Harry Potter-Main Universe

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 310
There was one question that had been plaguing Oryn for days, one that he had needed to find an answer to: Was magic universally applicable, or would he be powerless in another world? It had literally left him sleepless for days, but when he had stepped through to this world, he’d found his powers still intact, his magic still potent. Oh, some of his spells felt like they took more out of him to cast, this was true, but that meant that he was simply going to need to be careful, to be smart about his magic, and when had he not been smart?

Still, the key was, he knew, to understand magic in other worlds. These other worlds weren’t, of course, his own, and he knew he’d be a fool to stray too far from his real place of power, but what did magic have in common in the worlds where it was prevalent? Some worlds (few, granted, but some) his powers didn’t work, he’d found that out, of course, but those where it did, he needed to understand, because what if those worlds had just learned different lessons in magic than his? What understandings of his own world’s magics might it unlock for him? It bore researching, and so he had done so. A few questions, a little digging, and he’d been set on a quest in some strange world, far different from his own, where his powers, though altered somewhat, seemed even stronger.

It was, he realized, a scene that would have been perfect for a book, or one of those muggle shows on the big vinyl wall. Here he was, in a forgotten tower, having traversed the ruins of a long-forgotten city. In the tower, there was supposed to be a treasure, including the books of a noted wizard of this world, lost to the ages. The rest of the treasure… well, he supposed that had its use, but it was the books that had decided this for him. All that was left was to climb the tower, defeat whatever was guarding it (why would it be there if there was nothing guarding it?) and escape with all of it.

One thing he’d give the people of this world: they were exceptionally good about locking their doors. Sighing, he stopped at another door, aiming his wand lazily at it. “Alohomora,” he said, lazily, and the door unlocked as all the others had. He held his hand out to grasp the door handle, then smiled, stepped back, and waved his wand sending three more neat spells at the door, discharging the electricity that was ready to electrocute him, transfiguring the poison in the trap into water, and sealing shut the spikes ready to spring out at him. He pushed the door open, peeked inside, then leapt aside, his eyes widening.

The creature was, apparently, made entirely of air, though it was shaped like a shark and swam through the air like one. Oryn dove aside, blasting it away with a spell as he rolled to his feet. A shouted spell ripped the door from its hinges, and he sent it sailing across the room to catch the shark in the mouth, halting its progress for a moment. Never one to hesitate, Oryn began chanting, swirling the tip of his wand, forcing the air in the room to begin swirling, faster and faster, until a small cyclone formed, ripping through the shark, freeing the air that constituted it from the magic binding it together like so much chum in the water, leaving only tiny bits of it that faded from sight as he watched.

“Interesting,” he mused. The creature was effective, no doubt about that, but on its own not much of a threat for a seasoned wizard. Perhaps several of them, and perhaps if he contained them in a cyclone like that… but what would he call such a thing, that tornado of sharks? Shrugging, figuring it was a ridiculous idea anyway, he moved along through the tower, wondering if anything interesting was going to present itself.
Dungeons & Dragons-Forgotten Realms

11 Posts
1 Threads
Job: Rogue/Sorceress
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Yes!
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 755
Flying was one of those things that could be done with a reason, or just because you felt like it. Being so close to so many dangerous do-gooder type people, Torynn took the precaution of making herself invisible before she went out, but when she did, oh, she’d spend a good part of the day out and about, hunting for treasure, checking the small, hidden garden of berry bushes and root vegetables, as well as her traps for game.

Today, she was bringing in a haul of potatoes, carrots, and two rabbits. Dinner was going to be fantastic tonight.

When she swooped down toward the tower, the door was open. She hadn’t left it like that; no, she’d locked the thing, and had reset the traps, too. You had to be careful with people like the Swords, and Elminster, and whatever other adventurers and rogue mages happened to be about.

All she really wanted was to be left alone.

And to make money.

There were nobler goals, sure, but she had travelled Faerun in the names of Torm, Tyr, and Helm, and tackled the Chosen of Myrkul before he could raise the dead in the forms of undead. She’d done noble. Now she wanted profit. Profit, and for people to not try to kill her on sight, but she’d settle for profit; it was easier, and far more likely.

Aw, no, poor Whisper. The elemental had come with the tower, but Torynn had made friends with the trapped creature, give it offerings of animals Torynn could lure in with the promise food, only to become food for the elemental. Whisper had been a good, faithful companion on many a too-quiet day.

And he’d been murdered by an interloping human. “Now,” she said angrily, releasing her invisibility spell as she closed the distance, “What did Whisper ever do to you, who invades our home and banishes my friend?” If the human turned, what he’d find was akin to something out of a fairytale; she had skin an almost pinkish hue of red, complete with bat-like wings, a long prehensile tail, and two small, dainty horns that curled from her forehead. And she was hissing angry over the banishment of her elemental partner.

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Oryn had expected to fight some manner of interloping creature in this tower, which he had been assured was uninhabited. Or, the source of his information had told him, if the tower had a wizard guarding it, it was of the unliving variety, which he would do the world well to rid them of and claim its prizes for himself. This girl was neither any variety of interloping creature that he could discern, nor an ancient undead wizard. She was… what was she, actually? Possibly some sort of half-breed creature, though an intriguing variety that he’d never seen before. More than likely, at least one bit of her blood, if not all of it, was unique to this world, yet another example of information he needed to have.

And, apparently, he’d irritated her.

“Well,” he said calmly, “If you must know, it tried to take off my leg, and showed every intention of wanting to eat me for progressing through this tower. This tower, I must add, which I was assured was uninhabited by anything either sentient or truly living. Obviously my information was quite incorrect, a situation that I will be discussing rather pointedly with the man who sold me the location.” He paused as he considered the ramifications. He was the scion of a noted family of wizards, and he was not a mere sneakthief. He might recover lost or forgotten treasure from some remote place, he might battle some terrible monster for its horde, but to simply come into someone’s home and take it? That was so uncouth that he couldn’t even contemplate proceeding. “I was told that this would be a forgotten tower, with a storeroom of treasure and magic lore. I assume that I was given inaccurate information on all fronts, not simply the tower’s state of habitation?”

She really was a lovely creature, when you got down to it. It was almost a shame to kill the man who had ended up setting him on the path to come across her, but that was likely exactly what he would have to do. That was a matter for later, though. For now… “I do apologize if that was your pet, though. I don’t suppose that I could make amends by means of a replacement?” As if to punctuate the offer, he flicked his wand at a slab of stone that had fallen in from the wall, transfiguring the stone into a stout, powerful-looking dog. It wasn’t a bulldog, no, he saw no purpose in keeping around one of those inbred monstrosities, but it looked like it might be distantly related to one, only with a more healthy than pure lineage.

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

In this case, Oryn wat the inter toping Creature. Torynn, however, was sort of accustomed to people (usually elves though) Assuming that due to her appearance, she had no right to any place they might decide to enter. This hardly seemed any different; she was different than him, probably of a contrasting alignment, and thus the primary right she must have was to die at his hand. Well, she hadn't died at anyone’s hands yet, and she would fight to keep up her streak of surviving.

Aw, the poor little looter had been attacked whilst coming to loot her tower? Torynn felt no pity. "well, let's consider this. You banished my sweet whisper for protecting his home from an unexpected intruder coming to take what doesn't belong to him?" she smiled to the wizard humorlessly, “We don't advertise ourselves lest some brave, morally superior heroes come to end us, looking for treasure and glory.” At the wizard's indication that there was treasure hidden within the tower, Torynn huffed a laugh. "Perhaps a thousand or more years gone a wizard lived here, and perhaps some of the dust around us were books back then, but the only things here now are what I brought in." And most of that rested in the structure below ground, not in the tower itself.

“Whisper is an intelligent, sentient creature, no mere pet.” A replacement? Did he know how to summon..? But no, he meant to conjure some sort of construct. Ah, well, still useful. “So where is it that you hail from that you'd think this tower, abandoned by the elves, would actually still hold treasure an age later?"

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Oryn, being in a new world outside his own, really had no reason to doubt anything that Torynn said, aside from his natural suspicions about everyone and everything. He had, indeed, been suspicious of the information he’d gotten regarding the tower, but he hadn’t expected his information to be this incorrect. Oryn operated on what he liked to call an Acceptable Falsehood threshold. Anyone he got information from was likely to lie about something, perhaps everything, but he was reasonably good at telling just how truthful someone was being with him, aided and abetted by legilimency. He expected there to be something off about his informant’s information, perhaps less treasure than he had been told, perhaps more danger than had been indicated, but this went beyond everything he’d expected to go wrong. Not only was the tower inhabited, but there was no treasure.

While he wasn’t going to use legilimency (yet) on this woman, who was very obviously not human and therefore may be a much different experience, he could still make a reasonable judgement on how truthful she was being. She obviously had been living here, he didn’t doubt that, and she hadn’t attacked him yet, which meant that she probably was telling the truth about there not being any treasure. However… this did not have the look of an inhabited tower. The monsters he’d had to work his way through attested to that. No… he judged that she had not long been an occupant of this building, and that perhaps she was even trying to keep her location there a secret. Interesting.

Still, when things moved beyond the Acceptable Falsehood threshold, Oryn had to consider that he wasn’t being lied to. It was, after all, completely possible for a person to simply be mistaken. His source was obviously mistaken about some things… was this woman mistaken about anything as well?

As the woman spoke to the intelligent nature of her pet, Oryn just smiled thinly and didn’t comment. How many people had he seen who considered their magical creatures to be intelligent, sentient beings? He’d gone to school with a boy who claimed his rat was smarter than the first year students, but that hadn’t stopped the rat from eating the rat poison that Oryn had taken to leaving out around their bedroom. He wagered that the very real dog now sniffing around her feet was an acceptable replacement. The thing had certainly behaved like a shark, after all.

“I come from no place that you would have heard of,” Oryn said, peering up at the ceiling as he flicked his wand in front of him, weaving a delicate protection spell. Magical threads began weaving around him, slowly turning in the air until they formed an intricate web above their heads, sensing magic instead of physical touches in the same manner that a spider web transmits physical vibrations. “I’m in this world to study its magic, and I was assured, most convincingly, that there was some to be studied in this place. My source was quite certain this tower was uninhabited and contained treasure that would suit my needs. Obviously he was wrong on one account, but was he wrong on all of them?” With a flourishing wave of his wand, he sent the web drifting up through the ceiling, the stones not hampering it at all, its further movement only shown by the movement of the magical threads still connecting the web to his wand. “They say that when something seems too good to be true, it generally is. I’ve found that the same applies when something seems too bad to be true. So let’s… see… Aha!” The magical threads began to glow as the web began to tangle around something magical, and Oryn gave the woman a cool smile. “I would hate to further impose upon your apparent home,” he said, in spite of the fact that he suspected the woman to also be an interloper of sorts, “But I’d certainly like to see what hidden magic my spell has found in the supposedly empty chambers above, wouldn’t you?”

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Really, Torynn had very little reason to lie to the wizard. And he was definitely a wizard; she could sense the difference in casting between a learned mage and the instinctive casting of a sorcerer. Her own casting was of the instinctive, natural sort, but that was not the limit of her magic, either. Being half fiendish in nature did allow her some very, very useful gifts, after all. But while Torynn didn’t lie to the man didn’t mean that she was telling him everything, either.

She had her own treasures not far from here, after all. Treasures she would fight to defend were he to decide that what was hers should be his. The fact that her appearance hadn’t startled him or caused him to issue an attack made her wonder at him, though; he didn’t seem to be an entirely unpleasant sort, even for a human, so if he weren’t evil enough to enjoy the company of fiends to be somewhat pleasant company, but not goodly enough not worry about her lineage, and he wasn’t a thief out to steal all he could get his hands on, then just what was he?

It was rarely such a simple answer as the one he gave. Just a single adventurer out to seek long lost, unclaimed treasures. Adventurers wouldn’t have paused to speak with her; they would have just hurled their spells and swung their swords at her until she fled, lay dead or dying on the floor, or had dispatched them similarly. The loss of Whisper was a sad one, but it wasn’t as though Whisper had been the best conversationalist, or an asset that she couldn’t replace, or an actual, real friend.

Who could be actual, real friends with an elemental shark?

She looked at the dog with a sigh. Humans and their dogs. Ah well, it was better than making it all up as a complete loss. Her wings shifting behind her, Torynn arched a brow at the wizard, “Aren’t you rather sure of yourself. It is possible that I do not know of the land you hail from, but I have travelled the planes, sweet mage, and I have flown from Neverwinter to The Citadel upon Thaymount. This world, and its magic, are familiar to me. You, however, are not.” She watched as he cast, and indeed, his magic was less familiar than what she would expect, but it wasn’t entirely a mystery, either. There was magic on her, of course; her swords, her own protective magics, her armor, various trinkets she carried…

His supposed location of magic in the tower earned a frown, half annoyance and half consideration, before she shrugged easily enough. Why not? She motioned for him to lead the way, “Adventures are always grand, aren’t they, though?”

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“That would be because my world is entirely apart from this one,” he answered simply. “So if you are familiar with it, I would be entirely too surprised. I certainly don’t think that anyone from my world has seen anything like you, because quite frankly, I doubt they would be able to keep quiet about someone that interesting. But, ah, of course… I suppose that if magic is familiar to me, there would be ways to keep us from noticing your more obvious noticeable qualities, wouldn’t there?” Magic did always make things more tricky, which in turn made life more interesting, as far as Oryn was concerned.

The fact that she had magic on her wasn’t really a secret to Oryn. Had he wanted to rob her… well, that would be entirely counterproductive, wouldn’t it? He could do it, of course, but was he a thief? Of course he wasn’t. He was a wizard, he held the power to alter reality to his whim in his very blood. Acting as a bandit striking against lone women was entirely beneath him. People like him had minions to do that sort of low work.

She wanted him to go ahead, which meant one of two things: Either the cache (if that’s what it was) above them was something she hadn’t herself discovered, or it was a trap. Her expression didn’t even help him decide, really. There was a touch of irritation in the turn of those pretty lips, and that could either be because he’d struck upon something she didn’t want him finding, or because she didn’t like that he’d found it when she hadn’t. Either way… he supposed that onward was the only direction. “Oh, not always. I’m sure that some end rather anticlimactically. This one, though, has already turned out far too eventful to be that.” Then, never one to let a lady down, he ascended the stairs with the intriguing winged woman in tow.

The room at the top was, as she’d predicted, bare of anything that had survived the ravages of time, which made him pause, considering the spell he’d cast. The tugging had come from a specific side of the spell, and taking into account the turn of the stairs and how it had changed his position… Frowning in concentration, Oryn strode to the far side of the chamber, circling a particular spot, then held out his wand, tracing a circle in the air with it as he murmured a spell. Dust and sand were drawn from the floor in a steady stream, coaxed and guided along by the tip of his wand, and sent streaming out the window, leaving them with a clear floor to look at. He knelt down, examining one particular, strangely-shaped stone, the one that didn’t seem to fit the normal lay of the stonework, and tapped his wand to it. The results were explosive, as the magic laid upon it surged out, probably meant as a trap for those who didn’t properly activate it, but Oryn had been expecting something like this. Even as he took two quick steps back, he waved his wand, countering the surge of magic, chanting quietly as he guided the energies with the tip of his wand, holding them in place by sheer force of will. The explosion seemed to implode in upon itself, then twist around into a spiral of mystic force. It flattened, expanding into a kaleidoscope pattern of swirling shapes, slowly taking on the more distinct form of lines, until with a final slash of his wand, they resolved themselves into a portal. “Ah, there,” he said, smiling in self-satisfaction as they looked through the hole in space. The glitter of gold was easily seen, though he was sure there was more to it than just money. Right now, the woman’s reaction would tell him whether this was a trap or a legitimate discovery, and he wanted to know that before he set foot through that portal.

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Torynn smiled at the statement of fact. An entirely different world… Where her kind weren’t known, and thus perhaps not automatically hated. There was a very specific draw to somewhere like that. To have the ability to be herself and not be so harshly judged (attacked) was one of those things that most people too often took for granted. “Well naturally. Otherwise you tend to run into problems.” Her tail swished lazily behind her, “But it’s awfully nice to not need to use magic and disguises, isn’t it?”

Could Oryn rob Torynn? He might have confidence that he could indeed do so, but Torynn was equally confident that she could stop him should he make an attempt. She had adventured for decades with her… Friends… And knew how to steal as well as prevent such robbery.

She couldn’t help the irritation at the wizard’s success in locating magic here in this old, nearly crumbling tower. She called it home, for the moment at least, and she had combed over it briefly before settling into it and working to connect her own tunnels and vaults to it, but she hadn’t found this magical...whatever it was. “A disappointing adventure…” she mused at the idea, shaking her head, “I’d think the blame for that would be unimaginative adventurers.” She followed him, wings pressed tightly against her back, though they twitched at the sight of the window, “How many floors up did you say we need to go?” When he answered her, she grinned with unmitigated amusement and dived through the opening, choosing to avoid the rather more cramped staircase and meeting him on the appropriate landing via flying outside, around the tower, staying close in case any eyes might be on them, but she’d had to kill several gargoyles when she’d landed here the first time; the denizens of the woods and villages near enough to the tower were accustomed to see winged figures flying around the tower, making the risk minimal. And it felt so very good to stretch her wings for a moment.

She climbed in through the window in the chamber he stopped at, falling back into place behind him, head tilted as she murmured under her breath a spell that allowed her to see magical essences visually. She knew what to expect when he tapped the stone with his wand; the elven mage who had built and inhabited this tower an age before was the sort to trap everything lest his curious little pupils take whatever they could find and spirit it off. Lest the more skilled of those ‘pupils’ find what was rightfully theirs and take it back.

When Torynn saw the portal, she gasped, a much happier sound than Oryn might have expected, “Oh, Paeris, I’ve finally found it you nasty old elf!” She darted through the portal with a gleeful laugh, calling back to Oryn, “Well come on then, we’ve found the old bastard’s treasure trove! There’s a staff… It’s mine! So claim something, Wizard!” Torynn didn’t pretend to be anything less than delighted, not at the idea of finally having her own staff back. There was really little that was truly special about it other than that it was hers, stolen by a jealous elven wizard an age and a half ago, leaving her without her own creation. The treasure was large, but it was finite, and certainly large enough to split between them.

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Apparently, the girl hadn’t come here randomly after all. So the mage who left this tower’s treasures here had had a staff that was hers? Either it was hers by inheritance, a legacy from some ancestor, or the girl, herself, was thousands of years old? There was a bit more to this woman than met the eye, apparently, and now he was hoping he’d have a chance to figure those things out.

He watched in vague amusement as she flitted out the window. His spell had revealed the location of the room at the top of the tower, so while she flew and frolicked, he disapparated, reappearing at the top of the staircase, waiting for her to join him again. Always let them have their fun… unless their fun got in the way of whatever plan was going on, that was what his mentors had taught him. Right now? What could the harm possibly be?

He was more than a little curious about the staff she was claiming here. Oh, he really didn’t have any covetous feelings over it, she could have her staff, but he wondered if he’d have a chance to study it at some later date. In the meantime, though… He opened his shoulderbag, the one that he’d put an undetectable extending charm on to make it much bigger on the inside. The locals here had named it something, a Bag of Holding, probably a reasonably common and similar item on this world, but he didn’t care what anyone called it, so long as he could fit the treasure inside. A wave of his wand and a summoning charm brought the gold (well, half of it, at least) streaming into the bag while he started looking over the other items that were there. He sent all of the spellbooks into the bag along with the gold… they were books, after all. If she wanted anything in them, they could make copies, either for him or her, he really wasn’t particular.

Of the rest of the items, well, some of them he could definitely bring home with him. He could see a few swords that looked likely, and weapons like that were still reasonably commonly held by some of the older families, and even used from time to time. He found a few rings, a few amulets, sending each of them into the bag with the rest, making sure to leave enough for the girl to claim. He wasn’t going to be greedy here… there was enough in this trove for them to grab whatever caught their eye, from what he could see.. He caught ahold of a thick, ornate rod as it sailed by, studying it for a moment as he worked out how to use it. “Well, my dear, the treasure is found and you’re now much more wealthy than when the day began. I’m forced to ask… what now? Are we about to part anonymous strangers, or are you tired of hiding in abandoned towers with its inhabiting monsters for company?”

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Torynn did very few things randomly. She had come here, to Paeris’ tower with a purpose; to find her staff. She didn’t forget slights, and the wizard Paeris had delivered one when he had stolen what was hers, claiming it as his own creation, regardless of the obvious fact that it was hers, that her magic colored the thing from tip to end. The beechwood staff was almost satiny to the touch, but sturdy, and she gave a relieved sigh when she picked it up. A quick kiss to the wood and a murmured, “Miss me?” and then she attached it to her back to the clasps there meant to hold such a staff before she moved on, picking out the items of her choice.

She picked up rods and wands, a few scrolls, a goblet. And like Oryn, she moved on to jewelry, picking items she could see contained magic, and those that didn’t that still caught her eye. The entire time she made sure she only took her own portion of what was there, leaving Oryn his own half to claim. After the first few items went into a bag, she opened another and summoned an invisible servant to move her share of the coin and mundane objects into the second bag of holding; she wasn’t going to cheat her new acquaintance, but neither would she leave anything behind that she could take, either.

It had taken more than an age, but she’d finally won. Paeris was dead and she had her staff back. Thanks to this strange wizard from another world.

He was an interesting puzzle, too. “I’ve no real reason to stay in this specific place now.” she spoke the words with a carefree shrug. “I like it here, but it’s not a welcoming place.” Not for people like her, not so close to Shadowdale and Myth Drannor. Elves and goodly folk, they thought that because of her parentage they could judge her. That she didn’t deserve to live just because she happened to have a demonic parent. Well they could just all rot in the Abyss, now couldn’t they? Indeed they could.

Still, this wizard seemed affable enough. He hadn’t tried to gobble up all of the treasures, or even claim more than his half by saying that it had been his magic that had found it. He hadn’t tried to argue her ownership of the staff, either, which was a relief. “Now what is…” Torynn shrugged, “I’ve spent the last few years looking for my staff. Paeris was a jealous old coot, taking it the way he did… No honor at all. I haven’t any plans on what to do now that I’ve gotten it back.” It was the truth; she had left her friends to regain what had once been hers, and now… Now she was at a bit of a loss. “Were you looking to travel my world? I’ve been many places, as I said. Some are more friendly to my kind than others, but I don’t have to look like this.” She gave him an easy smile and gestured, her form sliding into that of a human. “People tend to be more comfortable with someone who looks like them, don’t they?”

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Ah, of course. The rod was wielded much as one might a wand, but for a particular effect. He would need to work out what the trigger to activate it was, but he would work it out eventually… probably sooner than later. Into the bag it went, with several more objects following it, stopping whenever one seemed to catch the woman’s eye, as if to ask her if she’d wanted it, before either continuing into the bag or falling aside to join the rest of the unclaimed treasure. The fact that she had a similar bag to put her new treasure into was interesting, and was yet another thing he’d have to examine later. Here was an example of magic that was common to both worlds, and it could give him some insight into where their magics converged and diverged.

“Well,” he said, considering her supposed predicament as she laid it out. No plans, and in an unfriendly area? The situation seemed to write itself. “I suppose I would like to see what this world has to offer, at some point at least,” he said. “For now, though, I have more than enough study to get on with… I do so hate being somewhere where I’m surrounded by things I incompletely understand. Quite a nuisance, and it tends to leave one at a disadvantage. On the other hand, if this land is so hostile to you as you are, perhaps it’s I who should be extending the invitation?” She was right, people did tend to like things that looked like them, and that extended to his world as well. What did he think of that sentiment, though? “People tend to be tedious and lacking in both courage and imagination,” he said with a calm disdain. “I can’t say my world is different, but these two worlds don’t exactly encompass all options, now, do they?” She had talent, that much was obvious, both natural and learned. What surprises did she have that he hadn’t even guessed at yet? “I rather think that you should come with me. Why settle for one world when we could take our pick among all of them?” The statement was vague, yet just intriguing enough that any curious mind, which he judged hers to be, might not be able to resist seeing what he meant.

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Torynn wasn’t… Oh hell, okay yeah, she was greedy. But she was also fair, and had learned a sense of honesty from her friends as they had traveled and fought and quested. Adventuring parties tended to share better than most siblings, and that had been true of Torynn with Whitefyre and Ivellios. She had shared more willingly with the human and the drow than she had ever shared with any of the other Fey’ri or elves that she had grown up with. Funny how that was. This was much the same; they had found this treasure together, and Torynn was glad to share it equally. So when she saw something she truly wanted, she took it, and kept an eye on what he seemed to desire. And when he asked if she wanted something, she made a judgement call about it. Sometimes, a lot of the time, she’d agree that yes, she was interested in it, but sometimes she’d just shake her head and move on, letting him keep whatever little treasure he’d found.

She tried not to be too greedy. There was plenty here, more than enough for them to share and both walk away happy, right? Right.

An invitation? No one, not even Ivellios had extended an invitation to her to join them in their homeland. No one. She was half demon; people didn’t ask those with demonic heritage to accompany them into their home plane where who knew what havoc a Fey’ri could wreak. And yet, that was precisely what this wizard was doing. “People tend to be many things,” Torynn said carefully, “And very few of what they are happen to be entirely pleasant to outsiders.” He wasn’t speaking of his home world, she realized, he was speaking of traveling the planes. And wasn’t that a tempting proposition?

Her lips curled into a smile as he spoke of taking their pick of worlds, and she tied the bag of holding shut and attached it to her belt with a nod, eyes promising adventure and mischief. “I think it would be a rather silly woman to turn down an offer such as that.” She headed toward the exit of the now empty treasure room, “You’ll let me collect a few of my things before we head off into the unknown, won’t you? I wouldn’t like to leave unprepared.”

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Greed, to Oryn, was a quality only expressed by smaller, lesser people, not those of the caliber that he associated with as… well, close, at least, to equals. It was the sort of quality that an underling had, a hireling who thought to take more than was his due, who had insatiable desires that outstripped his usefulness. To those of his caliber, and yes, he believed that Torynn might be of that caliber, although the matter had not yet been settled, there was only ambition. Oryn Vance was a very ambitious person, but he was patient, and he was intelligent. He knew well from his youth how something that seemed of infinite importance in the moment would appear inconsequential in a week. In a week, if he still wanted something that Torynn had taken… well, that was a matter for next week.

“What’s an outsider?” Oryn asked, and this time he seemed excessively amused. “I tend to find that it means someone whose ambitions don’t line up with what they’re entirely comfortable with.” And, of course, that fit ruthless wizards as well as it fit those whose nature they didn’t care to associate with, because sometimes, cohabitation was quite an ambition as well. “I also tend to find that eventually, they can be taught the error of their ways, much to their regret.”

His offer had her, he could see that at once. “You certainly don’t seem like a silly woman,” he agreed, offering her his hand to take hers and give it a very polite, oddly dangerous kiss. “Oryn Vance, and very pleased to have you with me.” The man was cultured, intelligent, powerful, and most of all, he knew it. There was something he was planning, but what was it? “I’m in no particular hurry,” he agreed, when she asked if she could collect her things. “By all means, pack. Set your affairs in order. We’ve all the necessary time that we need. I wouldn’t worry too much, though. If necessary… you can always come back for it.”

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Greed, ambition...they were more or less the same thing, weren’t they? To Torynn, they were. Except that greed implied a problem, and ambition implied… Motivation. So yes, perhaps ambitious was the proper word for people such as them. Torynn wasn’t one to take more than she had earned, but she certainly earned her share, and then some. She also did indeed take what she was due, and woe to the person to tried to cheat her, for they would rue the day. Much as Paeris rued it when he had died all of those years ago. She saw the same trait in Oryn, of course, and while Torynn might have thought him suspicious, he hadn’t given her any reason to worry that he would cross her. Not yet.

“An outsider is someone who… Doesn’t belong? From somewhere else.” She shrugged, “You’d be an outsider here, and if we go to where you’re from, I’ll be the outsider.” Grinning, she resumed her natural form and flexed her wings, “But I think I like your definition better. She smiled to Oryn, “You,” she waggled a finger at him, “I think I like you.”

“No, I’m really not.” Her tail, which had been coiling silently behind her, reached up to caress his cheek when he kissed her hand. She could see he was planning something, but she didn’t know what, and honestly… She was curious just what this thing he was planning was. “Only what I’ll absolutely need. No reason to expend resources because I didn’t take what I knew I would need.” A few ingredients for her magic, a few scrolls and wands she took everywhere, another bag of holding just in case, and she was already wearing her arms and armor. Torynn wasn’t one to take long to break camp, and that was basically what she was doing here. “Torynn Nightstar at your service, Master Vance.”

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

And there, she’d said it. “Yes,” he said, smiling shrewdly at her. “I think I like you as well. It’s so rare to meet someone with real wit and intelligence, isn’t it?” His wand twirled idly in his hand, still resting at his side, as he considered her more closely. It was a very pleasant consideration, after all, the woman, whatever she was, was quite lovely. It went deeper than that, though. He sensed in her a mind that could be delightfully ruthless, and when was the last time that he’d been able to be ruthless with someone instead of to them? It had been ages, ever since Drake had gotten full of himself and turned against him in their seventh year. Ah, those were good days, even if they were far behind him now.

The woman really had no idea what she was getting into, coming back to the Hub with him, but Oryn didn’t think there was any way for him to convey that to her that would do the fact justice. He’d already said, in essence, what the place was that they were going to. Once they were there, she’d be able to put two and two together herself. He let his fingers pass curiously along her tail as it slipped away from his cheek. Somehow, that was the more intriguing inhuman attribute on her rather than the wings… curious. He’d have to think on that, wouldn’t he? “In just a bit, we’ll have access to resources that neither of us have ever even known to consider, my dear. I really hope that you don’t like a quiet and familiar life, because I sincerely doubt that we’re going to run out of things to see or do there.”

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

It was rare to meet someone who didn’t take one look at her and either run away, screaming and flailing or run at her brandishing a weapon. It was downright singular to find someone who could like her. Someone who she would like back, to converse with… She tried to be distant, playful without being too threatening, but people saw her and saw a demon or a fey’ri. And if they knew what a fey’ri was, well, they equated that to demonspawn. He really couldn’t know how true his words were.

He was a wizard, a human wizard. It was regrettable, how short his lifespan would be in the long term.. She had been honest when she’d told him she thought she liked him; he was accepting, taking her wings and tail in stride rather than finding them unsettling, and his mind was a keen one, something not so dissimilar to herself, if she read him right.

Head tipping to the side, she studied him a moment before her tail twitched into what could only be the approximation of a shrug, “Rare, yes. Rarer still, someone who is of a mind with myself. Who is able to keep up.” Spreading her hands, she let herself laugh lightly, “Lonely lives, ours, aren’t they, though?” She wasn’t referring to the lack of people to fill her halls, that was clear. But having no one about to simply speak with… That was a travesty that only the sharp minded and quick witted had to survive.

His fingers slid along her tail, the skin soft and supple, almost like velvet or suede, soft and smooth, and she didn’t entirely succeed in suppressing a shudder of enjoyment. Where they were going was less the point, being there… That would be a grand journey. She could always come home, she knew the spells for it, and she had never been to the place he had indicated, which only made her desire to see it, visit it, all the more. “Quiet and familiar… You mean dull and boring, don’t you? I’ve lived a life of adventure and travel, Master Vance. Boring is an old enemy, and one I would rather fend off for good if I could.” She grinned, heading down the staircase, into the below-ground levels of the tower, creating a ball of light to float above her shoulder with a quick word and gesture, “A few moments to gather just the barest of things…”

And she wasn’t kidding; she didn’t need much time; she had her haversack, a magical item crafted by an adventurer of old, already packed and ready to go, always waiting, always hoping for Ivellious or Whitefyre to return and invite her on some grand journey or adventure, a few pouches, and she strapped on a bandolier of knives, rods, and wands, and then turned back to Oryn, “Well, what say you to an adventure, my good Wizard?”

13 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

At least she looked at matters like he did, that was a pleasant thing, wasn’t it? “Yes, actually, I do mean dull and boring. And, well, safe, I suppose. Some people put stock in a safe life.” He, on the other hand, figured that if he were powerful enough, he wouldn’t need to worry about a safe life, any life would be (for him) safe. So far? He felt very safe in his life.

She packed sparingly, but that was fine with Oryn. The things she did pack, from what he could tell, were well-chosen. No matter either way, really. He’d magically removed one of his family’s smaller houses from the location it had been in, relocating it bit by bit through the portal and reassembling it on the other side in the central, ‘neutral’ part of the hub. It made him feel a bit smug to have a home that, should his world be destroyed, would still exist even if his borough (as he’d heard the natives call it) vanished. That little bit of familial appropriation had netted him quite a bit of resources and a stable home while he was plotting here. As near as he could tell, it was still Unplottable, although he still needed to test it on wizards and sorcerers from other worlds.

When she indicated she was ready, he unsheathed his wand again, holding out his hand to her. “As you like, my dear,” he said. “This isn’t the most pleasant way of traveling, but it’s only really uncomfortable the first few times. After that, the body should accustom itself to it. Take a breath now, you always want to do it mid-breath.” He pulled his arm around her waist (because really, why wouldn’t he?) and, with a turning step, pulled them out of existence.

Apparating had been described to him, once, as being forced through a small hole that you’re far too large for. Indeed, the first few times he’d done it, that had been the feeling, but he’d long since built up his own magical presence to where it didn’t bother him if, indeed, he even felt that sensation anymore. Now, his will was strong enough to force back the crushing sensation, but he wasn’t sure how much of that carried to his passenger. He wondered, even, if she’d be sick when they finished, or if that was a wholely human problem. Perhaps her nonhuman nature would protect her from all of the side effects. When they reappeared, they were standing in a cave before a portal. Oryn waited, patiently, while she composed herself however she needed, then gestured toward the portal. “When you’re ready, my dear, the other worlds await.”

11 Posts
1 Threads
Nyte

Safe. Oh, but was life ever truly safe? Safer, maybe, but never truly, fully, completely safe. “Safety is, in many ways, overrated.” Rolling her eyes, Torynn shook her head, “Safety is an illusion. Every breath, every step, every bite or drink, no matter how well protected you are, brings danger.” Not just from those who might wish to remove a person from their safe and comfortable life, either. The world was a strange, harsh, dangerous place, after all, and that was simply a fact.

As sparing as she appeared to pack, she had access to plenty. Torynn had grown accustomed to having certain comforts, and it would be a very rare thing to see her unprepared for whatever she needed. “I’m not saying safety isn’t nice, or at least partially possible, mind you,” she said as she slipped the last ring over her slender fingers, “But there’s only so far you can go with it, and really, better to be prepared and ready to face dangers as they come than try to hide from them all. Some things simply cannot be hidden from or ignored.”

When he offered to teleport them, she didn’t argue. Let another expend their allotment of magical energy for the moment, he seemed to have plenty, and while she did as well, he had made the offer, and knew where they were going. It was easy to let him take her, and she nodded at his directions; she hadn’t ever considered where in her breath a teleport took place, but his magic was, in some ways, different than what she herself knew, which meant that it was quite possible that this was important. So it was she was mid-breath, as he indicated was best, when he turned and pulled them from there to somewhere else.

It was… An odd feeling, this method of travel. It was like a lemon being squeezed, perhaps… As though a part of her, something, was lost in the transit, but when they reappeared, she was whole, missing nothing. She took a moment to release a breath and take another, slow, one back in, allowing the world to come into focus and then she smiled to him, “That, you should teach me to do.” More ways of escaping trouble quickly were always welcome. Behind her, her wings stretched out, her tail snapping out behind her before coiling at her waist as she gathered herself. “Oh, I’m always ready, my good master Vance.” She gave him a wicked smile before she walked smoothly through the portal.