tony is ten ahead. I don't become an avenger in your timeline for..about a year or two?” She glanced at Tony for confirmation, she was pretty sure on that.” He was going to figure out damn quick something was up and she was more for brute force honesty than tiptoeing around, because Tony might have forgotten how smart the First Avenger might be but she sure as hell hadn't forgotten who taught her tactics and how to observe.

“It's a crazy crazy mixed up world.” She snorted, “and for once not my fault.” She glanced at Tony needing to defend herself from the likely assumptions he was making.

“Wanda please, I know you haven't met me before but from my perspective we are very old friends. You trained me in hand to hand, tactics, strategy…” wanda’s eyes softened. “Always defended me.” He had been one of the few she found out later when she had the mind too that had objected to putting her down.

Her hand brushed over his arm, hoping he'd forgive the instinctive touch, “supported my decisions.” Her marriage to Vision...the twins.... “And...thank you Steve. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to tell the version of you in my timeline..so thank you in advance for always being a stalwart friend. seeing past who my family is, and only judging me on me.”

Tony’s quip drew a pained snort from Wanda. “Oh like I haven't caught you doing worse!” Oh really tony stark? Wanda sashayed up to him, challenging amused light brightening her eyes. “You know Tony, I've got ten years on you. Who says we haven't done that together?” She purred.

Wanda was holding back from laughing though force of will, she and Tony...from her perspective and since most of those good memories had happened in the first ten years or so hopefully form his as well- had more of a ‘bro ship’ than anything resembling romance. They had always been with someone when the other was single..so there just had been less tension between them than say her and Clint. Plus they both casually despised the others chosen discipline for not making any damn sense.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

As Wanda rolled her eyes, Tony caught a glimpse of the shrewd expression on Steve's face that said he'd caught more of the silent exchange than Tony had intended. Not surprising, given how perceptive Cap had always been. (Later on, he'd been able to read nearly every microexpression that crossed Tony's face, no matter how well he tried to hide them.) Still, Tony could see little reason to share the information. When (if) Steve did return to his own time, it would be better that he didn't know his new friend Iron Man was a rich civilian with a heart condition and a drinking problem--not that he'd admitted it then. It had taken time to built trust and to show Cap and the others that Iron Man was a worthy Avenger. There was no telling how any of them would react, before they really knew him, if they were to learn about how many shortcomings he had outside of the suit.

Cap smoothed his face into an innocent, "who me" expression as Wanda explained, describing all Steve had done for her. The words brought with them another rush of memories. They'd been through so much together--all three of them. "We were friends too," Tony added to Steve, before wincing slightly at having used the past tense. Not inaccurate, but it might raise some other questions he had no desire to answer. He forced a small smile and pivoted to Wanda.

"I have been caught doing much worse. Never with, uh, Thor's helmet, though," he admitted, his smirk growing a little more genuine. "Well, as far as I know. Is that what I have to look forward to?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Time travel. Of course, just when he thought he was getting the hang of the future someone throws a curve ball like that at him. Would he ever get the hang of this crazy new world? The only thing that made things a little better was that Mr. Stark was also out of the loop. How odd that Wanda was the eldest among them, she certainly didn't look her age. Not that Steve could judge there. Steve wondered exactly what her super powers were, and then wondered if it would be rude to ask.

His polite smile turned genuine as she talks. He had no reason to trust her. She was, after all, a stranger to him, but he found himself trusting her anyway. It sounded like they had a great friendship. Too bad that thanks to this time travel mishap he had missed out on twenty years of it before it even began. Was it possible to mourn the loss of a friendship that didn't technically exist? The sharp pang in his chest at the thought that he would never have the chance now to teach her tactics and battle strategy now said it was possible.

"It sounds like we were very close Miss Maxi...Wanda. I'm sorry I missed out on it." Steve said.

"We were friends too." Tony added. The use of the word 'were' immediately stood out. Did they have a falling out in the future? Did he die? Steve wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer to that. Before he could ask him, Tony moved the conversation along. Steve would have to corner him later to get the full story.
Marvel-616-1

72 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Wanda’s eyes flicked between the two men, finding herself in a role more suited to Jan, Wanda looped an arm around each man's smiling brightly. “Not yett!” She sing songed speed bumping Tony’s tongue slip. “But I knoooowww things! Including-” she lead them down the hallways towards the common room through what by the time she'd left the Avengers on her walk about was commonly called the wall of shame, featuring clippings of the various (comic) failures of the members printed and framed for posterity.

One of which she was fairly certain had not happened for this Tony yet.

“This!” Wanda fairly bounced in place eyes dancing as she presented the Bugle clipping of Tony and Hulk walking naked through midtown.

“Are.” She whispered hip checking Tony lightly, eyes flicking between him and Steve to make her inference perfectly clear. “Are tony.”

Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony started laughing despite himself. Strolling naked through midtown was, at this point in his life, far from one of the most embarrassing things he'd ever been caught doing. Well, maybe not far, but still. On the other hand, the twin expressions of horror on his face and the Hulk's face said something entirely different.

It also sent an odd jolt of hope through him, even as his laughter died down. A wager gone wrong... the only way that was possible was if he was on good terms with the Avengers again. Probably not Director of Shield anymore, since he was pretty sure Hill would literally skin him alive for pulling a stunt like that. After so many months of seeing no end to the pain and drudgery and grief, well, maybe he'd miscalculated a little.

"Are," Wanda said, swaying into him gently. Well, that meant something too. He swallowed, glancing at Steve, not wanting to give away what had happened but at the same time wanting Wanda to tell him everything. Areimplied that not only was Steve alive, but that against all odds he'd forgiven Tony.

Tearing his eyes away, he grinned at Wanda. He could find out later exactly what had happened. "I stand by what I said," he joked. "Thor's helmet? Really?"