Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

All Accounts Posts: 914
Kaalth arrived at McCoy's clinic, carrying a box that contained the universal translator. He was a little bit nervous about having it installed, but Jaya had said that the procedure was painless, and that the doctor was very skilled.

So he tried to relax, and to focus on the good things about this. Like the fact that it would keep the problem that left him unable to speak to most of the people in the Hub. Not to mention that it would be very useful to him when he went back with Jaya to her family's home. And would make him more useful to her family. He wanted to be useful, especially if he was going to buy Nala.

The real Nala, that was. Oh, Jaya hadn't said that his wife was a construct, but he'd figured it out. Not that he minded, really. It was still good to have a wife, and it helped him get used to the way that things were in the Orion Syndicate. And to being with a woman who cared about him, and who wanted him to be happy. Who wanted to talk to him and consult with him about little matters. This gave him a chance to adjust, so that he wouldn't be hopelessly shy and tongue tied, like he'd been when he'd met the copy of Nala.

"Hello." he rumbled, as the Terran opened the door to the clinic "Jaya sent me to see you about having a translator implanted."
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Mostly Hetro
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,584
McCoy blinked at his newest patient. “Come on in.” He gestured to the bio bed. “She didn't mention meeting anyone from back home.” He opened casually grumpy, a quick scan told him he was indeed a Orion, maybe form a different universe? But STILL! A quick ‘hey! Found people from home like place’ heads up would have been nice.

“Hop up. Lemme see what you got.” McCoy held out his hands for the box, checking the model and wear on it.

“So what's your name?”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Sorry about that." Kaalth said, wondering why she hadn't said anything. It was possible that she'd forgotten to tell the guy about it, Jaya was young to be the senior woman and Kaalth could see that she was still easing into the role. Of course, it was also possible that she'd done it to see if he could handle the situation on his own. Jaya did that. So did Nala, for that matter. They were always encouraging him to be more independent, and to handle new situations on his own. It had seemed weird at first, but it made a kind of sense, if Orion slave girls were gone a lot. They'd need to depend on their menfolk to run things at least on a daily basis. "I met her right after she opened her place." Kaalth said "She hired me to bounce, and a couple of days ago I married her cousin Nala."

The scan would show that Kaalth was from the same universe as McCoy and Jaya, but perhaps that something was still off, since he'd been born several centuries before.

Kaalth climbed up onto the bio bed as requested, and handed McCoy the box. The contents weren't a make or model he'd recognize, Jaya had modified them from parts and a universal translator from another universe, but it was well made, and would get the job done. "Sorry." he said, again, then mentally kicked himself. He was supposed to be a tough guy, and Jaya had warned him that although it was ok to be polite, he shouldn't be deferential, especially not to male aliens. Hopefully this guy wouldn't care, though. "I'm Kaalth." he replied, holding out his hand, which Jaya had told him was the proper thing to do when you met a Terran.
All-All

101 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

McCoy gunted eyebrow raising at the mismash of tech in the box. The married her cousin had a skeptical eyebrow raised, he glanced up at him, “Congratulations.” That was none of his business even if he thought the practice of treating the echo’s like the original highly suspect. Cloning was illegal in the federation, for some of these reasons. And clones only looked like their originals.

These ghosts held personalities damn near indistinguishable from who they were based off of.

Setting down the translator of questionable provenance McCoy turned his attention to working up a complete profile on his new patient. “McCoy. Dr. McCoy.” Leo nodded absently at the introduction making notes in the brand new chart.

“How long you been here?”
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

McCoy gunted eyebrow raising at the mismash of tech in the box. The married her cousin had a skeptical eyebrow raised, he glanced up at him, “Congratulations.” That was none of his business even if he thought the practice of treating the echo’s like the original highly suspect. Cloning was illegal in the federation, for some of these reasons. And clones only looked like their originals.

These ghosts held personalities damn near indistinguishable from who they were based off of.

Setting down the translator of questionable provenance McCoy turned his attention to working up a complete profile on his new patient. “McCoy. Dr. McCoy.” Leo nodded absently at the introduction making notes in the brand new chart.

“How long you been here?”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Thanks." Kaalth said. He knew that Nala was a copy, which was why he was willing, even eager to head back with Jaya. But he also knew that if the copy of Nala was anything like the original, she was the one for him. In the meantime, he was learning about the way that the new world of the Orion Syndicate worked, so that when he did go back, he'd be a good husband for Nala. He got the idea that the Terran didn't approve, but that was his problem, as far as Kaalth was concerned.

"Five years, maybe a little more." Kaalth said. Time was hard to gauge in the Hub but he was pretty sure.
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

McCoy nodded, long enough than to figure out the way things worked, and if he was going into this eyes open...well none of his damn business. “No way home or don't want to go?” He asked pulling out the device at last. Sure he was no damn hopped up engineer but he'd taken his med-tech courses seriously once Jim’s damn plan to have him as CMO on his someday ship had actually seemed plausibly inevitable instead of drunk talk.

Long fingers skimmed over the device, the humm of the decontamination unit washing everything in its cleaning blue light. Hell he was sure Jaya had done her work, but HE was the one putting it into this poor guys head he was going to damn well triple check everything.
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"No way back." Kaalth replied "Near as I can tell, the portal opens up into the middle of about 50 tons of rock." even if he could go back through, there was no way of knowing if he'd go back to his own time, or if it'd be in the same future that Jaya and McCoy had come from. "I'm going to go back with Jaya. If that's cool with you. She says its your shuttle."

He watched with interest as the Terran worked. He had been told it was a simple and safe operation but it still made him nervous.
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“Humph.” He commented again, really that wasn't THAT much to drill though if they had the right equipment…

“Yeah of course kid.” McCoy responded absently, it was standard, the parts how ever were not. And he wasn't going to go shoving random bit of metal into a man's brain Willy-nilly.

“The procedure is all of five minutes kid, don't sweat it. Just making sure this is compatible with you.” He caught a glance of the sweats coming off him.

Before Star Fleet, before his divorce, Leonard McCoy had been...a pediatrician, one specializing in the few remaining genetic diseases that couldn't be cured in utero. Which meant that long before he'd sighed up to go into space like a damn fool, McCoy had been comforting scared and yes dying kids. Some of that manner remained when he saw someone trying to be brave...no matter how huge.
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"You know about mining?" Kaalth asked, raising an eyebrow of his own. He didn't know what tools the weird world of the future might bring to the table, but he did know that in his day, digging out that much unstable rock would be a nightmare, and he had no idea about how trying from his end of the portal would even work.

"I'm not a kid." Kaalth said firmly. He might be a bit younger than the Terran, but he was a grown man, and wasn't going to take disrespect from another guy. "Jaya said you knew what you were doing, and I trust her. I just haven't had stuff shoved into my head is all."
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“A little.” He pulled out a set of micro tools, running a test sequence, “Farmer, horse breeders and couple of idiots that like to play underground. Family is huge.”

Grunting in satisfaction at the results McCoy loaded up his surgical tray. Not a kid? McCoy just rolled his eyes heavenward, Jim hadn't been a kid either..in age.

“Lay down.” He ordered setting up the serialization field.

“First something to numb you out-” McCoy prefaced the hiss of his hypo. “So what you been doing for the last five years here?” He asked to get the kid talking, distracting him while McCoy opened up a flap of skin, working behind him.
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Then you know how much of a pain in the ass digging through that much unstable rock would be." Kaalth pointed out. Not to mention what it might do to the other shafts and tunnels if you didn't do it right. "You the only doctor in your family?" That was unusual where Kaalth had grown up, and from what he'd picked up, still was in the Orion Syndicate. But he'd learned different people had different ways. "You married?" he asked, to keep the conversation going. It seemed a natural enough question.

Kaalth lay down as directed, deciding that the Terran was trying to act like a father and not put him down. Which was a comforting thing, even if it was weird, coming from an alien. "This and that." Kaalth said "There's plenty of work in the Hub, hauling freight, standing there and looking scary. Roughing someone up if they've got it coming. Sometimes out of the Hub, if whoever lived on the other side wouldn't flip out when they saw green skin."
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

“Granddaddy is a doctor.” Leo nodded, “Can't say I do. Can't just shore up on the fly?” He offered, mostly paying attention to the delicate work, sure he'd heard some of his cousins complaining about their jobs but most of that had been exo-mining, a whole different scale than the old pickaxe and timbered methods.

“Was.” He humphed out. Clearly not inviting in depth questions. “You enjoying the state?”

Making agreeable noises McCoy closed the site, “ok speak Orion?” He asked stepping back, tricorder in hand. “Happy to have found an Orion woman to work for than?”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Thats good, doing the same work as the other guys in the family." Kaalth said approvingly, even though Jaya had warned him against assuming aliens were Orions with weird looking skin, he was glad to find he had things in common with McCoy. "I could, if I had help." Kaalth said "But I don't, and I don't know what'd be on the other side, even if it worked. Going back with Jaya seems like the better bet."

"That's too bad." Kaalth said sympathetically "I'm liking it so far." he said, smiling shyly "Even though she's a copy." he glanced at McCoy, a bit nervously "Don't tell Jaya I said that. I don't think that she thinks I know. And sometimes, well, it doesn't hurt to have a few things that the women don't know you know. But yeah" he smile was a bit shy "I like it. Nala is nice to me, and she's really smart too. She's even teaching me to read. I've started saving up, maybe when I get to Verex I can, y'know, buy her." he sounded embarassed and amused by the last part, he was still getting used to the idea of owning property, and pretending to own his wife still seemed absurd.

"Yeah." Kaalth said, speaking Orion as directed "Its good to be around my own." he paused, realizing that he wasn't supposed to be telling this much to a Terran "Yeah, she needs a man around the place, to keep things going."
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

Leo nodded “So got no one to go home to?” If he'd been alone..well Leo couldn't say he wouldn't take the same path. It was after all hard to refuse companionship after being alone for so damn long.

Leo saw the embarrassment and wondered at it, how recent were the changes to Orion society? “Think she's likely the same? Gotta say if it was me, I'd feel odd about leavin’ one woman for the ‘original’ version.”

Tapping on his tricorder to set his own implant on a delay, that way he could hear what Kaalth was saying before the auto translate kicked in to double check. “If you need help, can teach you to read Standard.” He offered nodding with satisfaction as he heard the echo duplicate what Kaalth was saying. “Sounds like it's working.” He smiled, a quick showing of white teeth. “Man around the house? To take care of things?”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"My family are back there." Kaalth replied "Or were back there, anyway. Jaya and I sat down and worked it out, and as near as we can figure, I was, um, born a few hundred years before her. So, since its the same universe, we think, anyway, if I go through my portal, it might be in my future, but on the Orion home world. The whole thing makes my head hurt, but anyway, it seemed better to just make a fresh start with the Syndicate."

"Copies are..." Kaalth struggled for the words "Flat, kind of. Like, you can tell they're a reflection of someone else. Even the way she smells-like, she doesn't smell as strong as Jaya does, even though she smells a lot better." cursing himself slightly as he realized that he'd revealed something, but then remembering that Jaya said that McCoy knew already "But if the real Nala is like the copy-then the real thing is the woman for me."

"Thanks." Kaalth replied "The translator thing wouldn't let me read too? Or does it only handle talking?"

"yeah, a man around. To take care of y'know. all the guy stuff."
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

McCoy’s eyebrows rose, “huh.” Was all he said, he'd easily admit that Jaya was a damn sight smarter than him in engineering and maybe even physics but that didn't sound like any other portals he'd heard of.

Yet.

Damnit. Now he wondered if their home portal was unfixed temporally, he sure as shot had no desire to come ‘home’ to a world engulfed in world war three or some distant future where his friends and family were long since ash.

“Not this model. There's no interference to your optical nerves, sound things out and it can do its job but-” he shrugged what did you expect from scavenged parts? Hell most federation translators rarely had that ability. Part and parcel of the whole stigma against technological improvements that weren't strictly necessary. McCoy shuddered at the idea of how many cyborgs would be running around if the Federation didn't carefully regulate the process to even GET those kind of parts, let alone how very few doctors out there could even perform those operations.

“So what does an Orion man do around the house?”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth didnt' know if Jaya was right nor not, but he wasn't going to argue with her, since he couldn't even begin to understand the way that portals might work. That was the kind of thing that he was glad to leave to people who were smarter, and better educated than he was.

"But you still have to know what sounds the letters make." Kaalth said thoughtfully "Yeah, maybe you should teach me then. If Nala thinks it'd be useful, anyway." she might be a copy, but she was still his wife and he should check in with her about things like this

"Around the house?" Kaalth said "um, not much. all that house stuff is something that women do." trying to make it sound like women being in charge was something impossible, like Jaya had told him to do.
Star Trek-AOS

50 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Kel

Leo’s eyebrow rose, “really? Even as a copy she makes the decisions?” That was interesting, none of his damn business but interesting.

“Than what do the men do at home?” He asked leaning back in his chair, arms crossed. “Back home we all did the chores, my grandmother would have tanned my hide if I said I was too good to do the kitchen clean up.”
Star Trek-AOS

129 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth swore to himself mentally as McCoy asked the question. Jaya had told him that he was supposed to maintain the illusion that he was a big, strong, powerful male, who, was running things simply because he was a man. Which was-Kaalth hadn't been raised to do that, and it felt unnatural. He'd been raised in a simpler time, when you didn't have to worry about giving away secrets to aliens, and everyone knew that women ran things.

"No, of course she doesn't make the decision." Kaalth said, doing his best to sound offended "She wouldn't even if she wasn't a copy. But she knows more about the Syndicate than I do, so I should ask her, to find out if learning to read Standard is a waste of time or not. Just because she's a woman, and not in charge doesn't mean that I can't ask her to tell me stuff, if I have a question." At least he hoped it was right. His mother had asked his father for his opinion about things, although no one would have accused his mother of treating her menfolk with anything other than kindness and respect. he did his best to laugh "Course, if I disagree, I'll just ignore her, right. which was a lie, and he hoped McCoy didn't pick up on that. The Nala he knew might be a copy, but she was still the woman, and it felt more natural to let her make the choices for him. Especially since he didn't want to fall into bad habits, and have the real Nala decide that he was uppity.

"Whatever we feel like." Kaalth said, trying hard to sell the illusion. Because the truth was that Orion men were responsible for the bulk of the domestic work and childcare, and duties were divided up based on what skills the men of the family had, and what needed to be done. Women pitched in, of course, but even in his day, they often traveled for business, or had other responsibilities that took them away from home.

And then the attempt Kaalth had been making at seeming like a tough, sexist, thug fell apart "I don't know what mine would have done." he said "I wouldn't have thought about not listening to her. I mean, they're women, right? I mean, yeah, sometimes my dad had to give me a whap on the head to get me to pay attention. But my mom? Or my grandma? NO way." not that she'd have asked him to help in the kitchen, as it happened. In his house, the cooking was done by his grandfather and one of his uncles, who'd messed up his knee and hadn't been able to work in the mines. They'd also been the ones who had done most of childcare, and he'd spent most of his childhood toddling around the kitchen, and helping his uncle and grandpa with the chores.