The Hub
The Reveal - Printable Version

+- The Hub (http://thehubrp.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: The Hub (http://thehubrp.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Wandering Moon Inn (http://thehubrp.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: The Reveal (/showthread.php?tid=661)

The Reveal - Sune - 07-11-2018

Sune rubbed her belly as she walked, tracing the curve of her abdomen. It was absolutely ridiculous of her to worry, but part of her was terrified to take another step. Arjay loved her, she reminded herself. Even if she couldn't read his mind any more, he loved her, and she was more than capable of reading that. It was her domain after all.

Yet, she had no clear picture of how he felt about their child. Whether or not he was tired of her pregnancy, and wanted her only for the things she could offer him. Pure absurdity. He was her chosen. She knew him better than that. Yet she was agonizingly aware that she would give him any thing she could. She loved him, dearly, and she wanted his happiness far more than she cared for her own.

She was worrying her lip as she strode through the establishment, curling her arms around herself as though she would be able to disguise her state by adding bulk to the rest of her shape. Arjay had seen pregnant women before. He wasn't going to be surprised to see her like this- and yet she feared that he would not find her so beautiful now.

Sune stood still for a moment, forcing in a deep breath. Again and again she did the same. She was not alone, she carried a rather active child inside her, and she loved them so, so much. And Arjay loved her. He had loved her before he had known her. He had been speechless to hear their child's heartbeat racing inside of her. He had teased that he would enjoy her pregnancy because he would get to see her more often.

He wouldn't love her less for her state.

Sune repeated that thought to herself as she reached her aura out to envelope the man as she entered his room. Walking over, she managed to hide what nerves ran through her, and she leaned in to press a kiss to his mouth. "Hello, my love. I have missed you."

Moving to sit on the edge of his bed, she smiled at him, large and brilliant. "I thought you might wish to come with me, and find out whether I am carrying a daughter or a son." Sune offered, surprising herself with the shyness she felt saying such.

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 07-11-2018

Arjay was one of those rare folk who didn't see any overwhelming beauty in the sunshine. As an aesthetic, he could appreciate the light of the sun as it shone in different places, but he'd never really understood the draw of the sun breaking through the clouds after a storm. Direct sun after a storm, after all, just made the weather suddenly steamy and uncomfortable. He had, therefore, had to find his own metaphors for a sudden turn in the weather. He'd found it one morning, several years before, after a long night that he'd spent drinking in the midst of a thunderstorm. He'd been in a particularly foul mood that night, though looking back he had to admit that he'd had cause for it. He'd woken up in the morning, lying on the sheltered bench to find the raindrops only gently pattering above him, but when he opened his eyes, across the rain-washed clearing he saw a bright pink wildflower, rain-bloomed and dazzlingly bright against the dark greenery. That bit of unexpected beauty was always what he cast his mind back to whenever someone talked about the sun breaking through the clouds after a long storm.

Today, as he suddenly found himself awash in that divine radiance, he found his mind looking back on that dawning beauty once again. He closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her as she came into his room, savoring it for a moment before he turned around, slipping his arms around her, looking down at her with the eyes of a starving man who had just been shown a feast. He leaned down, kissing her hungrily, almost desperately, pressing her body as tightly against his as her new dimensions would allow. "And I've missed you," he murmured, barely letting his lips part from hers.

Still, she'd come her for a purpose, and so he let her draw him away, kneeling in front of her on the floor when she sat on the bed, playfully kissing her belly. He couldn't remember for the life of him how long it took for babies to start to kick... and any thought of remembering was driven from his mind as he cocked an eyebrow at his love's question. He'd always just assumed that she would just know the gender when she wanted to know. Having to find out somewhere was a bit... unexpected. "You... aren't going to go to one of those humans that blasts the child with sound to somehow find the gender, are you?" Not that he was exactly sure how that was supposed to tell them... perhaps it listened for their voice to respond, too? "Honestly I've always thought that was why Earth-humans acted a bit... addled at times."
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 07-11-2018

Sune held her love's face in her hands as she looked at him. She caressed his cheeks with the familiarity of a woman who knew the man she loved. She could have sculpted his face blindly, and she could still replicate every curve and plane of his visage.

Seeing Arjay- It was not the sun after a storm for her. Rather it was the breath of fresh air when you haven't noticed the diminishing oxygen. It was the sudden awareness of something you had been missing, that you hadn't been able to breath quite right until that moment. The tension in her shoulders lessened as she kissed him again. It was much too easy to conjure images of the worst possible situations when you had been away for too long.

And Sune had been away, for far too long.

Their baby wiggled inside her at the hug, making a laugh bubble up in the Goddess's throat. "I believe I told you last time that missing you was a concept beyond our child just yet- I would say that if their squirming is any indication, they are as excited to see you as I am."

His kiss to her skin confirmed that when the baby started thrashing with new found energy, rudely kicking her in the ribs. She glared playfully at her belly. "Hey hold off on the kicking just yet." Sune murmured, before feeling another kick. She rolled her eyes and chuckled, taking Arjay's hand and laying it on her abdomen.

"Speaking of the average human baby, they shouldn't be strong enough for anyone but their mother to feel the motions for another month or there about." Obediently, baby kicked a few times in the same spot underneath their father's hand. "But our child is not average, and is a little stronger than most." She offered, pleased and whispering words of affection to their little one.

She laughed at his response. "That was my plan, yes. Though it works a bit differently than just that." Pulling him up to sit beside her and curl into his side, she laid her palms out in front of them both.

Above one hand she built a small forest and above the other, a bat. As waves bounced out from the bat's mouth, they bounced back after hitting an object. "Its the same idea as an echo- and how bats see. They determine where things are based on how the sound reflects or is absorbed. I wanted to find out at the same time as you." She explained, before her grin turned softer. "And the ultrasound is perfectly safe for a baby."

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 07-12-2018

Arjay rose from the floor, slipping onto the bed with her and letting her curl against him for their little conversation. Oh, it might be perfectly seviceable to sit down and talk like anyone else, but this wasn't anyone else, especially not to him. He kept his hand resting on her belly, smiling every time the little one kicked at the touch against her skin.

Oh, and he still didn't quite understand how this human cacophany machine was supposed to tell them a blasted thing. Bats used their voices to tell them where to go to latch onto insects, yes, but he wasn't aware that they somehow heard the shape of things. "Whatever you think best, but wouldn't magic be much easier?" he asked. He'd seen some of the technology that humans made, and most of it reminded him quite a lot of gnomish contraptions (particularly the exlpanations of them), to the point that he had a very, very hard time accepting their advisability over something as tested and logical as a divination. "For that matter, can't you just know the answer?"

He knew that there wasn't much point belaboring the point, of course. She had her ideas about what would be best, he had his. They would discuss them, reason them out, possibly even debate the merits of various ideas, and then they would do what she thought would be best. It was, after all, the way of men and the women they loved.

"By the by," he muse, "I think that my People are rather cross with me. While I was visiting home, the consensus in Myth Drannor among those who thought my presence irritating is that they have been personally insulted by the fact that a goddess can possibly favor me." He leaned over, kissing her shoulder. "Yet another situation where humans seem to be taking better to me."

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 07-14-2018

Sune did so like when he acquiesced to her demands without her having to speak so much as a word. She'd certainly had lovers in the past who required her to spell it out before they'd even consider doing as she requested- and regardless of whether his ease of choice was due to her current state or not, Arjay was so wonderfully obedient. And disobedient when the occasion called for it. The warmth of his embrace, and the warmth of the smile that graced his lips as he felt their child moving, was more than enough for her to disregard any discomfort she felt from being kicked.

She raised an eyebrow with amusement, turning in his grip slightly to meet his eyes. "Really." She replied, voice utterly dry with amusement. "You think that using magic on a Goddess is an easy endeavour? Let alone one that is the physical embodiment of a force of nature. Even if you were to foresee the future- you would be doing so about a divine child, and that would require more power than they will have in order to do so." She smiled despite her sarcastic tone, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his lips quickly. "Which- yes I could know myself without much effort. But as I said, I want to find out together. That is not the same as me telling you."

She laughed slightly at his comment. "Ah. Well, no accounting for taste. I will simply have to cherish you even more for every single fool incapable of seeing your worth." Sune paused, carefully moving a hand up in front of her mouth to attempt to hide her smirk. "Have you been back since they discovered that you are the father of my child?"

@mike short sorry.

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 07-16-2018

Arjay scowled as she played the goddess card on him, which he considered patently unfair. In this particular case, it was just rather insulting if looked at correctly. “So what you’re saying,” he mused, fixing her with a level gaze, “Is that because divine nature is involved, one of the most powerful spellcasters in Faerun has no chance of success, but some minimally-trained adept with a sound-stick is able to succeed?” Did he ever claim that he wasn’t able to be egotistical? No, no he never particularly had.

“However,” he said, before she could start thinking he was arguing that intently against her idea, “If there’s something we’re going to do together, we’d best do it together, even if it’s going to be done by allowing some fool to prod you with some… device shooting sound into your person.” He wasn’t going to stop being disdainful of the technology that he didn’t exactly comprehend (or comprehend at all), of course, but he’d still be holding her hand while it was being used.

And, truth be told, he did want an answer to that question. Or, at least, he thought he did. Did he really have a preference about his child’s gender? He didn’t think so, he honestly had things making him anxious when he considered either possibility.

“Honestly, my love, I haven’t faced that question yet and I haven’t been eager to breach it myself. I’m not certain who knows what, and which goddess they believe I’ve impregnated. My people know me as the chosen of one aspect of you, the humans know me as the chosen of another. I’m certainly not eager to start trying to convince them that they’re one and the same. If you want to see a way to send the elves up in arms over their injured pride, try suggesting to them that their gods aren’t separate and distinct from those of every other race on the planet.” He himself smirked, well aware of how amusing the thought was, even if it was a fairly dark humor. “No, really, don’t tell them that. I’ve no wish to be strung up for heresy.”
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 07-16-2018

Arjay never failed to make his Goddess laugh, her eyes closing automatically as she allowed herself to laugh fully. Their child squirmed along with her, seemingly amused by the motion of their mother's body. Turning her head to rest in the crook of Arjay's neck, she pressed a kiss to his jaw before replying. "Seeing as said spellcaster draws on my power for his spells, I am saying that. I have in the past found that people are generally hard pressed to see the difference between the spell itself and the power it matches."

She turned his head now, stealing a kiss from his willing lips. "And said minimally trained adept spends at least six years training on this subject alone. Considering their relative lifespan, that is nothing to turn up one's nose at." Her smile turned brilliant at his acquiescence. Sune stood, taking his hand and pulling it to bring him upright as well. "No sense in waiting then." She offered lightly, a portal opening to bring them to the technicians.

She considered his point for a moment before offering a slight shrug in reply. "You ought to at least talk to your mother about it. I have heard she was rather surprised by the revelation, though I do hope she may also be a little excited to hear you will be a father." Sune offered, voice soft and soothing. If Arjay could not find it in himself to discuss his mother, she hardly wished to pry. Particularly not when she was walking in to a room and reclining on the bed inside.

Automatically her clothes shifted to something that allowed easier access to her belly as the human in the room gave her a look of startled hurry, her hands flying around the room as she finished the preparations for the ultrasound. Sune smiled slightly, still holding Arjay's hand. "Do you have a preference, My love? Daughter or son?" She asked, hoping to kill the time they must wait with pleasant conversation.

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 07-20-2018

"Not all of my spells are drawn from you," Arjay pointed out, quite truthfully. "And as I would be scrying this particular physical form, its failure would mean that you are resisting it, and that would mean, naturally," he continued, giving her a flat but not unamused look, "That you're trying to be difficult right now." Which was, naturally, a lady's prerogative, but he was a firm believer in calling it what it was. "And six years is about what I would expect to devote to a favored hobby, not an occupation," he griped, continuing his little fuss with good humor as they continued on through the portal.

"We'll be seeing my mother soon enough," he said, his voice more reassuring than putting the subject off. "It'll be good for her to be able to focus on something relatively normal like being a grandmother instead of something vague like the pressures of civilization upon the forest from afar and the magical imbalances they create, or... something like that. There's a very good reason I didn't follow her as a druid."

He gave the ultrasound tech another dubious look as he sat next to Sune, holding her hand in the fashion of expectant fathers everywhere. "Are we certain that this isn't going to cause the child to go deaf? I think that that would concern me quite more than whether the child is a boy or a girl." Her question, though, was a reasonable one, so he decided to give it a reasonable consideration. "I don't necessesarily think I have a preference," he admitted. "I believe that a daughter would cause me no small amount of worry, but that would be years from now, thankfully."
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 07-23-2018

Sune grinned at her lover's petulance. "As I was saying, I do not have a choice of how much our child resists said magic, and they are more than capable of doing so." She offered with a small bump of her shoulder into his. "I could influence them obviously- but I would be far more concerned about what that might to a developing child than what the humans and their 'cacophony' machine might do." The Goddess continued, air quotes around the word he was so insistent on using.

It was funniest to her because she would hear it quite clearly but the noise may not be entirely obvious to her beloved.

Being honest she couldn't remember what elves could hear and couldn't.

"And your life span is ten times longer than a humans- so if you were to multiply the time they spend by ten- would sixty years be how much you spend on a hobby? And on only one facet at that. Rather than focusing on all magic for that time, they focus on the equivalent of three spells for that span." She asked sharply, daring him to continue his derision of her almost species. If he were correct, and she had once been mortal, than she had once been human.

She squeezed his hand with a bright smile at the ease of which he replied. Sune had worried about how he would feel on the topic- she could content herself if their family was just the three of them. She could hardly contain the happiness she felt at his willingness however. He couldn't possibly know how much it meant to her. "Alright, let me know when we will go to see her." Sune replied, trying to keep the pressure from her voice, leaving it in his hands as he trusted her with so many things.

She did laugh- even though it was stopped short at the sensation of cold gel being applied to her skin. She wrinkled her nose in annoyance. Focusing instead on Arjay, even as the annoying buzz started, she smiled at him. "Arjay, it is not beyond either of us to heal the deaf, so even if it did, why would it worry us? But yes, I am quite confident that our child will not be harmed." Sune spoke slowly, rubbing soothing circles with her thumb, even as she looked towards the monitor that was visible to them in order to see their child.

"I am all too aware that what they are born as may not be what they identify as, but I am remarkably excited to begin preparing clothes and such for them." She offered in exchange for his opinion, sharing a mental image of a tiny gown and a tiny tunic, side by side.

Sune gasped with delight as the monitor began to show their child- who with a single well done kick proved to be their daughter. She squeezed Arjay's hand, nearly shaking with happiness and had to put her hand to her mouth to stifle tears of joy. Sune had been resisting looking at their child. She knew that she would know more about their child- their daughter- sooner than arjay would for all things- except potentially this.

The ultrasound tech's eyebrows raised so high they were in danger of tearing free from their muscles. "I have never seen a fetus so eager to share their gender. Congratulations, it's a girl." He mused, despite continuing his look at the demi elf girl in order to ascertain her health.

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 07-26-2018

Arjay still had to give a little huff at the statement of his incompetence (since that was how he was choosing to classify this slander that his magic was insufficient to the task at hand), but he knew better than to argue overly much with her. To be completely honest, he could see several reasons that casting a spell to scry their child might not work, not the least of which being that he'd be scrying into a lightless area, and he wasn't so sure how appealing the idea of getting a look inside his lover was. There were some things that, quite honestly, should be left to mystery, and that was one of them. All the same, given how much he'd tried to make good use of all his years, it still felt like a slight against him, that part he just couldn't help.

It was, therefore, much better to just move along and pretend to not hear any of the more hurtful statements that were directed at his person.

"We'll go to see my family after the holidays are over. They aren't the best time to visit, my mother tends to be far too busy and time ends up being spent amusing one's self while she's off seeing to this responsibility or that responsibility." And, just like that, he'd locked himself into an answer. He found that the idea brought no small amount of stress to him... life was so much simpler when he wasn't spending it trying to manage his family, but this was the decision he'd made, and there wasn't anything that would make him take it back.

Arjay chose to not address her points about being able to counter the risks of this gnome-inspired device that she was being prodded with, because he was a bit too preoccupied watching what was on the screen instead. Yes, it was a rough image. Yes, it took a bit of looking at it from the right angle to figure out what, exactly, he was looking at. All the same, once you had it figured out, you couldn't unsee what you saw. That, on the screen, was their child. It was curled up, moving, alive within her... oh, and it was a girl. It was a girl, who given her parentage, would be beautiful enough to draw the attention of every man she met, including those like her father who had charm enough to challenge the virtue of a saint. He was doomed. And all the same... that, that little thing on the screen, that was his child. The thought was no less profound for all the number of times it went through his mind.

Arjay blinked his eyes clear, wiping them with his free hand. "Magic probably would have given a clearer image," he joked, trying to buy himself time to regain his composure.
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 07-26-2018

Sune wasn't trying to slight Arjay- not even in the slightest. He'd probably come damn close to being able to do as he suggested- which was not something a mortal should be capable of. He may disapprove of her playing the Goddess card- but it was simply the truth. She was a power beyond mortal comprehension, and her pregnancy was but an exception.

She would have loved to know that she was hurting him with her statements, but she was no longer able to without being told. So she grinned at his huff and kissed him soundly. "You are still the best magician I personally know." She offered him, hoping he'd understand that she meant across all universes. Admittedly not of everyone that had ever lived but still.

And there may be some truly impressive magicians she had never met. Her domain rarely attracted magical types.

She squeezed his hand again at the topic of his mother. "It's okay if you've changed your mind about introducing us. I could always go appear to her myself if you'd like. It's been a while since I've visited in a dream. I wouldn't mind." Sune offered softly, hoping to assuage his worries by at least giving him giving other options. "But if you are committed to this- I look forward to introducing your mother to our child."

Sune's attention was somewhat on the screen- but it was easier for her to pull her eyes away. She knew this child. This little girl who squirmed and kicked her at the most inopportune moments, whose heartbeat was strong, steady, and swift. There was something concrete about seeing her move- an image to go with the sensations her mother knew so well. Sune was taking a ragged breath, eyes tearing up with a bright laugh.

But her eyes were fixed on her beloved. Who did and did not know this child, not in the same Sune did. She squeezed his hand. "Maybe." She acquiesced, not really caring too much, but seeing that he needed a moment to himself. A single glowing tear trailed down her cheek before she turned to Arjay properly and pull him in for a kiss. "A girl." Sune whispered. "We're going to have a daughter."

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 08-01-2018

Well, at least she was getting away from the inadequacies of his self, which was a bit of an improvement. He could work on just forgetting she’d said it that way, which was the first step in burying a problem before it could continue being a problem. Outwardly, he gave a petulantly conciliatory huff and accepted her statement. “Do you know Elminster?” he asked, unable to resist a little smirk that touched the corner of his lips. Obviously she did not, or she wouldn’t have made that little statement, but he wasn’t just going to let the subject go yet.

The subject of his family, though, did tend to absorb a great deal of his attention, and her comment drew a flat look from him. He reached out, resting a hand affectionately on her belly. “I do believe, my love, that you’re carrying around quite tangible proof that I am committed to this,” he said dryly, though not without a little smile. The elf couldn’t keep in a bad humor around his loves, and he’d had some loves that had been so thoroughly trying and/or disagreeable that he had quite a bit of practice moving along to better moods just out of sheer necessity. “I’ll not pretend to particularly enjoy dealing with my family on some subjects, but I haven’t backed away from what ought be done.”

A girl. That still wasn’t sinking in completely, but Arjay was slowly adjusting to the situation. He did, he admitted, deal better with women in general, even when it was a completely platonic situation. He knew how to be properly affectionate with women, the way that a child would need from their parent. Hells, his younger siblings were twins, and which one was it that adored their big brother and came to him for advice? His sister, not his brother. This was a good thing, and yet... “This is,” he mused, casting a fond smile at his love, “some sort of divine justice, yes? Teach me what life must have been like for the fathers of all of those innocent-in-their-eyes girls?” A daughter. They were having a daughter, in some matter of months he would have a daughter. If he kept saying it, maybe it would start to feel real to him.
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 08-01-2018

Sune waved her hand dismissively at his reply. "How can one be a powerful spellcaster without being able to touch another's heart?" She replied comfortably. Sune would never claim to be anything but biased. She might care about more than her domain- but nothing was greater in her eyes. Seeing as Arjay was so intrinsically tied to her domains, it was hardly surprising that Sune held his abilities in such regard.

Though her love for him had nothing to do with the powers he wielded, or the domains he worshipped. She loved him because of who he was, no more, no less.

Despite knowing that his reply would be less than sweet, it still made her smile to feel his hand resting on her abdomen, the feeling almost tangibly flavoured with expectation and excitement. She gave a similar rueful smile as she nudged him slightly with her shoulder. "I do not know if I even have grandparents, and I'd like to think that I turned out alright. You will not be a bad father simply because you'd rather not bring our child into a difficult family." She kissed his cheek swiftly, the action little more than a brush of her lips on his skin. "Every parent makes a choice on how they will raise their child- remarkably few of those choices are inherently bad."

She squeezed his hand. "I do not want you to feel that I am forcing a decision on you- whether we will meet your family or not. I want to meet to them if you want me to, and if you don't want to, then I don't want to."

The star struck look in her beloved's eyes was enough to crack Sune's fragile composure. She laughed, the sound vibrant, bouncing through the air, and incredibly full of life. Unable or unwilling to stifle her laughter, her first reply came out a little garbled from her joy. "Then would a boy not be punishment to me for seducing so many sons away from their mothers?" She shook her head, pressing a hand to her lips to quiet her amusement. "As a firm believer that innocence is not determined by one's sexual history, I would not punish you for that." She offered, moving to hold her beloved- until the technician poked her hard in the side and forced her still. She ducked her head in a show of acquiescing- though her full lips curled downwards in a terribly immature pout.

Her pout faded as she looked at her child again. Squeezing Arjay's hand, her warm maternal glow returned. "What do you think we should name her?"

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 08-07-2018

Arjay really could do with less temptation. His family was a source of consternation for him, mostly based on their lack of understanding of his chosen life and the way it deviated from their own. Just avoiding that little source of difficulty was an enormous temptation to him… but then, he wasn’t a coward. Moreover, he loved his family, difficulties and all, and how insincere would it be for him, him, to shun people who loved him? “No, you don’t force me to do anything,” he said truthfully. “Love does. Take that however you wish, it’s still true.”

“Love cannot be blamed for its very nature,” Arjay said, shrugging slightly, a twinkle of mischief in his eye as he looked up at her. “Well, that and the woman is never to blame. We can’t forget the power of universal truths,” he added, smirking… of course, until the tech prodded her in a manner that was, to Arjay, quite unseemly. Did he not realize what was lying before him on this odd table? Obviously not, but for a moment, Arjay’s hand still twitched in the direction of his non-present sword, ready to defend his lady’s honor and comfort.

Some habits, it seemed, never exactly went away.

Thankfully, she had a question to distract him with, and he grasped onto it before he was tempted to start using magic. The child’s name… For that matter, the child of a goddess could not be named lightly, could it? Oh, he was sure that Sune would think he was making quite a great deal of a simple question, but to the elf it was important. This child would not bear his family name (at least not by his choice) for the simple reason that the child would be set above mortal matters by the nature of its birth. But what name would it bear?

An almost offhanded bit of magic kept the tech’s attention on the silly device he was using. Then, touching his own magic, Arjay touched his hand to the other side of her belly again. It wasn’t a spell he would attempt often, or even ever again, but this time, he felt it would work. It was a play on a magic he knew quite well, only now he was gazing farther into the future, letting Heartfire power and guide the spell to where it wanted him to look. All at once, his eyes opened again, ablaze with purple light, a tear slipping from the corner as he peered up at his love. “What name can we give a child born of love’s love, to beauty born of beauty? What name can we give to one who is the result of Love’s very desire? She will be the light that shines so beautifully, the song that sings so hauntingly sweetly. All loves shall pale before that our daughter feels, for the simple fact that none could love more strongly than her parents.” His voice seemed to echo slightly, as if he were speaking back a ways, and it was entirely possible that he was, in a way. His body shuddered, and he leaned forward, pressing his forehead against hers, his eyes closing again. When they opened, mere inches from hers, they were once more the honey-gold that she knew so well. “Mel’inde,” he said, with that delicate, exotic lilt to the word that all elven words seemed to have, “Love’s Melody.” The translation would be pointless, obviously she knew what the word meant, but he did so like how it sounded in common as well. “If she needs a family name, it could be Starwind. It may be known to the forest elves, but the name is mine, and it would give my family no claim toward her.” It also would leave House Lo’Ran unable to take offense to a half-elf being given their name, but he felt no need to mention that part, since being offended at the child of a goddess having your name was as ridiculous as it was likely.
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 08-07-2018

The plump red lips of the Goddess quirked ruefully at her beloved's words. "Yes." Sune offered, voice drier than the Sahara. "What a cruel and capricious mistress Love is." She added, her eyebrow arching at the words. Her shoulders shook lightly with laughter.

"Have you truly forgotten that Love is not just my domain, but that for the time being I am the incarnation of It?" She explained easily, prodding her beloved's shoulder in a similar manner to how the tech had prodded her. She wasn't offended of course. Love drove people to do things, it was part of the natural state of the world.

She was surprised for a single beat as Arjay leaned forward, eyes aglow with heartfire. But that surprise did not remain. She knew this man, who held her belly with such care. Whose tear trailed down his cheek as he spoke of their child with poetry that Sune did not take as idle flattery. How could she? When she knew what he was doing? When she likewise thought that even her own beauty would pale in comparison to that of their daughter's? When his brow furrowed in concentration before he rested it against hers?

The answer was that not only was she incapable of seeing it as insincere, she didn't desire to either.

Sune cupped the back of her love's head, keeping him where he rested, so close to her that she could taste the music of his breath, could fall into the pools of honey that were his eyes. She whispered the words in echo. "Mel'inde." She rolled the sounds along her tongue, a sensation she found rather pleasant. "Love's melody."

She smiled brilliantly at him before pulling him into a swift kiss, though still one that conveyed plenty of her happiness. "It's perfect. Love and music together." She spoke slightly louder now, no longer afraid to break the spell of the moment. "I can think of nothing better or more accurate." Sune added, squeezing his hand as she did so.

She knew that this conversation was beyond their daughter's understanding just yet, but that didn't stop her from addressing her abdomen as she released Arjay's head. "What do you think? Are you a Mel'inde?" Sune cooed- before breaking out in laughter.

She turned to Arjay. "Well, it's probably a coincidence, but she is squirming like mad, so I choose to take that as approval. Mel'inde Starwind. I can't wait to meet her." Her smile turned uncharacteristically shy. So much of this was new to her. The anticipation, the excitement- she could hardly contain herself. She wondered if this is how mortal mothers generally feel.

But that wasn't important, what was important was this moment spun between the three of them. And she wouldn't give it for anything.

She wouldn't give him up for anything.

Her smile faltered as she turned more serious. "Arjay, would you accept a role as my exarch? I can't endow you with further power for the time being- but I... do not wish the time we have together to end."

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 08-08-2018

“Well,” Arjay said mildly, amusement dancing in his eyes, “I suppose that if you want to get philosophical, then yes, your divine nature inspires me. However, when you are with me, you seem much more than simply your position or power.” If he had to guess, he would say that reaching for a family, clinging to him, brought out something closer to her nature from before she was a goddess, or at least before she was this goddess. Certainly, she didn’t seem the completely vain, self-absorbed, vapid goddess that (probably biased) accounts claimed she would be by the very nature of her station. “In that case, there is a difference between doing something because you’re trying to please your lady and doing it simply because you can do no different when it comes to family that you love, as infuriating as some of them might be. Does that answer satisfy you more?” He leaned down, brushing a playful kiss over those wryly quirked lips.

It galled him slightly, and more as time passed, that they were sharing this moment with the (obliviously enchanted) tech. The fact that he was ignoring them was beside the point. This was a moment for just the two of them, and finally, when he couldn’t see why they were still there, Arjay held up a finger to her, waited for the tech to pace away from them a few steps, then took her hand, plane shifting them back to the Hub, to the very familiar destination of his suite. Visibly more comfortable, the elf slipped his other arm around her waist, pulling her close (or as close as Mel’inde would let them get), then leaned in and kissed her, slowly and softly. In all honesty, he loved when he saw her like this, the way that love could even make the goddess herself feel. It was a side of her that only he got to see, and it made his heart swell even further, much as he would have thought that wasn’t possible.

“Everything in my life, I’ve tried to do for love of someone, for good or for ill. I’ve made mistakes for love, and I’ve risen higher than I would have thought possible for love. I’ve laughed for love, cried for love, and bled for love. I’ve been cast aside from love, had it cut violently from me, and still walked right back to it, because there is nothing worth more in life or beyond.” He reached up, cupping his hand over one flawlessly rosy cheek, drawing her toward him again for a brief kiss, blinking his eyes as they inevitably welled up at the power of the moment. “I’ve been more than willing, my entire life, to die for love. I am more than ready to live for it, for as long as you wish me to.”

@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 08-14-2018

Sune was well aware of her beauty. She was aware that she was the picture of grace, that none could match her, her very nature preventing it. She had also lived long enough to know that beauty was so much more than skin deep. That to be a true paragon of beauty, you had to be able to see that in others. That love was a sacrifice at the best of times, handing your heart over to another and hoping that they will not break it. She was, as always, influenced by the beliefs of those around her, but her core being was not one that was unnecessarily brash. Still, Arjay's words spoke to how well he was coming to know her, and it struck her again how wonderful and strange it was that he was the only one who had never influenced her appearance or nature by his beliefs.

She smiled back at him, tilting her head up to meet his kiss, her eyes warm, the mischief draining away for the joy he placed there instead. "Yes." She murmured, squeezing his hand lightly. "Though you would struggle to find a way to dissatisfy me love, I simply wish the utmost happiness for you." Her skin glimmered as the blue goop disappeared and her clothes shifted back to her more traditional gown. Even without looking for the future, or reading her beloved's thoughts, it was easy enough to read his face and intent.

Which was why she was moving to stand as he brought them home.

How strange to think of such a place as home- it wasn't brightwater, she had none of her exarchs to wait upon her, and yet this was were she wanted to be when she rested. A room of a man so many years younger than her, a place that had seen other lovers of his come and go. Yet it was the room where their child had been conceived, where she had first held him and been held by him, and it was by his side that she felt most at ease.

Relaxing into his kiss, she let her mind whisper that word against his own, little more than a flutter of sensation- but clear nonetheless. Home. She sent, reinforcing the word with the happiness bubbling inside her.

His eyes may have welled at his words, but tears streamed readily down Sune's cheeks as he spoke. She had no need for air, oxygen was little more than a pleasant sensation for her, but her lungs burned with the way she held her breath. For just that one moment, she was afraid that any movement would shatter the promise he had just given. He had a way of making her feel like the human whose image she wore, small when she was anything but.

In only the best of ways. He made her feel real. More than something that could be disassembled and put back together. More than a power given face.

She pulled his mouth back to hers, sealing the promise with a hint of her power skimming his skin. Not enough to make a notable change in his capabilities, rather enough that what he was would be obvious to anyone with the knowledge to see it.

She moved her mouth to make words then, to tell him what it meant to her that he would stay with her. That they would get to see their child grow up with them, that she wouldn't have to lose him.

Yet the words wouldn't come. The irony of the Goddess of Love being lost for words to express such emotion was not lost on her, but she didn't care too much, hoping her shy smile and the way she pulled him down for yet another kiss spoke plenty.

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 08-15-2018

Arjay’s home certainly wasn’t Brightwater, but then again, the elf had always had a much different taste in homes than even the nobles of his family. If there was anything that marked his mother’s influence on him, it was that: he was much more happy living in a (spectacularly furnished) tree, all warm, carved wood, than any gilded mansion that you could find on Evermeet. “You realize,” he mused, his hand sliding down his love’s back, casually pressing her against him, “That you are handing an inordinate amount of influence over your faithful to me. Prepare for quite a variety of sects to start competing with each other over whose idea of beauty is ‘right.’” He considered it, then smirked a bit wider. “More than they already do, at least.”

He wished, for just, just a moment that he could feel what she was feeling, just to confirm it, as unbelievable as it seemed. He was a mere mortal, and she was the goddess of love. He shouldn’t be making her speechless… should he? Yet here they were, pressed together, she was speechless and overwhelmed, and he was almost disbelieving that this was real, that he was allowed to have this. He didn’t try to break the moment, he just kissed her, locked himself against her, feeling the magic of the moment, both real and figurative. He could, he realized, use their power to make this all the more real to him, to her, even. The power was within her, and thus was within him, but he didn’t, he kept that magic locked inside. It would work, in some strange way he was sure of it, because in that moment what she was feeling was as mortal as it ever could be, but for that very reason he held back. Some things, he knew, could be more real without divine power meddling in them.

“It’s said,” he finally mused as they caught their breath, “That nothing is quite so beautiful as a broken heart that heals and is brought back to love.” Had he been the one to start spreading that particular bit of fancy? Well, yes, but that was beside the point. “And in that case, you, my love, you’ve created beauty that even a goddess could only hope to manage.” He leaned in, over the very pronounced bulge where their daughter squeezed between them, kissing each of her eyelids, then kissing her tenderly as he slipped around her. He pulled her back against him, his arm wrapped possessively across her chest, his other hand resting on her belly, quietly breathing in the familiar scent of her hair as he nuzzled against her ear. “I love you. I… almost can’t remember how much when you’re gone.” And there was the sad reality of the processes of a mortal mind. While he was kept from remembering the full extent and depths of their pleasure together for his own sake, it did make it all too easy to doubt the reality of it just as one might with any mortal-born love. Honestly, he wouldn’t have it any other way, some part of him knew that he needed that reminder that loneliness gave him to really appreciate their time together.
@moon

RE: The Reveal - Sune - 08-15-2018

Sune had a mansion. There was no other way of defining what her house was- other than perhaps a palace. It had open areas, and rooms dedicated to all of her favourite things- but the bigger a place was, the easier it was to feel that it was too empty. Here and now, in this relatively small building, in the arms of her love, the Goddess didn't feel alone. There were no echoes of unfilled space, all the wasn't filled physically was filled with the sheer font of love the two of them shared, and she was more than happy with that.

She laughed softly at his reply, her voice returning to her enough to prod him in the chest and retort. "You think you had no control over my believers as my Chosen? You could have done more than enough damage if you chose to. Besides, if you think you can do more damage to the faith of my believers as an exarch than as the father of my child- Our Daughter- than you would be quite wrong." Her words choked out on the end, her mischief once more destroyed by her wonder. [/i]Their Daughter[/i]. It wasn't as though she hadn't been well and truly aware that Mel'inde was there- she squirmed enough to make her presence known most of the day- but it was hitting Sune now how real this was.

They would have a family together. They would be a family. He had no desire to leave her. He would stay by her side. He would be more than biological father to Mel'inde. She would truly known him, and Sune wasn't going to have her heart broken by him dying. She didn't need to fear him leaving her sight that he might fall and not wish to be brought back. She didn't want to look too far into the future- loves rarely stayed the same over the years. For the first time in years however, she did believe that he would still love her. One way or another.

She caught her breath while he did, not needing the air physically- but she would have to use magic to make her voice sound without it. She allowed him to move her as he would, twining her fingers with his on top of her bump and resting her head against his chest. Her mouth twisted with melancholy at his words. "I know. I am sorry my love. One day, perhaps, you will know my love at all times. But that day is many days in the future, if it does come. Until then I shall just have to shower you with affection when we are together." She offered, snuggling in tighter against him. "I love you Arjay."

@mike

RE: The Reveal - Arjay Lo'Ran - 08-17-2018

"Oh, I'm certain that I have that same ability, but now there's the added benefit that they all know I won't be going away," he teased. "You always take something more seriously when you know it's going to be a permanent irritation instead of just a passing annoyance." He ran his hand over her belly as she mentioned that little fact, struck momentarily silent (again) by the sheer enormity of the the tiny person growing inside it. In the purely political sense, he was sure she was right that it added some legitimacy to his authority, but on its own he wouldn't even try to make an issue of it. There were plenty of people in the world who had tried to build their authority on the fact that they'd slept with someone important, and in the end, no one really took many of them seriously.

In short, as far as he was concerned, his daughter would never enter into his politics.

And in a way, this new change made some sort of sense, from Arjay's purely theological viewpoint. Sune embodied love in all of its states. She had exarchs that served to preach joy and pleasure, but there were other aspects of love that he could watch over that he had much more experience with.

Not that any of that really spent much time crossing his mind, not when the goddess of love and beauty was in his arms.

"Perhaps it will change some day, but I don't regret the way that it is," he murmured, kissing lightly along her ear. "I always know that I love you, and I always know that that love is returned. Beyond that, do I really need more? When you return to me, I get to feel that love like it's new, and what could possibly be more wonderful than that? In the times between..." He shrugged. "It will make for good lessons for me to teach. I will always need to share you, I have known this since you appeared before me for the first time. It's better that I let the lack of its full impact serve to just make that moment when you return that much sweeter."
@moon