Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 628
Contrary to popular belief or slander from his critics Tony Stark had a conscious, with few exceptions everything he'd done for the last five years had been driven by the need to make things better.

Tony Stark was also only human, and could be selfish as any member of that race. Last night he'd drunk deeply grasping with his body absolution, greedy with need and the desire to just once more.

He didn't sleep long.

Wrapped in Steve-(his? Oh god he didn't believe in please let him be-)

Guilt clawed over the warmth of Steve's embrace; slowly, carefully using the skills gained from a year sleeping with a super solider Tony slipped out of his hold.

Dawn was coming, a faint line in the horizon and if he knew Steve he'd be awakening with it.

And Tony needed to not be there when he did, because. Fuck if he WAS his Steve it would be almost…

Shaking his head Tony brushed aside those thoughts.

A shower, coffee, lab. Check the samples when Steve submitted them...and check the ones he'd acquired the night before, not as clear cut as CSF but might work.
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 447
Morning Afters

There were different ways to come awake after a good sleep. Steve had experienced several ways to wake up after one of those nights, the kind where you fell asleep feeling warm and safe and whole. Sometimes you came awake with a jolt. And sometimes, you could luxuriate in waking up, memories from the day before (or the night before in some certain cases like this one) coming to you in that dozy place that lay between sleep and wakefulness. As the sun rose over the city, Steve stirred, but didn’t start or jerk. The memories were good memories, the feeling of not being alone, that he and Tony could not just fix their broken relationship but build something even better over the foundation pulling a soft, quiet smile from him.

It was a long moment of peace for the super soldier before he realized something wasn’t quite right. There was something he was expecting as he woke up, something that wasn’t there that he had thought should be, or at least would be.

Tony wasn’t there. Steve’s eyes came open, focusing on where Tony had been, when Steve had fallen asleep, where he’d held the genius just a few hours earlier… The bed was cool, Tony had been up for at least a little while, then. Pushing away the hurt that he felt at the absence, Steve showered, dressed, and… Stopped with a suddenness that jarred even himself. Justin was likely still asleep; few people got up quite as early as Steve did; he wouldn’t be ready to take the samples that Tony was requesting. (When had Tony gotten up? Had the man even slept??) So then…. What was he supposed to do now? ”Tadashi?” He knew the AI was there; it was there agreement; Tadashi wouldn’t appear to Steve until Steve acknowledged him first lest the super soldier startle. His voice was, as usual, calm and neutral as he addressed his AI friend. ”When did Tony leave?”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tadashi really wanted to either smack someone or maybe have a good little cry. Honestly he was coming to realize that he'd been build to be a romantic with out the pragmatic coding completed. Which meant not exactly eavesdropping but being very aware of what had occurred the night before...well it was damn hard to appear infront of Steve with a straight face.

“A little under an hour ago, he took a pot of coffee to the roof and has been there since pretending to study the latest portal diagrams.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

Was this really what it was like to have that sort of judgemental face directed at you?

It’s called a taste of your own medicine, Steve. And boy, was it bitter. Looking a Tadashi with a small frown (the man looked almost as though he were going to start laughing at him, damn it!), Steve kept himself straight, shoulders squared, chin leveled. And along with that proud bearing was a kernel of truth, too. He didn’t regret it. Tony might, hell, his absence today might indicate that he did, but Steve didn’t. He had woken from a sleep that hadn’t been filled with nightmares and “what could have been’s” and he had smiled and… How could he regret that?

But it was possible it had been different for Tony. And Steve had to accept that, because things were different between them now than they had been two years ago, or even yesterday. ”Pretending?” Steve sighed, ”Alright, well…” Time to face the music, Rogers.

He gave Tadashi a bracing smile, then strode to the elevator, his voice as polite and respectful as ever when he spoke to Friday, ”The roof please, Friday, if you don’t mind.” His stomach wasn’t in knots. He wasn’t worried. If he pushed his nerves and worries away hard enough, they’d go away. He’d feel better once he spoke to Tony. He hoped.

Marvel-MCU-1

76 Posts
4 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

Friday had told herself she wasn't going to get involved again.

Oops.

the elevator moved half a floor before coming to a halt. “I highly suggest you have the samples taken before speaking with The Boss, Steve.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

He hadn’t forgotten about the samples, but… For Steve, speaking to Tony about what had happened, and why Tony had left as he had before Steve woke up, was more of a priority than seeing Justin. Getting home hadn’t really been a priority, truth be told, not for him. For Tony, though… Last night, Tony had said he wasn’t looking forward to going home. But that wasn’t stopping him, and it made Steve feel a flash of guilt; so much had happened.

He considered Friday’s suggestion quickly before he nodded, ”Right. Medical then, please, Friday. And thank you.”

It wasn’t a lengthy procedure, really. And it was far from the first time that Steve had had to sit still through a lumbar puncture. Growing up sick and then becoming a miracle of modern science sort of required a lot of poking and prodding. So he went, he let Justin take the sample, staying fairly quiet and always polite the entire time before he entered the elevator again some time later. Looking up toward the camera, he gave Friday a small smile that hid his nerves, ”Alright, Friday… The roof?” It was a genuine question, making sure there was nothing else that he needed to do before seeing Tony...

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

This time the AI did not stop Steve's assent.

Tony was how Ever informed of the incoming super soilder.

Tony Stark was a coward, just ask his dad.

The coffee pot was long empty, Tony's legs dangled over the edge of not his tower, watching the sun rise over an impossible city.

He didn't need to tell Friday to run the comparison once he'd seen that Steve had followed though, she knew what was at stake.

“I had a plan you know.” Probably not the best opener but fuck it. It was past time to lay the cards out. “Going to do things right for once. Dinner, flowers, classy. Pep said she'd strangle me if I didn't go through with it.” Tony turned a half smirk that didn't reach his eyes on Steve. “And than Bucky. The one guy I couldn't plan for because you made damn sure I was going to be blind sided. We were suppose to trust each other. With anything.EVERYTHING. And you? You never did did you?” Tony turned his attention to the skyline again. “And the worst thing? I can't even be angry at you, I can't ever yell at you, find out WHY he meant more to you than I ever did.”

Tony tossed the tablet at him, already knowing the results flashing in red brutal letters. “Because you're dead Steve. And I can't bring you back.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

There were so many things steve could imagine Tony saying to him. So many ways, scenarios in Steve's mind of how this could go.. He tried to prepare himself for these outcomes, hardening his heart against the possible negative results and holding out hope for the positive ones.

There was no preparing for what actually happened.

Steve listened to Tony, following what he was saying. Or at least he thought he was... Before Bucky, before the Accords... Had Tony been
planning to…

That threw him for a loop., but he didn't have time to focus, because the next thing Tony had to say was just as jarring. But Tony deserved an answer. "He was the last thing I had from my past. “The words were spoken with a gentle, almost apologetic calmness, "He reminded me
that it was all real, and I... After Peggy, Tony, I grasped onto that with
both hands. I was so afraid. Of losing who I was, where I came from."
Steve looked out at the skyline with Tony, "It was never that he meant more to me. What happened, Tony, was out of fear and desperation; it wasn't a choice. I never... It was impossible for me. I couldn't let go of him. But I didn't think I'd lose you, either."

Plucking the tablet out of the air when Tony threw it to him was easy enough; he'd been meant to catch it, after all.

Different worlds.

Steve lifted his gaze to Tony, blue eyes meet brown ones, "No.” The word came out without hesitation. "The Steve from your world is dead. Tony, and I'm sorry he is, but I am not dead. And I know," maybe not exactly, but from what he could tell that their worlds were very similar, "That he would tell you the same as I am. That he's sorry. That he never wanted to hurt you."
Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony shot Steve an incredulous look, “Really? Defending not even your self? Fine.” Tony slammed his hands down, flesh slapping against concrete lifting himself up smoothly to his feet.

“Let's play pretend.” Tony was angry, at himself, at a dead man, and at the man wearing his face. “Did you do this to your Tony too? Smile at him? Say you loved him, get him to love you so much he was actually going to propose? And than run away with a skip on your step with out a word because your old pal Buck had been spotted.” Tony stalked closer with each word. “Peggy? She was my friend too!” Tony hit his chest with his fist, “do you know what I was doing instead of going to her funeral?! Making sure that Wanda wasn't going to be sent to some LAB to strip her powers!”

Peggy Carter had been a feature of his childhood ‘Aunt Peg’ had softened his dad's obsession with Captain America into hero worship on his part showing him the man instead of the legacy with her stories.

“You never trusted me.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

”I’m not defending, Tony. I’m trying to explain myself. I’m not saying I was right; I wasn’t, I know that. And ‘I’m sorry’ doesn’t cut it, I know that too. I explained because I wanted you to at least know where my head was at!”

Pretend? Steve frowned, but listened to what Tony had to say. And what he said was… Shock, then confusion registered on Steve’s face. ”Propose??” Standing still, Steve had trouble getting past that word to register the rest, but he did manage. The hit to his chest earned a grunt, but he didn’t step back, not this time. Instead, Steve frowned at Tony, not quite a glower, his expression a mix of hurt and anger. ”We weren’t together. Friends, yes, but… You were with Pepper. I didn’t find out the two of you had broken up until after the mess with the Accords and Bucky had already started.”

”I trusted you. With my life. With the lives of so many people, I trusted you. But no, not with Bucky, I didn’t. Not with the truth. And I know that was wrong. I know that I should have, that things might have been different if I hadn’t been afraid, but trust was never one of my strong suits, Tony, and it’s not one of yours, either, because you didn’t trust me, either! You never told me about the Accords, not until Ross was walking in the door telling us we had three days to sign!”

Hurt and angry now, Steve tried to keep his voice level, but he couldn’t help the edge of hurt and anger that threaded into it, ”So last night was what, then? Revenge?” Now Steve stepped back, ”Did you know this last night? And slept with me anyway?” Maybe it wasn’t fair that he could feel betrayed. Maybe he had it coming to him after what happened in Siberia. But Steve did feel betrayed.

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Well that answered that.

Tony had suspected that this Steve and he weren't together, it still hit him like a punch to the reactor though. “Pepper and I broke up before Ultron.”

Because he couldn't put the suits down, because in the end protecting her, the world, had meant more than being her guy. “She and Happy got engaged a week ago.” Well more than that now but close enough.

“For fucks sake Steve!” Tony threw up his hands “five days!! That's how long it took them to throw that thing together and get it passed Five goddamnned days!! I was locked in cabinet meetings for a week! You were off dealing with Wanda's and the teams emotional needs and running off with Sam! I could have sent a text? Yes! But so could you!!” That had been there one problem. When out of sight and busy he and Steve both defaulted to ‘I'll talk when I see him’.

Revenge?

“I suspected.” Tony admitted. “No. It was Hope. And saying goodbye.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

Before Ultron? Steve’s face flashed with surprise, confusion, and then sorrow. ”I… I didn’t know, Tony. I thought the two of you were…” Honestly, Steve had thought that Tony and Pepper had been together right up until Tony had said that they were taking a break. Hell… ”I even asked, before things got so messy with the Accords, I thought the reason I hadn’t seen her was… I thought she might be pregnant…” He’d asked, and Tony had given him a small, sad smile, and explained they were taking a break, and Steve hadn’t known whether to be sad or relieved, and he definitely felt guilty.

Pepper and Happy? Steve blinked, then gave Tony a small smile, ”Good for them.” He could be happy for them, even while aching at the loss he himself felt right now.

Five days? Steve frowned, ”Tony…” He sighed quietly, the reached up to wipe his hand down his face, ”You’re right. I could have. And when I found out about your parents, I should have told you. When I went after Bucky, I should have talked to you. I’m sorry I didn’t.”

It sort of hurt, to think that Tony had suspected that they weren’t from the same world, and hadn’t said anything, instead choosing to sleep with Steve knowing Steve hadn’t a clue that they weren’t from the same world. The scary thing, though, was… ”I see.” He looked at Tony for a long moment, ”Did I ever even have a chance to make things right, Tony? Was there anything I could ever have done to set things right between us?” Maybe it had just been a pipe dream.

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony stared at the ghost of the man he loved and wondered where things had differed between their worlds. Had his Tony never gotten it together enough to ask him out for the best pizza in queens?

Or long before that?

“I don't think he wanted to.” The confession ripped something lose inside of him. “He wanted Bucky more than he wanted to trust me.” Love him.

Could have done? “Anything.” Literally anything, Tony was angry with betrayal but - “you just had to call.”

Tony shook his head, a sad smile touching his lips. “But you aren't him. And your Tony isn't like me. But hey-” Tony reached out to punch Steve's arm with forced friendliness, “how about we get you back to him so you can make that call?”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

This was a mess. When he’d come up here, he had steeled himself for excuses, being told last night was a mistake, or that Tony wasn’t ready for something like this. He hadn’t dreamed that he’d be told they weren’t even from the same world. It was crushing, not that Steve buckled under the tightness in his chest.

”Well then you’re right, I’m not him.” he bit the words out at Tony, ”Because that’s not how I felt.” He was so damn tired of hearing about other versions of himself, both those who had done so much better and those who had done so much worse. And the Steve that Tony knew? Steve didn’t think he liked that man. Because helping Bucky, fighting against Tony, it had broken something in Steve to do it, he hadn’t wanted it. And when Tony had shown up in the bunker in Siberia, Steve had let down his guard, he’d done it so easily…

He wondered if Bucky had seen it. How quickly and easy Steve had just let Tony in that day. Maybe that was why Bucky had just accepted it. ”You could have called too!” Yes, he had made mistakes, but so had Tony, and Steve had tried to reach out, sending that phone. ”I was trying, Tony! I went to New York. Not just a call, because I didn’t know if you’d even pick up! I went to talk to you, to see you, and I…” He made a half angry, half frustrated sound, ”And I ended up here!”

He sighed at the punch to his arm, the tension leaving him, causing him to seem to droop a bit, ”Yeah, let’s get me back to being a wanted criminal.”

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony smiled a little sadly, “Yah I get that.” This Steve didn't love him, if his Steve ever really had. Tony shook his head. “You. He. Left me in Siberia to freeze to death. So yeah not exactly a conversation I wanted to be the one to start.” He but out bitterly. Yes his AI’s had known where he was and yes he was eventually picked up. But for thouse hours he'd frozen alone, huddled around the broken bits of his armor. Freezing to death in the tundra had felt a hell of a lot like burning to death in the desert.

Nat had found him cannibalizing bits of old soviet machinery to power his suits heaters, nursing broken collar bone and bruised everything.

That didn't stop him from working to amend the accords or to get pardons in the works as soon as he was home.

Tony rolled his eyes, “really? Your Tony is that much of a spineless dick weasel? You think he's not working on making sure Captain America and his buddies can come home?”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

The accusation hit Steve like ice water rushing into the Valkyrie. Steve stiffened and looked at Tony with incredulity, ”I left you the quinjet!! I made sure you had a way home! That was why I left with T’challa!” Yes, the king had taken them all in, providing shelter to the rogue Avengers in Wakanda, but the reason Steve had initially left with the man was because Tony needed a way home. Steve didn’t know everything about the Iron Man suit, but he knew that there was no way Tony would be able to fly home in it. He knew how much damage he’d done to the suit. And he had worried about how hurt Tony had been…

Looking at Tony now, being accused of abandoning him to die... ”I didn’t do that. I… How could he have done that??” It was horrifying, to hear that some version of him, in a world so like his own, he could have done something so terrible to Tony. Steve reached to Tony, gripping his shoulders gently, and something in him shifted, pulling a small sound out of him as he fought against the desire to hug this man. Tony, even if he were from another world. ”God, Tony, I’m sorry… It wasn’t me, I couldn’t have done that… I…”

That was when Steve lost the battle against himself, he didn’t force Tony, but he tugged, just a gentle request of a movement; pulling him, should Tony allow it, into a hug, ”I can’t imagine doing that. I can’t begin to accept that that was me. Even another me…”

With a sigh, Steve shook his head, ”I hope. It’s been a year, Tony, and not a word. I gave you a year, and nothing. So I got on a plane to New York. And if I hadn’t found myself here, well…” Steve smiled, ”Well, I’d either be talking to you in New York right now, or be sitting in a jail cell.”

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony began to laugh, a harsh humorless sound, “wow. That's. That is perfect.” Because the version of Steve that had never lived with him hadn't left him to die. And the one that had- “Guess that really was his way of breaking up.” Tony quipped.

“Could have just sent a text-” tony was cut off by the tug on his shoulders, folding him into a Steve hug. Damn it.

“Hey.” Tony patted his back awkwardly, holding his broken heart together, hidden under steel armor. “It's not you. And I'm not me.” He joked. “Not your fault.”

A year? “Time dilation.” He muttered, “six weeks, you died six weeks after Siberia.”
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

There was nothing perfect about any of this! This was so far away from anything even approaching okay or alright or… ”Stop, please, just…” Steve closed his eyes, taking a moment to try to let the information settle.

Some version of himself had left a version of Tony, a version that Steve had been with, and Steve had to imagine that Steve had loved him, to die in Siberia. Why hadn’t Steve just left the damn quinjet?? Why hadn’t this other version of himself thought to make sure Tony could make it home?!

Steve couldn’t come up with an answer to that. He pulled Tony into a hug, because there was nothing he could do to make that right. Nothing. God, his other self had left him to die, no wonder Tony couldn’t forgive him. No wonder at all. ”It wasn’t me, but it was you, Tony. He did that to you, and you deserve so much better.” Maybe it wasn’t his fault, but he still hated it. And he hated this other version of himself for doing what he’d done, for being so much less than Tony deserved. They weren’t that much different, though. Steve knew, in his world, he had failed Tony, too.

Six weeks after Siberia… ”Not in my world, I didn’t. A year, Tony, it’s been a year. I shouldn’t have waited so long. I should have gone home earlier. I…” Steve raised his hands, leaning back just enough to be able to cup a hand at Tony’s cheek, shaking his head, ”I never told you how I feel. I should have. Maybe it wouldn’t have changed anything. Or maybe things would have been worse, I don’t know…”

Marvel-MCU-1

217 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony froze. He knew that tone. “Stop.” he grunted out, stepping away. “I’m not him.” Tony scrubbed at his face. “Look I made a mistake last night. Alright? The guy I was looking for died 24 hours before i fell into this fucked up Alice in wonderland acid trip. Yeah I was delusional and willfully blind.” He admitted his faults. “But you? Me?” Tony pointed at each in turn. “We don’t know each other. You need to go home and tell your Tony this shit. Or go to that one that killed his Steve.” Tony rubbed a hand over his chest, an involuntary reaction to the spreading ache; the orange spidering outwards would have clued him in that it wasn’t all in his head for once.

“Me? I have to go back to that world, that may or may not exist, to a cold life knowing that in another world? There’s a Steve out there that actually wanted to be with me and still picked his bestie from the frozen north over what could have been.” Tony laughed. “Infinite universes.” And in one of them maybe he was happy. Probably not though, that seemed to be one of those ‘universal constants’.

“Gimme a week. One way or another i’ll get you home. And hell if its to a jail cell than i’m sure Justin will be more than happy to break you back out and bring you back here.” Tony held a hand up to Steve. “One week and you can tell your Tony everything.” Tony turned on his heel, stalking to the elevator.
Marvel-MCU

210 Posts
8 Threads
Nyte

Morning Afters

Stop, Tony said. Steve frowned at him, ”You suspected last night, you suspected, but I didn’t, Tony!” the anger in his tone was softened by the confusion and the hurt, ”Am I asking too much to just have a second to process that you’re not the man I know? That I’ve been talking to a different Tony this whole time and didn’t even know it?!” He shouldn’t be angry with Friday for not telling him, but he was. He was angry that she had known, had to have, because the Steve in their world was dead.

”How could you only suspect if I was dead?” Steve pulled away from Tony, eyes wide with betrayal that perhaps he shouldn’t feel, but he did. He felt it keenly. Betrayed and used, because Tony had known, or suspected, but he had all but known… And he’d slept with Steve for what? To say goodbye. To some other Steve. Not because he was important, but because…

”I saved Bucky, Tony. That’s all I wanted. Has it ever occurred to you that… No, you know what, you don’t even care, because I’m not even really me to you, am I? I’m just some echo that you…” He shook his head, working to stay calm here, because somewhere, a part of him said that it was understandable, and that he might have done the same thing.

A week. Steve closed his eyes, giving a sharp nod. ”A week. Sure.” Steve ignored the way his voice all but gave out at the words. A week and he could… What? Hope that his Tony… ”He’s engaged. He and Pepper, about two months after… Did it in front of the cameras, said they had an announcement.” And Steve’s heart had broken, watching it live. But he’d been happy for Tony, too. ”A week, and I’ll go back.” Steve turned to look out over the cityscape once more, letting Tony go before he turned to leave the roof as well.