Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,584
“Dr. Halloway. Mr. Stark requests the honor of your presence in the lab at your earliest convenience.” TADASHI’s more formal voice and phrasing choices along with the fact that he well sounded male, made it clear that it was not FRIDAY.

And unlike JARVIS, the flattening of some of the vowels gave him a more Asian rather than British accent.

“Hey.” Tony glanced up when Justin entered, grease stained, clearly not slept and probably on his twenty something cup of coffee Tony didn't look great...but he'd also looked worse.

“So I saw that you fly.” A pen spun between his fingers, the outward sign of his agitated nature. “Read the file on you. Here-” Tony slid over a pair of flight boosters and a thin mask. “For extra atmospheric.” He explained.

This was how Tony Stark said ‘thank you’ he made things.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Superhero/Doctor
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 831
This was such a typically Tony Stark thing to do.

Justin looked irritatedly at the ceiling, then just shook his head. He had been wondering why he was locked out of the systems today, with Friday not answering any prompt, this irritating voice chiming in instead. It was such a typical, classic Tony Stark move: Cut off the one person that had actually been keeping him company, and then the next day summon him like a fucking king in his castle to finally explain.

Rolling his eyes, Justin swirled on the cape as he headed for the door. It’d taken him a while to realize why this habit had taken root: He didn’t trust this world. He didn’t trust that things didn’t make sense here, he didn’t trust the way that new worlds could just ‘appear’ somewhere or other, and he didn’t trust things not to disappear as well. Was he going to just leave his cape lying around and risk it vanishing? Not on your life.

He looked at the gifts that Tony presented by way of an introduction. Was this Tony’s way of thanking him? Was it his way of bribing him? Either one was pretty likely, in all honesty. He examined the thrusters, picked them up, turned them over in his hand, considered them a moment. “You must not have read the good files,” he said, putting them back down, sliding them across the table. “The cape does it all. Top speed that we haven’t even clocked yet, precision maneuvering… don’t know how we could improve on it, really.” Did he like thumbing his nose at Tony’s tech? All right, a little bit. Noticeably, he didn’t slide back the upper-atmospheric breathing mask. That really was useful.

“Feeling better, I see,” Justin said dryly. Was he happy about how things had gone, with Tony refusing to recover and them using magic where his medicine was doing perfectly well? No, Justin was not, not one bit.
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Maybe.” He agreed quickly flip. “Your version is a bit more paranoid than I am which is you know saying a lot.” The grease pencil useful for marking metal, spun around his fingers. “Not a lot of detailed info on his Avengers.” And that was also very clearly on purpose. It was possible Tony hadn't dug deep enough but he was getting the distinct impression that there wasn’t more. Which might mean he was only trusting organic storage.

“Works in space? Because those will.” The pencil stabbed out gesturing at the gauntlets. “Also have a energy damper ...should take a hit from say Thor's hammer and keep your pretty face intact.” Tony lifted a mug to his lips only to grimace at the metallic taste. Clearly some sodder had gotten away from him.

A clawed robot nudged a second mug closer. “Thanks Dummy.” His absent praise for the bot included what looked suspiciously like a ‘chin’ scratch.

“Gotta say Doc Holloway-” it was clear from his inflection he'd been half a beat away from saying ‘holiday’ “not a fan of the hair cut. But do enjoy the thinking with all my brains in the right spot.” Tony sort of half flicked, half nudged the gauntlets back with patiently fake casualness.

“Enjoying yourself? Need anything? Could argue more your tower than mine I suppose...but hey my name on it right? Possession 9/10ths and all that.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

“Or maybe you just haven’t used the right access codes,” Justin said. Really, he hadn’t read the file on him, for all he knew it left out the stuff that Tony couldn’t explain, which was another classic Tony move, but he couldn’t resist throwing that one out there. It might end up causing Tony to spend days trying to hack hidden databases that weren’t there, if he was anything like the Tony Justin knew.

Although now that he thought about it, he didn’t know if his cape worked in space. He didn’t know why it wouldn’t, it worked underwater, space wasn’t that different. “Never had a chance to try,” he admitted. “Going that high, figured I’d have to worry about freezing to death before I had to worry about my cape not working.” Well, plus asphyxiation, but the mask should help with that now, so he wasn’t going to bring that up.

When the gauntlets got pushed back to him, he picked them up, trying to not show that he was figuring out how to get the things on. At least they weren’t full gauntlets like Tony wore with his armor, he generally counted on having manual dexterity in the field. You never knew when someone was going to get hurt and need to be treated. All in all… well, he had to admit, not bad.

“Well, have to make the best of being stuck here, right?” he said. “Guess I’m handling it all right. What do you have Friday tied up on? She never takes this long to make the next move when she’s three moves from checkmating me.”
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Heater!” Tony tapped the mask in Justin’s hands. “Took a page from Quill’s; should keep you from freezing solid for about 15 minutes, 30 if you don't mind a little freezer burn.” At the mention of his AI, Tony’s tapping finger withdrew. “Cap appropriated her. She's hanging out in his laptop.” Yes he knew where his tech was hiding out.

Tony hadn't commented because: one he
Didn't want to start another THING with Cap at the moment and two because ..well he might have overreacted.

“Anywayyyy-” Tony reached out adjusting the fit once Justin had donned the gauntlets, “I have a few theories how to open interdimensional portals. So if you're eager beaver to get back. I need some samples to match your quantum resonance with your home universe.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Steve's laptop. Really, that's what he was going with? Justin gave Tony a look that clearly said he wasn't buying it. "Friday had her digital fingers in every part of this building. She can multitask more than enough to get bored just sitting in the laptop running the complicated processing requirements of a guy from the forties. What's really going on here?" Unless Steve had suddenly learned how to be an extradimensional hacker, he didn't see Friday having very much to do for the man.

All right, so Tony wanted to help him get home... him, in particular, which of course made him suspicious. "Doesn't everyone want to get home? Don't you?" he asked. Unspoken, of course, was the question of why Tony wouldn't want to go home, and the implication that Justin didn't trust whatever that reason was. It was a bit unfair, he knew, he didn’t even know this Tony Stark, but when you were taught to be suspicious of Starks, you were taught to be suspicious of all of them, not just the familiar ones. All the same, if there was anyone who was going to figure out how they were all going to get home, Justin had to grudgingly admit that it was probably freaking Tony Stark. “What kind of sample do you need,” he asked, just knowing that Tony was probably going to have a smart-ass answer for it.
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Mr. Dr. Not Hammer of Justin might not be buying it but it was the truth; he’d put Friday in the doghouse for her part in keeping secrets from him and Steve had busted her out and was lowkey keeping fugitive style.

Which..

Fine.

“She’s on vacation while Tadashi stretches his legs. Needs the experience, didn’t get a chance to finish him before-” Before Steve left him. “Look just because your version of me apparently stuck you in interdimensional jail don’t put that on me.” Tony bit out stabbing a finger at Justin. Really he had enough of his own sins with out taking on another universes as well.

“Sure. Home fine and Dandy already took my samples and running them.” Tony waved absently to one of the monitors that was studiously crunching numbers. “Not 100% sure there’s anything to go back to but yeah...gotta find out.” the last three words were spoken almost under his breath, eyes gone distant.

“CSF. 2cc’s” Cerebrospinal fluid, drawn from the spinal cord, routine-ish but dangerous depending on from WHERE it was taken. But also half the amount normally taken from a lumbar puncture.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Well, that did sound like Tony, shutting someone down just so they could be replaced by someone else. There was more to this than that, because there were still holes in that story, but trying to pry information out of Tony Stark was like trying to separate a nun from her panties. While one of those might be within Justin’s capabilities (assuming the nun was pretty enough to be worth the effort), one never had been, likely due to a lack of patience on Justin’s side. Well, that was fine. He’d just get the story from Friday. Like he’d said… he couldn’t see Steve really having much to do with his laptop. Netflix didn’t have that many black and white movies.

While the last three words might have been nearly inaudible, they did serve to give Justin pause and make him think for a moment on what kind of a hellish situation had sent Tony plummeting from the sky in a planar hub. He’d more or less stopped asking people about their worlds after deciding he couldn’t take any more of Steve’s… well, ‘moping’ seemed like a strong word, as did ‘self pity,’ but he couldn’t think of a better one. He’d assumed that Tony’s story would be yet more ‘I’m always right, Steve’s always wrong’ nonsense, but then again, they’d established that the two weren’t from exactly the same universe, hadn’t they? “What’s going on there?” he asked, frowning quietly. He had to admit… if he thought that his own world might be destroyed, it might make him hesitant to check into the matter himself.

All the same, the measures that needed to be taken seemed… contrived, even for Tony Stark. “And you need to use cerebrospinal fluid why?” Justin asked, sounding patient, yet obviously confused. Maybe a little skeptical, but that might just be reflex by now. He started to take off his cape, expecting the answer to make some amount of sense to him. He might not be the super-science man, but he was a doctor, and half of the equation here was his specialty, not Tony’s. “Who’s going to draw it out?” he asked. He didn’t think they had another doctor, but maybe this was something their magic ‘healing’ guy could do… not that Justin was bitter or anything. Noooo, not that.
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Thanos came.” Tony answered bruskly, “Death, destruction, mayhem. Last I saw was him putting a hand through Rhodey’s chest.” He used causal language to hide how deeply remembering that continued to affect him.

Of course all of that had come out less than 24 hours, which was why he’d retreated to his lab tinkering and creating both a way to scan for portals, and isolating the unique resonance that defined his personal universe. “I could use a brain tissue sample, but that seems just a little over the top.” he deadpanned bringing out a pneumatic syringe.

“Brain matter is the only organ that doesn’t shed cells, i’ve found trace elements form a unique quantum signature, since i didn’t really want to slice open my head again-” Tony waved the syringe, “CSF, next best thing.” Who? “Me. Already did myself backwards and in a mirror.” Smart? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Very Tony Stark? Yes.

“So bend over Doc, and don’t twitch.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Say what you want about Justin’s attitude toward Tony Stark, but he knew when to drop it, and when the man had to be hurting. “Oh shit,” Justin said, feeling that cold leaden weight in his chest that always formed when the Titan was brought up. “That… I’m sorry, Tony,” he said. And, honestly, he was. Why was he in the Hub? Now, maybe, he knew. That was a problem that was beyond the pale. Their world had been in danger, and now Tony had been stuck here for days. Days often made a lot of difference.

And, to Tony’s credit, the explanation that he gave Justin did make sense to him. The only thing that didn’t was the method. “You… you did what?” Justin shot back, a look of horrified outrage on his face. “Stark, have you actually had anyone credible ever tell you that you’re an idiot? Because that has to be one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever heard! For god’s sake, you had a doctor,” he said, poking himself in the chest with his thumb, “Three floors down from you!” His cape went right back in place. No, as much as he wanted to get home, Tony Stark was not qualified to shove a fucking needle into his spine. Friday could help him with it later, after he’d figured out that mess.

“How about we talk about important things instead,” he said, since Tony’s revelation had dropped Justin’s being away from home way down on the importance list. “Interdimensional portals. Are we looking at complete time/space breaches here? Or do you think we’re locked onto a moving time point when we go back?” That seemed like the most important question to Justin. If they were locked… well, then what had happened had happened. If they weren’t… well, then they could conceivably make the portal punch through earlier enough to go back with him, save Rhodey, and help save the world from Thanos. Hell, if they could make the portal do that, they could take the time to gather up more reinforcements to go back with them, couldn’t they?
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Ok yes it was stupid. And yes he had (briefly) considered asking Justin to take the sample, instead he’d foraged on like the angry badger he was, licking his wounds in private vs asking for help.

“Hey! Look me! Not paralyzed! I think I did ok!” Tony waved an arm at himself. “I did the damn homework first!” He had to after all to figure out pressure and location! “So unless YOU want to try it one handed give me a little bit of fucking credit!” Tony was past the point of responding nicely to pretty boys constant comparisons to someone else, someone who didn’t even LOOK like him. God damn it was like living in the Ghost of his dad all over again!

Tony rolled his eyes, waving a hand to bring up his calculations; “Both are possible. Another reason i need your sample is to compare. The temporal resonance frequency of your universe compared to mine will also tell us if this is time AND space travel or just dimension hopping.”

Which would answer the next question: “I know I can hit the dimensional walls with enough force to crack, but i REALLY don’t want to play that kind of games with temporal mechanics, as tempting as time travel is. Something's are just made to be left alone.” His voice was harsh, firm on that statement. Not to save his friend or his world would he fuck with time. Tony was a futurist and yes a humanist, and there was more to the universe than his one little planet, no matter how much of his own personal universe revolved around the people there.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

“You got lucky!” Justin countered. “The ‘homework’ for doing that is years of medical school and internship! Hell, you could have gone upstairs and had the infirmary systems do it, at least they got their procedures from a damn doctor!” Which, being the doctor in question, he should know, of course. “But hey, a doctor can’t make a space portal, so that means we’re all idiots and you can do whatever we do better, right?” There was a part of Justin that wanted to not compare Tony to his Tony, but… for fuck’s sake, he needed to stop acting as aggravatingly superior as his Tony if he was going to do that.

But, unfortunately, he needed to do this, if he were going to figure out what was going on, so… Damn it. “Let’s… go upstairs. I’ll make the auto-Doc do the draw.” He didn’t like that option, but he liked it better than having Mr. “I googled how to do it” poke a needle into his spine.

“There’s… got to be something we can do about it,” Justin said, not really liking Tony’s take on the time travel theory. Would a few minutes changing really be that bad? Better than letting the world end, he’d bet. “Can we at least hit the moment that you left? That shouldn’t really be traveling through time, would it? It’s just… coming back where you left, just with more people.” Which, obviously, they were going to do, even if they couldn’t hit the same moment.
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Oh come on! I wasn’t doing a heart transplant! They give this stuff to first year’s to fuck up!” Tony just rolled his eyes, “Fine!” he stalked to the elevator taking the ride up with Justin.

There was something old in Tony’s eyes; “IF-” and it was a BIG if “We have already time hopped than maybe not. BUT. It’s been a week, a week where people have lived, died, been born, fallen in love. Lived their lives-” Assuming there was a Earth still there- “And not just on Earth. You are going to wipe all of that away just because my friends may be dead? Time is so fragile, me? Strange? We already played this out, just moving the Stone’s in Time instead of Space, too the future, the past, just a tiny change right? A better world?” The haunted look told the lie. “Changing the past doesn’t work. Sin’s don’t get wiped away, all you have is more broken strings.”

Tony turned away tapping out the instructions on the console. “Also really? You’re going to trust this imaginary hunk of junk over me? Ouch Doc. Ouch.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

“And you aren’t even a first year! By the time you’re a first year, you’ve been studying this stuff for more years!” God, the gall of this man… At least he wasn’t holding that syringe threateningly anymore. That was a plus.

“Would I stop people from dying?” Justin shot back, massively oversimplifying the matter. “Yes, I would. We’re Avengers. It’s what we do. When the universe says that something is how it is, we say ‘right, now where’s the loophole.’ If it’s a week of people’s lives that they have to re-do so that a whole planet isn’t enslaved or destroyed or ruined or whatever Pruneface was trying to do? Yeah, I think that’s something we might want to consider.” But then, they were in a multiversal hub, and… “…But if we’re talking multiverse theory… that still leaves a reality where things suck because we didn’t come back and fix things there. Damn.” Maybe, just maybe, the portal was a stationary point in time. Maybe this was one of those things where you go back and find no time had passed. If so… no reason to question things. They’d go back and save the day. “Let’s table this until we see what we’re dealing with back there. Too many hypotheticals to be arguing over this.”

Justin started stripping off his cape and his uniform top, moving toward the operating table in the middle of the room. “Hey, I programmed all the procedures that this thing can do, hell yes I trust it more than a layman who watched a youtube video on it.” Which, of course, was probably not the extent of Tony’s research, but Justin was still a little indignant. “Tell you what, you let me take all that shrapnel out of your chest, I’ll let you do the spinal tap.” Which, of course, there was no way Tony would trust him to do if he hadn’t already had it done. “System start, voice recognition: Halloway, Justin. Prepare to withdraw two CCs of cerebrospinal fluid.”
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Sucks to realize you're from the bad timeline,” he chuckled humorlessly.

“Oh my god you and Strange must LOVE each other.” He grumbled, eyes rolling. Both magic both with their M.D’s lording it over him, wanting to get their mitts in his chest. “Pretty sure that's not going to happen.” The Stone embedded in his reactor added its own sinister color to his trademark blue glow.

“Ok when the imaginary needle paralyses your ass don't come crying to me to make you prosthetics.” He grabbed the vial once it was filled heading back to the elevator. So much wasted time.

“IF the Earth is still there IF there's anything to salvage than-” he quirked half a smile. “Than we’ll be glad for the help.”

Tony entered the sample, frowning in concentration, “Well first thing. We aren't from the same universe.” He quipped as that was confirmed.

“Also…” tony hummed to himself. “That's...interesting.” He mumbled to himself flicking over the screens rerunning the analysis. “That's...wait how old are you?!” Tony flicked his eyes over Justin. “Remind me to get the name of your plastic surgeon.” Tony’s eyebrows were raised.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Of course he got along with the Doc. Granted, that house of his had creeped him right the hell out when they were all living in it, but that’s just how it worked with magic stuff, he guessed. Not all of it could be easy to understand like putting a cape on. He didn’t argue with Tony’s decision, he just lay down on the table. “All right, but why? What’s so precious about having yourself constantly about to die, except that if you get that removed, you aren’t the one solving the problem?” Which, he was pretty sure, was what the answer was here. If Tony Stark couldn’t solve the problem, it didn’t need to be solved.

If the Earth wasn’t there… hell. Tony wouldn’t really let it stay at that, would he? Well, maybe he could do something about it himself. Like he’d said, they were Avengers. Saving worlds was what they did.

“You don’t say,” he said dryly. Of course they weren’t from the same universe. “Think we already knew that.” He frowned, looking to see what was going on when Tony kept going. Tony saying something was ‘interesting’ was a bad sign, usually. “What are you talking about? I’m twenty-eight, I haven’t had any work done in my life.”
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“I actually got myself fixed about two years ago so no, I don't enjoy not being able to take a full breath, or constantly feeling like I'm about to suffocate.” Tony was really really getting sick of the comparisons. “Again i’m not you Tony Stark.” He bit out.

Tony tapped the out put twice, “Nope sorry sugar Lumps someone fudged your birth certificate cuz carbon decay doesn't lie, your between 50-55 years old.”
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

“Yeah, I can tell you aren’t,” Justin shot back. “You can tell I can by the fact that I’m talking to you. Don’t start thinking you’re that different from him, though. Hell, in some ways you’re worse, at least he wouldn’t try insulting my intelligence pretending his chest isn’t full of shrapnel that I could find plain as day before I did brain surgery on him. He might have given himself any number of health problems, but at least he didn’t let them sit when he didn’t have to.”

Of course, when Tony started going on about Justin’s age, a simpler explanation was shoved to the forefront: Maybe he just wasn’t thinking clearly about the matter. Concerned, Justin activated his medical scanners, the holographic displays appearing in front of him as he spread the display through the air between him and Tony, a cut-away image of Tony’s head materializing. “And that’s a test that you should be able to do in your sleep.” Which, obviously, he’d done wrong, because Justin hadn’t even hit 29 yet. “I think you should come up to the med lab again so I can run some tests. You should have recovered by now, even without your little… faith-healing session. Maybe something Steve’s little friend did threw a variable into it we don’t know about.”

And, on reflection, he had to admit that there might not have been any kind of sex invented that was as good as the feeling you got when you had cause to suggest to a Tony Stark that his brain wasn’t operating correctly.
Marvel-MCU-1

326 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Tell you what how about you pretend for a second that I'm not the same man and give me a fucking break.” Tony really didn't need to justify himself to this guy. He started this trying to be nice, say thank you. And now he was being accused of brain damage.

Because of course.

Why did he try and make nice again?

“30 seconds before I was shoved through that portal the Reality stone decided that it liked the aesthetic.” Tony growled gesturing to his faintly orange glowing reactor. “So not my choice.” He got out between gritted teeth.

Tony waved away the brain scans shoving the projection of the temporal curve he'd been studying. “How much temporal mechanics you know because this-” his finger stabbed out to the dense wavelength out lined in red “is YOUR personal temporal signature. And this-” a blue wave each peak almost three times as distant as the red. “Is mine, and everyone in my universes.”

Tony was NOT a happy camper. Time was SUPPOSE to be a mutiuniversal constant.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

153 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

“See?” Justin said, “That’s all you had to say, was that so hard?” Only and Avenger, he knew, wouldn’t question something like ‘I was rewritten by the Reality Gem and have new shrapnel where the old shrapnel was taken out’. “Doesn’t really explain why you’re so eager to keep it in now, though, unless…” He frowned, his mind reaching for various facts and putting them in order. Yes, he honestly was trying to not put his Tony’s sins on this Tony, but he was learning that their tendencies were a lot alike. No, this one might no have created an extradimensional prison and casually tossed people in there, but he was still just as fond of his secrets, still just as closed-lipped with his information, still just as unwilling to assume that someone else might have a useful idea to contribute. And one of the things that his Tony had done (admittedly, not alone, and Justin honestly did blame that one on Reed Richards) that had seriously bitten them in the ass came to mind. “…Oh my god, you still have it, don’t you. Is that what’s going on? Did you make… this?” he said, making an all-encompassing gesture. It’d explain a lot, really. His experience with the various Infinity Gems was limited, yes, but it wasn’t outside the realm of possibility for them to create a pocket dimension and snatch other people through space-time. Justin couldn’t even bring himself to sound annoyed at the prospect, when you got down to it. He’d just said that they’d been fighting Thanos, and Thanos was definitely one of those things that you needed the nuclear options for.

It didn’t take a genius to figure out how he could have missed an Infinity Gem on the man when he’d scanned him, either. He followed Tony, spreading the medical scan display in the air again, this time settling the scan over his body instead of his head. This time he had to scan for any abnormal readings at all, not just problems, which admittedly was his normal process when dealing with Tony ‘My Body Is A Temple and I am God So I Will Redecorate It As I Please’ Stark. “Hell, this changes everything…”

Justin might not be an expert on temporal mechanics, but even he could read a graph, and this one was simple. “So… are you saying our time is… longer? This doesn’t make much sense, if our time was different, someone would have noticed that by now. Our biorhythms match right up to each other’s norms, and neither of us has had a problem that shows we aren’t used to a twenty-four hour day. Unless maybe you’re only used to a…” Justin thought a minute, doing some quick mental math, “Oh, about a two-hundred day year?”