Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 572
Jaya was sitting at the corner of the bar, keeping an eye on what was going on, and who was coming in. The female who entered was notable both because of her sex and the fact that she was acting like someone who was there for business, rather than pleasure.

If she was there for business, then she was someone Jaya needed to talk to. Not that Jaya had any objection to people doing business of their own at the Green Goddess, but she did like to know what the nature of the business was, and to get a cut of the business, or some kind of benefit.

"Hello." she said, as the female sat down next to near her "I'm Jaya. Welcome to the Green Goddess."
Shadowrun-Tabletop edition

57 Posts
4 Threads
Job: "Travel Writer" (Smuggler)
Ship Status: N/A (looking?)
Sexual Orientation: Yes.
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 172
Queth glanced around quickly, mentally scanning and memorizing all of the potential exits, out of sheer force of habit. She walked up to the bar, counting her own steps and planning specific escape routes, including but not limited to how many rounds she might need to expend to get through it.

She saw- and then dismissed the green woman she was sitting nearby. Just as she had done with everyone else in the room. The smuggler had come here for business yes- but she found that observation was often an important place to start. As it was, she was about to raise her hand to flag down someone who could supply her with a drink when the oddly coloured female spoke up.

Glancing over at her, cyber eye first, Queth took barely a millisecond to realize that no- there was almost certainly not a weapon concealed in this woman's... The smuggler was inclined to call it lingerie but obviously this exotic woman considered it clothing.

Either way Queth was inclined to jealousy considering how comfortable the green lady seemed in so little. She herself was metal and scars so tended to be less confident without complete coverage.

"And here I thought you must be the Green Goddess." The elf said, feigning charm to appear less threatening. She offered her left hand to shake- the silicon on her right usually stood up to visual inspection- but rarely stood up to physical feedback. "I'm Teddi. Nice to meet you." Queth dropped a wink just to make her faked flirtation more clear- even if she was in reality using the movement to help her snap a capture of this other woman.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya was dressed in a little bit more than the traditional bra-top and hip-wrap of Orion slave girls, but only a little more, and most of her skin was exposed. This didn't bother her at all-Orions were not prudish about their bodies in general, and she'd become very comfortable with flaunting her's.

As she approached, she noticed a bit of hostility from the female, but that wasn't especially unusual. Females of other species often did display hostility towards Orion women. Probably because they knew that, if it came down to a competition for any males in the area, that they would lose.

"That honor belongs to another." Jaya said, with a slight smile. She shook the female's hand- noting the differences that marked her as being something other than Terran. "Its good to meet you as well. What brings you here?"

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth smiled- even though it made her skin stretch in a strange way she wasn't fond of. The expression was supposedly one that went with charm- but whoever said it used more muscles to smile than frown must have been correct since her face was already filling with twinges of pain.

She added in a laugh to continue with the charade. "Surely there can be two." She said about her not being the Green Goddess. She shrugged about her presence. Now would be the time to see how well this woman had actually read her.

Because obviously she had, considering she was asking why Queth was there- instead of assuming she was there for enjoyment.

"Oh- I'm just new to the- ah- universe I suppose, and I'm looking around." Her smile quirked slightly even as she flagged down the bartender for a drink. "The Green Goddess seems to me to be one of the more interesting areas so far- though I did get into a brawl outside of a different establishment... that was fun." Queth remarked with a chuckle.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Perhaps." Jaya said, acknowledging the compliment, and noting that the female thought that flirtation was the appropriate mode of interaction. Idly she wondered if that was because the pointy-eared female enjoyed coupling with other females, or if she was assuming Jaya did for some reason.

"Place between universes." Jaya corrected. It was an unimportant piece of information, and one that the female would no doubt discover eventually on her own. "Thank you. I've worked hard to make it interesting." she smiled slightly "We don't have much in the way of brawling, so you'll have to look for that amusement elsewhere. Here, we offer a variety of delicious and intoxicating drinks, and a variety of delicious and intoxicating companions. Both males and females, depending on your tastes. Or we also offer meals, and the pleasure of watching the dancers, if your preferred amusements don't involve coupling." she looked at Queth, and raised an eyebrow "That is what we have to sell. Now, if you're interested in selling, or you want to use to Green Goddess as a place to do business, I'm glad to negotiate that as well. I don't care if what you're selling overlaps with what I sell, but I will ask for a larger cut in that case."

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth's faked smiled dropped from her face to be replaced by a languid smirk. "Are my intentions so obvious to read?" She said, leaning on her palm as she regarded the other woman. The elf quickly scanned her environment again to adapt her escape plans to the changing conditions as people came and went.

With a small shake of her head to help return herself to topic she looked back at the bar. "The only thing I'm here to sell are my services for the time being." Queth acquiesced. If Jaya was alright with her doing business here- then she had no reason to pretend to be doing otherwise.

"It seems to me that not much is frowned upon in the hub- But I'm getting quite skilled at moving things in and out of worlds." The smuggler took the moment of drink delivery to reorganize her train of thought before continuing. "Intoxicants, People, Information. For the right price I'll fetch anything." Queth sipped the drink in her hand before turning to the other woman.

With a shrug for elaboration she simply added on. "I'm a smuggler. Trying to find some clients in the Hub."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"They are if you know what to look for." Jaya replied "You're too nervous to be here for pleasure, so business was the obvious conclusion."

Jaya listened to what the woman was describing, thinking that she might be a good source, if she was reliable. "In that case, I think I know what I would ask in exchange for you using this place to meet clients and make exchanges. I need a few specialized parts, or the materials to make the parts, but its proving difficult to find a world with a high enough tech base to provide them. Do you know of anyplace that might be worth checking?"

"I think you'll find that the Hub is an excellent place for that sort of commerce. Though 'smuggling' doesn't have to be involved, unless you like making dangerous runs into other universes. The rocks of one universe are often the diamonds of another."

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth acquiesced that the way she maintained her position was less than carefree and proper form for enjoying a strip club. "I'd argue that I was tense rather than nervous but you may be reading me better than I can."

She raised an eyebrow with interest at the other woman's offer. "Actually." Queth said thoughtfully. "I can think of a few worlds that would probably work. My own included- mine may not have the same polymers necessarily but if you can provide schematics then even if we don't have it, I know of several people who can fabricate it. I haven't had a good chance to get in depth into what all the other worlds have to offer but I'm sure I could find your parts."

The corner of Queth's mouth quirked. "Though obviously past that point I expect payment. Of course only after I complete the set of things you're looking for now." She commented, raising her drink in a salute before tipping it back.

Queth grinned at the second comment. "Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose you know anyone else who has a specific shopping list that they haven't managed to fill." She said with a bit of a laugh, surprised with herself for her humour.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Tense, then." Jaya replied "I haven't met many members of your species, please forgive me if I make mistakes." at least, she assumed that the woman was the same species as Arjay, even if she clearly came from a world with a much higher tech base. "I can get you some schematics for one of the parts, I'd rather not do a large order until I can be sure of quality." she said.

"Payment can be managed. Would you prefer precious metals, technology, magic or the services we offer here?" Jaya said, smiling at her new business associate.

"I don't know of anything specific." Jaya said, shaking her head "Unless you count the yellow haired girl from a very low tech universe who is trying to recruit people from some sort of magical quest."

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth chuckled slightly. "No worries- I was just being pedantic." She remarked- though she gave an appreciative nod regarding the schematics. "Of course. Does your world use USBs to store information yet? Or do you rely solely on wireless data transfer?"

She figured given the nature of the items she ought to put that one into the secure sector of her head. She'd get a wireless transfer if needed and then put it onto something solid so she could get it through the hard transfer point at the base of her skull.

The elf contemplated the thought of payment before offering. "I'm inclined towards technology or magic, but I tend towards a case by case basis and it won't be relevant until I've delivered on the promised goods." Queth said, cracking her knuckles with a smirk that spoke of her confidence to do so.

She quirked an eyebrow though. "You're the second person who has spoken to me of that specific meeting- I suppose I ought to check it out." The smuggler offered around a swallow of her drink.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"We use isolinear chips." Jaya replied "The concept is similar to USBs, although I believe that the largest USB can only handle about two terabytes. Wireless transfer is simpler, but less practical when you have to transfer large amounts of data over interstellar distances." she smiled "which is a pointlessly complex way of saying that I can get the information to you in whatever form you find easiest.

"Fair enough." Jaya replied "We can decide on a fair price, but I can be more generous if you are accepting something in payment that I don't have to get from somewhere else." not to mention the fact that, given the ability of the Hub to produce food and shelter, the overhead was rather low. Rather than paying for the raw materials, you were paying for the artistry used to make them into something extraordinary.

"If you are looking for adventure, it might be interesting." Jaya replied. "Personally, I have enough adventure here."

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth cursed under her breath before letting out a sigh. "I knew it was too much to hope that your world still had USBs." She let a rueful smile curl on her lips. "My world went heavy into wireless transfer to compete with our magicians who can connect mentally over pretty significant distances. Unfortunately solid transfer is still more secure."

The smuggler swept her curtain of hair to the side, enough that the metal edge of her implant was clear against her neck. Pushing a sliding piece out of the way she deftly plucked the end of the cord and pulled it out far enough for the business woman to examine. "There's actually a different one I'd use for this- that is intended solely for ah 'sensitive' information- but this is the status of physical connectors in my world. Unless you have something that can connect to this." Queth mostly resisted the urge to pout, though a small downturning of her mouth was clear. "I doubt it though. This tech has remained more or less the same in the 60 years I've known it."

Queth let out a small chuckle. "Similarly if what you need is something I know where to find or I can get in my own world, chances are it'll cost less." She said with a half shrug half nod to her own comment.

"Adventure is always good. You can only do the same thing for so long before it gets boring." Queth remarked dryly, thinking of the day she had considered becoming a cop to break the tedium. (A thought that broke it's wings before it could fly.)
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I haven't heard of that technology." Jaya replied, which didn't mean much, across universes. It could be that it was a technology that had been abandoned long ago in her universe, or had never been developed, or was simply known by a different name.

She examined the physical connector, "I've not seen anything like it, but if we go to Doctor McCoy, he may be able to help us work out something that can upload the data without causing problems. Is your brain partially artificial as well?" It was something that was rare in her galaxy, and she wondered how it would work.

Jaya nodded, acknowledging the point. They were both aware of how business worked, which was good. It meant that doing business would be easier.

"As you say." Jaya replied "Personally I prefer to do similar work in different places."

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth nodded vaguely at the comment about USBs. It seemed fair to her considering the things she had seen in worlds that were similar to where hers had diverged from. It seemed to her that most of the worlds which didn't suddenly get hit with magic, jumped to wireless a lot faster than hers had.

She hummed slightly. "That depends on how you define my brain. I haven't had any parts removed or replaced- but I've certainly had it augmented- including processors to help split my attention between things, and some that I can relegate background things to. You know- like blinking, processing sound. Those kind of things." She offered in explanation of her implants. Letting the cord loose from her fingers to respool itself, Queth pulled her hair up higher so the other woman could see the three different connectors at the base of her skull.

"But then I'm nearly half artificial so I'm probably a bit more metal than most that you'll find- even from my world." The elf offered with a fluttered wink of her artificial eye, as the aperture flicked wide open and closed just to show off. Usually people reacted more dramatically to her cyborg nature- and if she was going to be doing business with this woman, chances were she'd realize Queth's nature at some point or another.

The comment about working the same job- Queth chuckled slightly. "Understandable. I do something similar with my smuggling. Always something to do. Always a new place to go."

Subconsciously the elf relaxed slightly. With a smirk she continued."If you want to beam me that schematic I can get right to work on tracking that down for you. The smuggler grinned before adding a remark she hadn't planned on sharing. "If we're going to consistently work together though you may as well call me Queth- or Quethadia. It's much closer to being my real name."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

Jaya observed the demonstrations, interested. Her own people were paranoid about adding technology to their own bodies, mainly on the grounds that if it could be made it could be hacked or disabled, and she couldn't imagine allowing a computer to control your basic vital functions "Doesn't that put you at risk?" Jaya asked "Or do the rewards outweigh the possible danger? Or are you able to safeguard your brain against attack?"

"New places and new people do keep life interesting." Jaya agreed, with a smile of her own. "Its one of the nice things about the Hub, so many new people, and new opportunities." Truthfully, she'd already made up her mind to stay in the Hub, after she'd payed a visit to her family and made the appropriate arrangements with the Orion Syndicate. The opportunities were simply too great to give up. They were also too great for a lone Orion to exploit properly, which was why she planning on bringing some of them back. As well as looking at the possibility of opening a portal that would be easier and safer to reach than the one that had brought her here.

"I'll send you a copy in just a moment." Jaya said, accepting the PADD that copy-Ruvet offered to her, and tapping on the screen. "You may continue to call me Jaya" she added with a smile of her own "It is my real name." Orions only had a personal name, although they occasionally used longer descriptors, when precision was needed.

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth laughed slightly. "While I'll admit to occasionally falling into the problem of 'Stop punching me with my own arm' The only parts of my body which are wirelessly enabled are the actual data jack- to connect to the matrix- and my arm to connect to my smart gun. The rest of it is hardwired." Her mouth quirked slightly. "And anything that comes through datajack goes through a very careful testing process before I open the link between that and the rest of my tech." She remembered one time a technomancer had hacked her arm- Queth had just removed it and thrown the still flexing appendage like a horseshoe around his neck.

Queth rubbed at her own neck awkwardly at the commentary about names. "Yeah- My world runs on pseudonyms. The harder it is for someone to find you, the less likely they'll kill your for pissing them off." She took a swig of her drink, noting the bottom of it very clearly. Too bad- she had been enjoying it.

She threw down a few coins she had acquired- relatively certain of their appropriate payment- though she was still writing an algorithm for monetary exchanges in the hub. "So. Shall I get you that and see you when I get back?" Queth offered with a small smile- confidence peaking through.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"That sounds rather disturbing." Jaya said, although she couldn't help but laugh at Queth's description. She nodded along with the explanation of the hardware, it sounded quite interesting, and as though it could be useful as well.

"My people sometimes use false names." Jaya replied "But we prefer to use our true ones whenever possible. Besides" she continued with a smile "most of the beings we deal with aren't terribly worried about names."

"Yes, that sounds excellent." Jaya replied "And please, let me know if you need any assistence before then." It never hurt to have someone owe you a favor, after all.

57 Posts
4 Threads
Moon

Queth shrugged. "I suppose it might be for those who are unfamiliar with the tech, but it is everyday to my world. I myself have since upgraded my firewalls to the point where only those with magical powers over technology can do much to affect me."

Queth nodded to the next comment. "Names can be used to track someone down- and there are certain magics that use names as a powerful component- Having your true name known at that point is only a danger. Only two individuals know my own- Myself, and Death." It was a bit of a lonely existence, but she was Quethadia now, Rachel may be her core being still, but that girl faded more with each breath Queth took.

Standing up, Queth stretched her lengthy arms above her head, grateful for the height of the ceilings that made that an action which didn't lead to her hitting things. She quirked her mouth into a grin and rolled her shoulder. "I would- but I won't." She said with a laugh that spoke to her confidence in herself. She nodded an acknowledgement to the transferred file before adding "looking forward to working with you." before turning and leaving the building to start her search for the object.