4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 628
Smiling.

The feel of wind on her cheeks.

Sharp almost biting cold against her aspects teeth.

Humanity was a skin she rarely wore, yet here and now it was welcome.

Death walked in sunshine and smiled.

There was no where she needed to be, no soul to gather, no fate to embody, no destiny to facilitate, she was simply what she appeared to be for once; a woman taking a walk, stepping out of a district currently in winter Death let the sunshine of the next melt the snow from her shoulders, unbuttoning the carmel colored cashmere overcoat before putting her hands into her pockets, letting it swing open jauntily.

Deaths outfit matched the New York she had just left, one that could fit any number of decades and still be in style in many worlds, and completely ridiculous in a thousand others. How amusing it was to see mortal’s reactions to simple wardrobe choices completely changing their opinion of a person based on their own cultural expectations.

A bird flew into the window next to her head and Death flinched back; a real bird, one brought from a world shifted away had died in Hub.

“Not your time little one.” a slim finger reached out, the bronze color of her nail blending with the birds feathers. “Not here.” the creature shook itself hoping to its feet.

And here she had thought there was no work for her today.

And yet even Brids exercised Free Will to keep her on her toes.
Shadowrun-Tabletop edition

17 Posts
2 Threads
Job: "Travel Writer" (Smuggler)
Ship Status: N/A (looking?)
Sexual Orientation: Yes.
Moon

Queth stumbled slightly with a grimace. It was startling to see how much of her walking was reinforced by her strength. She didn't even need to turn off the strength boosters here but she was trying to learn how to pass as normal for the worlds where the tech doesn't help her much. Part of her wondered how much it would cost to start stockpiling vehicles in each borough that would work in their respective worlds. Just drive everywhere. Still- vegetarian lifestyle or not, Low calorie soy based meals or not- Queth did need exercise to maintain her shape. She also hadn't given up and had a muscle weave implanted so she had to work to keep her left side moving in good form.

Her annoyance with the fresh air was cut swiftly short by the skeleton- or. woman? walking through the area with clothes that Queth recognized from her youth. For a moment she was dizzied by the two versions visible in her eyes.

Queth thanked her lucky stars that the biological and electronic processors in her head puzzled out some of it. Snapping the cybernetic eye shut Queth smirked slightly with the confirmation that yes, she could only see the skeleton this way. (A skeleton that her connection to the matrix (and it's various available programs) told her belonged to a male of mixed descent.) Switching eyes Queth found only a beautiful woman in her sight.

Was it an illusion spell? Queth knew from experience that most spells of that variety could only work on biological entities- and that it took a higher caliber to work on cybernetics. It had gotten her out of some sticky situations in the past but what in the hell would possess a random passerby to cast such a spell on themselves?

Clicking her tongue, Queth went over to the stranger. It occurred to her that this might be rude- but then she remembered that she didn't care. "Excuse me. Why are you a woman who looks like a skeleton? Or a skeleton who looks like a woman?" She asked bluntly.
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Death noted the mostly soulless near immortal, there was little to draw a passer by to her and so the incarnation of immortality had thought herself free from the demands of fate.

Ahh free will.

“Neither. And both.” A delicate finger stroked over the no longer deceased birds crest, soft golden blue tinted sparks danced around it as it shook itself.

“I am as much a woman as you are Rachel, and as much a skeleton as you are Quethadia.” The bird hopped to the end of her hand, Death gave it a boost into the air.

Death turned to face her a soft smile curling over her lips, “how are you here?” The grammar might sound confused, but the question was exactly phrased. Death reached out a hand to stroke the living skin on her cheek.

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Quethadia blinked stunned at the reply. Without a word she reactivated all of the extra systems in her 'ware. The mental command shifted immediately to activating the weapon slide in her arm which moved her pistol from it's concealed position to her hand. She presented the weapon, tip pointed at the approximate heart of the- lady skeleton- person- thing. Still, Queth hummed conversationally. "I feel at a disadvantage as I don't know your name. Nor how you came to know either of those names." She did a shrug of her own shoulder, keeping her other steady to avoid ruining her aim. "Though I feel required to correct you that you have that backwards. Rachel is more of a skeleton than Quethadia. And not just counting how many bones Quethadia is missing- though that too I suppose."

Thinking on the stranger's question Queth pulled her other gun from the waistband of her jeans and waved it a little more loosely. The other individual ought to be grateful that the smuggler's response was actually non-lethal rounds when surprised. Though perhaps less grateful that Queth was waving around a gun filled with high explosive rounds.

"How am I- comma- here? I'm doing fine thank you. Just wondering how you came across a dead woman's name." She said thoughtfully. This was turning out to be considerably more interesting than she had expected her walk to be. "How am I here? I assume the same way anyone is. How am I here? well in the grander scheme of thing then at some point somebody who was an elf was no longer an elf and had children. Presumably." Finally with a raised eyebrow that said Queth thought she had actually understood the question she continued. "As for how I'm here- I drove. Suddenly the desert had walls. And then I went on a walk."

Allowing the caress of her flesh, so long as it didn't evolve into a sudden move Queth jerked her head in a nod at the other. "My turn. Will you give me an actual explanation for the dual nature or should I just assume it's your style to fuck with people?"
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Deaths faint smile never faltered as she was threatened, there was nothing that could kill her and very very little that could begin to harm any of her forms unless she allowed it.

“I will always know your names. The ones you were given when you opened your eyes for the first time, the ones you took when you opened them in your second life, the ones you will keep when you close them the final time.”

Death shrugged softly, “Rachel was when you still had a woman's heart. This who stands here is a shadow of her, burned out so that you might never feel that heart die again.”

Who was she? “We have met before, the first time I held you as your sister’s blood ran cold, buried under concrete, you have seen me in the corner of your natural eye every time you allowed a part of your body to be ripped out and replaced.” Death shook her head, auburn curls bouncing with the motion. “You know who I am.”

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth couldn't decide whether she was feeling sociable or just annoyed.

Realistically it was probably a combination of the two. Biting back a groan, the smuggler twirled her guns unnecessarily as she put them away, going as far as to reset the slide in her arm properly. This person obviously had some sort of omniscience- which was confirmed with the explanation of who she was.

The pseudo maybe immortal knew for a fact that she was the only one who had made it out of that restaurant with sufficient functionality to be going on walks which meant that this was-

She sighed. "And the Hub gets weirder. What brings Death out for a stroll this afternoon?" A pop up flashed in front of her eye confirming that while yes there were other deities and the like that fit the description, Death was the best match by a long shot. This variant of the individual was admittedly a little different than Queth anticipated but then she wasn't really certain she had anticipated Death.

'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition' Her mind helpfully supplied while she pulled out a cigarette and lit it. She waved it thoughtlessly to draw attention to it. "Do you mind if I smoke?" Queth asked, despite already doing so.

Cigarettes were much easier to come by in other worlds as she had quickly discovered upon entering the Hub. They reminded her of when she first started running and smoked relentlessly- trying to show her affluence- it hadn't taken too long to realize she was basically lighting her credit on fire. Now she just discovered she actually sort of liked the habit.

"On the earlier topic- I feel obligated to point out that I didn't exactly have a whole lot of options regarding the keeping of my soul. 'ts'not like they could regrow me." Queth added probably well after the fact, mouth curling around a puff of smoke. It wasn't like the tearing of her soul had been her idea. She had just reaped the benefits and lost a tiny bit more to make herself stronger.
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“I was simply...walking.” Death gestured to the snowy city scape behind them, the division line between the two Boroughs made clear where the snow ended between two New York's.

“Even I take a moment to enjoy the world.” She simply nodded with a tilt of her head to the question, “of course.” She was not the creature to stop someone from anything after all.

“There are are always options.” Death simply stared at her, the girl could have taken her embrace, she'd chosen life instead. “And here there are more.” Death waved a hand to encompass the Hub and the opportunities there in.

“Will you stay? Or simply pass through as a way point?” She wondered curiosity coloring her tone.

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth made a noise of understanding regarding the walk- she had been doing similar when she had come across the Reaper. "Would you like company on your walk?" She said without thinking. It almost made her scrunch her face in confusion- she wasn't that kind of person. But then, Queth supposed that she had never met anyone quite like Death before. The Reaper just had this feeling of peace to her that Queth was unused to.

She ducked her head slightly to acquiesce that yes, Death would know she had other options. Queth would call them worse options but considering how often she tried to get herself killed, she wouldn't be able to say for certain that it wouldn't have been better to die surrounded by her family. She did stow the more comment for future reference. Did that mean somewhere in the hub, she might be able to find the magic to return her limbs?

Queth only managed a hum at those thoughts before addressing her question. "I don't know honestly. I don't really do staying- I've been 'passing through' for the last fourty years. I do intend to spend more time passing through here than where I come from if that answers your question."

She shrugged slightly. "I doubt that you do but if you need anything smuggled, let me know." She added to the previous thought even as she tried to decide whether or not to ask the question on her mind.

'What happens when someone dies?' She held the question back. She had long ago come to terms with never seeing her family again- hell she was just grateful none of them had ended up spirits.
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Death smiled softly, not many willingly spent time in her company once they saw her. But than she could hardly blame the living for wishing to keep her at bay. And there were aspects of her that would gleefully take the opportunity to reap an unwary soul.

“This place is well for the weary.” Death wrapped her arm around the other woman’s palm lightly curling around her forearm. “There is the ability to see new, while remaining in place.” Death chuckled, “you might be surprised. There are always things that need to be done in the moral realm.”

Oh the poor girl, Death shook her head, “For some-” Death nodded to the buildings around them as they bled into fantastical natural structures. “This is the afterlife. The people here are...interesting.”

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth hummed in amusement, even as the sensation of the cold skeletal fingers send minuscule tremors along her skin. Who knew, apparently the elf still had some form of self preservation instinct- no matter how deeply buried. Of course it didn't matter as she shrugged off the feeling and accepted that if Death were going to reap her, there wasn't a whole lot she could do to stop it.

She did her best to keep her shoulders from slumping in defeat at the weary comment. Even though she figured that if anyone knew for a fact that she was it would be Death- Queth would still hold herself with any dignity she could scrounge up. "Well let me know, It would be quite the thing to put on my non existent resume." She said with a quite chuckle. Death's smuggler would be quite the title.

She held back a surprised noise though at the comment of the state of the place. Queth swallowed hard around her suddenly dry throat. Sucking in a deep breath she loosed it, regaining her composure. She made a humming non-committal sort of grunt. "That's- ah. Interesting." The elf said- she had avoided any type of religion, any type of opinion on the afterlife- for a very long time. Even if her family- Rachel's family- were there, she wasn't the person they'd want to see anymore. They'd hardly recognize the woman she'd become.

Who knows, maybe they would have designed a happy life for Rachel Lamont. She would rather never see them again than destroy that happy fantasy.

"So other than admiring the world- er worlds- What does a reaper of souls do in their spare time?" She paused slightly. "And- She- He- They? Do you have a pronoun preference? My matrix connection registers your skeleton as male- though obviously I can see that you at least partially present as female."
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Death smiled up at her, “It would not be the first time I have had to use a living agent.” Death patted her arm again, as they walked, she slowly almost imperceptibly shifted; becoming shorter, auburn waves gaining slow threads of grey only to shift to pure white. Her clothing became soft grey gossamer folds, ice crystals floated away as she walked. “I am many places.” She attempted to explain, “here and there and everywhere, billions upon billions die every second across the universes and some part of me is with every single one.” Death smiled up, now blue eyes twinkling with amusement, “But the part of me that is here rents and sells buildings for those that wish to make this their home.”

Lady of Winter now Death moved towards a cafe where she was not close to the most fey looking creature.

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth watched in fascination as her companion began to change. Sure it required her to turn her head almost entirely towards her- and keep one eye closed so that the only side she saw was the changing one- but it was worth it. The pure magic was incredible to watch. She nodded her understanding, grateful again for her ability to split her mind.

"A variety of omnipresence." Queth offered, as the immortal on her arm explained with far more words than necessary. Moving on to the latter part of the comment the smuggler made a curious noise. "And how does Death come to own a large amount of real estate? And what are the chances you have an empty mechanic's garage?" She said, though the second question was mostly a joke.

As they approached a café, Queth wondered at what point Death had taken over the steering. Following her lead the elf withheld a shrug as they came closer. If Death wanted to go to a café- well Queth didn't have anything pressing to deal with. "I'd maybe offer to buy you a drink but I haven't really grasped how money in the hub works yet."
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Yes!” Deaths laugh held an echo of church bells, deeper, full of echo's that should not exist. “Very much so.” Ice blue eyes twinkled with amusement. “So here I ‘slum it’ and part of me has a vacation.” Death settled into a carved oak chair, “Of course I do!” Death winked. “We need to go to my office for the contact but I think I can set you up next to a lovely Doctor and Alchemist sharing the other buildings on that block.”

Money was- “everyone handles it differently, most accept barter. There are a few more ‘standard’ currencies accepted. But most of the set shops will convert what you have into their personal worth for their goods. Some worlds gold falls like water after all.” Death waved a hand smiling at the girl across from her. “But don't worry I will get this one. Hub makes sure that you cannot be poisoned accidentally so feel free to try new things.” She gestured to the menu, translated courtesy of the mechanics of this place.

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth perked up slightly at the idea of a garage of her own. She had a brief dream of a room filled with the tools to maintain her vehicle- as well as vehicles that would work in other universes. She wondered if they had bespelled vehicles that propelled themselves for the universes without engines. Queth found a surprising desire to grin at the idea. She bit the inside of her cheek to destroy that urge.

Still, Queth wasn't going to stop herself from inquiring further. "I'd need help to work out payment but I would be very interested in finding out more." She said- even as the topic of bartering came up. How was one supposed to pay in bartering. Of course, if favours would work- Well. Death had already implied that she might have use for the smuggler's specific skill set.

Of course- Queth also had the nest egg she had once set aside for a home. Something she could spend on things to exchange.

She'd have to work that one out. But later if her companion was willing to buy her a drink for the now.

"Thank you." She said about the offer for a drink- even though she ended up ordering the rather traditional coffee. It wasn't traditional for her home dimension after all. She hadn't actually had a chance to try it after entering the hub. She would have to compare it to soykaf- see if the taste of it was actually worth the cost that people paid for the real stuff in her Seattle.

She was annoyingly fond of the flavour. Something that put a pout on her face- Queth would only be able to afford this in her home reality if she forwent everything else. Guess she ought to learn how to barter properly.

"So- Do you know why the hub is so accommodating?" She said out of pure curiousity. If anyone knew the answer, Queth figured it must be Death.
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Death inclined her head, “as with most merchants I will take barter or if you prefer a percentage of your earnings.” Death smiled, “the one thing I require is that you do not create or repair anything that would unnaturally perceive this place.” Taking a sip of her steaming drink Death worked to clarify. “You see me-” she gestured to herself “because you have known me before. There are people who come here who are not prepared to witness that kind of truth. To do so would damage them beyond salvation.” Her blue gaze swept to include the bar they were in “only those who have touched me can perceive this place, there are others that have criteria that you can never meet.” She smiled apologetically, “and some you would never wish to. As you would have been happier not being able to see this or my face.”

Death contemplated her question, “maybe it's lonely.” Death smiled whimsically, “perhaps there are threads of fate that can only be stratified through this place, perhaps this is truly the afterlife and all are simply...visiting. Perhaps all or none.” And perhaps Death knew or perhaps there were things even beyond her.

She was not all knowing after all.

17 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Queth nodded along though she was remarkably confused. She didn't really think she was capable of making anything that would unnaturally perceive- the the whatsit. She was amused by that considering at over 80 she thought she was pretty on top of most things understanding wise.

"Considering my lack of magical talent I should think that will be easy to manage. So long as vehicles don't count as unnaturally perceiving the world." She replied, even as her mind was planning a supply run to her world to retrieve vehicle repair tools.

Queth perked up again at the comment about people she couldn't meet- Though she hardly had any desire to break death's rules. She added a non committal shrug after. "I've had a very long time to come to terms with what happened that night- and where I am know, knowledge is power. So I don't mind being able to see you or this place."

The elf blew at her drink to cool it slightly before sipping at it, stubbing out the remnants of her cig while she was at it.

Her eyebrows shot up at the idea of the hub being lonely. She hadn't thought of the hub as a sentient creature- though that would make increasingly more sense. "Huh." Queth replied helpfully.
All-All

63 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Death simply inclined her head, “Science is unnatural in some respects. But if anyone come to you asking for a ‘Muti-phasic’ or spectral viewing device...that would be appreciated not to be created, and for you to tell me who asked.”

Smiling Death’s lips quirked, “Not always my rules.” She responded seemingly reading the girls mind, “And not to exclude, but you will never see the heart of a star...but there are ones here who have. And that has changed them, just as you have been changed simply by sitting here. After all few can boast Coffee and cake with Death and return to the living world unscathed.”

Death but into the small steaming cupcake to emphasize her point.